Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Servcie mobility scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kirbi

That's number of posts, not number of vacancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Pamelabeasley

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Post edited by TheDavester on

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

So I am a EO but pretty browned off in my current department.

Will my manager have any say on a mobility application? Do they have to sign off? I have enough trouble getting them to do anything and regularly have to get local HR to handle things like annual leave / flexi clock stuff.

Also can I edit my application after the first application? There are places I really would like to go to but its not the total 5. I am based in Dublin and would just be going elsewhere in Dublin. But this can take years and who knows. I could move and other offices would be preferred in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Your manager can't block your mobility application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

I have a mobility application in for a department in zone X.

The department has 6 offices some 10 minutes from home others over an hour.

If I get an offer from that department and cancel within 3 days will I be left next in line for that department or will I have to start again.

and can I assume other departments in that zone will be unaffected?

Thank you

@deckie27

You would have to start again on that wait list, and can be excluded from applying to it if you turn down too many offers from it in a certain period (I can't remember the bounds on this, but it's in the terms and conditions).

Whether it impacts other applications in the zone depends on when you decline - if it's in the first 3 days of notice (the 'pre-offer' period) it'll just be that application. Afterwards, it's all applications in that Zone.

This is one of the reasons it can be a good idea to place the applications on hold if you'll be out of contact for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Guffy

If I have done two years as a CO and take a position as an EO, do i have to do two years as an EO to be eligible for mobility?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Red Wolf

Yes, you have to be in the grade for the previous two years amongst the other requirements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭daffodill50

2 years service with a 10month mat leave thrown in meaning just recently completed 9 months probation review - how soon will i actually be considered for mobility?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

I am looking to move from my current Department to another relatively large location. I have been on the waitlist for a couple of years and am in the early 20s on the list. It has moved around 30 places over the last two years.

In general, what is the likelihood of getting offered a position before you reach number 1 on the waitlist? Are there typically many people on waitlists on hold or who aren't eligible etc, but are included in that list?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

There could be a few on hold ahead of you, but it's rare for a department in Dublin to call just 1 position from mobility. Normally when you get to the teens you're only a couple of weeks away. There would normally be a batch of 5-10 called from my experience. For example, a HEO i worked with got a call when they were 15th on the list, and an EO got a call when they were 19th.

You shouldn't be too long waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ivantonebut

Hello, has anyone moved zone on mobility not within zone assigned to pending offices opened. Said ok initially led to believe only for a short time and would appear significant time delay ie 12-18 months to move to zone. I have lost remote working & now travelling to work 5 days huge time & financial cost.

Is there a way to return to mobility requests? Faqs don't cover issues unfortunately. Union are aware.

Post edited by Ivantonebut on

Advice welcome

@Ivantonebut

Just to make sure I have this right - you applied to a waitlist for one Zone, but when they made you the offer they said the office wasn't there yet but would be soon? That is definitely outside the policy (and 12-18 months is a long time!)

A situation like that wouldn't be covered in the FAQs because of rarity, but you should contact the mobility policy team (mobility@per.gov.ie) to see what can be done.

If you're an NSSO customer, it might be useful to talk to the Central Mobility Team (mobility@nsso.gov.ie, or call the NSSO helpdesk and ask for the mobility team) as well, but they may not be able to take action without a policy decision.

In terms of what can be done to fix this, I'm guessing you might be able to transfer back to your previous role. Availability of this will depend on whether a role's still available there, and other views of your old Dept. I know the FAQs and other documentation say that a mobility transfer can't be reversed, but honestly that's for one that's done correctly so I think you should still ask.

You may also be able to get a concession such as having lost applications restored, as well as having your eligibility amended (I'm assuming that when you moved you lost applications and became ineligible on the system for 2 years).

Hi @kirbi,

Yes It's not a pleasant situation. I took the position on the understanding offices should have and were not ready but would be in a few months. It is so close to home hence grabbing it. Through colleagues have discovered won't be moved for a significant time. Unfortunately being left in the dark and management are aware it is a mess for all.

I would imagine the NSSO mobility team would seek Depr advice and rare to have such issues. I have lost other positions closer to home & while a commute I would be in situ & not in this situation.

Thank you for your advice.

Post edited by Ivantonebut on

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sunny247

can anyone share approximately what number they were for their department when they were offered mobility? For larger departments I would assume that there could be a large number of people who are paused or maybe not eligible ahead and would mean you could be higher up the list when you’re offered.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I was number 13 when I was offered mobility to my current department.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lemon Davis lll

If you refuse an offer of mobility in respect of a particular Dept, can that offer be placed on hold and accepted at some point down the line or is it a case of 'use it or lose it'?

• Advertisement

The second - if you don't want to take it now, it should already be on hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

Offered a position when in the 30's recently (after nearly 4 years on the list). Turned it down as had moved location in meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

What department if you don't mind me asking thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭labrik

I am two years in a dept. today, and checked the mobility list and I am now fully elegible. However, my position number is still the same for all the depts in the zone . I am a CO. Does anyone know if there is a lag before your positions are re-adjusted? I had mobility transfer before and can't remember if the postion numbers change on the day you become eligible. I thought the position number stays the same (e.g. No. 22) while you're ineligible, then re-adjust as soon as eligible (after 2 years in dept).. All the positions I think have been the same since I applied for mobility about 2 years ago.

Post edited by labrik on

AFAIK, your number may not move. Mine didn't move for 3/4 years in some areas and was stuck in the high 30's. And I knew people in a certain office I'd down on the list and they had no new mobility hires for a long period.

Thanks Shmeee. I think I was trying to be optimistic as my position is quite stressful. But I can't believe there's been no movement since I applied. Perhaps figures are only adjusted once a week? I might have to look for other work.

I know how you feel. I know people who have since moved as couldn't wait for mobility and applied for the new open CO panels and were re-located within 2 years, less than half the time for mobility for the area. Are you on the 2023 CO panel?

I think I'll have to look at alternatives. No, not on the open CO panels. I'm alrealy a CO, so I don't think I could be on a new CO panel. I have tried for EO but not successful. I may look at other employment. I don't have kids, a partner, mortagage..... Might take up the career break if I want to stay with CS. Can't take anymore of being all day on a phone bank with abusive callers. I went down to a 4 day week due to stress.This is my day off. Can't believe govt. depts. treat staff like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

You can absolutely 100% apply for, be interviewed for, be panelled and be offered a job from an open CO competition. There is nothing stopping you. I did it as an EO 4, years after I entered the civil service. I applied and was placed in a new department in an open EO competition.You can do it at any grade and you should start on a higher salary too. It happens all the time. I once worked with someone who did it 3 times as an EO.

As for your current work situation, if members of the public are shouting at you on the phone, politely tell them you have you hang up now and do exactly that. You are not there to take that abuse and your manager should be telling you the same thing. If management are adding to the stressful situation, you need to speak to a union rep ASAP.

Post edited by rostalof on

Advertisement