Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Servcie mobility scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Itchyfeet89

I moved Departments recently for a change and to broaden my experience for interviews for promotions going forward. However, I now realise the work in the new Department doesn't suit me and there is very little training. If I had changed Departments on Promotion, I would be allowed to revert back to my previous Department by going back to my previous grade. However, as I moved on Mobility, it appears as if there is no way back to my previous Department. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lauras5839

There's no 'official' procedure for going back like there is for promotion where you can revert if it's not working out. I have seen a mobility move reversed with the person going back to their previous department but there was good will on both sides that allowed it to happen and it's really unusual. Talk to the union and talk to your previous department's HR and your LHR, if you have any pull with a PO in your previous department, that might help if they are short staffed and could press for your return. Only other way out will be an open/interdepartmental competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bobby2004

Got my formal offer for mobility just 6 weeks past my 2 years service. Great to be getting closer to home. I was well down the list so hope for anyone waiting on a location.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

Hi, a bit late to this thread and apologies in advance if you have answered this already but how did this all work out for you? Did you move to the new position on mobility in the end? MTIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

Hi, can I ask you where you saw the post advertised please? I've heard about a position in a different department that I'd like to apply to but I don't see it listed on PeoplePoint. I'm not sure but I think not all secondments are listed on PeoplePoint. Would you know if you should contact the HR in the receiving Department to find out their secondments? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kirbi

Secondments aren't part of Mobility, so they'll never be on the advert posting board.

The HR who sent it out should have the details, but I'd ask your own HR first, as they should have it too, but might not have circulated it for a reason - like if they won't approve anyone to take up the post. There's no point spending your time on Ann application if you wouldn't be able to take the post.

@Itchyfeet89 Also contact your representative from CSEAS - from both depts.

The one time I have seen a move like this reversed, it was brokered between the two dept HRs by the Employment Assistance Officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rasher_Sausage

As has been said by another poster, secondments and mobility are different.

My transfer was through mobility scheme, which was advertised on the portal. You can sign up to receive alerts for the advertised positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Does anyone know if it’s Peoplepoint who sends out the initial offer?

Would the department have a list of names of those on the lists ahead of an offer being made?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Joris Bohnson

Per HEO circular:

5. In the event that a vacancy arises that is to be filled through Mobility, the Receiving Local HR will have access to select the first applicant deemed eligible under the criteria at clause 14. An email alert (cc’d to both Sending and Receiving Local HR) will issue to an applicant to inform them that they are being considered for Mobility, however, a further assessment will be required – see clause 16. 

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

Has there been much movement this year? Wondering about HEOs outside of Dublin..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Joris Bohnson

There doesn’t appear to be much movement. I have been at No 3 for DSP in Zone 1 since HEO mobility was introduced. No offers and no movement to date. DSP may be taking internal transfers ahead of mobility transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Itchyfeet89

Hi, any advice?

I moved Departments on Mobility a couple of months ago to be closer to home but I really should have stayed where I was. The new Dept is grossly understaffed and it is not uncommon for staff to be working remotely until 10 or 11 at night to get the work done. I am exhausted in the evenings and drained at weekends. Seriously considering leaving and trying my luck when the next open competition comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Augme

1. Stop working until 10 or 11 at night and start clocking on when you've done your 7 hours. As is, the organisation isn't going to bother doing anything about understaffing as the work is being done.

2. Contact your previous HR and see if they would be willing to take you back. If yes, contact your current HR. But it's very unlikely, if the current t place is understaffed they aren't going to let someone go when they don't have to, and they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Why are you working those hours. Your contract is for 35 hours a week. Stop working past your time and let management deal with the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

As long as you didn't burn your bridges with your old Department before you left, I'd say you'll have a way back that can be worked out between the HR Units if that's what you want.

Regardless of the option you choose, it would be no harm talking to the HR or the senior manager in your area if you're unhappy. There's no point being a martyr or suffering in silence if you're unhappy. Things can be worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

There’s no problem for the managers of this person, they’re delighted that itchyfeet89 is getting through all that work so they won’t be motivated in any way to change these behaviours.

itchyfeet89 - It’s really simple to stop working these hours… just stop working them. You’re creating a bigger problem for yourself by doing so… why would your managers look to get more staff for their area when they’re not even aware there’s a problem as all the work is getting done?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭doc22

You're a permenant civil servant, unless you're an AP the understaffing isn't your problem. Whatever get's done within the 35hrs leave it at that(work from the office full time to stop the late night remote working nonsense).Perhaps get union involved too.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭sickofthis

Looking for advice, I'm close to the top of the mobility list for garda civilian. It's moving really slowly, however I'm hopeful. I see that there may be shiftwork involved which I would like. Does anyone know what kind of allowance is payable either garda civilian shift work? Also the typical shifts? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

I've seen a lot of shift work jobs advertised in the CS and the shift work is usually 25% extra. No idea on AGS shifts sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Exactly. You need to be firm and say no. What are they going to do, fire you (they can't for refusing to work extra hours), send you back to the dept where you came from (which you want anyway)? 11pm at night, what do they think they're doing, doing the Budget every night? Work your 7 hours a day and no more, it is not your problem, that's just exploiting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Runsallday

Hi, if someone went from AO to HEO on an internal promotion and stayed in the same location, do they have to complete two years to be eligible for mobility?

Same job, same desk, same location but now heo instead of Ao..

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

@Itchyfeet89 Is it NSSO payroll? That place has a terrible reputation for being understaffed and management burying their heads in the sand regarding any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭doc22

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just to give some kind of update on this while also keeping it ague. My partner got promoted to HEO back in September, she applied for mobility straight away and checked her initial positions a week or two later, she got an update yesterday for her Dublin positions and has moved;

• 20 plus positions in a couple (one was initially over 100 down to low 80’s…another was mid 70’s down to 50)

• gone 10 positions in another (sub 40 to sub 30)

• And gone 5 spots in another (low 30’s to high 20’s)

Fully expects to have an offer for at least one as soon as the 2 years are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭billyhead

That's due to a tidy up process People point do annually in January where applicants need to express continued interest in a mobility move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

NSSO staff do their hours. There is no working at 11pm. There was however a huge exodus in the last 6 months.

Even dedicated people get tired of customers constantly blaming them just because the customer doesn't understand their payslip and the responsibility they have in ensuring they inform the right entities in time for pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Make sure you're aware of the plan to take garda civilian staff out of the civil service, and what this means for your future options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 MoonDog47

RE: Mobility / Career Breaks.

Hi all,

Recently accepted an offer of Mobility. Does this now affect my ability to take a career break? The eligibility requirements seem to only refer to two years in the Civil Service, not specific to an organisation. Do I need to complete another two years before I am eligible again or is it once I've satisfied a probation period i.e. one year?

Thanks

Advertisement