Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Servcie mobility scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

If you already passed probation in another department at that grade, you don't do probation again.

Your best to check with people point on the career break. Raise a case on their portal

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭daffodill50

I have 3 weeks sick ( certified) on my record, does this delay my eligibility for mobility by 3 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Not sure if this is the right thread but I saw an AP ICT mobility offer to the Dept of Education yesterday. Anyone here work there? What is the work environment like there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Don't know about the environment, but they have teams in both Dublin and Tullamore. They have some fairly major applications, including a very large and complex payroll system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭apkmbarry

Hey, recently got EO, but took a position in dublin to just get in.

From reading that, I'll be able to apply for mobility and move up the list, but can't move until the 2 years are up? Obviously Dublin is accessible, but I am looking at moving back to where I'm from asap just for handiness. Just making sure I'm reading that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

That's correct. I think you can do internal transfers before the 2 years once you remain in the same department.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EmilyEmily

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

I wouldn't be surprised if it is. The NSSO has a reputation of being the sewer of the Civil Service

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yeah you will apply but will only get an offer when the two years pass. So you could sit at #1 on a list for a while until you have your time done.

I’d also be wary of the advice being able to apply for internal transfers before you have 2 years done. I know my department it can be 2-3 years and then that resets the clock on any other transfers.

i may have asked this before but can’t find the post but do people get to choose what office/section they go to when they are offered mobility?…Justice is a large department with a lot of organisations under their remit, and is your assignment just based on the Departments needs or could you request a specific organisation within that Department?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kirbi

For waitlist mobility you don't get to choose - the HR will generally have a specific vacancy they're aiming to fill.

If you receive a notice that you're placed in an offer process you can contact the HR to see if you can be assigned to your preferred option, but it's probably not very likely to happen.

Perfect, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭apkmbarry

Thanks for the responses everyone! Where I'm starting in two weeks doesn't have an office in my home county, so it'd be a completely different department but I don't mind. My county wasn't moving in terms of OOMs so I said I'd do it this way and reapply next panel too for just my home county. See what happens but the foot is in the door at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Hi Ive been offered Mobility to Social Welfare as an EO, just wondering is there anyway to check when the past internal HEO competitions were run to get an idea of when to expect the next competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sunny247

@NewCorkLad there was an email in January I think to say the old panel was being extended. Don’t think they’ve had the new HEO competition yet internally. Don’t remember seeing it at least. They’re doing an AP at the moment so I’d expect it to be shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

For those that were lucky enough to get promoted from CO to EO, how long did it take to receive your pay increment?£

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sunny247

Are there quiet times on the panels? I was moving up steadily in my choices but there’s been hardly any movement in the last few weeks. Just wondering if it’s normal for this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭doc22

Internal transfers officially only apply if you are staying within a mobility zone. Whether you can unofficially move countys is another matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

Completely new to the idea of mobility, coming up on 9 months in my current role (so it won't be available for a bit) but am I right in saying you can apply for mobility before you get to 2 years but can't take it until then?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Advertisement

Does anyone know when a department chooses to ‘freeze’ mobility moves for 6 months due to operational needs is this across the whole department or is it done on a case by case basis?

For example, if you’re assigned to a small section where it’s unlikely that anyone is going to look to move to so you can be replaced can they just freeze your move for 6 month periods while other staff at the same grade are free to transfer out or does the freeze apply to all staff of the grade in the department?

They can apply it by office as well as grade, such as a freeze on outbound COs working in the Justice Burgh Quay office (or similar).

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Hollandra

I was interested in availing of mobility. Does anyone know if your current department is advised once you apply or are they only informed once an offer has been made and accepted? I'd prefer they don't know as I'm on probation.

The HR will know, but it won't impact your probation in any way.

Managers are not informed until a formal offer has been made and accepted (unless you tell them,of course).

Thanks for that, do you know if there’s a maximum amount of time the can delay it?

How long they can apply the hold?

They shouldn't have it on longer than 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Joris Bohnson

I know an EO who recently got offered and transferred on mobility. When she went to tell her manager about the offer it turned out the manager knew 1 day before her - presumably to get management approval before going ahead with the offer. Shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Hollandra

Is that not breaching gdpr in some way?

Could you really trust your local HR not to tell your Department Manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MatildasMammy

Hi All,

I am in the middle of my second year and mobility is ticking away in the background. If when my two years is up and I reach 1 on any of my choices could I realistically be moving quickly? Assuming my manager doesn't put a hold on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭countyireland12345

Hi all. Non-civil servant here but hoping to change that. I am wondering how does movement between departments and within departments and accross roles typically occur. Is mobility the only way, or else applying for a competition/promition. Do senior management ever approach civil servants and with their agreement, move them to new roles within their department or to other departments? For example, in the DFA, aren't diplomats moved around every few years without a say? Is this the case in the other departments too? For me, I would like that rather than staying in the one role for too long, especially if you have outgrown it.

Post edited by countyireland12345 on

Advertisement