Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Servcie mobility scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Avdel

Does anyone know if the same rules apply for the advertised mobility? Do you have to be in your current location 2 years for advertised mobility?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Kirbi

Yes - it should say it on the bottom of the advert email.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 emetus1

Hi,

Does anyone know what public bodies / state agencies are open for mobility? I’m AP and wondering if I can apply for mobility. I’m not in a gov department, I’m in a public body agency. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Kirbi

It's only available in civil service bodies.

At the moment its only open to Civil Service however you ha e the iption if applying for AP in the Civil Service when its advertised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 frances5420

Does anyone get offers on mobility to AGS area

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

How fast does mobility move. I aookied for revenue and dsp and an in 20s for both. I wasn't expecting to be so low.

I was considering applying for a degree in sept, shoukd u waut to see if i get offer before then in case a different degree woukd suit the new role? (Co). Was actually surprised to be so low in the rankings assumed id be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭shmeee

Depends on the area, I'm on mobility for 2 counties and both are at a crawling pace. On the list nearly 4 years and still pretty high, way above the 20s anyway. I've given up checking and seems quicker to apply to open panels, or internal positions now.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

I was on mobility before for a smaller regional office as an EO and was called in the 20s. As per other above it all depends, but I'd think once you reach top 20s at least you could be called at any time. You have to factor in things such as people above you having applications paused, not being eligible yet, or even declining moves when offered

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MedPsych

Hey there, just wondered if anyone here knows the answer to a question for me. My mothers number came up for mobility. Its the perfect location and spot for her. However she's out on sick leave. Been out for about a year and likely to be out another few months at least. Waiting on a surgery but once recovered from that is likely to be fully able to return to work. Does this discount her from taking the mobility? Honestly she'd likely get back to work quicker for the offered job as its more local and less stress, but she's just not in a position to right now. She's been waiting 4.5 years for it. She got the pre offer and then local HR contacted her. She's explained to them she's on sick leave though really interested and is waiting on a response.

Is there any chance that she would be able to take it and they would fill the gap with a temp? (She's a CO if it makes any difference).

Or if not, will she lose her spot on the panel and have to start the wait all over again? It's really slow moving in her area so it could be years before another spot turns up. Any info would be much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 AtomicBolts

Managing the decisions of changing jobs can be stressful for anyone. Nevermind health issues! Hope your mother is coping OK.

The short answer is your mother will be considered unsuitable for mobility by her current department. Your mother will be allowed hold her current placing in the panel. However, she should check with her HR that this remains the case. If your mother were to cancel her offer in the wrong way she would be permanently off the panel. Given her circumstances this would likely be rectified. Best avoid that hassle if at all possible.

The longer answer is your mother may appeal the suitability assessment.

There may be some issues there.

Her sick leave would exceed the allowable limits. (This may be discounted. See 5.9 for discounting of sick leave https://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/per/2018/05.pdf )

Your mother will likely not have completed a performance review in the past working year that would have given her a satisfactory rating.

If deemed suitable your mother would then be at the discretion of the new department. The new department would likely not take a temp to fill a permanent position. They can easily just pull the next person from mobility or an open competition panel. So, while I don't see it happening, you don't win the lottery unless you buy the ticket. No harm in asking. The start date in new department may not be for a few months either. It may also have some flexibility. They may be OK with deferring her start date a short period. Or they might politely say no and place her back on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've seen civilian AP posts in Gardai advertised for mobility.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Planned removal of civil service status already having an effect then.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 frances5420

OK thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MedPsych

Thanks so much for that, that was really helpful and good for her to know! At least if handled right she won't loose her spot on the panel - that was the biggest fear!

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AtomicBolts

You're welcome.

Your mother shouldn't lose the placing. Her move through mobility might be delayed. Her current department may require her to have resumed work for a number of months before they mark her suitable for mobility. That would mean when she returns to work she wouldn't be eligible for any mobility offers until the set time for another suitability review has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 redguywhy

I’m a newly appointed AP but I’m not loving the role - it’s very different to what I’ve worked in to date. I’ve seen advertised mobility options on the HR system and there’s a couple that would suit me based on my skills. Is there any way of getting around the 2 year wait to apply for these or do I have to just wait it out and hope for the best in 2 years time? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah - apply for an open competition!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 EmmaMol

Idk if its just the depts I've picked but it seems to have slowed down horrendously.

I'm in the high single digits for 2 depts and in the low teens for a 3rd and they all seemed to not have moved at all since November/early December.

I'm checking daily and nearly in tears with frustration seeing the same number.

This is in dublin aswell so probably much worse in other parts of the country.

Im in a similar situation as you. Moved on mobility 15mths ago and its just not for me where I am. Would love to know if you get any info about moving before the 2 hrs is up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

What are the departments?

Revenue, agriculture and dept of housing.

I'm closestfor revenue and that's where I really want. I just don't understand why it's slowed so much

Have you seen the Advertised mobility that was adverised for Revenue recently? Might be worth a try that way.

No I haven't, I'll look into it now thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Where was this advertised...we never get notified of anything?

I looked yesterday and couldn't find anything, it's probably only available HEO and above.

Apologies I was looking at the HEO mobility.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭halfpastneverr

Probably a stupid/obvious question. I canceled an 'under consideration' offer for mobility in November within the 3 days. When I check my status for the 4 remaining departments I chose they are all still 'on waitlist' at various positions and the one I turned down is greyed out as canceled by the applicant. I'm just double-checking that I'm still eligible for those 4 other departments in that zone?

The location of the department I was offered in November didn't suit (they had 3 locations & sods law I was offered the sole location that didn't suit me!) but I'm burnt out in my current place (public facing, understaffed, terrible management with 0 support, no home working at all etc) and am desperate for a change. Will actually consider leaving the CS totally if I have no hope on the horizon!

You might need to cheeck that. As far as I know if its cancelled and greyed out it means you cancelled your mobility request for that department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭mur223

Apologies if this has already been asked, but does anyone know what happens if you get offered mobility while out on maternity leave? I applied for mobility some time ago and have been dying for a change. Will I be overlooked if I am out on maternity leave? Or would the same apply as the above sick leave situation...i.e. will I keep my place on the panel ? Any help much appreciated.

Advertisement