Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭bigroad

BoatMad wrote: »
    Why lanarote is safer then Ireland. At least they got out of a dangerous country ( Ireland ) for two weeks.

Good call I say.

The idea is that everybody stay put whatever.
    Is it that difficult .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

All we van do is stay in a 5km lockdown till 75-70% of adults are vaccinated sometime in mid 2022

Nothing else will work against the new variant

Tourists are a complete side show largely to distract a gullible public from that harsh reality.

You could burn Dublin airport to the ground fir all the difference it would make.

Some modest relaxation is possible before then, so long as they do not open pubs and the like. However, we will all be vaccinated by autumn of this year, not in 2022.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

At the moment opening schools is a dream.

Opening pubs a miracle.

Zero COVID is a long way further down that road, it may be a destination we don’t reach for a few years, but it should be the ambition that’s worked towards, not the ambition of yo-yo opening and closing.

Schools next month, hospitality April. You can’t stay on pup forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Cerveza wrote: »

Hospitality April....are you off your rocker, April 2022 be closer to it the way its going.

You can blame that crowd out in Lanzarote!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭HBC08

You don’t pay in Australia. The gov does

Not true,
    I have to go there later this year and it'll cost me 3k Aus Dollars for the privilege.
    I might chance my arm and tell them BoatMad said it was free and see how i get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,261 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Did I just hear Spanish students have flown into Ireland to stay with Irish hosts to learn Spanish????

During a pandemic??

I'm not sure there would be too many Spanish kids heading to Mullingar to brush up on their Spanish

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

bigroad wrote: »
    The idea is that everybody stay put whatever.
    Is it that difficult .

What’s your logic

Lanza is safer then Ireland ( way safer ) they are very wise people

And rising deaths and icu overwhelmed or didn’t you see the trailer at Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭saabsaab

But we “ won’t “ tackle it. We focus on a tiny issue instead.

Prof. of Immunology Dr Tomas Ryan TCD states

'right now, the risk-to-gain ratio for foreign travel is dangerously high'

I'd take his word on this not yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

And rising deaths and icu overwhelmed or didn’t you see the trailer at Christmas

I saw it, it wasn’t me who went house parting and visiting everyone to have a meaningful Christmas unlike others.

• Advertisement

I saw it, it wasn’t me who went house parting and visiting everyone to have a meaningful Christmas unlike others.

That’s only a small issue.
    The issue is the speed of transmission

What it means is that we will remain in a 5km lockdown till 70% of the pop are vaccinated. With Astra delayed that looks like mid 2022

Nothing else will work

The U.K. knows it. That’s why all they are focused on is vaccinations

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I know if we had quarantine in place for christmas, we would be a suoer low levels now in our town at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Just watched PRIMETIME and have to say that f you’re the type of selfish cnut who goes to Lanzarote in the middle of a level 5 national lockdown, I’m not convinced you can be trusted to voluntarily quarantine for a fortnight afterward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    Just watched PROPAGANDA and have to say that f you’re the type of selfish cnut who goes to Lanzarote in the middle of a level 5 national lockdown, I’m not convinced you can be trusted to voluntarily quarantine for a fortnight afterward.

You should really get differing viewpoints before making such crass and uninformed opinions about people. These people travelled out of the words most infected country (Ireland) to Lanzarote, if anything it is the local Spanish in Lanzarote who should be annoyed, returning from Lanzarote a low risk region to Ireland tested I might add makes these people less of a risk than a person you meet in a supermarket in Ireland.

The fact is the Govt wants to blame people (Brazilians and Irish tourists) for their own mistakes, there should not have been a lockdown in October and there should have been a full lockdown for Dec 1st forward with an inward travel ban as it was obvious that Irish expats abroad would return home and behave like their sh1t don't stink and rules don't apply to them. This quarantine ban is simply deflection from an incompetent Government who had plenty time and fore warning to prepare and instead did nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ssflyer

saabsaab wrote: »
    Prof. of Immunology Dr Tomas Ryan TCD states

'right now, the risk-to-gain ratio for foreign travel is dangerously high'

I'd take his word on this not yours.

He’s not a professor of immunology I’m afraid that’s the big lie people are missing. He is a professor of neuroscience which has nothing to do with covid.the only thing in common is the word science. All his papers are to do with memory and the mapping of it he’s called the memory man for a reason. I’ve no issue with proper scientific advice which coming from him it’s not but he seems to thrive on this for some reason. It’s all there in his bio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

You don’t pay in Australia. The gov does

That ended in July. It now costs $3,000 or more. https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarathiessen/2020/07/13/australia-nsw-hotel-quarantine-travelers-pay-3000/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If we had clear and effective communication it would be a lot easier for people to understand what was allowed and what wasn't, we have a communications via drip,leak and a dozen other means.
    I don't think anyone really has a clear idea of what is or isn't allowed at present.
    Do need a test or not? How many days does it need to be clear for ?
    Its just a farce.
    Countries that have dealt with it successfully have implemented clear communication strategies and are able to live a pretty normal lifestyle bar international travel.

Example of a clear message from Jacinda Ardern:

“Given the risks in the world around us and uncertainty about the global rollout of the vaccine, we can expect our borders to be impacted for much of this year.”

For borders to open, Ardern explained one of two things needed to happen. “We either need the confidence that being vaccinated means you don't pass Covid-19 on to others – and we don't know that yet – or we need enough of our population to be vaccinated and protected that people can safely re-enter New Zealand.”

Ardern added that both possibilities would take some time, saying: “Our team of 5 million worked too hard last year for us to risk any of the gains we've made.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The government here are moving in the right direction but it’s not enough.

Quarantine at home isn’t enough.
    There is no way of policing it effectively and it still allows people returning in to travel wherever they need.

There is no way of policing it effectively and it still allows people returning in to travel wherever they need.

NZ tried the Honour system of self isolation, didn't work.
    That's why they had to move to the MIQ Managed Isolation and Quarantine system.
    Now they can do this:
    1611620600812.jpg?format=pjpg&optimize=medium

CJhaughey wrote: »
    NZ tried the Honour system of self isolation, didn't work.
    That's why they had to move to the MIQ Managed Isolation and Quarantine system.

How hard is it to actually copy the countries that have nailed this?

We are long enough into this to know what works and what doesn’t.

• Advertisement

Apparently too hard for the shower we have installed as a government at present.
    They apparently have never seen a yo-yo in operation and in true Irish style are determined to repeat the mistakes of other countries while proclaiming that we are different.
    No accountability for mistakes either with scarce vaccines being binned because some ignorant thick didn't store them correctly.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40214786.html

I think the gov have probably got it right tbf. I was never a lockdown merchant but I do see it’s merits all be for a limited period. I do think banning flights from high risk countries was right and should have being there from the start no excuses there really. However this business of sealing our border is idiotic. It should have being done last April not now the lines in sight. As Leo said, no fan, how do you in pick the lock once done?
    Everyone will point to nz and oz mainly but I think it’s a false idea. Of the nz example, the only thing we’ve in common is we speak English, culturally wise not so much we’ve more of a drinking culture good or bad than they do, they follow the rules to the letter of the law, we re not great for it tbf. Sheebeens etc are all examples. ( family, friends and have being to nz a couple of times)
    I think social media, the media in general have to take a lot of blame for our current state mind about things. ISAG we keep hearing from are fanatics about their ideas and people should be taking everything with a pinch of salt. It’s all theory based on assumptions which they can’t control and some are scientists tbf, not in the field there talking about by the way, who come up with an idea they d like to prove and most spend there life doing so and failing.
    One thing that disappoints me though is the complete lack of empathy shown towards people who work at the airports where there’s about 120000 plus people who depend on it for there lively hoods not a word in fact and listen to the commentary it’s a big f them sort of job.
    Things will get better towards March, numbers are already falling, the vaccine will take care of the rest and by Oct things will be back to normal we just need to stay the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

ssflyer wrote: »
    I think the gov have probably got it right tbf. I was never a lockdown merchant but I do see it’s merits all be for a limited period. I do think banning flights from high risk countries was right and should have being there from the start no excuses there really. However this business of sealing our border is idiotic. It should have being done last April not now the lines in sight. As Leo said, no fan, how do you in pick the lock once done?
    Everyone will point to nz and oz mainly but I think it’s a false idea. Of the nz example, the only thing we’ve in common is we speak English, culturally wise not so much we’ve more of a drinking culture good or bad than they do, they follow the rules to the letter of the law, we re not great for it tbf. Sheebeens etc are all examples. ( family, friends and have being to nz a couple of times)
    I think social media, the media in general have to take a lot of blame for our current state mind about things. ISAG we keep hearing from are fanatics about their ideas and people should be taking everything with a pinch of salt. It’s all theory based on assumptions which they can’t control and some are scientists tbf, not in the field there talking about by the way, who come up with an idea they d like to prove and most spend there life doing so and failing.
    One thing that disappoints me though is the complete lack of empathy shown towards people who work at the airports where there’s about 120000 plus people who depend on it for there lively hoods not a word in fact and listen to the commentary it’s a big f them sort of job.
    Things will get better towards March, numbers are already falling, the vaccine will take care of the rest and by Oct things will be back to normal we just need to stay the course.

There's a new dimension to sealing the borders

The threat of unknown variants

Malcomex wrote: »
    There's a new dimension to sealing the borders

The threat of unknown variants

That’s true but it can be mitigated by border controls it’s being done for years with other diseases, not here mind you. However the gov do have to put in a proper system to prevent this it will have to be at a European level. I think Europe and the USA will get ahead of this by Oct they’ve not being great so far but that ll change, eventually we can start forming international bubbles with countries similar to us on the understanding if a new variation is detected each party is to be informed bans back in till confirmation of vac immunity not compromised if they don’t want to sign up up to them no bubble. This will be far easier than the zero strategy currently being pushed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

That’s true but it can be mitigated by border controls it’s being done for years with other diseases, not here mind you. However the gov do have to put in a proper system to prevent this it will have to be at a European level. I think Europe and the USA will get ahead of this by Oct they’ve not being great so far but that ll change, eventually we can start forming international bubbles with countries similar to us on the understanding if a new variation is detected each party is to be informed bans back in till confirmation of vac immunity not compromised if they don’t want to sign up up to them no bubble. This will be far easier than the zero strategy currently being pushed.

Agree yes, early stages containing future variants

• Registered Users Posts: 25,842 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The New Zealand model certainly doesn't allow people to travel whenever they need: only their citizens or permanent residents can travel, and it can take months to get a MQF booking.

For example, say, your relative lives there, gets terminally ill and cannot travel - there is no way for you to travel to them if you're not a citizen/PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Apparently we issued around 16000 permits last year, in a global pandemic while we have rampant unemployment.

Just remember that, when it comes to the draconian measures we're under, that access to the Island, the first thing that shoulld have been restricted, was kept wide open through the worst of this

Aussies drink more than the Irish.

The New Zealand model certainly doesn't allow people to travel whenever they need: only their citizens or permanent residents can travel, and it can take months to get a MQF booking.

For example, say, your relative lives there, gets terminally ill and cannot travel - there is no way for you to travel to them if you're not a citizen/PR.

A small price to pay for the good of the entire society.

If the choice comes down to it then I would have the children of this country getting educated over somebody seeing a terminally sick relative.

But the terminally sick person is a rarity and an exception that can be explored for special treatment. We are talking about stopping the 40% of Irish people who have said they will take a foreign holiday this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

AIf the choice comes down to it then I would have the children of this country getting educated over somebody seeing a terminally sick relative..

Christ, the level of empathy in this thread reaches new depths every day! :rolleyes:

Lets just hope you're not put into that situation eh?

Advertisement