Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

Carolam wrote: »
    So , I have just found out that my Eastern European neighbour is having friends and family fly over this Friday to celebrate a family birthday in their house this weekend. Like what the hell? Is there any control on tourists flying in at the weekend and staying in someone's house. The Garda have confirmed that there is no real obligation on anyone to self isolate but they shouldn't have a party. Any advice would be appreciated. The house is rented by the way, and mine is owner occupied

As someone else has said, they are not dong anything wrong. They are part of that household for the duration of their stay, and it is not a legal requirement to quarantine or self isolate.

If they went to a 2nd friends house the next night, then they would be in breach. Or if people from other households join this party. But the new arrivals have effectively formed a household.

Dont think that there is anything that the gardai can do in this instance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Carolam wrote: »
    So , I have just found out that my Eastern European neighbour is having friends and family fly over this Friday to celebrate a family birthday in their house this weekend. Like what the hell? Is there any control on tourists flying in at the weekend and staying in someone's house. The Garda have confirmed that there is no real obligation on anyone to self isolate but they shouldn't have a party. Any advice would be appreciated. The house is rented by the way, and mine is owner occupied

Why not call over to the house in question, inform them that you know there's Covid rule breaking going on regarding household mixing etc., and advise them that you will raise this issue with the residents association, house owner and Gardai also?

You'll get nowhere by not tackling the issue directly.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Why not call over to the house in question, inform them that you know there's Covid rule breaking going on regarding household mixing etc., and advise them that you will raise this issue with the residents association and Gardai?

based on what we've been told, there is no rule breaking going on (assuming they are all staying in the one house)

based on what we've been told, there is no rule breaking going on (assuming they are all staying in the one house)

The "No household mixing" rule?

The "No household mixing" rule?

They are coming from overseas and forming a household during their time in Ireland as far as I can see. No different to a couple of students coming home from university overseas to live with their parents

• Advertisement

They are coming from overseas and forming a household during their time in Ireland as far as I can see. No different to a couple of students coming home from university overseas to live with their parents

Guess the OP has nothing to be concerned about so...

Guess the OP has nothing to be concerned about so...

Not really. If it were me, I'd just mind my own business and let it go...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Carolam

Thanks for the advice, I'll lie low so and hope that the party won't be too loud ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Why not call over to the house in question, inform them that you know there's Covid rule breaking going on regarding household mixing etc., and advise them that you will raise this issue with the residents association, house owner and Gardai also?

Put on hi viz also and be a proper corona cop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Jaw dropping negligence

We are witnessing one of the worst Irish governments of all time

UK and Brazil passengers allowed in to Ireland without Covid test results

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-and-brazil-passengers-allowed-in-to-ireland-without-covid-test-results-jvcszjv9n
    About 80 people have been allowed to enter the country after arriving on flights from South Africa and Britain without test results to show they were free of Covid-19.

This is in contravention of emergency regulations introduced by the government on January 9, to prevent the spread of new variants of the virus.

New mutations of Covid-19 which originated in Britain and South Africa have spread rapidly across Europe as they are more infectious than the original strain. The variant first found in the UK accounts for about half of all Irish cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Jaw dropping negligence

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-and-brazil-passengers-allowed-in-to-ireland-without-covid-test-results-jvcszjv9n

They're so nonchalant about it all. Every single person that enters the state should be treated like they possibly have covid and treated accordingly.

The laxidsasiccal carelessness of their approach is grossly negligent. They will have more blood on their hands because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Wtf point is there in having a lockdown with this crap going on. Might as well open the bars and tell people to lick each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Jaw dropping negligence

And if anyone complains, they're "racist". This, and the unfettered greed for cheap labour is why us numpties must shut our beaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Danno wrote: »
    And if anyone complains, they're "racist". This, and the unfettered greed for cheap labour is why us numpties must shut our beaks.

The Last Word just said 15,000 Brazilians have entered Ireland in the past 2 weeks on a piece they did on restrictions at the airport.
    Did I hear that number right? It cant be right

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

jay0109 wrote: »
    The Last Word just said 15,000 Brazilians have entered Ireland in the past 2 weeks on a piece they did on restrictions at the airport.
    Did I hear that number right? It cant be right
    1,500 I think it was, but it's still absolutely mental either way that they were able to come in with no checks or controls whatsoever.

What is the point in having lockdowns and restricting movements to 5km locally if you're just going to let everyone travel in from abroad willy-nilly? It's like trying to empty a bathtub with a bucket while leaving the tap still running.

darem93 wrote: »
    1,500 I think it was, but it's still absolutely mental either way that they were able to come in with no checks or controls whatsoever.

What is the point in having lockdowns and restricting movements to 5km locally if you're just going to let everyone travel in from abroad willy-nilly? It's like trying to empty a bathtub with a bucket while leaving the tap still running.

1,500 sounds more plausible. It was the piece with Pete Lund but it's not up online yet.

But yes, its mental they can just stroll in with no restrictions re covid.
    Also explains in part why rents aren't falling with that level of immigration

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

darem93 wrote: »

It sounds like people coming back here after Christmas. They are extremely likely to be living here, either permanently or on a visa.

1,500 sounds more plausible. It was the piece with Pete Lund but it's not up online yet.

Terrible eh? These Brazilians with no history here in Ireland just arriving into our Country! :rolleyes:

Oisin Smith TD calling out Roisin Shortall on Tonight Show TV3 playing a dangerous game by suggesting extra checks on incoming passengers from Brazil.

This is what we pay them a six-figure sum per annum for.

We're fcuked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Oisin Smith TD calling out Roisin Shortall on Tonight Show TV3 playing a dangerous game by suggesting extra checks on incoming passengers from Brazil.

We're fcuked.

I heard him.

He knew well what he was doing, inssuinating it was racist to target Brazilian people travelling here etc, anything to deflect from the goverments ineptitude and undermine roisins very reasonable and salient points at the same time.

****ing wheezle.

• Advertisement

We're fcuked.
    She had to pull him up up 4 or 5 times on his insinuations that she was playing a race card.

Anyways there'll be no mandatory 14day isolation at the airports while the Greens are in power. That was clear from Smyth tonight, open borders are too important to them.

She had to pull him up up 4 or 5 times on his insinuations that she was playing a race card.

Anyways there'll be no mandatory 14day isolation at the airports while the Greens are in power. That was clear from Smyth tonight, open borders are too important to them.

There’ll be no mandatory isolation anywhere in Europe. Constantly going on about it is not going to make it happen.

PCR tests and tracking of arrivals (limited to residents only), ideally through GPS and active follow up, are the tools we have (though we obviously don’t do either very well). Poland for example calls arrivals at a random time every day and unless they send a picture of where they are within 20 minutes the police rock up pretty sharpish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭beachhead

There are no airport or ferry controls or follow ups of any kind here.I know of a cult in this country which has a boarding school with 39 individuals who arrived here 5 days ago.17 have covid.They do not give a s.... about isolating-putting local staff on the premises at risk.So far they are not out in public areas.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40209449.html

€10m for UL and a handy way round the restrictions.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40209449.html

€10m for UL and a handy way round the restrictions.

Sorry, not avoiding any restrictions, they've been isolating for 14 days before travel, have to have negative PCR to travel, and will isolate for 14 days on arrival here, and most likely to be very closely monitored to ensure that they do as required, so not an issue as such. No other passengers on the charter flight, so in theory, about as risk free as it's possible to be in these times

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

And you believe that?
    When contacted, a UL spokesman said

If he's 100% confident that every condition will be met, let him put his name to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The UK variant = 40% more infectious than the original?

The Brazilian variant = even more infectious than the UK one

1500 Brazilians arrived back to Ireland in the last 2 weeks with no quarantine or proper checks

I don't think we've seen the affects of these returning Brazilians yet. If any of them have the new variant and spread it in the community then we are utterly, utterly fcucked

We are witnessing willful ignorance by our "government" that can now be only called manslaughter

From Newstalk earlier

Is Dr Gabriel Scally known to be a solid source? I haven't heard of him till now
    The lack of mandatory quarantine for people arriving in Ireland is a 'hole in the roof' of Ireland's coronavirus strategy, Dr Gabriel Scally says. He said the country is busy 'mopping up after a disastrous set of relaxations' before Christmas, but the virus can still arrive into the country through ports and airports.

Currently, anyone arriving here must have evidence of a negative COVID-19 PCR test 72 hours before arrival. People are then advised to restrict their movements, while those arriving from Britain, South Africa or South America are advised to self isolate for a full 14 days.

However, many experts have called for the likes of hotels to be used for mandatory quarantine instead - as has been done in the likes of New Zealand - instead of the current approach.

Public health expert Dr Scally told Moncrieff the current travel rules in the Republic and Northern Ireland are simply too lax. He said: “We know the virus came from Britain and Ireland from abroad, and we know it has continued to come.

“We know that there isn’t really any barrier to that spread. “Particularly now when we know there are dangerous variants cropping up across the world, having open borders to the virus is really, really bad news." He said the new variants - such as one originally detected in Brazil - seem to be more transmissible, and in a worst-case scenario may even be able to 'dodge the vaccines'.

He suggested the only way to deal with the virus is to 'keep it at arm's length', and that means strict controls at ports and airports.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The UK variant = 40% more infectious than the original?

The Brazilian variant = even more infectious than the UK one

1500 Brazilians arrived back to Ireland in the last 2 weeks with no quarantine or proper checks

I don't think we've seen the affects of these returning Brazilians yet. If any of them have the new variant and spread it in the community then we are utterly, utterly fcucked

We are witnessing willful ignorance by our "government" that can now be only called manslaughter

From Newstalk earlier

Is Dr Gabriel Scally known to be a solid source? I haven't heard of him till now

Scally is a doomer and gloomier

This whole mandatory quarantine facility isn’t going to happen nor should it.

We don’t even put confirmed cases in quarantine

The government should be just enforcing the basics. Mandatory testing in advance and mandatory isolation at home

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭saabsaab

faceman wrote: »
    Scally is a doomer and gloomier

This whole mandatory quarantine facility isn’t going to happen nor should it.

We don’t even put confirmed cases in quarantine

The government should be just enforcing the basics. Mandatory testing in advance and mandatory isolation at home

That would be impossible to police just too many locations. Much easier to have a few hotels for the purpose or better stop all non essential foreign travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,892 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Brazilian strain variant is worse than the UK or Chinese variant, spreads faster more lethal apparently, we on lockdown but not coming from another country with high cases and deaths

Advertisement