Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

saabsaab wrote: »
    As I said before pointless trying to lock down the country to eliminate the virus but importing new cases. Like trying to empty the bath but leaving the taps still running

Also pointless closing the stable door after all the horses have bolted?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Totally agree. As i say would you prefer to die with Covid or of Covid?

Neither, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Also pointless closing the stable door after all the horses have bolted?
    No point in sailing through pack ice at full speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/more-than-54-000-people-flew-into-state-over-festive-period-1.4453610
    More than 54,000 people flew into State over festive period
    Almost 1,500 arrived on UK repatriation flights after Covid ban on travel from Britain

The weakest airports in the EU? We must be up there somewhere

Lack of proper quarantine. Lack of follow up calls (12% only last year)

The airports will go down as one of the top 2 or top 3 mistakes this "government" made since March

• Advertisement

Reddit Ireland
    What's the point in having a complete domestic lockdown if you leave borders wide open ?

It's akin to having a leak on a small boat.

Then rather than sealing the hole, you spend all you spend time using a bucket to throw the water out.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spanishpoint

nofools wrote: »
    I think it is important to keep an open mind about it.

Don't get prematurely into the anti vax conspiracies with all these fears of the new world order but don't blindly trust those with commercial or political interests in rushing things either.

Exactly, it will work but they need some time to develop it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/more-than-54-000-people-flew-into-state-over-festive-period-1.4453610

[/SIZE][/B]

The weakest airports in the EU? We must be up there somewhere

Lack of proper quarantine. Lack of follow up calls (12% only last year)

The airports will go down as one of the top 2 or top 3 mistakes this "government" made since March

Totally agree. Painfully obvious mistake that has cost many lives and livelihoods.

I know it's not the time for protests but this is really something really worth protesting about. As evident by the poll on here and basically everybody in ireland literally everybody wants proper control at airport's. Even the trolls on here have been clamouring for it!

This is a critical life and death issue now. We deserve to be protected.

I know it's not the time for protests but this is really something really worth protesting about. As evident by the poll on here and basically everybody in ireland literally everybody wants proper control at airport's. Even the trolls on here have been clamouring for it!

This is a critical life and death issue now. We deserve to be protected.

What most people realise is that in actual reality, it's not possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

What's the latest on whether a negative PCR test is needed to enter the country?

On Tuesday 5th, there were media reports (RTE, Irish Times, The Journal) that cabinet are expected to announce that all travellers into State will have to provide negative PCR test.

When the announcement came shortly afterwards, it was that only travelers from Britain and South Africa will need to provide a negative PCR test: https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0106/1188097-coronavirus-travel/

The Journal seem to have made a mess of their report, where in one sentence they say all countries (based on the early expectation), and later they say Britain and South Africa.

Can anyone clear that up? What requirement is in place now for countries other than Britain and SA?

It's obvious that the recent surge in Belmullet and Achill is caused by airtravel home at Christmas. Further proof, if needed is the fact that 20% of new cases are the new UK variant and even 3 cases so far from S Africa!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Ireland is one of the most high risk countries in the world at this stage, stopping air travel won't do much now.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Ireland is one of the most high risk countries in the world at this stage, stopping air travel won't do much now.

I disagree. Would stop importing new variants and we shouldn't be exporting it either.

The scary bit is that several new variants will emerge before this is all over. Hope fully any of these won't be more deadly or immune to the vaccine. That's why we need to get the vaccine out to as many as possible to stop the spread and give chance to evolve new strains. Bit like a firebreak in a forest fire.

I disagree. Would stop importing new variants and we shouldn't be exporting it either.

The scary bit is that several new variants will emerge before this is all over. Hope fully any of these won't be more deadly or immune to the vaccine. That's why we need to get the vaccine out to as many as possible to stop the spread and give chance to evolve new strains. Bit like a firebreak in a forest fire.

Remarkably, it still isn’t known that the vaccine stops the spread. We only know it stops 90% of people getting sick

Remarkably, it still isn’t known that the vaccine stops the spread. We only know it stops 90% of people getting sick

If it works like other vaccines it probably will stop the spread. Anyway if people aren't getting sick they probably won't spread it as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

40-50% of new cases are the UK variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Holy crap! Ireland had world’s highest Covid-19 infection rate last week

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-had-world-s-highest-covid-19-infection-rate-last-week-1.4455609

What happened?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    40-50% of new cases are the UK variant.

Even worse than I thought.

• Advertisement

A year later.. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The poll should be changed to 'ban Irish people from leaving to infect others' yes or no?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    The poll should be changed to 'ban Irish people from leaving to infect others' yes or no?

That’s a no from me

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Carolam

So , I have just found out that my Eastern European neighbour is having friends and family fly over this Friday to celebrate a family birthday in their house this weekend. Like what the hell? Is there any control on tourists flying in at the weekend and staying in someone's house. The Garda have confirmed that there is no real obligation on anyone to self isolate but they shouldn't have a party. Any advice would be appreciated. The house is rented by the way, and mine is owner occupied

Carolam wrote: »
    So , I have just found out that my Eastern European neighbour is having friends and family fly over this Friday to celebrate a family birthday in their house this weekend. Like what the hell? Is there any control on tourists flying in at the weekend and staying in someone's house. The Garda have confirmed that there is no real obligation on anyone to self isolate but they shouldn't have a party. Any advice would be appreciated. The house is rented by the way, and mine is owner occupied

Let the Guards know if there is a party. Where is this?

Yeah that's all I can do. It's in Dublin, Northside

Yeah that's all I can do. It's in Dublin, Northside

100 percent inform guards. Give names and where they are flying from.

So we can't visit our parents house, yet there is no problem with multiple households flying in from a different country and mixing it up whatever way they want. Why do people not get the seriousness of all of this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Honestly, just ignore it.

They are entitled to enter the country, there is no legal requirement to quarantine.

If the visitors enter the country and all reside in your neighbours house and spend a night enjoying themselves there is no issue. The party would only be illegal if people from other residences come to the house. As they are likely to be residing in the house for their time in Ireland there is nothing illegal happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

It'd be a lot worse if they were coming from Ireland

Advertisement