Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

completely disagree. The park shouldn't be for city parking. It should be for park users only. Hopefully a charge is implemented after a certain length of stay, at a level to strongly dissuade commuters from parking there.

The objective is to remove parking off the ave.

Charging for it won't help with that aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mcgragger

maxsmum wrote: »
    But you can't possibly be in favour of parked cars lining the main road in the park all day just so commuters can get into town? If it eases congestion in town that's not the answer... a different conversation needs to happen then around traffic management.

If its not there I am going to drive into town and park in the office. My car is on the road and I would prefer to keep it out of the city so the park is ideal.
    Chesterfield avenue is a prime route into the city. I know its unfortunate but thats the way of it. I have to drive.
    There is no public transport where I live to get me to the city and if I was to drive to a Dublin 15 suburb I would be facing a 2 hour each way public transport journey.

Maybe we need carparks in the suburbs and cycle lanes from them into the city.

mcgragger wrote: »
    If its not there I am going to drive into town and park in the office. My car is on the road and I would prefer to keep it out of the city so the park is ideal.
    Chesterfield avenue is a prime route into the city. I know its unfortunate but thats the way of it. I have to drive.
    There is no public transport where I live to get me to the city and if I was to drive to a Dublin 15 suburb I would be facing a 2 hour each way public transport journey.

Its not an ideal situation, and more parking is perhaps needed somewhere to facilitate parking & cycling, or parking & bussing. But the Phoenix Park should not be the answer to that

beauf wrote: »
    The objective is to remove parking off the ave.

Charging for it won't help with that aim.

I'm not convinced that we want to move parking off the ave. There is and always will be heavy traffic down the ave, so why not have the parking too. Keep as many of the cars in one place as possible. Then the remainder of the park becomes more car free. If parking was moved to other areas in the park (in addition to the various car parks that already exist), then it would just spread the traffic around more.

Paying for parking would at least make sure that commuters dont use it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

There is also no hard shoulder now on chesterfield Avenue if you happen to have car trouble. That will create some traffic Jam when it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There is also no hard shoulder now on chesterfield Avenue if you happen to have car trouble. That will create some traffic Jam when it happens.

As if people won't simply kick the cones aside and park there when that happens. You already encounter OPW vans parked along the cycle lane/hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,835 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Stark wrote: »
    As if people won't simply kick the cones aside and park there when that happens. You already encounter OPW vans parked along the cycle lane/hard shoulder.

I'll be doing that to park anyway, try and start a bit of critical mass. As I've said before, they didn't change the bye-laws to install that cycle lane, its just a bit of paint and its unenforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mcgragger

Its not an ideal situation, and more parking is perhaps needed somewhere to facilitate parking & cycling, or parking & bussing. But the Phoenix Park should not be the answer to that

I agree overall but it is the answer for the last how ever many years. Alot of people rely on it for the same reason as me. I park by the Castleknock gate and its fairly empty at 7am when I get there. But down closer to the Zoo and its filling up.

The parking and Public transport is deplorable in Dublin. Had you seen or attempted to get on to a Luas at peak time pre Covid? Unreal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think it makes sense to remove the daily commuter parking, Phoenix park should not be a park and ride for the city centre. On the flip side however, the park is a destination itself where people need to park. The closure of the parking on Chesterfield Av now means I have to drive all the way to the Papal cross instead of just entering the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'll be doing that to park anyway, try and start a bit of critical mass. As I've said before, they didn't change the bye-laws to install that cycle lane, its just a bit of paint and its unenforceable.

Wait until a cyclist crashes into the back of a parked car.

• Advertisement

You’re some hero

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You mean like people currently do everywhere else in the city?

mcgragger wrote: »

In theory we do have car parks at the train stations in the suburbs. Cycles lanes not so much.

I would doubt your 2hr journey time unless you pick the worst time and go the worst way. Though I do know people who do that.

liamog wrote: »
    I think it makes sense to remove the daily commuter parking, Phoenix park should not be a park and ride for the city centre. On the flip side however, the park is a destination itself where people need to park. The closure of the parking on Chesterfield Av now means I have to drive all the way to the Papal cross instead of just entering the park.

Makes sense to remove the commuter parking. I think its way over stated though. I don't think a difficult issue to remove that.

Destination parking for people using the park is really the issue. They also park on the Ave and also the people causing conflict with cyclists on the cycle path. Though again I think its over stated. Anyway there is no easy solution to that. Someone has to be discommoded to change that.

Stark wrote: »
    You mean like people currently do everywhere else in the city?

Well they'd be fools to park on properly instituted cycle lanes, where they can be towed or clamped, but as I've said there's no legal underpinnings to the Phoenix Park lanes, they're just white paint.

VonLuck wrote: »
    Wait until a cyclist crashes into the back of a parked car.

Unless blind people are out on bikes, the sightline of that whole Avenue is at least 100 metres. When we return to the previous cyclelane in the green median, that will reduce in liklihood.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

You're actually parking on a cycle lane? On purpose? Jesus.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Makes sense to remove the commuter parking. I think its way over stated though. I don't think a difficult issue to remove that.

Destination parking for people using the park is really the issue. They also park on the Ave and also the people causing conflict with cyclists on the cycle path. Though again I think its over stated. Anyway there is no easy solution to that. Someone has to be discommoded to change that.

Pretty straightforward really, car parks near each vehicular access gate. Normally I'd go through the Knockmaroon or Castleknock gate, a surface car park near either of those would cover any park user from D15.

You're actually parking on a cycle lane? On purpose? Jesus.

Not going out of my way to, but if the nonsense seen with the lack of parking the previous weekend is repeated and theres nowhere for those of us coming from further to field to park up, I will.

But again, its not a properly constituted cycle lane, its just some white paint. They'll need to open up a public consultation on changes to the Parks Byelaws if they want to make them permanent - and in fact will have to remove them in the interim, which I fully expect them to do either after June 29th or July 20th (at a push)

Pretty straightforward really, car parks near each vehicular access gate. Normally I'd go through the Knockmaroon or Castleknock gate, a surface car park near either of those would cover any park user from D15.

There is a car park at the knockmaroon gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Not going out of my way to, but if the nonsense seen with the lack of parking the previous weekend is repeated and theres nowhere for those of us coming from further to field to park up, I will.

But again, its not a properly constituted cycle lane, its just some white paint. They'll need to open up a public consultation on changes to the Parks Byelaws if they want to make them permanent - and in fact will have to remove them in the interim, which I fully expect them to do either after June 29th or July 20th (at a push)

That's really sound of you. So now the families with kids on bikes who've been moved to the new cycle lane have to stop to get around your car because, y'know, byelaws. But glad you've found your parking spot.

People lost the plot completely when I suggested moving the parking earlier.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    There is a car park at the knockmaroon gate.

Thats a 1.5k distance to the avenue.

Some of it is basically concrete blocks on mud. Its falling apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

That's really sound of you. So now the families with kids on bikes who've been moved to the new cycle lane have to stop to get around your car because, y'know, byelaws. But glad you've found your parking spot.

Amazing who self centred and selfish cars make people. Plonking a one odd tonne vehicle that's 20% full to invonvenience those who use more sustainable means to get to work.

People lost the plot completely when I suggested moving the parking earlier.

Some of it is basically concrete blocks on mud. Its falling apart.

What difference how far to the avenue?
    If people want to go to the park , why do they need to be near the Avenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Amazing how self centred and selfish cars make people. Plonking a one odd tonne vehicle that's 20% full to invonvenience those who use more sustainable means to get to work.

Actually it is people like you who are totally selfish.
    Car drivers would never insist that you get a car and stay off of your bike (though I'm tempted). But you think you have the right to tell us what to do.
    Take a hike, or a cycle, whichever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Car drivers would never insist that you get a car and stay off of your bike (though I'm tempted). But you think you have the right to tell us what to do.

Really? How come? Btw I've a car, as do most cyclists. I know it might sound crazy, but a half hour cycle to work makes much more sense to me than being stuck for an hour and a half in grid lock.

bubblypop wrote: »
    What difference how far to the avenue?
    If people want to go to the park , why do they need to be near the Avenue?

No idea. Why don't you do a survey of the people on the Avenue. Both ends, why are they there instead of at the other end, or down at the magazine etc.

Repeat it middle of summer and then winter. Daylight and Pitch Black, especially in the unlit parts.

I expect you'll be proved right and its makes no difference its all the same.

Thanks Bro.

The previous cycle lane needs to restored obviously, more than adequate.

Actually drivers tell cyclists to get off the road constantly. Objecting to cycle infrastructure pretty is much blocking people from cycling.
    Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Really? How come? Btw I've a car, as do most cyclists. I know it might sound crazy, but a half hour cycle to work makes much more sense to me than being stuck for an hour and a half in grid lock.

There are lot of times when cycling isn't an option. Lots of times when it is. But just saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Jesus it’s hardly the trek to the South Pole

Advertisement