Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Exactly . We haven’t been because we stayed local as asked to do . We look forward now to visiting it again

Well currently you can. The car parks are open. I would do it sooner rather than later. They are obviously planning more restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Within walking distance with young children ? Or within walking distance for the eldery , or within walking distance for someone who is not able to walk long distances due to arthritis ?

Then I can’t walk far , i have tendon damage , my husband has arthritis in his hip
    We love to drive to the Phoenix park , park there and have a nice stroll , sit on a bench and stroll back again . I beieve the Park should be for us too and not just for people who can walk to it from home . Its a Park for us all , young , old and everyone else in between . I would be hurt and disappointed if it was anything else
    I have been going to the Park for over 60 years and would very much likr to continue doing so . Its not just for the fit young people its for us all

That's very true. A genuine question though, how would you deal with the fact that the Park is becoming overrun with parked cars? I would like to see a carpark reserved for blue badge holders, but that won't solve the problem of too many people wanting to park inside the Park when they visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

polesheep wrote: »
    That's very true. A genuine question though, how would you deal with the fact that the Park is becoming overrun with parked cars? I would like to see a carpark reserved for blue badge holders, but that won't solve the problem of too many people wanting to park inside the Park when they visit.

If they are parking to enjoy the park then its not the same as parking and going into town to work .
    Maybe designated car parks and a limit on the parking .
    We go to Marley park often . It has two big car parks , when the are full they are full and anyone coming once full has to leave or wait till one is free
    Yes a blue badge car park would definitely be an asset for some at least
    I think it would be a real shame if the Park was not for us all to enjoy and for us all to access

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Where else do they park? There’s no car park near it. That’s the issue I think

Just get public transport to it. No parking required.

• Advertisement

The only way to stop too many cars in the park is have a system to control numbers. Or ban them entirely. The latter requires no effort or cost and thus is most likely.

But you can't allow unlimited parking or else you erode the the very reason people are going to the Park and limited parking with cars being turned away when the carparks are full would cause chaos. I can't understand why they were not obliged to build underground parking when they were building the courts building. That would have solved the issue of court workers and Gardai parking in the Park. I have no sympathy for people using the Park for park and ride; we all have issues to deal with in getting to work. As I said in a previous post, the Phoenix Park is a city park and it won't be too long before you won't be able to drive into that general area without great difficulty anyway. The era of the car, within the city, is drawing to a close.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yeah don't ever leave, you're great craic.

Its clear you've never sat on a criminal jury. The case I once sat on in the CCJ ran for 6 weeks, it was a gang murder, it was fraught and it involved random hours coming in and out and sequestration.

So, at the best of times, public transport is impractical for the CCJ. At reduced service capacity for the duration of this crisis, its a bust.

My jury service was shorter, six days iirc and in the Four Courts. Most of us used public transport. 2 or 3 drove in, and whined about finding and paying for parking. It worked fine.

Sequestration of a jury is very unusual here.

... The era of the car, within the city, is drawing to a close.

I had actually gone back to the car last year. Public transport gone so bad. If we switch to only being in the office 2 days a week. Buying a annual or weekly rail or bus ticket would be pointless. Traffic will be lighter so might as well use the car. Have it anyway. I was going to buy a bike for cycling to work. Won't need that either. I'll just a bike for fun stuff instead.

When I can buy a bike. Old ones worn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

beauf wrote: »
    I had actually gone back to the car last year. Public transport gone so bad. If we switch to only being in the office 2 days a week. Buying a annual or weekly rail or bus ticket would be pointless. Traffic will be lighter so might as well use the car. Have it anyway. I was going to buy a bike for cycling to work. Won't need that either. I'll just a bike for fun stuff instead.

The power of subtle sarcasm is strong with this one...with great power comes great responsibility.

We have 2 ministers in D15 and possibly a Junior for Chambers, we’ll probably have DART, Luas and Zeppelin service by Christmas so maybe hold off on the car just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

With public transport running at a fraction of capsacity for the foreseeable future, car traffic will be mental as people take to the car.

Just get public transport to it. No parking required.

Yeh That will be Great for families with buggies and bags and small kids . All very fine for young people who are fit and able but much harder for young families and the elderly .

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    With public transport running at a fraction of capsacity for the foreseeable future, car traffic will be mental as people take to the car.

Which is why forcing people into public transport going to the park makes so much sense...perfect synergy.

Rosser wrote: »
    The power of subtle sarcasm is strong with this one...with great power comes great responsibility.

We have 2 ministers in D15 and possibly a Junior for Chambers, we’ll probably have DART, Luas and Zeppelin service by Christmas so maybe hold off on the car just yet.

No shortage of hot air for the Lead Zeppelin anyway.

Yeh That will be Great for families with buggies and bags and small kids . All very fine for young people who are fit and able but much harder for young families and the elderly .

The elderly I understand, which is why I'm in favour of blue badge/pensioner parking. As for families, when I was a child my family often took two buses to visit the zoo. It was great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Came through the Park today and took a look around. Apart from the plague of bloody traffic cones all over the shop, there were cars parked on grass in many spots, causing totally unnecessary damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The elderly I understand, which is why I'm in favour of blue badge/pensioner parking. As for families, when I was a child my family often took two buses to visit the zoo. It was great fun.

Yes. Let's bring our kids on not one but two buses. While a global virus pandemic rages. Great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Well, if you were really that worried about a global pandemic you surely wouldn't be visiting the zoo in the first place like.

It's a park, not a car park or a rat run. There's plenty of public transport options to get there (train to Heuston/Luas to Heuston, the most frequent bus route in the city (46a) serves park directly and lots of other routes serve the Parkgate St entrance (25, 26, 66/b,67,69) as well as Dublin Bikes at Heuston and the commercial bike rental scheme in front of the CCJ. If disabled or infirm you'll have a blue badge, and if not & you are just too lazy and want to drive there directly then tough luck. World is changing and cars are finally being recognised as the supreme nuisance they are.

Well, if you were really that worried about a global pandemic you surely wouldn't be visiting the zoo in the first place like.

It's a park, not a car park or a rat run. There's plenty of public transport options to get there (train to Heuston/Luas to Heuston, the most frequent bus route in the city (46a) serves park directly and lots of other routes serve the Parkgate St entrance (25, 26, 66/b,67,69) as well as Dublin Bikes at Heuston and the commercial bike rental scheme in front of the CCJ. If disabled or infirm you'll have a blue badge, and if not & you are just too lazy and want to drive there directly then tough luck. World is changing and cars are finally being recognised as the supreme nuisance they are.

There are many people , elderly included , who would struggle with arthritis or other ailments who have no blue badge . Have you any solutions for these people or would you prefer they didn’t clutter up the enormous Phoenix Park ?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Well I think it's a valid point that a city park may not be accessible to everyone but you can't design a park that everyone in the country should be able to land in in a car! I've been interrailing 3 times and plenty of big city parks with public transport and no car parking. I am sure plenty of elderly and disabled people manage to get out of the house nearby whether or not the Phoenix Park in D7/15 is low on parking spaces!

• Advertisement

Yes. Let's bring our kids on not one but two buses. While a global virus pandemic rages. Great fun.

They want everyone to use public transport. :)

They want everyone to use public transport. :)

I'm not worried about the zoo, I'm annoyed that 1300 acres of public park is effectively being denied to anyone who doesn't live in the immediate vicinity.

I cannot bring my children anywhere on public transport. What are you not getting about this? It is quite literally not permitted. Public transport is for necessary journeys only.

I'm not worried about the zoo, I'm annoyed that 1300 acres of public park is effectively being denied to anyone who doesn't live in the immediate vicinity.

I cannot bring my children anywhere on public transport. What are you not getting about this? It is quite literally not permitted. Public transport is for necessary journeys only.

Do you really want to make long term plans for the City's transport around the current restrictions? They will pass, you know.

There are many people , elderly included , who would struggle with arthritis or other ailments who have no blue badge . Have you any solutions for these people or would you prefer they didn’t clutter up the enormous Phoenix Park ?

Have you any solutions? I suggested parking for blue badge holders and the elderly. Accommodating everyone who wants to park their car in the Park is cluttering up the Park and it will only get worse.

Do you really want to make long term plans for the City's transport around the current restrictions? They will pass, you know.

Agreed.

That's why I think the OPW bringing in these restrictions now, when other options for getting to the park are non-existent, is absolutely crazy.

But the OPW are a strange bunch.

Have you any solutions? I suggested parking for blue badge holders and the elderly. Accommodating everyone who wants to park their car in the Park is cluttering up the Park and it will only get worse.

I wasnt replying to your post . I was replying to a post that mentioned only blue badge holders
    My solution would be designated car parks with specific areas for blue badge , elderly and families with children .
    When they are full they are full and you would need to leave or wait for a spot .
    I would strongly object to a national park being only for those who can easily access it . Marley Park , Corkagh Park. St Catherines in Lucan all have car parks available to anyone who wants to use them as long as there are spaces left to park

I wasnt replying to your post . I was replying to a post that mentioned only blue badge holders
    My solution would be designated car parks with specific areas for blue badge , elderly and families with children .
    When they are full they are full and you would need to leave or wait for a spot .
    I would strongly object to a national park being only for those who can easily access it . Marley Park , Corkagh Park. St Catherines in Lucan all have car parks available to anyone who wants to use them as long as there are spaces left to park

Why families with children? When my children were young we always used public transport where possible. The kids enjoyed it way more than a journey in the car. The bus into town, the train to the beach, they loved it.

Given how busy the roads are at the gates to the Phoenix Park, motorists waiting for a parking space would cause mayhem.

I too would object to a park being only available to those who could easily access it, but that is not the case with the Phoenix Park. There is ample public transport for getting there. I have a half hour walk to the Phoenix Park, that's one hour round trip before I actually walk in the park, but I'd rather do that than see the park full of cars.

Why families with children? When my children were young we always used public transport where possible. The kids enjoyed it way more than a journey in the car. The bus into town, the train to the beach, they loved it.

Which pandemic was that ...

• Advertisement

I don’t think it’s fair to make it difficult, in some cases impossible, for people who don’t live beside the park (as I do) to access it. That said, it should not be a parking lot for those going into the city.

Parking for those using the park should be provided but arranged in such a way that parking to go into the city is prohibitively expensive. Maybe that is a free first 4 hours, and then a steep hourly charge beyond that.

In the UK there is a parking app called RingGo, on which you register your car and park pay according to the rules of street you are on. The parking warden just walks about and records the plate of each car and the app automatically works out whether the car has overstayed. No complexity, no moving the car and getting another ticket etc. Should be really easy. If we could just stop the ‘park and ride’ or ‘park and cycle’ merchants, then I think we’d be in a much better place with respect to cars in the park.

Also the gates should only provide access to car parks for park users, rather than facilitate through traffic, with the exception of the two end of the ave. that would make the whole park, away from the ave, a more pleasant place

Advertisement