Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Be better and safer with no People.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

beauf wrote: »
    Be better and safer with no People.

Are you feeling ok beauf? What are you really trying to say here. I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

Are you feeling ok beauf? What are you really trying to say here. I don't get it.

don't feed the troll...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

beauf is an old disillusioned cyclist who's now caught between the paddles of a bike and a car.

It's a vicious cycle. I've gone all cranky in old age.

• Advertisement

The lockdown has created a few interesting dilemmas
    Before the lockdown I was planning on buying a new bike for commuting. My old one is worn out. Probably an eBike. Have to clear the old bikes first though. No space left! However we may end up working from home a lot more. So the bike maybe be only a 2 day week commuter. So it no longer needs to be an eBike. But even if it is. It can be something less sensible.

But I'm thinking of buying a cheap MTB in the interim to enjoy the rest of the summer. Almost bought it earlier. Might do it now.

I'm also wondering the same with the car and the train. I didn't renew the annual rail pass this year. I'm not likely to need it again I'm thinking.

So what this got to do with the Park I hear you not asking. Nothing. Though we've been exploring all over looking for trails locally within range of not driving. While researching that I found this...

https://youtu.be/Dj6yzO0Zf3k

It amazes me how many people go to the park and walk along the main road. Like what is the point in that!!!

There are so many wonderful little walk ways and trails etc.

For someone like me that was forced to move outside Dublin, I’d hate to think you can’t park your car in the park.

Its just easier to access I assume. Or at least it was. Handy for a buggy, roller blades, balance bikes etc. Some people like a easy measurable distance. I suppose its a bit like road cycling vs mountain biking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

While researching that I found this...

https://youtu.be/Dj6yzO0Zf3k
    FYI: There are bee hives on the opposite side of the canal just before the 11th lock (before train station).
    I didn't realise there were steps to the platform - I'd suggested such an entrance during the public consultation about the Ashtown/Castleknock greenway.

Back before where the video starts you can go over the footbridge. It's fun to watch the cars speeding down the off ramp from M50 southbound to N3 westbound. Or take the shortcut to Dunsink Lane. Then you can cycle up to Elm Green Golf Club or walk through this gate and explore area between the Tolka and Junction 6 (and it has a great view looking down on Junction 6 buildings and the N3.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

So yes you don't understand the term unused space.

There's land at the back of Farmleigh they have used in the past as car parking just abandoned and derelict. There lots of areas on the fringe of the park that are pretty much dead ground, I've never seen deer or people anywhere near these areas in a lifetime of using the park. No one uses them because they are overgrown and/or inaccessible.

It would far better to have cars use those spaces than parked on the grass in the spaces that are used by people and animals.

You sound like Jeremy Clarkson.....

• Advertisement

Rosser wrote: »

..and you James May...?

Rosser wrote: »

All I was suggesting was moving the parking from the middle of the park (and on the grass) to the fringes of it. As is the case with most other parks.

What followed was a lot of whataboutery about concreting the whole park and not allowed to charge anything because it's been unchanged since the pyramids. When it's had loads of changes through the years.

Every park is busy even the ones with no roads. I wonder why that is? Pandemic maybe, schools and work closed? Of course not. Lol.

Most of the traffic in the park and parking is caused by the opw and poor traffic management. They could stop it if they wished. They choose not to. Likewise the sorry state of the cycling facilities in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Most of the traffic in the park and parking is caused by the opw and poor traffic management..

Nope Jeremy most of the traffic in the park goes through it without stopping, some of the traffic stops and should have parking the rest should go other routes.

James

No James I'm referring not referring to how it is normally.

I'm referring to the current plan which is causing massive traffic jams (traffic) far worse than normal with a fraction of the normal traffic volume.

If they didn't let it in the park, it wouldn't have to queue to get out.
    Its normally dissipated (into much smaller jams) by having multiple exits. Now its bottle-necked into just one.
    Once they saw that happening they should have closed the entrance.

I wouldn't call being stuck in a traffic jam for over an hour "not stopping". But then again James May is renown for his sedate pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

No James I'm referring not referring to how it is normally.

I'm referring to the current plan which is causing massive traffic jams (traffic) far worse than normal with a fraction of the normal traffic volume.

If they didn't let it in the park, it wouldn't have to queue to get out.
    Its normally dissipated (into much smaller jams) by having multiple exits. Now its bottle-necked into just one.
    Once they saw that happening they should have closed the entrance.

I wouldn't call being stuck in a traffic jam for over an hour "not stopping". But then again James May is renown for his sedate pace.

I’ll correct you there. Once they saw this they should have reopened all the other gates. You’re welcome 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Meanwhile in Castleknock village, the pedestrian lights were changed to reduce pedestrian waiting (and help them maintain social distancing).
    Then the motorists complained and won. Boo!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=677957889432705

I think the best plan is to avoid going anywhere near these places in a car unless you've no choice.

No traffic jams to be seen in the Phoenix park this morning :)

I don't think you've ever seen any problems with the park.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    Take it from someone who is in there everyday, there is no parking in grass on the north road. None at all.

bubblypop wrote: »
    There is no traffic chaos at the moment.
    Chesterfield Ave is much safer without cars parked either side.

I found a way of not seeing them also...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

daymobrew wrote: »
    Meanwhile in Castleknock village, the pedestrian lights were changed to reduce pedestrian waiting (and help them maintain social distancing).
    Then the motorists complained and won. Boo!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=677957889432705

In fairness the lights were only allowing a handful of cars to go through at a time which was bonkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

i think what was bonkers was cars driving through a living village were given priority over those going about their business on foot in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭mcgragger

There is already a cycle lane in the park and like it or not the car park there takes away from the congestion in town.
    They need to open the sides up again for parking/cyclists. I am a user of this method. My car gets left outside of the city and I cycle down to work. Its win win.

If they want to preserve cycling in the park why cant the exisitng lanes be slightly widened?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

mcgragger wrote: »
    There is already a cycle lane in the park and like it or not the car park there takes away from the congestion in town.
    They need to open the sides up again for parking/cyclists. I am a user of this method. My car gets left outside of the city and I cycle down to work. Its win win.

If they want to preserve cycling in the park why cant the exisitng lanes be slightly widened?

But you can't possibly be in favour of parked cars lining the main road in the park all day just so commuters can get into town? If it eases congestion in town that's not the answer... a different conversation needs to happen then around traffic management.

Hurrache wrote: »
    i think what was bonkers was cars driving through a living village were given priority over those going about their business on foot in it.

When they make a bottleneck worse (against local objections) by putting a huge supermarket in the middle of it, and an extra signal, and poorly design junction that the traffic will worse. You kinda expect they'll compound it by change the signalling.

Maybe they'll ban cars from the village next. That would certainly make it a nice walking experience.

What ever happened to the proposed cycle lane along Castleknock Road.

The location of the current cycle lane caused problems with pedestrians.

Especially with Strava times.

maxsmum wrote: »
    But you can't possibly be in favour of parked cars lining the main road in the park all day just so commuters can get into town? If it eases congestion in town that's not the answer... a different conversation needs to happen then around traffic management.

Well its debatable if the all the parking was commuters.
    But people seem to have selective memories about it.

The OPW could clamp them, that would solve that. Or not open the gates till 9.30 in the morning. Close them again from 4 to 7pm. 7 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

maxsmum wrote: »

Simple solution, put pay and display parking on Chesterfield Avenue. With a 3 hour max parking time it wouldn't be worth while for anyone going to the city.

completely disagree. The park shouldn't be for city parking. It should be for park users only. Hopefully a charge is implemented after a certain length of stay, at a level to strongly dissuade commuters from parking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Hurrache wrote: »

Castleknock Village is a bit of a traffic disaster though, and I don't think having a constant traffic jam is in anyones interest.

As for the park, I actually think it's better this way. And I say that as someone who commutes through it, at least before the pandemic.

• Advertisement

Simple solution, put pay and display parking on Chesterfield Avenue. With a 3 hour max parking time it wouldn't be worth while for anyone going to the city.

I would say free for three hours. And then a hefty charge per hour

Advertisement