Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provided chargers at shops

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

7 new twin 7kW AC’s gone into the new carpark at Kildare Village meaning 14 charging spaces - Largest hub in Ireland.

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Slight pity they're 7kW, not 11kW (or 22kW load balanced), but credit where credit is due.

7kW is about 35-40km added over an hours charge, vs ~60+km on an 11kW unit. I don't frequent Kildare village, but the times I have it's only been for 1-2 hours. From Cork it's about 400km return, but all motorway so even on the higher capacity cars it'd require a stop. 70km added over 2 hours of charging is cutting it tight. 120km added over 2 hours of charging is comfortable. As I say though, free 7kW units at a big shopping location... Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

2 hours. At 7kw you may stay 3. So they are serving a purpose. Also the supply may be limited so 7kw is the better option.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There's still two 22kW charge points I assume and 7kW a lot better than nothing, fair dues

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,988 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You sure they are only 7kW? The current 4 charge points were installed by Nigel Daly and are all 23kW. Very handy if your car can charge at 23kW, last time I went over there earlier this month, I got there with an almost empty battery, did a bit of shopping, went out for dinner and the battery was nearly full when I left, which was very helpful and would entice me to go there again to spend many hundreds (while saving a fiver on juice) 😂

• Advertisement

Im only going on what was reported on FB so would indeed need a field trip there in a 22/23kW capable car to get the full picture.

WilL be most likely heading there in a few days so will see if they at least put out 11kW..

• Registered Users Posts: 64,988 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nice one AndyBoBandy. And if they output 11kW then they are 3 phase so most likely they will be 32A too, so output 23kW. Here's hoping anyway 😁

As expected, the units are 7kW, but still a lovely site, and they have room for more should they so wish.

Actually couldn't start a charge from the side I plugged into, but no problem starting the charge from the opposite side of the same pedestal. Teething issues most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭innrain

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Not sure if mentioned before but I saw 2 units at Limerick One Shopping Park (formerly Childers Road Retail Park) over by the bottle bank between The Range and KFC

The information I don't have (but will check next time I'm there)

Power

Operator

Cost

Connections

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

There a couple of years. 7kW, €3 an hour paid by tapping your credit card. AC untethered. 43c/kWh, so very expensive for 7kW. If it were 11kW for €3 an hour that'd be a bit more in line with other AC charger costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭markpb

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It's always empty anytime I've seen it, expensive but the flip side is you'll never be caught wanting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,956 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Does anyone here have any experience with the (alleged) charger at the K club?

The website says they have a charger, but nothing on Plugshare or any other site about it

EDIT: Figured it out, they're Tesla AC units.

I'm guessing they're only tethered and no good for a Gen 1 Leaf?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

Single unit, looks to be red sign so Tesla only, not non Tesla. You need a white sign for non Tesla. Even then with a type 2 to type one adapter typically they don't charge leafs.

lucan, kill, naas are nearest 50kW+ chargers.

Note if you don't see it on plugshare check you have all the connector options ticked including Tesla, restricted, coming soon etc

Ah yeah, I see it now that I toggled Tesla connectors on

Looks like the missus will need to learn to use public chargers at last 😂

You could ask for access to a 3pin, I did at a hotel at the weekend and they had no problem letting me use an external socket

Well she'd only be there for a few hours most likely

She's decided to learn to drive the ID.4 instead so she can manage longer trips

The Leaf could make it in theory but there's not much margin for error and she'd have to contend with Dublin fast chargers, easier to take the bigger battery car

Ah, agreed, 3pin waste of time for a few hours, was great for me for two evening/nights charge, got around 52kWh's worth

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dublin fast chargers are largely empty when I’m driving around.

Where in Dublin is she going?

Swords. The Leaf is down to 11 bars, so the range is down a bit. I could make it in theory but she'll probably need a quick top up on the way

Easiest charger is probably Blanch since it has 2 chargers, but she was complaining about having to deal with traffic around the shopping centre, plus Blanch is one of the busier ones

Other options are Lucan and Clonsaugh, but they're both single units, and often in use in my experience

Blanch is probably the worse fast charger in the country alright. Always busy.

Swords has one in the airport but busy too. Another in the garage at the N32 junction.

depending in the direction of travel, Swords can be tight in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I don't see a problem,

Why don't you spout the usual 10 minute stop at any charger or move on to the next charger if that's busy

Is it a White ID.4? I passed one on the M50 at about 10:20am with a lady driving!!

Yeah it's right down to the wire with the Leaf in winter. If she can make it to the airport then she'd basically be home

Lucan would probably be another option, but based on the stats we'd have a 50% chance the charger is being used, not the best odds

Blue, 211 reg

If you see one with a really nervous looking guy in the passenger seat them that's us 😂

She's curbed the Leaf a couple of times so I'm a bit reluctant to give her the bigger car 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

I've noticed a big increase recently in use at our local retail park with 6 x 22kW chargers.

Yesterday morning was the first time I saw 2 cars queuing for the charging spots - 5 were in use, 1 has been broken since before Christmas.

Nowhere to queue so both cars had their hazards on and pulled in as far as they could to allow other cars past.

Chargers have always been free there, but can't see this carrying on for 2022. I'm sure behavior will change if there's a cost involved

This is a very strange attitude to have as an EV driver.

How long will they que and to get a charge at only a couple of kw.

There's only a handful of cars that can pull 22kw from those chargers. What kind of cars did you notice queing?

I would class these as destination chargers so expect to be plugged in and gone for a couple of hours.

• Advertisement

I was wondering this as well. I thought it might be in a city where home chargers can be difficult to get and more people rely on public charging

Still, surviving off AC while shopping would be a major pain, even if it's free. I wonder were cars being left there for the day

Advertisement