Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer insisting on paying 18 y/o under min. wage

Options

Comments

kippy wrote: »
    I don't get your point to be honest.
    The guy is 18 and moaning about life instead of doing something about it - taking some control over his life.
    Realising that the majority of the planet live in far worse circumstances than you is a big part of life and you coping capabilities.

Ahhhhh,I quoted the wrong person. I agree with you.

Dav010 wrote: »
    What is minimum wage in Peru and Cuba?

Dunno, presumable the income levels match the cost of living as it does in most countries

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Dunno, presumable the income levels match the cost of living as it does in most countries

The minimum wage in Peru is the equivalent of 250 eruo a month, however a cup of coffee is equivalent to 25 cents.

Therefore for 250 euro in Peru would get you 1,000 cups of coffee.

A months min wage of 8.10 euro @ 158 hours a month = 1279.80 euro and say a cup of coffee is 3 euro = 426.6 cup of coffee.

If you only drank coffee you would be doing better in Peru.

mariaalice wrote: »
    The minimum wage in Peru is the equivalent of 250 eruo a month, however a cup of coffee is equivalent to 25 cents.

Therefore for 250 euro in Peru would get you 1,000 cups of coffee.

A months min wage of 8.10 euro @ 158 hours a month = 1279.80 euro and say a cup of coffee is 3 euro = 426.6 cup of coffee.

If you only drank coffee you would be doing better in Peru.

Great, but then isn't that locally produced in Peru and shipped at great expense to Ireland?

How much is a nice steak in the Dominican republic? Or a potato?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭JoeFritzl

Ahh grow up and take the pay you're given

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mark2912

Hello everyone, it's me again

Update:

I received a call yesterday from Dunnes (different branch than where I worked at xmas) regarding a CV I left in around January/February, I have an interview with them tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

mark2912 wrote: »

Update:

I received a call yesterday from Dunnes (different branch than where I worked at xmas) regarding a CV I left in around January/February, I have an interview with them tomorrow :D

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Update:

Best of luck

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

thats great news ,all the best with your future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep, best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

You're mad lucky that they got back to you after that amount of time, wouldn't think they'd be getting back to people after that long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

How did the interview go?

How did the interview go?

I think it went very well. The HR manager was impressed, especially as I'd worked for the company previously. I'll know tomorrow of I got it and if so I'll be starting on Tuesday. The position is for grocery checkouts.

I have a very good feeling about it :D

Got a call earlier this morning. I got the job :D I'm starting on Tuesday.

I rang Dealz and told them where to put their €8.39/hr job, onwards and upwards from hereon :)

I rang Dealz and told them where to put their €8.39/hr job, onwards and upwards from hereon :)

Great news. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

congratulations and best of luck

on a side note i hope you were at least polite with Dealz when rejecting the job as Ireland is a small place and you might come accross someone from there in another place down the line

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    congratulations and best of luck

on a side note i hope you were at least polite with Dealz when rejecting the job as Ireland is a small place and you might come accross someone from there in another place down the line

Yes, I was nice about it. Just a quick call saying "Hi [Manager] had an interview with yourself last week & just wanted to let you know that I have gotten another job and no longer need the job at Dealz. Thanks"

• Site Banned Posts: 461 ✭✭callmehal

:D The 'accept what you're given you lowly maggot' crew will have to eat some humble pie. **** dealz, well done kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,463 ✭✭✭✭kippy

callmehal wrote: »
    :D The 'accept what you're given you lowly maggot' crew will have to eat some humble pie. **** dealz, well done kid.

Don't worry, the OP will be on here soon enough moaning about some aspect of his newly found employment.

• Advertisement

Don't worry, the OP will be on here soon enough moaning about some aspect of his newly found employment.

:D Enjoying your humble pie?

:D Enjoying your humble pie?

Fair play to the OP for getting a better paying job. I don't think anyone have him advice to the effect of taking the Deals job and sticking with it for the rest of his career....

No way, Dunnes is good to work for, I enjoyed my last employment with them. There was a srtong, positive staff/management relationship.

And I don't think people should assume that every workplace has horrible managers, maybe I was just unlucky when I got the job at the Hyatt.

A few people somehow don't think that 8 quid an hour is a fair wage. What is a fair wage given the variables and why would you make this determination?
    The majority of the planet earn far less....
    €8 an hour is €320 a week, pretty much tax free on a standard 40 hour week.

For an 18 year old with absolutely no relevant qualifications or experience I am not sure what you are expecting.
    Still doesn't make 8 euro an hour a bad wage. Needs another part time job or a job with better hours.
    It's one of those things. You have no control over the wages being offered of the hours being offered. You either accept it and get on with it or review what you need to do and how you need to do it to improve your career options and move on with your life.
    Relative to realistic alternatives, it's an acceptable wage.
    It would depend on your specific circumstances and habits as to how easily you could live on it however.
    I don't get your point to be honest.
    The guy is 18 and moaning about life instead of doing something about it - taking some control over his life.
    Realising that the majority of the planet live in far worse circumstances than you is a big part of life and you coping capabilities.

:pac: Look how salty you were to see him actually get a better job:

:pac: Look how salty you were to see him actually get a better job:
    If you read that as me saying don't look for anything better, it says more about you than me.
    I was simply pointing out that for an 18 year old there's absolutely nothing wrong with the wages. The poster thought he could do better money wise and he did.
    As I said you either accept it and move on or don't accept it and do something about it. .....

If you read that as me saying don't look for anything better, it says more about you than me.
    I was simply pointing out that for an 18 year old there's absolutely nothing wrong with the wages. The poster thought he could do better money wise and he did.
    As I said you either accept it and move on or don't accept it and do something about it. .....

OP might have gotten a better hourly rate, but will they get the same hours?

OP might have gotten a better hourly rate, but will they get the same hours?

Dealz was a minimum 12 hour week contract. I asked at ,y interview how many hours per week I would be likely to get and I was told 16 :eek: I'll never forget when leaving my CV in the words of said manager was "we're always hiring, we have a high staff turnover"... I wonder why :rolleyes:

Dunnes, however, the contract is for 15 to 37.5 hours per week, and friends of mine who work for Dunnes already (different branches) who are on the same contract usually get in and around the maximum contracted hours, and sometimes even overtime. Starting on €11.23/hour, you get paid time and a half for Sundays and overtime, and time and three quarters for nightpack shifts (11pm-7am). Your hourly rate also increases by 3% each November, and staff also get an in-store discount. This starts at 10%, but I believe that this increases to 15% and then to 20% as your years of service go by.

Dealz was a minimum 12 hour week contract. I asked at ,y interview how many hours per week I would be likely to get and I was told 16 :eek: I'll never forget when leaving my CV in the words of said manager was "we're always hiring, we have a high staff turnover"... I wonder why :rolleyes:

Dunnes, however, the contract is for 15 to 37.5 hours per week, and friends of mine who work for Dunnes already (different branches) who are on the same contract usually get in and around the maximum contracted hours, and sometimes even overtime. Starting on €11.23/hour, you get paid time and a half for Sundays and overtime, and time and three quarters for nightpack shifts (11pm-7am). Your hourly rate also increases by 3% each November, and staff also get an in-store discount. This starts at 10%, but I believe that this increases to 15% and then to 20% as your years of service go by.

Sounds good. From experience of Dunne’s, I know that as your wage goes up, your hours come down. However, you get great training there and it’s a good start.

Sounds good. From experience of Dunne’s, I know that as your wage goes up, your hours come down. However, you get great training there and it’s a good start.

On completing my PLC this year, the plan was to go straight into the degree this September. However I have decided to take a gap year.

The reason for this is because I am on an initial three-month contract with Dunnes, which is, in the words of the manager, likely to be renewed based on performance. They want fully flexible people so I think its best to postpone college until next year in order to work full-time and save money. Then when the time comes, I could ask to go part-time, providing I'm still there.

The two xmas staff who were kept last year when I first worked for Dunnes were fully flexible which I believe may have been the reason that I wasn't kept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭thefa

On completing my PLC this year, the plan was to go straight into the degree this September. However I have decided to take a gap year.

The reason for this is because I am on an initial three-month contract with Dunnes, which is, in the words of the manager, likely to be renewed based on performance. They want fully flexible people so I think its best to postpone college until next year in order to work full-time and save money. Then when the time comes, I could ask to go part-time, providing I'm still there.

The two xmas staff who were kept last year when I first worked for Dunnes were fully flexible which I believe may have been the reason that I wasn't kept.

Glad you got a better offer Mark and hope it works out. Just on the above, I can understand the logic in part but would begin to question the plan. Just a couple things to consider;

-if the 3-month contract (July-Sept?) doesn't work out or you don't like the job, would you have been better off commencing the course?

-do you really want to go down the route of that course given you're willing to put it aside for a year plus for a job in Dunnes so you can work full time and save more money? It doesn't seem like you're on the breadline since the plan previously was to begin the course in September.

Advertisement