Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer insisting on paying 18 y/o under min. wage

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 461 ✭✭callmehal

Deub wrote: »
    Why do you think Sport Directs are cheap? Do you think it is because their suppliers pay their employees top dollar?

Obviously not. What point are you even trying to make?

ziedth wrote: »
    Going on the Dole and waiting for the perfect job to come along is quite frankly ludicrous advice (unless you qualify for a role that is sought after but that isn't applicable here)

Not the perfect job, a job that pays a reasonable wage. Not difficult this.

Wrong. He’s 18, minimum wage is 8.08 and is being offered 8.39 which is about 4% over minimum. How’s my maths?

Not very good. Minimum wage is 10.10. Slave labour wage is below that. He shouldn't accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 starrygleam11

Hi Mark ,

First of your only 18 dont worry.

Second you have few options:
    1.find a part time job 5 hrs a day and study part time.

2.get an apprenticeship you will study and get paid at the same time after two years u will have some sort of education and experience and u will be getting paid.
    (some apprenticeships are longer than 2 years)

3.try to get back to college.

4.find a full time job - the thing about this u must really think u could get a full time job in retail but remember after sometime u might realise that there are better paid Jobs with education.

5.Dole and study and look for Jobs.

Anyhow just dont stress and take it easy.

To whoever said to him to grow a pair u clearly dont realise 18 is still technically a growing adult u can call a 23 year old an adult not an 18 year old fresh out of school with not much life experience i think u should grow some persepctive about age.

Wish you the best in life take it easy !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

callmehal wrote: »
    Not the perfect job, a job that pays a reasonable wage. Not difficult this.

Why do you think an 18 yr old doing a job which requires no qualifications should be paid more than minimum wage? Surely the incentive is there to go further in education or learn a trade so that you can apply for jobs which pay more.

I think it is unreasonable to expect a higher paid job unless you have put the time in, or bring some knowledge to the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

mark2912 wrote: »

€8.39/hour, min 12 hours/ week contract, paid monthly - do the maths:
    8.39x12= 100.68
    100.68*4= €402.72 per month

How can anybody live on that a month? Most people earn that in a week, never mind a month
    You can't use an argument that someone cannot live on xx and berate a company.

That's a dreadfully simplistic argument.

A job is not always about money. Some people want it to have adult company, so to gain experience, some to earn a few extra quid to supplement a main earner in a household, some just want a few hours because they are studying.

Center parcs is a classic example. Many people said that the jobs were 4 mornings a week and the same argument "you couldn't live on that"

Yet the jobs were filled and many of them are parents of young children who only have 3-4 hours a day available, so it's a perfect job.

In the ops case, they are young, possibly don't have a leaving cert (guessing by age), has some confidence problems.

Take the opportunity it offers. Look at the potential. A large company like dealz has many opportunities. See it as a first step and challenge yourself to not just get the minimum wage on 19th birthday, but to move up a notch within 12 months.

It's easily done if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Take the job while you look for something else to come along.

The restaurant, pub and hotel industry supplies a lot of jobs for young people and over the last 3 months we have absolutely wrecked it so part time jobs for younger workers are going to be hard found for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Not very good. Minimum wage is 10.10. Slave labour wage is below that. He shouldn't accept it.

Incorrect.

Go check it before suggesting you are right, cos you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

I don't mean any offense to anyone undergoing mental health issues but to be put on medication for being let go from dunnes must surely be an indicator of deeper issues, they describe themselves as being anxious and depressed, the future doesn't look good OP if things like this are what makes you anxious and depressed, I'd suggest exercising, counselling and get rid of the pills, but then maybe it's easier head to the doctor for a prescription and blame your bad luck on everyone else

Dav010 wrote: »
    Why do you think an 18 yr old doing a job which requires no qualifications should be paid more than minimum wage? Surely the incentive is there to go further in education or learn a trade so that you can apply for jobs which pay more.

I think it is unreasonable to expect a higher paid job unless you have put the time in, or bring some knowledge to the job.

18 year old is an adult. We want them to behave like adults and enter the working world or get themselves an education. Minimum wage for adults is 10.10, if anything that should go up. It's not reasonable for any company to pay below 10.10. They should be called out for it, not the young people who have been offered peanuts.

• Advertisement

I don't mean any offense to anyone undergoing mental health issues but to be put on medication for being let go from dunnes must surely be an indicator of deeper issues, they describe themselves as being anxious and depressed, the future doesn't look good OP if things like this are what makes you anxious and depressed, I'd suggest exercising, counselling and get rid of the pills, but then maybe it's easier head to the doctor for a prescription and blame your bad luck on everyone else

He could have a mental disorder that we dont know about maybe the medication is what keeps him tipping for now u shouldnt give any sort of medical advice to an 18 year old.Exercise counselling and healthy eating is a part of mental wellbeing but sometimes these dont always guarantee full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A mental breakdown because of been let go from a temporary job in Dunnes? Bizarre.
    I worked the same job before tried to keep me but I declined. The worst job I ever had, the managers are jumped up little Hitler's.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Incorrect.

Go check it before suggesting you are right, cos you are wrong.

I am right. There's a slave labour wage, then a minimum wage and even that is below what it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Stop being an idiot please, for your own sake.

What you gonna do rambo? :pac:

He is right this is a slave labour wage and the only people this benefits are the greedy employers .Alot of people his age are on proper minimum wage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

He could have a mental disorder that we dont know about maybe the medication is what keeps him tipping for now u shouldnt give any sort of medical advice to an 18 year old.Exercise counselling and healthy eating is a part of mental wellbeing but sometimes these dont always guarantee full recovery.

Very true and i don't want to demean any mental issues the op might have, i hope things work out for them in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭thefa

I think when starting out a career you have to really accept that a perfect job is highly unlikely to come along. There has to be compromises and you’ve shown some unreasonable flexibility going by the prior opportunity rejected at the very least.

Especially in the current economy. I’m old enough to remember qualified/educated people only able to get jobs on the job-bridge scheme earning a whopping €50 a week on top of the dole for a full weeks work. Those people were grinders working towards a career knowing that the long-term of experience would stand to them. Experience on the CV is a gateway to more and better opportunities and a person in employment is often viewed more favorably than one out from my experience.

As a recent poster implied, you could do with having a think about what is the plan and what you are working towards and, unless you are on the breadline, I wouldn’t put undue emphasis on short-term finances in the decision process.

He is right this is a slave labour wage and the only people this benefits are the greedy employers .Alot of people his age are on proper minimum wage

It depends on the job you are applying for and what the market will pay. Dealz is a low price shop, it hardly comes as a surprise that they are offering minimum wage. This isn’t slave labour, the op isn’t being forced to do it and he is being paid above the legal limit for his age. If the op could get a higher paying job, I’m sure he would take it, but for now, this is what is on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

What you gonna do rambo? :pac:

Blind you with facts.

The current national minimum wage is €10.10 as you say, per Section 2 of S.I. 8/2020, the National Minimum Wage Order 2020. However, as the OP is only aged 18, then the actual minimum wage is 80% of that figure, namely €8.08, per Section 15(4)(b) of the Employment (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2018.

• Advertisement

Blind you with facts.

The current national minimum wage is €10.10 as you say, per Section 2 of S.I. 8/2020, the National Minimum Wage Order 2020. However, as the OP is only aged 18, then the actual minimum wage is 80% of that figure, namely €8.08, per Section 15(4)(b) of the Employment (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2018.

You're decribing the slave labour wage. The minimum wage is 10.10. That should be higher. Any company offering under 10.10 should be blacklisted.

You're decribing the slave labour wage. The minimum wage is 10.10. That should be higher. Any company offering under 10.10 should be blacklisted.

Any company paying at or above minimum wage is acting legally, there can be no reason to blacklisting. Slave labour implies that the employee is being forced to work for low wages, this is not the case. Hyperbole like this undermines the point you are trying, badly, to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,986 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes, I’ve a gigantic problem with that, the law can apply differently, employment law for two adults, just in varying age groups... madness... sure why not lower it too for those 63 and over ? There would be uproar.

I’d wonder about the legality of two different minimum standards of payment , two adults over the age of 18, say one 19, the other 22... entitling the 19 year old to a lesser minimum... both adults.

That is not very fair, is it very legal ?

Blind you with facts.

Yes for the benefit of employers just becouse its written in the law doesnt mean its fair and correct.
    Btw deals is profiting millions a year like many other Cheap companies and these companies should be punished for paying slave wages to their workers theyre basically using them left and right

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭JoeFritzl

Strumms wrote: »
    It was created so that no employer would or could be paying an employee an unfair wage. Which is why I don’t get why citizens over 20 are protected and those younger who are eligible to work are not afforded the same rights, protection and respect.

It’s zero of any employers business or the governments for that matter, on what level I’m supporting myself or otherwise.

If I’m 19, single living in a house share, or at home, starting my working life I should expect the same rights and protection as a 34 year old, 2 kids, mortgage... ie. a minimum wage, the same minimum wage and to be absolutely equal as an adult employee and citizen of this country and visa versa...

That's what they want to pay. If you don't want it, feck off. Someone else will take it and be damn glad to have it.

Yes, I’ve a gigantic problem with that, the law can apply differently, employment law for two adults, just in varying age groups... madness... sure why not lower it too for those 63 and over ? There would be uproar.

I’d wonder about the legality of two different minimum standards of payment , two adults over the age of 18, say one 19, the other 22... entitling the 19 year old to a lesser minimum... both adults.

That is not very fair, is it very legal ?

What’s the difference between legal and “very” legal? You should be able to answer your own question about minimum wage payments then.

JoeFritzl wrote: »
    That's what they want to pay. If you don't want it, feck off. Someone else will take it and be damn glad to have it.

You are correct in a way but if all people thought like u and let themselfs be used we would all be on 8 euro an hour not the correct approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,986 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

JoeFritzl wrote: »

If someone else was glad to take it, glad to have it and receive 2.40 an hour would you be all, ‘that’s what they want to pay, too ?’ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Deub

Obviously not. What point are you even trying to make?

You promote the type of companies that pushes suppliers to do exactly what you are complaining about.

• Advertisement

If someone else was glad to take it, glad to have it and receive 2.40 an hour would you be all, ‘that’s what they want to pay, too ?’ ;)

They would be breaking the law by paying below minimum wage in that case.

Advertisement