Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer insisting on paying 18 y/o under min. wage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭The Sky

mark2912 wrote: »
    I couldn't care less about the experience at the end of the day, I know nobody else who gets paid that low. €8.39 is a joke and should be illegal, its a disgrace, I'll get laughed at by friends/peers, all of whom get paid at least €10.10 in their jobs.

The one job I liked was only temporary. The fact that I expressed interest in being made permanent after xmas to them and they went ahead and kept 2 other people instead of me is what got to me the most. Loosing that job was like loosing a limb and changed who I am today. I didn't care about anything else, just the job, I wanted to be dead, I was grieving. I obviously wasn't good enough for them :confused:

I really hope you find a job more suited to your needs but you're going to have to grow up a little bit and take this one on the chin, experience is valuable especially for your age and with the current situation facing us all. Take the job so that it may lead to bigger and better opportunites for you in the future, you gotta have a can do attitude! :)

Also never mind what your friends think, they won't know unless you tell them, and at least it is honest work, appreciate that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭antimatterx

It was important to me because it was a huge weight off my shoulders being able to go to work without the horrible working conditions I had at my job before that one (see thread regarding this https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058024453 )

I will never forget going in to Dunnes a week or 2 before Christmas, looking at the roster and seeing 2 other temporary staff on it for dates after Christmas. Aware of how I felt about this, my manager rang me on NYE to tell me that there was a position available in the Cafe Sol within the Dunnes branch and would I be interested. This involved 8am starts on weekends and paid around €10.60/hour which was nothing near what I was on in Dunnes initially, so I declined the offer

Are you actually serious? Nothing like you were on?? It's a 63c an hour decrease. If you worked 40 hours, you were down €25. That's nothing, and you were foolish not to take it.

Why are 8am starts an issue? You would probably finish at 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

I will never forget going in to Dunnes a week or 2 before Christmas, looking at the roster and seeing 2 other temporary staff on it for dates after Christmas. Aware of how I felt about this, my manager rang me on NYE to tell me that there was a position available in the Cafe Sol within the Dunnes branch and would I be interested. This involved 8am starts on weekends and paid around €10.60/hour which was nothing near what I was on in Dunnes initially, so I declined the offer

I think you’re going to have to toughen up if you’re going to continue down the business route. Not being kept on at Dunnes after Christmas is nothing personal. They simply don’t have the need for all the staff after Christmas. What’s the problem with 8am starts? You’ll be looking at a lot earlier in an accounts office etc in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mark2912

Are you actually serious? Nothing like you were on?? It's a 63c an hour decrease. If you worked 40 hours, you were down €25. That's nothing, and you were foolish not to take it.

Why are 8am starts an issue? You would probably finish at 4.

But its not fair at all, imagine going back to a job and being paid less than the other 2 that were obviously better to be kept than me. Them 2 looking down on you like "ha ha we're better than you", I wasn't doing it to myself.

The whole situation broke my heart, I've needed counselling and was also prescribed diazepam as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

This is the first time I've truly understood what people mean by "Snowflake generation"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

But its not fair at all, imagine going back to a job and being paid less than the other 2 that were obviously better to be kept than me. Them 2 looking down on you like "ha ha we're better than you", I wasn't doing it to myself.

The whole situation broke my heart, I've needed counselling and was also prescribed diazepam as a result.

How would they know what you're being paid?

And I doubt they would be arsed if they did anyways

Counselling over a seasonal job, jesus wept

It's 63c. You would still be making a wage every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

it was a different job in the cafe, and cares what they think, they're not paying your Bill's. Whether they have a job or not does affect your situation. Take the job in dealz and when you turn 19 in a few months you have a pay rise to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭circadian

They wouldn't know the changes in salary unless you told them.

They don't care.

You said it yourself, they were "obviously better", accept that fact, and try harder next time. Life owes you nothing and you're going to have to carve your own way in life and make a better situation for yourself.

One penny make two penny, one pound makes two pound etc, just take the job, it's easier to get a job once you have a job, remember that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If they were obviously better to be kept on them you surely can’t think you should be paid as much as them?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Sky wrote: »
    I really hope you find a job more suited to your needs but you're going to have to grow up a little bit and take this one on the chin, experience is valuable especially for your age and with the current situation facing us all. Take the job so that it may lead to bigger and better opportunites for you in the future, you gotta have a can do attitude! :)

Also never mind what your friends think, they won't know unless you tell them, and at least it is honest work, appreciate that fact.

Why should they ‘take it on the chin’ ? They are 18 years of age, they are an adult. If working they should be entitled to the minimum that’s been afforded to their other adult colleagues.. be it at 18, 19, 20, 29, 49 years of age...they are going to have the same expectations of them give or take, yes they will have less experience but an incentive to gain some aptitude and abilities is to reward their efforts fairly...

If I’m working in a supermarket stacking shelves, the guy with two years experience, at 22 is doing the same job is getting paid a euro more an hour, fine, but I’m still expecting minimum wage..I still want it in stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

It sounds like the counseling is needed, but not because of the job. The fact that it upset you so much suggests deeper issues.

You seem very paranoid about what others think of you and that’s not healthy either.

Have you considered education or training to set yourself up for a career outside retail?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Strumms wrote: »
    Why should they ‘take it on the chin’ ? They are 18 years of age, they are an adult. If working they should be entitled to the minimum that’s been afforded to their other adult colleagues.. be it at 18, 19, 20, 29, 49 years of age...they are going to have the same expectations of them give or take, yes they will have less experience but an incentive to gain some aptitude and abilities is to reward their efforts fairly...

If I’m working in a supermarket stacking shelves, the guy with two years experience, at 22 is doing the same job is getting paid a euro more an hour, fine, but I’m still expecting minimum wage..I still want it in stone.

The employer is doing nothing wrong here in relation to the rate of pay, you can have that in stone if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It was important to me because it was a huge weight off my shoulders being able to go to work without the horrible working conditions I had at my job before that one (see thread regarding this https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058024453 )

....a bird in the hand. I know you really wanted to work on the shop floor but the job in the Cafe (which they offered you!!) would have kept your leg in the door and added new experience to your cv. Who knows, you may have loved it too? If you have no job you take what you can as a starting point back to where you want to be. You dont get that sitting at home just waiting for the “perfect job”- no such thing and if there is there’s usually a hard route towards. Maybe this all comes with age?

If you were very bothered what they think (believe me, they did not give a damn) just say you wanted to work in the cafe for the experience.

• Site Banned Posts: 461 ✭✭callmehal

So it appears that while they aren't breaking the law, but it still isn't good enough.

€8.39/hour, min 12 hours/ week contract, paid monthly - do the maths:
    8.39x12= 100.68
    100.68*4= €402.72 per month

How can anybody live on that a month? Most people earn that in a week, never mind a month

Head down to the dole office and sign on. Don't listen to anyone who sneers at this option.

Well then don't take the job if you're not happy with the pay?

Welcome to being an adult

Being an adult does not mean accepting ****ty pay in a ****ty job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Who2

Strumms wrote: »

Theres a lot of employees out there, who cant wipe their own a*se let alone cover the cost of minimum wage. If someones good, minimum wage is only a temporary stop gap,before that its a matter of experience, work ethic and foremost attitude to the job. A good worker will be noticed, kept and get a pay rise in the majority of situations. Dramas, whinging, lazing about or complaining about damn all will only put them on top of the list to be let go.
    Too many people land into work and expect to get paid for just turning up, how many could cover themselves if they got paid by the amount they done?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

callmehal wrote: »

No, but sometimes it means accepting what you can get.

• Advertisement

It does at 18

Head down to the dole office and sign on. Don't listen to anyone who sneers at this option.

Can’t someone with part time and claim for the hours they're not employed pro rata? Have no idea how it works but thought you could

Dav010 wrote: »
    No, but sometimes it means accepting what you can get.
    It does at 18

He should head to the dole office for the best he can get. Think people should work instead of going on the dole? Well then reconsider your position on thinking offering peanuts is acceptable.

road_high wrote: »
    Can’t someone with part time and claim for the hours they're not employed pro rata? Have no idea how it works but thought you could

I think so. That would probably be the best option for the OP. For so little hours he can get it topped up I believe. He should head to the dole office to investigate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Minimum wage for anybody is for someone, over the age of 18 years old, with one years relevant experience. In effect, this means you have to be 19 to get it.

Crazy, but true

He should head to the dole office for the best he can get. Think people should work instead of going on the dole? Well then reconsider your position on thinking offering peanuts is acceptable.

He better get use to that then, as nothing working and not gaining experience is not going to increase prospects and salary.

People should work instead of going on the dole, if people are seriously considering between the dole and a job then it's time to lower the amount on the dole if it is no incentive to work.

There would be no dole without working people. I'm not trying to bash people on the dole, i've been on it myself but this sense of entitlement doesn't help, you need to pull yourself up by the bootstraps in this world.

He better get use to that then, as nothing working and not gaining experience is not going to increase prospects and salary.

He goes on the dole until he gets a job for a company who pays the basic amount at least. Why would he work for a company who pays peanuts? You just know companies like that treat their employees like sh1t. Lifes too short to be wasting it on companies like that. On to the dole until you get something better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

This thread has to be a piss take. There’s no way someone could be this childish at 18. Grow a pair OP...

• Advertisement

The Sky wrote: »
    People should work instead of going on the dole, if people are seriously considering between the dole and a job then it's time to lower the amount on the dole if it is no incentive to work.

There would be no dole without working people. I'm not trying to bash people on the dole, i've been on it myself but this sense of entitlement doesn't help, you need to pull yourself up by the bootstraps in this world.

Why not raise the minimum wage instead? Making things miserable for people to survive is not the way to go.

Advertisement