Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer insisting on paying 18 y/o under min. wage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

callmehal wrote: »
    Why not raise the minimum wage instead? Making things miserable for people to survive is not the way to go.

Go protest the government if you want, but that's not going to help the op have cash in thier pocket.

• Site Banned Posts: 461 ✭✭callmehal

This thread has to be a piss take. There’s no way someone could be this childish at 18. Grow a pair OP...

Of course the OP's not really 18. The attitude of posters here is very real though. Let young people and people on the dole suffer. I'm alright Jack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Of course the OP's not really 18. The attitude of posters here is very real though. Let young people and people on the dole suffer. I'm alright Jack.

You were encouraging them to go on the dole a second ago, but now people in the dole are suffering. Lol

sugarman wrote: »
    Dole for an 18 is €100 or there abouts.

Yes so similar amount and he can get applying for far superior companies instead of wasting his time with this one.

Go protest the government if you want, but that's not going to help the op have cash in thier pocket.

No, going on the dole will. I already suggested it.

• Advertisement

You were encouraging them to go on the dole a second ago, but now people in the dole are suffering. Lol

You missed the part where a poster was calling for the dole to be cut. You might need to go back to school to brush up on your reading skills. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

He should head to the dole office for the best he can get. Think people should work instead of going on the dole? Well then reconsider your position on thinking offering peanuts is acceptable.

It is easier to move from employment in one job to another, so the op should consider the benefit of having a good track record of employment and references to go with it. Though harsh to say, this is what the op is qualified to do, so finding a well, or even better paying job would be challenging at the best of times, but even more so now with increased unemployment and business cutbacks.

Do I think people should work rather than being on the dole? If they can, yes, it is better than sitting at home and/or being rejected by the jobs you apply for. And right now, at 18 with no qualifications, the op is being offered a job which if he doesn’t take, someone else soon will. You are paid what the market will bare, so right now the op is being offered what he is worth in today’s market.

I suspect a lot of people will be applying to those “superior companies” now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

No, going on the dole will. I already suggested it.

So will going to work

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

mark2912 wrote: »
    I couldn't care less about the experience at the end of the day, I know nobody else who gets paid that low. €8.39 is a joke and should be illegal, its a disgrace, I'll get laughed at by friends/peers, all of whom get paid at least €10.10 in their jobs.

The one job I liked was only temporary. The fact that I expressed interest in being made permanent after xmas to them and they went ahead and kept 2 other people instead of me is what got to me the most. Loosing that job was like loosing a limb and changed who I am today. I didn't care about anything else, just the job, I wanted to be dead, I was grieving. I obviously wasn't good enough for them :confused:

If any of your mates think they can take the piss cause they make €1.71 an hour more than you do I think it may be time for you to re-evaluate your friendship with said mate......

Dav010 wrote: »
    It is easier to move from employment in one job to another, so the op should consider the benefit of having a good track record of employment and references to go with it. Though harsh to say, this is what the op is qualified to do, so finding a well, or even better paying job would be challenging at the best of times, but even more so now with increased unemployment and business cutbacks.

Do I think people should work rather than being on the dole? If they can, yes, it is better than sitting at home and/or being rejected by the jobs you apply for. And right now, at 18 with no qualifications, the op is being offered a job which if he doesn’t take, someone else soon will. You are paid what the market will bare, so right now the op is being offered what he is worth in today’s market.

I suspect a lot of people will be applying to those “superior companies” now.

No one should accept the peanuts offered by this lot. It's not acceptable to be paing anyone that measly sum. Companies like this should not be encouraged and anyone trying to convince any young person to work for odios companies like this should have a word with themselves.

Dole, look for better companies. That's the best option for young people.

• Advertisement

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    So will going to work

Will only get the same amount, on the dole he won't have to work for the scummy company.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

No one should accept the peanuts offered by this lot. It's not acceptable to be paing anyone that measly sum. Companies like this should not be encouraged and anyone trying to convince any young person to work for odios companies like this should have a word with themselves.

But they are paying above what the op is entitled to, it might be low pay, at 18 with no qualifications, limited experience and unemployed, I’m struggling to see why you are so ardent that the job should pay more.

Will only get the same amount, on the dole he won't have to work for the scummy company.

And he will develop a great work ethic sitting on his arse,

He is being paid the correct wage for his age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Dealz has a headline price of 1.49 People flock there as they like cheap. Some of it is ok and some of it is sh**e
    If you want companies like that to increase wages, you need the customers to pay more. This is the crux of the issue.

Decide which you want. Cheap or dear. Wages high or low, they are connected.

Dav010 wrote: »
    But they are paying above what the op is entitled to, it might be low pay, at 18 with no qualifications, limited experience and unemployed, I’m struggling to see why you are so ardent that the job should pay more.

Other companies pay more. On to the dole and apply for them jobs. If a company is willing to pay peanuts to its staff, just think how bad they treat them. As I said, life is too short to be wasting it on employers like that.

And he will develop a great work ethic sitting on his arse,

He is being paid the correct wage for his age

Instead of trying to teach work ethics to 18 year olds, maybe try to teach companies how to pay their staff a reasonable wage?

Instead of trying to teach work ethics to 18 year olds, maybe try to teach companies how to pay their staff a reasonable wage?

He is being paid the correct wage, which is reasonable.

Dealz has a headline price of 1.49 People flock there as they like cheap. Some of it is ok and some of it is sh**e
    If you want companies like that to increase wages, you need the customers to pay more. This is the crux of the issue.

Decide which you want. Cheap or dear. Wages high or low, they are connected.

I'm sure they make very little money. Barely surviving. Cheap as sh1t shops are already known for their high moral standing and good practices.

It's not a case of high or low wages. It's about treating and paying people reasonably. Sports direct in the uk are cheap as sh1t, have you seen how they treat their staff and their practices? It's time people stood up against these types of companies and demanded they treat staff etc decently instead of telling them to lump it.

Your attitude is all wrong.

He's been offered a wage way below minimum wage. That's only reasonable for the I'm alright Jack crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

402.72 a month.... you say you cant live on that.... but that for working only 12 hours a week! Which is 1.5 days a week! You could get another job to go along with that.

We would all like to be paid more money. Id like to be paid more money! I dont discuss my wage with my friends. Its none if their business!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,986 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A fair wage for a fair days work, THAT is reasonable, nothing else my friend, nothing else.

He's been offered a wage way below minimum wage. That's only reasonable for the I'm alright Jack crew.

He has been offered the correct wage for his age

Are you his mother or something haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

What is your long term plan? Make sure you get into some training... otherwise youll be stuck on e10 an hour forever!

Also I would advise you to take the job as it improves ypur prospects for the future if you have a job in the firstplace. Much easier to get a better job if you have a job in the first place....

He has been offered the correct wage for his age

Are you his mother or something haha

No, he's been offered way below minimum wage. He should go on the dole. Problem with that? Blame the companies offering way below minimum wage.

Are you a dealz manager? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

I have many friends who started work part time In super markets and shops and worked upwards and got training and had a good attitude and did what overtime was asked of them.
    Many of them continued in retail and worked hard and some now have their own shops ..
    I myself worked an apprenticeship and got paid buttons for years often working 13 or 14 hour days but the hard work stood to me and was never out of work. When times were hard and jobs not very plentiful I stacked shelves in tesco at night and this was in my 30,s eventually I got back on my feet.
    OP what employers want is someone willing to work and have a good attitude.. take the job even if it’s only for a few months and keep your eyes open for other openings and if you want to stay in retail then look to get some training in and do as many courses as you can ... the likes of Aldi and Lidi have great training programs but you have to prove to them you want to work hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

No, he's been offered way below minimum wage.

Err, you’ll find he’s been offered way above minimum wage...

No, he's been offered way below minimum wage. He should go on the dole. Problem with that? Blame the companies offering way below minimum wage.

But would he be entitled to much on the dole of he's still living at home or parents working etc? (genuine question as I've no idea what way irt all works now)

And no I've no affiliation with Dealz, rarely even shop there tbh

Err, you’ll find he’s been offered way above minimum wage...

10.10 per hour. Do the maths.

But would he be entitled to much on the dole of he's still living at home or parents working etc? (genuine question as I've no idea what way irt all works now)

And no I've no affiliation with Dealz, rarely even shop there tbh

No but it'll be a similar amount and instead of working for a company lacking in decency, he can spend the time applying for better companies, possibly planning his education or something more worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

But it's not below minimum wage for the OP.

It's this whole thread just a troll training ground?
    Do you get paid well for trolling? Is there a minimum reward level of Adobe sort?
    I've never understood why anybody would put so much effort into this sort of thing. Much like yourself not understanding why some people would bother getting a job unless it'll cover a mortgage.

And yeh, of this is a real thread, op should have taken the cafe join, which manager was some to offer when he saw how hard op took being let go.
    Song as he turned that down, he should now take what is on offer while looking for a better option.

Advertisement