Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer insisting on paying 18 y/o under min. wage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

callmehal wrote: »
    Instead of trying to teach work ethics to 18 year olds, maybe try to teach companies how to pay their staff a reasonable wage?

They are paying above what the law says they should. Talk to your politicians if youve a problem

• Site Banned Posts: 461 ✭✭callmehal

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    But it's not below minimum wage for the OP.

It's this whole thread just a troll training ground?
    Do you get paid well for trolling? Is there a minimum reward level of Adobe sort?
    I've never understood why anybody would put so much effort into this sort of thing. Much like yourself not understanding why some people would bother getting a job unless it'll cover a mortgage.

And yeh, of this is a real thread, op should have taken the cafe join, which manager was some to offer when he saw how hard op took being let go.
    Song as he turned that down, he should now take what is on offer while looking for a better option.

Shouldn't everyone be calling for our young people to be paid reasonably instead of the opposite? Why look for them to suffer and be a slave to companies who make millions and pay peanuts?

They are paying above what the law says they should. Talk to your politicians if youve a problem

He should go on the dole for a similar amount. Don't like that he can make as much on the dole? Go talk to your politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Deub

I'm sure they make very little money. Barely surviving. Cheap as sh1t shops are already known for their high moral standing and good practices.

It's not a case of high or low wages. It's about treating and paying people reasonably. Sports direct in the uk are cheap as sh1t, have you seen how they treat their staff and their practices? It's time people stood up against these types of companies and demanded they treat staff etc decently instead of telling them to lump it.

Your attitude is all wrong.

Do you realise Sport direct can offer cheap items because their suppliers pay their employees badly (a lot less than 8€/h)?
    You contradict yourself.

You’ll find rates of pay here. https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/pay_inc_min_wage.html

Under 18 €7.07 per hour
    18 €8.08 per hour
    19 €9.09 per hour
    20 upwards €10.10 per hour.

• Advertisement

Deub wrote: »
    Do you realise Sport direct can offer cheap items because their suppliers pay their employees badly (a lot less than 8€/h)?
    You contradict yourself.

What are you on about? What contradiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

He should go on the dole for a similar amount. Don't like that he can make as much on the dole? Go talk to your politicians.

He could and then he must be actively seeking work.

Why would we encourage a young lad to sit on his backside and not develop a work ethic that will shape his life.
    His life will be shaped by whatever decision he makes but let it be for the better instead of thinking the world owes you a living.

He could and then he must be actively seeking work.

Why would we encourage a young lad to sit on his backside and not develop a work ethic that will shape his life.
    His life will be shaped by whatever decision he makes but let it be for the better instead of thinking the world owes you a living.

Read the thread before commenting. Thanks.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

mark2912 wrote: »
    It was important to me because it was a huge weight off my shoulders being able to go to work without the horrible working conditions I had at my job before that one (see thread regarding this https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058024453 )

I will never forget going in to Dunnes a week or 2 before Christmas, looking at the roster and seeing 2 other temporary staff on it for dates after Christmas. Aware of how I felt about this, my manager rang me on NYE to tell me that there was a position available in the Cafe Sol within the Dunnes branch and would I be interested. This involved 8am starts on weekends and paid around €10.60/hour which was nothing near what I was on in Dunnes initially, so I declined the offer

If this attitude is representitve of whats coming up (and it is from the couple of young lads in our place), we're goosed. Sensitive souls, who expect everyone else to do everything yet want to get paid top dollar and when they don't play the mental health card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Guys OP is a young person, in counselling and on medication for work related issues. Would suggest keeping discussion and replies as constructive as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I was shocked to hear they were paying this like 5yrs ago to a 19yo. Still at I see. F'ck em tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Other companies pay more.

The op has said he has applied for jobs and got no response, what makes you think those other companies who pay more will employ the op? Don’t forget that people who were being paid and now find themselves unemployed will now also be applying for those higher paid jobs.

I think you are giving bad advice and believe that the op deserves to be paid more than what is being offered. At 18 and unskilled with no qualifications, the op is limited in what he can expect. Unless he upskills and/or has a good track record in employment which can only be got by working, opportunities are pretty much what is being offered by the likes of Dealz.

What are you on about? What contradiction?

Why do you think Sport Directs are cheap? Do you think it is because their suppliers pay their employees top dollar?

Strumms wrote: »
    A fair wage for a fair days work, THAT is reasonable, nothing else my friend, nothing else.

Ireland has one of the highest minimum wages in the EU, in this case the wage is low relative to the average industrial wage in Ireland, but an 18 yr old with no qualifications and little experience is being paid a reasonable wage for this type of job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

KiKi III wrote: »
    Guys OP is a young person, in counselling and on medication for work related issues. Would suggest keeping discussion and replies as constructive as possible.

I completely agree with you and all supports should be offered.

But the OP didnt refuse work because of his anxiety.... that doesnt seem to be the core issue... core issue seems to be that it doesn't pay enough. With both this job.... and the job in the cafe in dunnes that paid 2e more an hour.....

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Pretty harsh of them not giving min wage. Try Lidl.

Pretty harsh of them not giving min wage. Try Lidl.

They are giving above minimum wage, based on age and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,989 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You’ll find rates of pay here. https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/pay_inc_min_wage.html

Under 18 €7.07 per hour
    18 €8.08 per hour
    19 €9.09 per hour
    20 upwards €10.10 per hour.

Problem I have with this is.. the rate of pay is related to age and not experience.

You could have a 19 year old who has spent 8 hours of every day engaging in some odd online geek fest board game, the chap has zero social skills, scant initiative, limited aptitude for the job but he turns up, usually needing a lot of help and direction... €9.09 is his salary.

The 18 year old, who is always on time, when finished his assigned jobs instead of out the back hanging out of a fag is looking to help folks at the checkout, sweeping the floor and doing what he can in addition to what he has been assigned... totally ridiculous age having a bearing on pay... experience too is going to be very negligible at that age...

You would have to wonder what whatever thick cünt miserable minister who signed that off was fûcking at.. aside from giving employers of young people in particular a little benefit. It’s very unfair.

Problem I have with this is.. the rate of pay is related to age and not experience.

You could have a 19 year old who has spent 8 hours of every day engaging in some odd online geek fest board game, the chap has zero social skills, scant initiative, limited aptitude for the job but he turns up, usually needing a lot of help and direction... €9.09 is his salary.

The 18 year old, who is always on time, when finished his assigned jobs instead of out the back hanging out of a fag is looking to help folks at the checkout, sweeping the floor and doing what he can in addition to what he has been assigned... totally ridiculous age having a bearing on pay... experience too is going to be very negligible at that age...

You would have to wonder what whatever thick cünt minister minister who signed that off was fûcking at.. aside from giving employers of young people in particular a little benefit.

You can’t legislate for only the people with good aptitude and good work ethic, it must apply fairly to all. If you could, it would be easy to dismiss anyone who an employer feels is no good at their job.

We don’t know the op, he could fall into the first group you describe above, or he could be a fantastic worker. If he is good and sticks around, he will move onto the higher minimum wage.

You would have to wonder what whatever thick cünt miserable minister who signed that off was fûcking at.. aside from giving employers of young people in particular a little benefit. It’s very unfair.

Encouraging people to study and get a degree?
    That would make sense.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    You can’t legislate for only the people with good aptitude and good work ethic, it must apply fairly to all. If you could, it would be easy to dismiss anyone who an employer feels is no good at their job.

We don’t know the op, he could fall into the first group you describe above, or he could be a fantastic worker. If he is good and sticks around, he will move onto the higher minimum wage.

Of course you can. Not at the hiring stage but it is fair, legal and indeed common practice to award pay increases partially on performance.

In a previous job i had it was done this way. Again if done genuinely and fairly it’s fine.. where I worked then it was a flat 2% pay increase. Up to a further 3.5% in addition depending on your performance review...the % amount would vary from year to year...it’s fine and fair IF management are scoring the reviews fair based on performance not based on how quiet you are in meetings or personal issues as used to happen in my job.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Other companies pay more. On to the dole and apply for them jobs. If a company is willing to pay peanuts to its staff, just think how bad they treat them. As I said, life is too short to be wasting it on employers like that.

Going on the Dole and waiting for the perfect job to come along is quite frankly ludicrous advice (unless you qualify for a role that is sought after but that isn't applicable here)

Of course you can. Not at the hiring stage but it is fair, legal and indeed common practice to award pay increases partially on performance.

In a previous job i had it was done this way. Again if done genuinely and fairly it’s fine.. where I worked then it was a flat 2% pay increase. Up to a further 3.5% in addition depending on your performance review...the % amount would vary from year to year...it’s fine and fair IF management are scoring the reviews fair based on performance not based on how quiet you are in meetings or personal issues as used to happen in my job.

This is all discretionary, it is not an entitlement the Minister can legislate for to force a company to award a pay increase based on performance. In the ops case Dealz will be forced to increase to the higher minimum wage when the op is older, so the Minister got something right it appears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

10.10 per hour. Do the maths.

Wrong. He’s 18, minimum wage is 8.08 and is being offered 8.39 which is about 4% over minimum. How’s my maths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Counselling and medication at 18 because Dunnes decided to let you go from a temporary Christmas job?

Speechless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Masala

mark2912 wrote: »
    So it appears that while they aren't breaking the law, but it still isn't good enough.

€8.39/hour, min 12 hours/ week contract, paid monthly - do the maths:
    8.39x12= 100.68
    100.68*4= €402.72 per month

How can anybody live on that a month? Most people earn that in a week, never mind a month

Jeez.... I don't know anyone who can 'live' for a month by working only 12 hrs.
    Get a job working 39 hrs at €8.39 and its give you €327.21 a week or €1,308.84 a month - probably all tax free.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Lundstram wrote: »
    Counselling and medication at 18 because Dunnes decided to let you go from a temporary Christmas job?

Speechless.
    And got offered a different role in the same premises

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭JoeFritzl

You see I take issue with this. You're not entitled to minimum wage since you're below 20, but even aside from that; minimum wage was created with people living and supporting themselves in mind. If you're not supporting yourself then you shouldn't expect to be entitled to the full thing, that's entitlement. If you're not happy with the job don't take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

hi mark if your not afraid of hard work you should consider labouring on construction sites , just google construction agencies , with no experience you will be paid 14.14 per hour rising to 17.35 after 1 year , good luck in your future

• Advertisement

JoeFritzl wrote: »
    You see I take issue with this. You're not entitled to minimum wage since you're below 20, but even aside from that; minimum wage was created with people living and supporting themselves in mind. If you're not supporting yourself then you shouldn't expect to be entitled to the full thing, that's entitlement. If you're not happy with the job don't take it.

It was created so that no employer would or could be paying an employee an unfair wage. Which is why I don’t get why citizens over 20 are protected and those younger who are eligible to work are not afforded the same rights, protection and respect.

It’s zero of any employers business or the governments for that matter, on what level I’m supporting myself or otherwise.

If I’m 19, single living in a house share, or at home, starting my working life I should expect the same rights and protection as a 34 year old, 2 kids, mortgage... ie. a minimum wage, the same minimum wage and to be absolutely equal as an adult employee and citizen of this country and visa versa...

Advertisement