Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depressed over new job

Options
  • 20-10-2019 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

You are entitled by law to a 30 minute break. Do other staff get their break?
    I don’t have much sympathy for the 6am getting up, that’s life I’m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Stay with it for the time being, don't let those pricks get to you and don't descent to their bitter level is my advice.

You will have something come up and more than likely your experience at this will stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mark2912

You are entitled by law to a 30 minute break. Do other staff get their break?
    I don’t have much sympathy for the 6am getting up, that’s life I’m afraid.

I'm only given a 15 minute break, and I'm lucky if I get a break some days.
    donvito99 wrote: »
    Stay with it for the time being, don't let those pricks get to you and don't descent to their bitter level is my advice.

You will have something come up and more than likely your experience at this will stand to you.

I hope to be out of the kip by the end of the year, they seem to take advantage of me due to my age and the fact that it's my first job. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Unfortunately, that's just the stage of your working life that you're at right now. Many of us have had to work in that sort of environment. My first job, when I was about your age, was in retail and the managers treated us like children. It won't be forever, but my advice would be to suck it up and get on with it.

No one likes early starts or being spoken to rudely but the world owes nobody a living. We've all worked in jobs we hate, but it won't be forever and you'll appreciate working wherever your next gig is that bit more. Chin up!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

7 - 3? Dream hours for a lot of us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Been hearing it can be tough working in that domain.

Are they rude to you in front of the customers ? In my domain (totally different) - I've also met ppl being rude. Being nice to others that don't expect but appreciate it sometimes helps me forget about rudeness - not sure if that would work for you though.

Another point: is this what you want to do long term, or just that it happened to get this job ? cause depending on how you plan your future, you'd need to mentally find something to cling on (to harden you): for example thinking "one day I might get your job", or "one day I'll get out of here" ...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,867 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You must get tips Shirley ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

mark2912 wrote: »
    I recently started a new job as a waiter in a hotel, and absolutely hate it. I am only ever rostered to just do weekends, a 7am-3pm shift. Supervisors and managers are rude and too demanding.

I am expected, at 17 years of age, to get out of bed at 6am every weekend and work 8 hours non stop. Both my supervisors and one manager in particular are putting me under pressure. I have been shouted at, have had fingers clicked at me, given orders in a rude manner and they are also refusing to change my rostered shifts for future.

I have applied for many jobs in the past and was never successful, so this job is my first ever job. I want to leave ASAP, I continue to apply to other places but haven't heard back from any.

I don't want to leave until I find something new, as money is tight at the moment and I depend on my wages of €165 a week, even though that's not much.

Any advice??? :(

I’d change your attitude before you change your job. You sound like you’re bone idle to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Don't sweat it. You'll find a better job soon. Don't stick around in those conditions too long as it sounds horrible. Life's too short to stick abuse. I'd be depressed too if that's how I was being treated.

Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

you are 17, just leave if you don't like it.

You are practically an adult and while the law states you should get at least 30minutes working those hours, in the real world it doesn't always work this way.

Wait until you are 18 and they can really do what ever they want with you.
    Leave and find a new job.

Them shift hours by the way are probably the best hours you will ever get in your life. Up and out before traffic, home before traffic and still plenty left in the day to do what you want.
    Learn to love them, it only gets worse for hours after that.

edit: not to mention working in a hotel is probably the worst job in the world.(exaggerating abit but its fairly depressing so im not surprised you dont like it) the wages are awful, the pressure is always on which makes people narky and rude, plus you have to put up with arsehole customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,989 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The biggest problem I’d be having would be the break. 15 minutes is ridiculous and indeed illegal.

To be honest for your own wellbeing and sense of self worth I’d be getting out of there, I wouldn’t bother with notice, feedback etc just ring and say as the job isn’t as advertised and the conditions not fair, safe or acceptable that you need to to quit.. don’t encourage conversation just inform them of these facts and say goodbye. If they attempt to discuss... hang up..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

they seem to take advantage of me due to my age and the fact that it's my first job. :(

How have you come to this conclusion given its your first taste of working?

Because out of all the people I work with, they have all had jobs in the past and don't seem to be treated like I am.

I feel like I am being victimised at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,989 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If his manager is shouting and clicking fingers it’s the correct conclusion. If the manager is incapable of treating their employee with respect then all agreements are null and void.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭dontpanic

I recently started a new job as a waiter in a hotel, and absolutely hate it. I am only ever rostered to just do weekends, a 7am-3pm shift. Supervisors and managers are rude and too demanding.

I am expected, at 17 years of age, to get out of bed at 6am every weekend and work 8 hours non stop. Both my supervisors and one manager in particular are putting me under pressure. I have been shouted at, have had fingers clicked at me, given orders in a rude manner and they are also refusing to change my rostered shifts for future.

I have applied for many jobs in the past and was never successful, so this job is my first ever job. I want to leave ASAP, I continue to apply to other places but haven't heard back from any.

I don't want to leave until I find something new, as money is tight at the moment and I depend on my wages of €165 a week, even though that's not much.

Any advice??? :(

I think this is very much the standard in the industry you're in - I would never do it based on all your points above as the hours, management style etc. would make me miserable.

If you really need the money then I would stick around until something better comes up. It is valuable experience on your cv. You could also talk to HR about moving to a different role?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,812 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Because out of all the people I work with, they have all had jobs in the past and don't seem to be treated like I am.

I feel like I am being victimised at work.

They know how to work and how to do various tasks. You know how to do very little and are whining about your shifts despite being hired for those hours.

Learn how to do some stuff, and you'll get the respect you earn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Are you still in school? Sometimes having a sht job like this will motivate you to study harder.

Are you still in school? Sometimes having a sht job like this will motivate you to study harder.

I study a full-time PLC course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I have been in your exact situation. I worked as a waiter in a hotel from the age of 16-19 while in school/college and I can honestly say that it was the worst time of my life. The people who work in hotels full time a different breed. While money may be tight, your mental health is worth much more than €165/week.

My advice would be to stand up for yourself, and call out the staff who are being rude to you. Do it in a polite manner, but let them know that they're acting out of order. In my experience, 95% of the people I worked with were kind, but it only takes 1-2 rude, uneducated twats to make your life miserable. If they persist in treating you badly, escalate the matter to a hr manager. They owe you a duty to ensure that you're not being mistreated. Best of luck! Shoot me a message if you need any more advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I study a full-time PLC course
    I am only ever rostered to just do weekends, a 7am-3pm shift.
    If it's full time, how do you expect to do anything but the weekends?
    they are also refusing to change my rostered shifts for future.
    Change them to what? During the week when you're mean to be at your PLC course?
    Are they paying you minimum wage? Because as it's your first job, and you're 17, they don't have to....

=-=

I worked 8pm-4am Friday & Saturday night whilst in college. I'd have loved your hours, as mine would mess up my sleep routine every weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I might well be wrong, but I thought it was a 15 minute paid break every 4.5hrs worked, OR a 30 minute unpaid break evrt 4.5hrs worked. OPs break could be legal as they would only accrue one period of 4.5hrs worked.

But OP, I fail to see an issue with the "I'm expected to.. At 17!". Yes? And? You want money, you work. Speaking as somebody who started working in hotels at 16 and worked 5 years there, I know the environment.

You can do a good job and help yourself, or you can do a bang average job and get treated as a nuisance employee not worth the 9.65 they are legally obliged to pay you per hour.

Getting up early at the weekends to make money, where's the problem? What do you want? A higher hourly rate, for better hours, in a softer environment? Who doesn't......!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

the_syco wrote: »

guess there is an afternoon shift ?
    - can that be the shift with better tips, and that's why he's not getting it ?

the_syco wrote: »
    If it's full time, how do you expect to do anything but the weekends?

Are they paying you minimum wage? Because as it's your first job, and you're 17, they don't have to....

=-=

I worked 8pm-4am Friday & Saturday night whilst in college. I'd have loved your hours, as mine would mess up my sleep routine every weekend!

Firstly, I only live around the corner, so evening shifts wouldn't be a problem. Even later shifts at the weekend would be alright. I should be able to have a lie on at the weekend.

I get paid €11 an hour with no tax due to credits and USC exemption. I also get a dividend of tips left by customers.

Although pay seems to be reasonable enough, I would have no problem moving to a less-paid job if it meant better shifts and nicer people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Firstly, I only live around the corner, so evening shifts wouldn't be a problem. Even later shifts at the weekend would be alright. I should be able to have a lie on at the weekend.

I get paid €11 an hour with no tax due to credits and USC exemption. I also get a dividend of tips left by customers.

Although pay seems to be reasonable enough, I would have no problem moving to a less-paid job if it meant better shifts and nicer people.

Sorry OP... But... You're losing the room here I'd suspect.

"I should be able to have a lie in at the weekend" hahaha, says who??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I was in a job at 18 & received similar problems.

I just started treating the person the same way they treated me. Made jokes about him,smart comments etc. He couldn't take it & let me go.

I did feel better so worked out in the long run. No point letting people walk all over you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,812 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well pull your finger out of your *** and apply for one!

Seriously OP, you're being a whiney snowflake. Most of your peers would be delighted with an hourly rate like you've got.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You should be able to have a lie in? Seriously, that's one of the funniest things I've ever read in this forum.

It's your first job you are probably doing the easy breakfast duty compared to evening work.

You need to get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

My daughter is in her twenties, with an honours degree, currently doing her Masters and she is working similar hours to you, for less pay.

She studies and lives Monday to Friday two hours from where we live. She gets a bus home on a Friday morning, goes straight onto a reception shift in a hotel and works until midnight. She usually then is up at 7am on a Saturday to do another shift. And on Sundays she either gets an early bus back to where she goes to college or else does another early shift and then goes back to where she goes to college straight after.

She doesn't feel any form of entitlement. She is delighted to be able to pay her own way when doing her Masters. The only time she gets fed up is when other reception staff phone her during the week to ask what to do, rather than asking the duty manager who is on at the time.

At 17, I think you have an unentitled sense of entitlement. You need to grow up and realise this is the REAL world. It doesn't matter where you go, you will need to get up early and deal with people you may not always like. Work is about selling your services for a price. If you don't like the buyer, then perhaps consider selling your services in another industry. Shop work might suit you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Seriously OP you need to grow up a bit. Getting paid 14% over min wage + tips for your first job and your whinging and feeling victimised because you should be entitled to a lie in at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wh ast c ourse are you studying op?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement