Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trashing of our parks and beaches

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

A 16 year old who has had a bag of cans in a field isn't going to be the one bringing them to the recycling centre for the deposit, however you would get people collecting the cans to make a few quid.

Saw this in action in Cologne a couple of years ago. People go down to the river to have a few social beers and there are locals who go around asking can they have your empties to claim the deposit. They might be down on their luck or just looking to make a few quid but the system works, the empties get returned and there is no mess. My favourite was a guy who added a wagon to the back of his bike and cycled up and down the river collecting loads of bottles and a good few euro in the process.

We actually never bothered with returning our bottles to the shop in the end, used to just wait for somebody who was collecting them instead and good luck to them, happier for them to get the 25cent or whatever it was.

I'd be all in favour of the deposit idea, but I cant see it working for packets or pringles or curry chip trays etc, etc.

Scummy people are scummy and need to be fined. A few cameras would put manners on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭downtheroad

A long day of being made to pick up litter for anyone caught littering would be a great lesson but if this was introduced you'd get those lunatics in the Irish Council for Civil Liberties up in arms about such a policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

A long day of being made to pick up litter for anyone caught littering would be a great lesson but if this was introduced you'd get those lunatics in the Irish Council for Civil Liberties up in arms about such a policy.

I like this idea.

One thing I can't understand is when I go to the 2 bottle banks near where I live is the amount of rubbish around them. People go to the effort of bringing their glass to them and then leave lids, bags and boxes scattered round them. WTF?!? Maybe some bins nearby would be useful or maybe people could take that crap away with them.

Also the amount times I go there and they are full. Empty the ****ing things on a daily basis if necessary!

A few people have mentioned the cost of household bins. I have to ask, how much rubbish are people generating? My wife and I would put out the brown bin every 6 to 8 weeks, the green bin every 2 to 4 and the black bin every 3 weeks. Our bin charges are €10 to €20 a month. Definitely not worth driving all over place to dump it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNX_OxmnKqk/?hl=en

Christ almighty. Maybe it is time we were asked to leave !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

next time someone gets community service, take them to a public park or beach and make them pick up litter for the 240 hrs or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Stovepipe wrote: »
    next time someone gets community service, take them to a public park or beach and make them pick up litter for the 240 hrs or whatever.

Unions would be up in arms that you are taking someone's job

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Knowing today's society the poor dear will injure themselves and sue.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNcGYMWHJbS/?hl=en

Absolute scum who do this. Really.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Pay the employee and give them the day off. Or a half day. Job will still be done anyway and no extra cost.

Everybody wins.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Pay the employee and give them the day off. Or a half day. Job will still be done anyway and no extra cost.

Everybody wins.

No offence but that is ridiculous

There is currently noone doing this work but you are taking s potential job

• Advertisement

No offence but that is ridiculous

There is currently noone doing this work but you are taking s potential job

There are no litter collectors on Ireland any more?

There are but they do not do everything. Alot is left to volunteers.

But you knew that

Dublin City council have a few in the city centre but none in the suburbs. Not sure why they can’t hire more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'd be all in favour of the deposit idea, but I cant see it working for packets or pringles or curry chip trays etc, etc.

Scummy people are scummy and need to be fined. A few cameras would put manners on them.

People need to challange/shame them and make it socially unacceptable. This is how in certain countries littering does not happen.

Stovepipe wrote: »

Definitely, also employ those Eastern European security lads you see on the Luas as an army of litter wardens and anyone caught so much as dropping a sweet wrapper gets an automatic 240 hours of doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

There's a lot of used face masks lying around now too.

Maybe councils should install more bins in public places & outsource that bin collection to private companies the same way they did with residential bins. if the bins were emptied regularly maybe people would use them more. That might help with some of the problem.

No excuse for littering though, e.g. couldn't believe the amount of litter all around the nct car park a few weeks ago, there was only one small bin but it wasnt full. Also people could have taken their stuff with them instead of just dropping it on the ground. Never saw that before at any previous visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

There are definitely scrotes littering but the lack of public bins is shocking, along hotspots like the south circular canal way, howth and dun lapighre piers, clontarf strand, there should be a bin every hundred meters but theres few to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

There are definitely scrotes littering but the lack of public bins is shocking, along hotspots like the south circular canal way, howth and dun lapighre piers, clontarf strand, there should be a bin every hundred meters but theres few to be seen

Agreed & usually any litter bins that are provided are overflowing most of the time.

It's the same story with a complete lack of public toilets or even seating. It seems that anything to make outdoor activities in ireland more pleasant for people won't be provided or allowed by the powers that be. Iirc, it took years for councils to allow outside tables & seats in restaurants.

I always wonder why there are no benches or public toilets in parks, in town centres or areas where people visit? Probably because the councils would have to maintain them. same for litter bins I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Its a bit mental that you can often have more bus stops than bins, but that said I dont think having to hold your rubbish for 10 mins is an excuse for anyone to drop it.

The solar compactor bins are very popular and hold far more crap, but they will still overflow on a sunny weekend if not emptied. We just dont have enough people employed to keep on top of this basic council stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

What I mean by reusable cup is a person's own cup, like the stainless flask cups alot use. I have one in my car and one in my work vehicle. Nearly always hot water available in coffee shops or machines to rinse out if using more than once during a day.

I did that when I was still going out and had a car. Makes sense. But if I did use a disposable for any reason it came home with me as they make excellent plant pots for seedlings

• Advertisement

There are but they do not do everything. Alot is left to volunteers.

But you knew that

So why aren't unions trying to stop the volunteers?

It's not only scrotes. I work in a tech company and was talking to one of the gardeners. His first job every morning is to pick up rubbish from the grounds an he averages 30 masks every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,930 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The problem is, most of the pictures you see posted of littering incidents are from people just walking away and leaving the party behind them, they don't even try and dispose of the rubbish or gather it up. Extra bins wont solve this mentality. Snipers at beauty spots, if I'm ever dictator.

So why aren't unions trying to stop the volunteers?

Ok I am not getting into a nonsensical back and forth. If you cannot see the difference then lets just leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

You could put a bin at every corner in the city, and empty it every hour, and there would still be rubbish - because the reason there isn't bins is people come out of their house and put their rubbish in it.
    We have to make this a waste of effort, i.e. a flat charge for bin services.
    Putting more bins is pointless if we don't tackle the other reason the bins are full.
    And if 10-20 cans or coffee cups are thrown in a bin, the bin is full. Hence the deposit return scheme.

On their own, these are useless measures. But combined, they can make an enormous difference in my view.

P.S. If the argument gets to a stage where people returning cans are "taking somebody's job" then I absolutely despair for the mentality in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Lots of bins were removed long before domestic waste charges were introduced. Yes there are selfish people who dump their household rubbish in them, but this is a major cop-out CoCo excuse. Privatise this service as currently not fit for purpose. Way too unionised.

Also the few bins that exist are absolutely filthy. They need regular sanitising and power hosing which they NEVER get.

Finally, there should be a deposit refund on all plastic, glass bottles and cans.

Ok I am not getting into a nonsensical back and forth. If you cannot see the difference then lets just leave it there.

Simple case: you can't take a job away from someone who isn't employed to do it and theres no union to stop a job that doesnt exist being taken away from a person that isn't employed to do it.

Simple case: you can't take a job away from someone who isn't employed to do it and theres no union to stop a job that doesnt exist being taken away from a person that isn't employed to do it.

They'd be in the same category as volunteers.

The problem is, most of the pictures you see posted of littering incidents are from people just walking away and leaving the party behind them, they don't even try and dispose of the rubbish or gather it up. Extra bins wont solve this mentality. Snipers at beauty spots, if I'm ever dictator.

Id partially agree, but I do think a lot of people would put things in a bin if they saw one 20 meters from them, no bin in sight = no reason to even try clean up

• Advertisement

Agreed & usually any litter bins that are provided are overflowing most of the time.

It's the same story with a complete lack of public toilets or even seating. It seems that anything to make outdoor activities in ireland more pleasant for people won't be provided or allowed by the powers that be. Iirc, it took years for councils to allow outside tables & seats in restaurants.

I always wonder why there are no benches or public toilets in parks, in town centres or areas where people visit? Probably because the councils would have to maintain them. same for litter bins I suppose.

You have heroin to thank for a lack of benches and toilets and I doubt we’ll see that change in my lifetime.

Advertisement