Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

See Australia is sealing off the state of Victoria from the rest of the country now. 6.6m people in that state

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

See Australia is sealing off the state of Victoria from the rest of the country now. 6.6m people in that state

Ross Noble had a joke that caused quite a stir about this. It was 'Australia are currently going through a Spice Girls paradigm - Everyone trying really hard but Victoria goes and ruins it for everyone'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I think this will be the tip of the ice berg. Remote working will have thrown up a lot of decisions for corporates in respect to high rents, high labour costs etc. Combine this with the expected changes in the International tax rules and things are not looking so great.

Remote working as an option existed long before this pandemic. Almost every country who outsourced to the cheapest bidder ends up regretting it. Unless it is absolute grunt work with no value, e.g. Amazon where is my order?
    I don't think there is anything to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

The school is involved in it.

Do you not think this is the perfect opportunity for the school to go "Look, lads, work away on the confirmation yourselves if yiz want, but we're a school, and the kids have lost out on enough education without us also doing the indoctrination for ye. Organise something yourselves on your own time."

I think this will be the tip of the ice berg. Remote working will have thrown up a lot of decisions for corporates in respect to high rents, high labour costs etc. Combine this with the expected changes in the International tax rules and things are not looking so great.

But that's going to be worldwide. And it'll be big and small corporations. Banks and financial institutions already had failsafe remote working plans in place and regularly tested - they have to. Tech companies adapted quickly, and most office-based workers in the private and public sectors were a little behind that curve again, but all got there.

Three months later, we've found that the majority of office based workers can work almost as efficiently from home as they can from the office. Moreso, in some cases. Definitely moreso when schools and creches re-open.

WeWork and Regus and the like may find they have big occupancy problems, as companies big and small go "Actually, our workers are happier when they don't have 3 hour commutes every day. Let's cut our office rental in half and let people combine hot desking and working from home." But that'll be the UK, US, EU and elsewhere, not just Ireland.

• Advertisement

Remote working as an option existed long before this pandemic. Almost every country who outsourced to the cheapest bidder ends up regretting it. Unless it is absolute grunt work with no value, e.g. Amazon where is my order?
    I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Remote working is not outsourcing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Remote working is not outsourcing.

Its not, I accept that. My point still stands though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Heard a multinational IT company with it’s European headquarters in Ireland are going to be downsizing & moving a lot of their operations to South Africa..it’s not a big operation but were considered a very secure and safe bet for a long term job...They did need their employees to travel to various locations around the world, wonder did that affect their decision.

Which multinational IT company would this be?

Irish Independent giving more airtime to Prof Gerry Killeen this morning and ‘virus eradication’ plan:

"Countries like Ireland, France, Spain, Italy and the United Kingdom, where daily incidence rates have been slowly falling, may well have achieved 80pc suppression of transmission.
    "Their epidemics could slowly fizzle away if current measures were maintained, so why would these countries not build upon their successes by pushing even just a little further past this crucial tipping point?
    "Faster progress towards elimination would obviously be better and these timelines could be shortened if we were to push ahead now with even more stringent and effective restrictions," he said.

...However he isn’t giving any explanation as to what ‘pushing a little further’ means, at what cost to society, and for how long would eradication here work as we’re a very open economy. It wouldn’t work in France, Spain and Italy where they have land borders with other EU countries and are in Schengen. I’m sure he’s implying we keep the borders closed indefinitely which will not work for businesses long term, plus the north is a loophole that will be overused if restrictions keep up here at airports.
    There’s also the question of the Irish diaspora, many of whom are lonely during this time of crisis and want to visit family...I really think airport screening should be enabled to allow some of this to occur from areas with low Covid.

Heard a multinational IT company with it’s European headquarters in Ireland are going to be downsizing & moving a lot of their operations to South Africa..it’s not a big operation but were considered a very secure and safe bet for a long term job...They did need their employees to travel to various locations around the world, wonder did that affect their decision.

How would that be a factor? Very much a short term issue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Lads Im appealing to all of ye to "behave".

Uncle Martin says if we dont "behave" he will have to reconsider bringing us to disney land and hes not sure if santy can come now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Uncle Martin says if we dont "behave" he will have to reconsider bringing us to disney land and hes not sure if santy can come now.

I was just reading that! Fintan I hope you have been behaving

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/we-are-worried-taoiseach-warns-plan-to-reopen-all-pubs-on-july-20th-may-be-delayed-1.4297327

“As you know the full opening was to take place on July 20th … it could be delayed if they don’t behave. We will get advice from the public health officials but we are worried about it,” he said.

“Some of the scenes that we witnessed are very worrying because social distancing was not being complied with at all during a number of the inspections and the opening hours weren’t being adhered to either.”

Speaking on The Opinion Line on Cork’s 96FM, Mr Martin revealed that gardaí had carried out about 5,500 inspections of pubs and restaurants over the weekend as part of Operation Navigation.

Its good to know on that last point that we dont have any crime in Ireland and can afford to have Gardai walk around pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/we-are-worried-taoiseach-warns-plan-to-reopen-all-pubs-on-july-20th-may-be-delayed-1.4297327

“As you know the full opening was to take place on July 20th … it could be delayed if they don’t behave. We will get advice from the public health officials but we are worried about it,” he said.

Particularly annoying to hear that from him. Talking down to the general public, he's absolutely blessed to even be in office. The idea of anyone from Fianna Fail looking down their nose telling people to behave is incredibly frustrating.

“Some of the scenes that we witnessed are very worrying because social distancing was not being complied with at all during a number of the inspections and the opening hours weren’t being adhered to either.”

Speaking on The Opinion Line on Cork’s 96FM, Mr Martin revealed that gardaí had carried out about 5,500 inspections of pubs and restaurants over the weekend as part of Operation Navigation.

Its good to know on that last point that we dont have any crime in Ireland and can afford to have Gardai walk around pubs.

Don't ye now wish ye still had Leo and a quote from Dark Knight Rises or something similar.

Its actually nice to hear the Taoiseach acknowledge that the economy is screwed. Its a fact that seems to be lost on many people for one reason or another. Costing the state in the region of 25 billion so far. That number should be headline news.

Instead we have people that want the pubs to close again, want flights grounded and want schools to remain closed. People have admitted on these threads that we should keep plenty of restrictions in place until a vaccine arrives. (if it arrives)

I really hope we don't keep borrowing and borrowing to continue paying people not to work. Covid payment needs to end in August. Schools need to reopen in September. Probably a harsh budget in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

if there was ever evidence that the state didn't treat you as a person it's MM's comments. Behave!
    behave yourself you cretin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

How would that be a factor? Very much a short term issue

There is no end in sight to the travel restrictions despite all of our European neighbours and U.K. whom we have an open border with opening up travel.
    This company frequently flew staff to its clients all over the world to deal with onsite issues so I think travel would play a major role. They can just downsize here, and hire more staff abroad where they can travel to and from easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You'd think that the new Administration only had hours to think about all this. Honestly, I am so disappointed with their lack of decision making, but why am I surprised?

I realise they have to forge relationships with the Civil Service Mandarins in their Departments, but honestly they all should be able to hit the ground running this minute after more than three months of knowing what is going on with Covid.

Haven't heard one word from MM at all, yet. Has anyone else?

Disappointment is an understatement btw. We need clear and concise messages, not all this hodge podge of rules/no rules, rules for one cohort but not for another, we don't know, we do know, we will let you know in three weeks time. Honestly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

The Irish must behave but the Yanks and Brits can visit here and infect us. More BS from our leaders.

Christ Almighty, looking at the Covid briefing - this Government are an absolute disaster. Absolutely clueless. Throwing many families thousands under the bus with ZERO decisions taken. Stephen Donnelly just reiterated the Public Health advice and hid behind it, so zero Governing now and unelected officials will call the shots. Election please...

What about the small matter of countless health officials contracting Covid here on a regular basis...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Pathetic lack of governance

Are they too lazy to monitor and update travel advice frequently ??

• Advertisement

Pathetic lack of governance

Are they too lazy to monitor and update travel advice frequently ??

I would say to families who've paid thousands on their holidays to look at the information to hand and go if the destination is safe re Covid cases. The Government don't care if your money is gone as they're allowing Ryanair to still fly. They've effectively made no decisions, sounded absolutely useless, and clearly are not fit for the offices they occupy.

Over on the Spain thread today, at least of 2 thirds of the Cork - Alicante flight today were people over 60... the very cohort we're supposed to stay home and protect. Couple this with allowing US and U.K. citizens in here no bother, with just form filling and friendly phone call they they might choose not to answer. WHAT A JOKE.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Am so disappointed in the new Gov. MM was gagging to be Taoiseach and is silent on the matters that concern all of us now. Quick to respond to parish pumpers though, no surprise there.

I would say to families who've paid thousands on their holidays to look at the information to hand and go if the destination is safe re Covid cases. The Government don't care if your money is gone as they're allowing Ryanair to still fly. They've effectively made no decisions, sounded absolutely useless, and clearly are not fit for the offices they occupy.

Over on the Spain thread today, at least of 2 thirds of the Cork - Alicante flight today were people over 60... the very cohort we're supposed to stay home and protect. Couple this with allowing US and U.K. citizens in here no bother, with just form filling and friendly phone call they they might choose not to answer. WHAT A JOKE.

Wow. the first part is jaw dropping :O :O :O

Great post. Truly reflects whats really going on. and we have some sad individuals walking around Dame Street filming people having pints outdoors..... and then bringing the horror stories about extending pubs 4 month lockdown to the vintners

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Am so disappointed in the new Gov. MM was gagging to be Taoiseach and is silent on the matters that concern all of us now. Quick to respond to parish pumpers though, no surprise there.

Only a month ago he was banging on in the Dail about removing the travel ban etc and has now done absolutely fcuk all about anything in the first week.

They're afraid to make a decision and just hide behind the dept of heath officials

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

No leadership. If they want ppl to holiday at home and be super safe at home... You'd think they would cancel all flights....

Tui made decision to cancel all flights up to 19th July, about 4 weeks ago. Will be interesting to see what they do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Only a month ago he was banging on in the Dail about removing the travel ban etc and has now done absolutely fcuk all about anything in the first week.

They're afraid to make a decision and just hide behind the dept of heath officials

While others are thrilled with the new decisive Government.

There is no end in sight to the travel restrictions despite all of our European neighbours and U.K. whom we have an open border with opening up travel.
    This company frequently flew staff to its clients all over the world to deal with onsite issues so I think travel would play a major role. They can just downsize here, and hire more staff abroad where they can travel to and from easier.

The are significant cost to relocation. A couple of months travel disruption is never going to be a major factor. Couple this with South Africa bring a COVID basket case unlikely to make any green list anywhere, it would be a major risk to move now if ability to travel was a factor in the decision.

MM is ultimately the arch conservative. He is afraid he will get the blame for a resurgence so will be very circumspect in everything he does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I agree on the families caught in the middle.
    Why doesn't the government / EU make it mandatory for the airlines to give people a refund?
    It's a global pandemic you shouldn't be forced to fly. I know they don't usually give refunds but this is an unusual circumstance.
    They are in receipt of huge state subsidies now. The removal of these could be the stick to make them take the carrot?

I mean they have the money they took from people. Not the government.

• Advertisement

I agree on the families caught in the middle.
    Why doesn't the government / EU make it mandatory for the airlines to give people a refund?
    It's a global pandemic you shouldn't be forced to fly. I know they don't usually give refunds but this is an unusual circumstance.
    They are in receipt of huge state subsidies now. The removal of these could be the stick to make them take the carrot?

I mean they have the money they took from people. Not the government.

Unlike Lufthansa Ryanair didnt get any 10bn bailout though?

I appreciate some or most of Ryanair's staff might very well be getting 350 per week but in terms of huge state subsidies, in Ireland anyways its not really huge in comparison to Germany/France where they gave out 10bn to Lufthansa, 10bn to Airfrance AND all their staff got subsidies wages by the govt.

PS I do not propose we do this. Our deficit will skyrocket to 40-50bn then for the year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement