Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

1236237238239240242»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That’s a synecdoche.

Rob will tell you that that in fact is in New York. :)

It’s great us burying the hatchet, but come July 12 the other side are burning the bonfires, and the flags of numerous countries, in particular the Ivory Coast. And many Catholic nations.

Probably the EU flag this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭jm08

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Prior to the Norman conquest of Ireland was ruled by a collection of kings in fractured kingdoms which rather discounts your assertion that it was only British people happy to be ruled by kings.

Irish Kings/Chieftains were selected by a popular vote of tribal leaders*. Its the reason why the sons of kings were sent away to live / grow up among the local people and were not given special privileges as the sons of kings. In other words, they had to work to become King.

(Usually selected from the extended family of the King/Chieftain. For example, in the Irish system, Zara Tindall could be selected the next Queen.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭jm08

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Ok..Lets consider Ireland not conquered by the Normans and not becoming part of Britain.
    The language would be gaelic,There would be no Irish people emigrating to places like Britain, America,Canada and Australia.
    There would probably be no Irish connection with America,people like JFK,Biden and multiple other Irish American Presidents would never have existed.
    Where would a none English speaking Ireland be in a world were the English language plays such a big part? Would`nt you agree the English language has been a definite advantage to Ireland in it`s position in the world?

Thats called a brain drain. Ford would probably be an Irish company with its HQ in Cork, not the US.

Edit and just as important - Richard Neal might be First Minister in Northern Ireland if his grand parents hadn't emigrated to the US in the late 1920s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,045 ✭✭✭✭downcow

It’s great us burying the hatchet, but come July 12 the other side are burning the bonfires, and the flags of numerous countries, in particular the Ivory Coast. And many Catholic nations.

This is so blinkered and prejudiced. Quite sad that anyone can be so wrapped up in sectarianism that they only see the bad in ‘the other side’.
    Bit of a journey to travel yet on this island when we read stuff like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,781 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    This is so blinkered and prejudiced. Quite sad that anyone can be so wrapped up in sectarianism that they only see the bad in ‘the other side’.
    Bit of a journey to travel yet on this island when we read stuff like this.

Journey? Where is the lie in what the poster said?

Come July, Unionists and Loyalists will be burning flags, taunting and, if Loyalism is to be believed, rioting.

That is nothing but the truth.

Come July, Unionists and Loyalists will be burning flags, taunting and, if Loyalism is to be believed, rioting.

Are you sure? It's always been a benign celebration of culture to my mind.

People just don't understand the poor loyalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭eire4

At least they will be able to maybe add the EU flag to their "culture" this year to show some growth:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Doesn't this happen every year though?

Doesn't this happen every year though?

No...not aware that they have burned the EU flag before.
    but come July 12 the other side are burning the bonfires, and the flags of numerous countries, in particular the Ivory Coast. And many Catholic nations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,045 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Oh deary me!
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1226205/

Looks like a UI might need postponed for a few more generations lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

downcow wrote: »
    Oh deary me!
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1226205/

Looks like a UI might need postponed for a few more generations lol

Would be terribly concerning if the impact hadn't already been taken into account in Ireland's economic projections.

Amazing the things you can find out if you bother to read before gleefully tearing the sweets off yourself to anything you perceive as a negative for Ireland.

'We're such an economic black hole that you can't afford us' isn't much of a boast for your allegedly successful state 'celebrating' a centenary of abject failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'm just relieved that DC thought of us and posted. I was beginning to think he'd forgotten all about us. I mean, it's nice to know someone has you in their thoughts!

:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Really irks some in the UK that they are not most favoured nation in Washington.

Going above the head of the Executive to make this appointment shows how sore they are in the Tories about this.

UUP seem to be best in class now too in Westminster.
    Today he is announcing the appointment of a special envoy from Northern Ireland to the United States to drum up inward investment from America and ensure that the US approach to Ireland is not solely shaped by the Irish government, which has huge influence in Washington.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2021/06/06/uk-secretary-of-state-brandon-lewis-champions-liberal-reform-to-save-the-union-and-throws-down-the-gauntlet-to-the-dup/

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    A parody Twitter account, who apparently went to the same school as young Ben (not too many Provos attended that particular school...)

I certainly didn't think it was serious enough to lead to Ben's resignation, though as far as journalists go, while surprised I won't shed too many tears if it turns out to be true. He's brass necked out a lot worse than this though, so I would be VERY surprised.

EDIT: I do see he hasn't Tweeted in two days, which is unusual for him

Who indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Really irks some in the UK that they are not most favoured nation in Washington.

Going above the head of the Executive to make this appointment shows how sore they are in the Tories about this.

UUP seem to be best in class now too in Westminster.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2021/06/06/uk-secretary-of-state-brandon-lewis-champions-liberal-reform-to-save-the-union-and-throws-down-the-gauntlet-to-the-dup/

I’d be far more concerned with what the City of New York, in particular a known street called Wall Street , has to say, rather than what a few politicians in Washington DC grand stand about

I’d be far more concerned with what the City of New York, in particular a known street called Wall Street , has to say, rather than what a few politicians in Washington DC grand stand about

Good for you. Make sure to tell us when you find out.

Great article from Emma DeSouza today in the IT:

Predictable comments below the article of course.

Can any of our resident Partitionists square the "legitimate aspiration" circle for me?

Because it seems that loyalism is allowed free rein to tell us the what's what, and that's despite having a century to make it work in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭jh79

Behind a pay wall, could you cut and paste the relevant bit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

Within 30 years.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement