Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭downcow

No, we aren't downcow, I agree the flag can be flown on it's designated days, but YOU object to bi-lingual signs still.

Wrong again Francie. I love diversity and I long for the day Irish language signs are not controversial and we all truly respect each other’s identity as well as all the new commers identities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

See the sign I posted...weaponised? How does seeing the Irish language hurt anyone?

Just realised the Irish language signage (purple) is in the Republic, then you enter Northern Ireland a few metres on :)

The impression I get is that both sides are still marking out their territory, nowadays with Nationalists putting up road signs in Irish, and presumably with Loyalists not allowing Irish road signage?

Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,928 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Just realised the Irish language signage (purple) is in the Republic, then you enter Northern Ireland a few metres on :)

The impression I get is that both sides are still marking out their territory, nowadays with Nationalists putting up road signs in Irish, and presumably with Loyalists not allowing Irish road signage?

Sad.

???

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

A united Ireland? Yea great, bring it on.

Will ye pay for it? Oh, hang on. What? How much? Can't the Brits pay for this? The EU?

It won't happen for years any how - (meaning - hopefully after I'm dead and gone and won't have to worry about it).

downcow wrote: »
    Wrong again Francie. I love diversity and I long for the day Irish language signs are not controversial and we all truly respect each other’s identity as well as all the new commers identities.

Yeh sure.

I'll remind you that the flag legislation was an effort to force Unionists to respect the unique place they live in, where they are 'equal' to everybody else and no longer superior...a status they adopted unto themselves and caused the issues.

• Advertisement

???

Sad that both sides have to mark out their territory like urban foxes, this my territory, that your territory, but all within the borders of Northern Ireland. I hear it's similar in parts of Glasgow too?

Sad that both sides have to mark out their territory like urban foxes, this my territory, that your territory, but all within the borders of Northern Ireland. I hear it's similar in parts of Glasgow too?

Are you suggesting that the south put that sign there?

There is no mark of territory in a bi-lingual sign. The clue is in 'bi-lingual'

Are you suggesting that the south put that sign there?

There is no mark of territory in a bi-lingual sign. The clue is in 'bi-lingual'

:D:D:D

No, not at all.

What I was suggesting was that the County Council's signage is on this side of the border, then you enter Northern Ireland just a few metres on ... that's the impression I got from your photo.

Maybe the County Council sign is also in NI.

Is it?

:D:D:D

No, not at all.

What I was suggesting was that the County Council's signage is on this side of the border, then you enter Northern Ireland just a few metres on ... that's the impression I got from your photo.

Is it?

I dont know the geography of that particular spot.
    These signs are all over the north (oppressing the poor belligerent unionists...nobody else minds)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭mehico

Is it?

It is a Fermanagh and Omagh District Council sign and would be unlikely that it would have placed inside another local authority area.

Fermanagh and Omagh District Council use the same bilingual branding on their website which is not uncommon for NI local authorities.

https://www.fermanaghomagh.com

• Advertisement

mehico wrote: »
    It is a Fermanagh and Omagh District Council sign and would be unlikely that it would have placed inside another local authority area.

Fermanagh and Omagh District Council use the same bilingual branding on their website which is not uncommon for NI local authorities.

https://www.fermanaghomagh.com

I had a look on Google Maps at the sign I posted, Google hasn't photographed the road since 2011 but you can easily find the site and it is well inside the north.

Happy birthday to the Republic of Ireland. 100 years old today.
    Here’s to many more years as a 26 county republic

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Thanks dc. Freestate and such, but appreciate the sentiment. We are hoping for many more of them too, and that the threat of NI joining recedes in the coming years, and can thrive in itself without hitching itself to the Republic.

What would you say is the interest in an independent state of Northern Ireland ? Compromise from both sides, and a sensible solution from the point of view of those in the middle. No reunification. No UK. But a truly independent, self governing, state ? It would be a great relief to both the UK and RoI is the matter could be settled once and for all like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

About 25 years I'd say. Then it will be a 32 country Republic.

ulster wrote: »
    About 25 years I'd say. Then it will be a 32 country Republic.

25 years .....

In 25 years time many of us may not be around anymore, the Tricolour will be decomissioned, the National anthem too. A new 'all inclusive' island might appear, with a new identity, a new flag, a new anthem, a new outlook ...

Wonder will it ever happen though?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

25 years .....

In 25 years time many of us may not be around anymore, the Tricolour will be decomissioned, the National anthem too. A new 'all inclusive' island might appear, with a new identity, a new flag, a new anthem, a new outlook ...

Wonder will it ever happen though?

If that were to happen,it would only be a gesture of good faith but the new flag would not be flown by the public in the south and the anthem would not be played.The new flag and anthem would be forgotten quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Not much of a gesture of good faith then really?

If flags and anthems are 'decommissioned' solely to appease belligerence then that will fail.

Flags and anthems should be discussed on a reasoned basis. If there are better options that all can get behind then by all means change them.
    I was never a fan of the anthem so would welcome a new one. As yet, I have seen no better idea for the flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

I would assume that the irish government at the time would do it in good faith but the reality is it would never be taken seriously by the public..just like the oath of allegiance doomed to fail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The Republic of Ireland is only 72 years old.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

I have updated the OP of this thread with a list of threadbanned users, I would advise posters to check on this before posting in the thread again or a forum sanction will be imposed for breaching same.

If you want to discuss your threadban feel free to PM the banning mod (or myself if you can't remember who that is and I'll point you in the right direction).

Folks, I need to take my leave from this thread. If the above post is inappropriate on a thread called ‘how long until Irish unification?’, (the irony, given the title of the thread) then I can’t see how I can participate. And all on the historic day that marks 100years of the border.
    Can I thank those of you on both sides of the debate who have been quick to pm me your support following bans.
    I enjoyed the discussion and genuinely learnt from both sides.
    I appreciate the diversity of opinion from south of the border which will certainly ensure a healthy, honest, input to the debate continues. And of course you will continue to have the nationalist input from north of the border.
    I had reached the point that I read over my posts before posting to double check and remove anything that could be perceived as offensive, and felt I was participating with honesty and integrity; In contrast I read some very nasty stuff directed at my community (by a very small number of posters).
    I also appreciate it is not easy managing a thread like this and recognise that a group of Northern unionists would find it no easier.
    Keep up the chat. Jaw jaw rather than war war.
    I’ll not check in on yous as I may find myself unable to resist responding lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,241 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am not sure this is the relevant place to put it. (Mods can advise me if it is not)

But this saddened me a bit.

https://www.gaa.ie/news/spectators-t...-this-weekend/

Not the fact that fans are back at GAA games that is good thing. A great thing in fact.

But the fact that the GAA main website blatantly flaunted the 'Six Counties' terminology a supposed apolitical organisation. I realise RnaG do it as well as it jars there too. Really stands out.

Isn't it about time that there was more grown up/progressive attitude and the proper name was used the 'state of NI' or something similar.

In my view it does not bode well for a UI if there STILL is playing with words in a Modern 21st Ireland.

Does it send out the proper progressive message to those in NI who the ROI wishes to claim?

I understand all the partionist arguments etc from certain cohort. But isn't the very fact that the GAA are accepting different rules in one jurisdiction while accepting other rules in another jurisdiction re-covid19 partitionist in itself?

It is almost as if the 'six counties' terminology is a form delusion. Does it really send out the right message/optics towards the goal of a UI? Is it just me or is this article a summation of the ultimate hypocrisy in relation to those who desire to see a UI.

It is the use of such terminology and playing with words, and ignoring reality - which is accepted that there is two jurisdictions as seen the GAA accepting the NI governments Covid rules when it is to their advantage. But God forbid the two states the ROI and NI are actually given their proper name.

In my mind I have added another 15-20 years to my original guess because of this sort of messing. It is small demonstration of how far some people have to travel yet on both sides of the border.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Isn't it about time that there was more grown up/progressive attitude

Being grown-up would be not letting it bother you too much, agreeing to disagree and all that stuff. I'm not overly bothered by the Ulster Unionist Party appropriating the province 'Ulster' in its title.

I don't get too stressed when partitionists believe they can appropriate the Irish Tricolour, the constitution, the Irish anthem, the Proclamation, and all the other stuff.

ppropriating the province 'Ulster' in its title.

I don't get too stressed when partitionists believe they can appropriate the Irish Tricolour, the constitution, the Irish anthem, the Proclamation, and all the other stuff.

Is it not the other way around? Those who want a UI appropriate the tricolour (see the GE in 2020), politicise the Irish language but the majority don't really intend to use it as language of communication and so on.

Never using the terms Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland when referring to either jurisdiction.

And pretend that partition never happened akin to a bald man with a wig?

And as comedian Mickey Flanagan said everyone else is expected to 'collude in the illusion'. It's daft.

The example I gave of the GAA using the term 'Six Counties' while simultaneously taking advantage of different laws from the jurisdiction of NI take a special type of cognitive dissonance.

Is it not the other way around? Those who want a UI appropriate the tricolour

The Irish Tricolour (and all the other stuff) predates partition of our country and was designed in respect of all of Ireland being governed by the people of Ireland, free from UK jurisdiction, so can't be claimed by partitionists as theirs.

The Irish Tricolour (and all the other stuff) predates partition of our country and was designed in respect of all of Ireland being governed by the people of Ireland, free from UK jurisdiction, so can't be claimed by partitionists as theirs.

Ah you would think that.

However....

If you were asked to say the colours of the Tricolour would you say -

a) Green, White, and Orange ?

or

b) Green, White and Gold?

Honestly? And what would your reasoning be?

Or would you refuse to say 'Gold' as a substitution of the word 'Orange'?

--

I assume a 'clued in' person like yourself knows article 7 or the Irish constitution.

Also whether you like it or not two states have been created using terms like 'partitionists' will not change the reality of the situation. It has already been done for over 100 years now! And agreed in the GFA by the majority of the Island of Ireland - and removed articles 2 and 3. You need to really move with the times a small bit.

Orange. It's green white and orange. Orange is supposed to signify the unionist tradition even though I'd imagine fewer-and-fewer unionists would be comfortable with being associated with Orangeism.

Articles 2 and 3 were not removed, they were changed to accommodate the GFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

As a Donegal protestant, I really hope unification does not happen for a good while at least.

I think people underestimate how strongly unionists feel tied to being British. No amount of appeasement will change that. If unification was called in 5/10 years, there absolutely would be a civil war.

To avoid this, there would have to mandatory Integrated schooling or something similar for a few decades.

• Advertisement

John Doe1 wrote: »
    there absolutely would be a civil war.

Complete nonsense.

Unionist minority in Derry, Unionist minority in Belfast, Unionist minority in four of the six counties. There would be no viable micro-state, bantustans, or whatever else you care to call it, for unionist killers to carve out.

Advertisement