Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭droidman123

RobMc59 wrote: »
    When you refer to occupation,when do you consider that to have happened?I ask as the only reference i can find regarding any occupation of Ireland was in the 12th century.

So the british were not here after the 12th century? They are not here still?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

When you refer to occupation,when do you consider that to have happened?I ask as the only reference i can find regarding any occupation of Ireland was in the 12th century.
    The moment people who didn't identify themselves as "Irish" arrived in Ireland - when was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭eire4

Correct,it should be the north east really.donegal is in the north of my country,but its not in the occupied counties

Very true Donegal is the most northerly county in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

No disrespect to either if you but I asked the question when the occupation of Ireland began(which is a reasonable thing to ask imo)and two subsequent posts answer with questions.

No disrespect to either if you but I asked the question when the occupation of Ireland began(which is a reasonable thing to ask imo)and two subsequent posts answer with questions.

You said the only reference you could find of the occupation of ireland was in the 12th century,i simply asked you is the occupation still on going?

• Advertisement

You said the only reference you could find of the occupation of ireland was in the 12th century,i simply asked you is the occupation still on going?

The Normans conquered Britain in the 11th century and Ireland in the 12th. British people don't consider their country occupied as a result of this,why do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The Normans conquered Britain in the 11th century and Ireland in the 12th. British people don't consider their country occupied as a result of this,why do you?

British people are happy being ruled by monarchy and elites. That is evident for a number of centuries now. Here there were persistent and regular attempts to remove/expel the monarchs and elite until we finally succeeded in a part of the island.

Britons are the Celtic people who were in what is England today until the Angles and the Saxons invaded and pushed them out of what is today England largely. So I would say the Britons for sure considered their country conquered/occupied.

eire4 wrote: »
    Britons are the Celtic people who were in what is England today until the Angles and the Saxons invaded and pushed them out of what is today England largely. So I would say the Britons for sure considered their country conquered/occupied.

As a British person I don't know anyone who considers Britain an occupied country and returning to Saxon Britain or anything else would be bizarre imo.
    Are you saying you wish Ireland had never been part of Britain,with none of the influences ,language etc which has helped Ireland in the modern world?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

As a British person I don't know anyone who considers Britain an occupied country and returning to Saxon Britain or anything else would be bizarre imo.
    Are you saying you wish Ireland had never been part of Britain,with none of the influences ,language etc which has helped Ireland in the modern world?

Yes, if we could rewrite history Britain would have never exploited us.

• Advertisement

That statement smacks of the british empirical mentality that all the countries they stole,raped of resources,and butchered that it was for their own good,the natives need to be educated,unbelieveable

The Saxons invaded and took over the land now called England from the Britons. There was no Saxon Britain.

Absolutely I without doubt wish that Ireland had never been invaded and colonized by the English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I'll take ridiculous Imperialistic justification for the raping and pillaging of half the globe for $500 please, Alex.

The lesser people who lived there before were of course enlightened by your glorious influence, and the pre-existing language, culture, laws and people are nothing compared to being allowed to bask in the glory of our majestic overlords and betters.

Christ almighty

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I'll take ridiculous Imperialistic justification for the raping and pillaging of half the globe for $500 please, Alex.

The lesser people who lived there before were of course enlightened by your glorious influence, and the pre-existing language, culture, laws and people are nothing compared to being allowed to bask in the glory of our majestic overlords and betters.

Christ almighty

Rob was saying earlier that he wished irish history was taught in british schools,i think it would be better for them if british history was taught in their schools

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

'What we did to you was good for you'. We're probably a couple of hundred years behind where we should be because of British degeneracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

It's ironic that hardline Loyalists are terrified of ending up in a country that speaks English, has a capital city full of British neo-classical and Georgian aesthetics, has a Common Travel Area with the entire British isles and is full of tea drinkers obsessed with Coronation Street and Premiership Football. :pac:

dd973 wrote: »
    It's ironic that hardline Loyalists are terrified of ending up in a country that speaks English, has a capital city full of British neo-classical and Georgian aesthetics, has a Common Travel Area with the entire British isles and is full of tea drinkers obsessed with Coronation Street and Premiership Football. :pac:

British isles??

That statement smacks of the british empirical mentality that all the countries they stole,raped of resources,and butchered that it was for their own good,the natives need to be educated,unbelieveable

Nail on the proverbial head. Text book example of a colonial racist mentality disguised behind gaslighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,112 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I asked downcow that earlier,still waiting for a reply

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t claim the gaa is an inclusive non-sectarian organisation and then support it using a nickname for the country that is exclusively used by Catholics.
    That’s what you call a ‘chill factor’ to the ‘other’ community.
    But I couldn’t care less what you call ni. In fact tbh I like the gaa calling it the ‘six counties’ because it demonstrates to any unionists who may think the gaa is trying to be inclusive, that they are badly mistaken. So get on with it. Have a six counties competition if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,112 ✭✭✭✭downcow

dd973 wrote: »

Did you ever ask yourself why.
    Remember when you point your finger at someone, there are three pointing back at you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

downcow wrote: »
    You can’t have it both ways. You can’t claim the gaa is an inclusive non-sectarian organisation and then support it using a nickname for the country that is exclusively used by Catholics.
    But I couldn’t care less what you call ni. In fact tbh I like the gaa calling it the ‘six counties’ because it demonstrates to any unionists who may think the gaa is trying to be inclusive, that they are badly mistaken. So get on with it. Have a six counties competition if you wish.

Are you genuinely feigning offense at Six Counties, Downcow? You don't (incorrectly) refer to Ulster? You don't talk about OWC? You've never referred to this end of the country as anything but Ireland?!

They actually have a 9 counties competition,its called the ulster championship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Remember when you point your finger at someone, there are three pointing back at you
    Sounds like there is an awful lot of inbreeding involved...

Ireland was part of Britain,not a colony.

So that justifies it all,your mindset is beyond belief

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Ireland was never part of Britain.

Ireland was never part of Britain.

The mindset of many english people is that britain went around the world as some sort of charity organisation,educating them,making them speak english,taming the natives,making them do everything the british way because british was always best.its incredible that they are not educated enough to know the real truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The failings and limitations of the British education system in a sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Not really mate, provincial Irish people don't cross my mind that much, only really orientate towards Dublin and the SW where I'm from.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The GAA is supposed to be apolitical
    https://www.gaa.ie/news/the-gaa-does-not-comment-elections-referenda/

My point is if supposed apolitical organisations such as the GAA try to dilute the NI state / jurisdiction as it is - what hope a UI working? When you think of all those with political views as it is who will no doubt fan flames no matter which way a vote on a UI goes? Ireland clearly is not ready to make a UI work imo.
    You've never heard of ye olde Rule 21 ?

The clue to the GAA is in the name , first word is Gaelic. It ain't Ulster Scots.

The GAA has always worked on a county basis. And it's mostly by parish. And they ain't Free Presbyterian parishes.

The GAA predates partition do there's that too.

I wonder will the BBC and the rest of the UK covering the Olympics refer to Team GB or Team UK ??

Advertisement