Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'd tend to agree with Brian Rowan's take that the next time Stormont falls it closes for good. Rowan also says that if Stormont closes we'll likely be in a post GFA phase and looking at an Irish solution to the British Question.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,265 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

So Foster is seen as too liberal from within the DUP..Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'd tend to agree with Brian Rowan's take that the next time Stormont falls it closes for good. Rowan also says that if Stormont closes we'll likely be in a post GFA phase and looking at an Irish solution to the British Question.

Any link to that Tom?

Strategically, it is like something the Unionists would allow happen out of stubbornness and inability to avoid flying into the flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Any link to that Tom?

https://youtu.be/moqPgdKzjBI?t=717

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

• Advertisement

jh79 wrote: »

Incredible results with no concrete proposal or plan on the table.

Incredible results with no concrete proposal or plan on the table.

Dunno about that. Any concrete proposal will just confirm the high cost and drive voters away.

The Germans are still paying up to 5% in tax 30 years on.

The results for NI are lower again i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,102 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Dunno about that. Any concrete proposal will just confirm the high cost and drive voters away.

44% in the north for a border poll 39% against and a 66% majority for a border poll in the south, tells me the train is approaching fast and we'll see a proposal taking shape soon.

Couched as an investment I think those numbers will change too.

44% in the north for a border poll 39% against and a 66% majority for a border poll in the south, tells me the train is approaching fast and we'll see a proposal taking shape soon.

Only 35% in favour in the North. On a downward trend. Not even close to likely to pass.

• Advertisement

Only 35% in favour in the North. On a downward trend. Not even close to likely to pass.

There is no proposal or plan in place.

There is no proposal or plan in place.

Any proposal will have the opposite effect in each country. To convince the North, Ireland will have to pay and to convince the South NI will take the hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭droidman123

You cannot really compare german reunification with irish reunification.theres a third party involved in ireland,namely britain.when the six occupied counties of my country are finally reunited with the rest of ireland i would expect britain to be footing some of the bill,as they were the agitators of partition.call it compensation or whatever,but when the day comes it will be time for them to pay the piper.there are still too many details,financial and many other things to be ironed out before people have full details of what they would be voting for.

I am borderline thinking we should have a border poll to put this to bed for a while but I will 100% vote against a UI. So numbers wanting a border poll are completely irrelevant. They have no bearing on either the reason sos having a poll or the result.
    Just interesting that you cling unto an irrelevance. Mustn’t be much in it for you

You cannot really compare german reunification with irish reunification.theres a third party involved in ireland,namely britain.when the six occupied counties of my country are finally reunited with the rest of ireland i would expect britain to be footing some of the bill,as they were the agitators of partition.call it compensation or whatever,but when the day comes it will be time for them to pay the piper.there are still too many details,financial and many other things to be ironed out before people have full details of what they would be voting for.

Did the countries that carved up Germany (even more recently) queue up to help pay?

downcow wrote: »
    I am borderline thinking we should have a border poll to put this to bed for a while but I will 100% vote against a UI. So numbers wanting a border poll are completely irrelevant. They have no bearing on either the reason sos having a poll or the result.
    Just interesting that you cling unto an irrelevance. Mustn’t be much in it for you

There won't be a border poll because it is irrelevant to you??? :)

The numbers wanting a poll will spur on the formation of a plan or proposal. It would be criminal for our government not to heed those figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭droidman123

Did the countries that carved up Germany (even more recently) queue up to help pay?

Hypotethical question,if there was a border poll and it passed for a ui, in your opinion would britain be liable to foot some of the.costs?

There won't be a border poll because it is irrelevant to you??? :)

The numbers wanting a poll will spur on the formation of a plan or proposal. It would be criminal for our government not to heed those figures.

I didn’t say a border poll was irrelevant. I said the numbers wanting it are irrelevant. The reasons for a border poll are crystal clear and they have nothing to do with the numbers wanting it. But sure you cling on to that of plot helps you

The Hubner paper promoted by SF uses German unification as its basis.

Hypotethical question,if there was a border poll and it passed for a ui, in your opinion would britain be liable to foot some of the.costs?

No.
    U.K. has committed £billions annually. It would be Roi tax payers turn and of course ourselves

• Advertisement

I didn’t say a border poll was irrelevant. I said the numbers wanting it are irrelevant. The reasons for a border poll are crystal clear and they have nothing to do with the numbers wanting it. But sure you cling on to that of plot helps you

The SoS can call a poll for any reason he/she wants. Your courts decided that.

The Hubner paper promoted by SF uses German unification as its basis.

The 'relevant' parts of it.

The 'relevant' parts of it.

The cost is very relevant given the polls

The cost is very relevant given the polls

Undeniable. The benefits and how the cost will be met is also relevant. See the Scottish referendum, once it's White Paper was published the numbers changed dramatically.

Question is for Dublin and the SoS, how long can they go on not putting this question to the test before they are blatantly breaking the spirit of the GFA.
    On those figures...not much longer in my opinion.

Undeniable. The benefits and how the cost will be met is also relevant. See the Scottish referendum, once it's White Paper was published the numbers changed dramatically.

Question is for Dublin and the SoS, how long can they go on not putting this question to the test before they are blatantly breaking the spirit of the GFA.
    On those figures...not much longer in my opinion.

The GFA says if likely to pass so not having one is adhering to the GFA.

The GFA says if likely to pass so not having one is adhering to the GFA.

The SoS, according to British courts, can decide on the outcome of two flies racing up a window, if he/she wants. And is answerable to no-one in that he/she does not have to provide evidence for why they made the decision.

He/she could think as I do, that a firm proposal is likely to get it over the line.

The SoS, according to British courts, can decide on the outcome of two flies racing up a window, if he/she wants. And is answerable to no-one in that he/she does not have to provide evidence for why they made the decision.

He/she could think as I do, that a firm proposal is likely to get it over the line.

Point is by not having one he is faithful to the terms of the GFA as there is no evidence it is likely to pass.

Point is by not having one he is faithful to the terms of the GFA as there is no evidence it is likely to pass.

Of course, undeniable.

But the figures wanting this put to the test won't be ignored. It would be criminal to do that in light of Brexit.

• Advertisement

Of course, undeniable.

But the figures wanting this put to the test won't be ignored. It would be criminal to do that in light of Brexit.

But how vocal will people be given they don't actually want a change?

Advertisement