Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

if you shrink our sun to the size of a hydrogen atom including its electron
    the nearest star would be 3 mm away
    the milky way galaxy would be as along a football field
    the visible universe would be the size of the earth plus a third more
    the actual universe estimated would be about the size of Uranus

so think of our sun being the same as a hydrogen atom on uranus
    the chances of the sun, and this planet and us being found by anyone is 0
    so if aliens ARE here - they must have put us here .

Strong chance that's true but not necessarily.

We can see stars with planets in the goldilocks zone which would significantly lower the range of places we'd need to examine in the search for life.

Imagine what a civilisation far more advanced than us could find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Even simply humans have shown some capability in looking beyond our solar system:
    Since July 2015, SETI has scanned the (one of many to get/be scanned) exoplanet Kepler-452b. Over 2 billion frequency bands so far, but with no (published) result as of yet. The telescopes will continue to scan over a total of 9 billion channels, searching for alien radio signals. Let's just hope they don't pickup TodayFM on any of these transmissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Butson wrote: »
    I think its either humans from the future, or parrallell universe that sometimes overlaps with our own.

If you read the Skinwalker Ranch book by George Knapp, a regular event that would happen with the couple that lived there was basically seeing a hole in the sky appear to open up. They would see a UFO / Orb fly in an out of this but also loads of UFOs whizzing around within this hole - literally looking into another world.

As humans, our perception of reality might be only a small component of overall reality.

Skinwalker ranch, a lot of the people involved in the reporting of that “phenomenon” are involved in the To The Stars Academy and one prominent person with the recent disclosure. Some of them link UFOs and poltergeist activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,750 ✭✭✭cgcsb

if you shrink our sun to the size of a hydrogen atom including its electron
    the nearest star would be 3 mm away
    the milky way galaxy would be as along a football field
    the visible universe would be the size of the earth plus a third more
    the actual universe estimated would be about the size of Uranus

so think of our sun being the same as a hydrogen atom on uranus
    the chances of the sun, and this planet and us being found by anyone is 0
    so if aliens ARE here - they must have put us here

Last part doesn't compute, the more advanced a species is, the more it understands it's environment. A species substantially more advanced than humanity would surely have a greater understanding of smaller details and have a far larger observable universe.

Is there a sceptic theory to explain the wow signal yet? has anyone heard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

cgcsb wrote: »
    Is there a sceptic theory to explain the wow signal yet? has anyone heard?

Here’s one.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/phys.org/news/2017-06-wow-mystery-space.amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think with the maths of things, 100 billion stars in our own bog ordinary galaxy and perhaps another other trillion galaxies in the known universe, its correct to say we absolutely are not the only sentient life in the game.

However, unless our counterparts have managed to defy physics, at least insofar as we understand it currently, i.e. nothing can travel faster than light and that for an object to reach light speed it would have to gain infinite mass, I don't see the logic for interstellar visitors visiting earth.

I would love it to be true though. I'd love the idea that humans could learn or acquire knowledge to escape our own scientific boundaries and expand our presence in the galaxy. Considering though, our present fastest ever craft, the Helios probe, can do 250,000 kph and would still take 17,000 years to reach our nearest neighbouring star, even the youngest of us won't see much of a breakthrough in our lifetimes.

Ipso wrote: »

The power of the signal was believed to only possibly have originated from artificial source though, so 2 commets with a hydrogen cloud passing eachother isn't much of an explanation.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I think with the maths of things, 100 billion stars in our own bog ordinary galaxy and perhaps another other trillion galaxies in the known universe, its correct to say we absolutely are not the only sentient life in the game.

However, unless our counterparts have managed to defy physics, at least insofar as we understand it currently, i.e. nothing can travel faster than light and that for an object to reach light speed it would have to gain infinite mass, I don't see the logic for interstellar visitors visiting earth.

I would love it to be true though. I'd love the idea that humans could learn or acquire knowledge to escape our own scientific boundaries and expand our presence in the galaxy. Considering though, our present fastest ever craft, the Helios probe, can do 250,000 kph and would still take 17,000 years to reach our nearest neighbouring star, even the youngest of us won't see much of a breakthrough in our lifetimes.

Expand our presence in the galaxy...until we can learn to treat our own home properly we shouldn't be allowed to spread anywhere.

Larbre34 wrote: »

There are theoretical propulsion systems that could accelerate a vehicle to 5% light speed with existing technology, making it feasible for a robotic mission to an interstellar target location possible within a human lifetime. having pictures inside the next nearest solar system would be a huge asset never mind the data that would be collected on the journey. It just isn't economically or politically advantageous to do so at this time

I do think our current economic and political systems are reaching the end of their usefulness with this generation. The young people of the western world are basically homeless, resources and capital are increasingly monopolised by a smaller and smaller number of people and innovation is decreasing as a result. The damage caused to the environment by the current set up has also reached a tipping point. Humanity needs a serious course correction.

• Advertisement

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Expand our presence in the galaxy...until we can learn to treat our own home properly we shouldn't be allowed to spread anywhere.

Maybe expanding our presence in the galaxy will provide us with new information and resources that can help us treat our home properly. When Europe colonised the rest of the world, there is no doubt the wealth brought back in new stuff, gold, spices etc. made Europe wealthy enough to build sanitation and anvance scientifically. The mere act of exploration resulted in massive advances in map making, propulsion systems, navigation etc.

Obviously not great for the natives but there are many celestial bodies that have no natives and from which we can learn and extract a great deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That isn't even an argument in the same universe, pardon the pun.

The long term future of our planet is contingent on the slow expansion of our Sun in the final eons of its life and the atmosphere burning off leaving only a dusty rock in space, before it too is consumed by the Sun.

In terms of human survival and an eventual permanent presence in space, how we treat our own environment in these couple of centuries doesn't really matter in the slightest. Not in terms of a planet that warms and cools very dramatically over hundreds of thousands of years due to factors far greater than any human presence.

We are literally a virus that spreads eating up everything in its path while destroying the host, in this case, the Earth.
    What do you all think would happen if we just moved off this planet?
    Look at all the natural resources we are exhausting not to mention species we cause to become extinct.

Until we learn to coexist with everything in our current environment we shouldn't be allowed to spread to another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭bmc58

Have you every seen an unidentified flying object?

A UFO of course is just an aerial phenomenon that you can't explain (hence unidentified), & probably not at all connected to little green men from Mars.

So what are UFOs and have you ever seen something in the sky that you couldn't explain?

In the past many people have mistaken aircraft, weather balloons, silver party balloons, and even bright planets in the night sky as UFOs, but of course under scrutiny they usually have a rational & logical explanation. More recently drones have been mistaken as UFOs.

Then in the last month we've had video clips released from the Pentagon actually showing real UFOs filmed darting around at amazing speeds & doing manouvers that would be impossible for any manned craft to do. The G forces would be so powerful as to kill any human occupants, so what was witnessed by the US Navy pilots and the aircraft carrier radar?

Are UFOs terrestrial or extraterrestrial craft?

Illusions or really there, imagination or reality?

What are UFOs !

Never saw a UFO.But I saw what I thought was a ghost once(scared the sh#t out of me when I was Trout fishing late one summer night. Got out of there fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Just sitting in the back garden looking up at the sky and I can't imaging what it's like to actually see something real yet extraordinary in the sky. Strange lights at night could be many things, but to actually see a large silent craft with warp speed capabilities must be something else ......

Must be very weird to see a giant saucer shaped object, knowing that it's not man made!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Just sitting in the back garden looking up at the sky and I can't imaging what it's like to actually see something real yet extraordinary in the sky. Strange lights at night could be many things, but to actually see a large silent craft with warp speed capabilities must be something else ......

Must be very weird to see a giant saucer shaped object, knowing that it's not man made!

Stay out there for a bit longer and you should be able to see the International Space Station whizz by.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 trisha e

One Winter's night in 1985 at kilmoon cross in meath my husband and I saw a large glowing orange object about the size of a car hovering in the sky. There was a garda car in front of us and they went up the road to investigate.we carried on as we had our baby in the car and were anxious to get home. My husband is also very much a " doubting thomas" however he still mentions it to this day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Always found the implants interesting along with the Cattle Mutilations. Scavengers do not take flesh off bone with surgical precision.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_implants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Looks like there is about x15 reports per day on average, submitted to a single (en-lang/western) of not terrible well-known website (mufon).

Maps available, but require plenty of zooming in, before classification details appear:
    http://www.ufostalker.com/

One for Ireland today too by coincidence! #110475:
    https://mufoncms.com/cgi-bin/report_handler.pl?req=latest_reports
    A quick guess might be drone attempting to fly in 'food' to jailbirds, as locaiton was in Portlaoise.

// Edit: Just looked at linked video, a flashing triangle, or two, or more:
    https://www.mufoncms.com/files_jeud8334j/110475_submitter_file1__trim.8AACEBF0A13043ABAA7AE3A79A2AECA3.MOV

Once they start pizza/Amazon drone deliveries, and musk get's his 20,000 starlink sats, sure it will only add to the noise or confusion.

We are literally a virus that spreads eating up everything in its path while destroying the host, in this case, the Earth.
    What do you all think would happen if we just moved off this planet?
    Look at all the natural resources we are exhausting not to mention species we cause to become extinct.

Until we learn to coexist with everything in our current environment we shouldn't be allowed to spread to another one.

That makes zero sense. What beefit to the earth is it if we remain 100% stuck here multiplying? Surely having some of the population living on off world colonies and extracting resources from asteroids is better for the plannet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Looks like there is about x15 reports per day on average, submitted to a single (en-lang/western) of not terrible well-known website (mufon).

Maps available, but require plenty of zooming in, before classification details appear:
    http://www.ufostalker.com/

One for Ireland today too by coincidence! #110475:
    https://mufoncms.com/cgi-bin/report_handler.pl?req=latest_reports
    A quick guess might be drone attempting to fly in 'food' to jailbirds, as locaiton was in Portlaoise.

// Edit: Just looked at linked video, a flashing triangle, or two, or more:
    https://www.mufoncms.com/files_jeud8334j/110475_submitter_file1__trim.8AACEBF0A13043ABAA7AE3A79A2AECA3.MOV

Once they start pizza/Amazon drone deliveries, and musk get's his 20,000 starlink sats, sure it will only add to the noise or confusion.

That one over Portlaoise looks interesting with the 2nd light popping in as well

That makes zero sense. What beefit to the earth is it if we remain 100% stuck here multiplying? Surely having some of the population living on off world colonies and extracting resources from asteroids is better for the plannet.

It makes perfect sense, unless we want to be in an endless cycle of use, destroy, move, repeat.
    If you saw a scifi film of a species like that they'd be the bad guys.

Seriously, take a look at us, no wonder aliens don't make contact, we are totally fcuked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Stay out there for a bit longer and you should be able to see the International Space Station whizz by.

That’s a cool sight for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Absolutely must frighten the life out of the most ordinary person, ppl are much more open to it now they haven’t attacked us as far as a global or even country scale that we know of. To hear the words “Off this world vehicle that wasn’t made on this earth” that’s scary to think of first off. Not half fascinating tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

As I said in a previous post, UFO's seem to have some connection with Volcanoes. Whether they get energy from them or they investigate or whatever.

Have a look at top middle here for the first few seconds. There are countless more videos from different Volcanoes.

https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/status/965645305399185408?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

We live in a world of never ending skepticism, things that turn out to be irrational, then turn out to be true.

But, why have these aliens decided to continue with the saucer technology? Is there some sort of physics that explains why this is the optimum engineering to navigate the galaxy?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Butson

As I said in a previous post, UFO's seem to have some connection with Volcanoes. Whether they get energy from them or they investigate or whatever.

Have a look at top middle here for the first few seconds. There are countless more videos from different Volcanoes.

https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/status/965645305399185408?s=19

Sorry, what are you seeing here in the first few seconds? Cant see it
    Have seen some videos before of UFOs going straight into Volancanos in Mexico

We live in a world of never ending skepticism, things that turn out to be irrational, then turn out to be true.

But, why have these aliens decided to continue with the saucer technology? Is there some sort of physics that explains why this is the optimum engineering to navigate the galaxy?

There have been sightings of triangular and cylinder shaped ufos also, if they are indeed aliens, they could belong to different species, different nations or simply different classes of craft with different design objectives. Human designed spacecraft also have great variance in shape.

• Advertisement

There have been sightings of triangular and cylinder shaped ufos also, if they are indeed aliens, they could belong to different species, different nations or simply different classes of craft with different design objectives. Human designed spacecraft also have great variance in shape.

I wonder would the saucer shape be anything to do with heat dissipation at high speed.

Also there is no front or rear, makes it easier to make those fast 90 degree turns?

Advertisement