Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

I'm curious to know, if the government did allow golf with a max of 2 households as before on March 5th but with the 5km restrictions in place how many people here would break that restriction to travel to the course?

I didn't the last time and won't this time. When I go to play golf I don't want to have that feeling of whether i'll be caught by the guards or not. Have enough to worry about day to day without that

I do have a driving range close by so that should act as some kind of methadone for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

etxp wrote: »
    I'm 8km away from my course, one of the nearest shops to me is also in the same village as the golf course. I'll be allowed to go do some shopping but not play golf in the fresh air 500m from the shop. I'll probably be breaking the 5km.:eek:

Difficult to legislate for this scenario, my dad is in a similar situation in that his nearest supermarket is beyond 5km but his course is around 8/9km the opposite direction. If he was stopped he'd struggle to come up with a valid reason to be travelling that direction when there's no shops other than garages in between. It's not really fair but I'll be telling him to stay put for now.

The issue I'd have is there were people on here, on twitter and Facebook who were openly saying they would be ignoring the rules. If that happens the 5th of March how long before there is a story in the papers about some eejit travelling 50km to play golf, we'll be back to locked down in no time. I'm hoping people have more sense this time than to flout the rules but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm curious to know, if the government did allow golf with a max of 2 households as before on March 5th but with the 5km restrictions in place how many people here would break that restriction to travel to the course?

The last time around I had to go outside of my 5k to get to the course. The entire course was within my 5k, but for about 2 minutes on the way there I was outside of my limit. It wasn't a grey area, I simply broke the rule. So I can't claim to be an angel in all of this. It was certainly at the lesser end of rule breaks, but it was a clear break.

But once they're open, golfers will be ignoring the 5k limit, ignoring the max of 2 households, ignoring the travel alone rule, etc. Not all golfers and not all to the same degrees, but it will be happening all over the country.

blue note wrote: »
    The last time around I had to go outside of my 5k to get to the course. The entire course was within my 5k, but for about 2 minutes on the way there I was outside of my limit. It wasn't a grey area, I simply broke the rule. So I can't claim to be an angel in all of this. It was certainly at the lesser end of rule breaks, but it was a clear break.

My father broke it the last time, roughly 3km over the 5km limit to get to it but as I said I'll be telling him to stay put this time not that he'll listen.
    But once they're open, golfers will be ignoring the 5k limit, ignoring the max of 2 households, ignoring the travel alone rule, etc. Not all golfers and not all to the same degrees, but it will be happening all over the country.

This is the crux of the issue and is the reason we are where we are, its why people making the argument that golf is safe is irrelevant, its never the golf that is the issue its the activities around it that cause the problem. Travelling in groups ,playing with 4 households etc. are what will cause issues. Its the same with every sport to be honest and its why those people arguing that there's been no outbreaks linked to golf or GAA or whatever are way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Russman

Is the rule 5km driving, 5km walking or 5km as the crow flies ? (genuinely wondering)
    eg not golf related but for example a relative of mine lives 5.2km by car from me but only 3km to walk it. if you google 5km from home a website will give you a 5km radius on a map which you could argue covers you (maybe).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Russman wrote: »
    Is the rule 5km driving, 5km walking or 5km as the crow flies ? (genuinely wondering)

As the crow flies.
    https://2kmfromhome.com/5km
    You can in theory, drive, walk, cycle, crawl many more than 5 K, so long as you remain within that 5k radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Russman

kippy wrote: »
    As the crow flies.
    https://2kmfromhome.com/5km

Thats the site I was looking at, thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭blue note

Russman wrote: »
    eg not golf related but for example a relative of mine lives 5.2km by car from me but only 3km to walk it. if you google 5km from home a website will give you a 5km radius on a map which you could argue covers you (maybe).

It's as the crow flies. So I was allowed to be on the golf course. I just wasn't allowed to get there by land. Possibly the blue tees on the 16th hole were outside of my limit as well, depending on whether I'm supposed to measure from the front of my garden or front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

You do all realise we won’t be standing on a tee box until April at the earliest yes?
    Penny doesn’t seemed to have dropped for most here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

In England they are looking at mid to late March as a possible reopening date for Golf. It’s highly unlikely we will do this any quicker than there so April sounds much more likely at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

etxp wrote: »
    I'm very familiar with the area myself and live 40 minutes away.
    I've heard plenty of stories about the hotels alright, it got seriously out of hand. My point was i don't know how that's related to the GAA.

If you're ever stuck for someone to play with give me a shout, unless its raining :D

As a corkman whose a member of Belmullet, I might fall in with ye sometime as well!!!!!

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    You do all realise we won’t be standing on a tee box until April at the earliest yes?
    Penny doesn’t seemed to have dropped for most here

If you think you will be golfing in April, the penny hasn't dropped for you either. I'd have Tuesday after the May bank holiday as my prediction. I always said Tuedsay 6th April after Easter. But the vaccination program is a disaster already and I think they will want all the over 70's vaccinated before things like golf open up. They are saying that's May. But if they say May, they really mean June earliest. 12 months on and the only solution is to lock us in our homes. It defies belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'll just un sub to this thread I think, doing my head no good with all these predictions and negativity, I've enough of that everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

Unfortunately can’t see an exception coming for golf anytime soon but continued restrictions past March/April may result in a loss of public support.

https://irishgolfer.ie/latest-golf-news/2021/02/12/its-time-an-exception-was-made-for-golf/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Unfortunately can’t see an exception coming for golf anytime soon but continued restrictions past March/April may result in a loss of public support.

Nothing like a family funeral to focus people's minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

I would break it, i am 7km from my course and would break it. Been very good with rules but will be playing my local course if this happens. Wfh and see nobody or do nothing will risk a fine if i got caught to break up the monotony.

I would break it, i am 7km from my course and would break it. Been very good with rules but will be playing my local course if this happens. Wfh and see nobody or do nothing will risk a fine if i got caught to break up the monotony.

For the sake of 2km I'd probably do the same. We've already had a few examples of the issues with a 5km rule but by the sounds of recent rumblings we won't be getting anywhere near a course until the 5km rule is gone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

God, I'm really missing my golf now. Watching the pebble pro-am only making it worse. Would love to play that course. It's only 2 months but feels like a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

For the sake of 2km I'd probably do the same. We've already had a few examples of the issues with a 5km rule but by the sounds of recent rumblings we won't be getting anywhere near a course until the 5km rule is gone anyway.

I’ve been very good about following all rules and guidelines but if I was 6-7km from my club I’d probably play too. I’m more like 25 as the crow flies and 40 driving and won’t. The 5km has no science behind it in particular, but it a the mentality of stay local, trekking for half an hour around the m50 for golf is taking the piss.

If people hold the line within reason we’ll be back playing for the full summer with limited if any restrictions. A round or two in March or April isn’t going to make or break my golf year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

The only saving grace with this golf restriction is that the weather has been horrific a long while now.
    I miss golf but I’d have no interest in playing the past 3-4 weeks for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭paulos53

How to get on the course during lockdown :)

https://twitter.com/BBCScotland/status/1359564287274938374

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ForeRight wrote: »
    The only saving grace with this golf restriction is that the weather has been horrific a long while now.
    I miss golf but I’d have no interest in playing the past 3-4 weeks for the most part.

Been rotten all right, but this afternoon in Dublin was very mild and calm enough, bright until well after 5. First time have felt like golf would have been enjoyable since new year. (Pretty soft going of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Would just love to have a set date so we'd know when we are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Looks like Britain will be back playing golf from next Monday, my brother in UK said that they are expecting to be back as 16 million people have been vaccinated so far, in percentage terms that's huge compared to us..

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Would just love to have a set date so we'd know when we are back.

The Tuesday after the June bank holiday I'd say.

Hotels, cafes, restaurants etc all **** for months. There's no golf til may at the earliest. I think they want the 470,000 over 70's full vaccinated before they do anything. That's scheduled to be done end of may.

This is the last lockdown so they will locked you in as long as they possibly can. Plus June they forecast to be vaccinating people at 250,000 a week, so I reckon June to open up is the most likely date.

I don't see the logic where people think it's march or April. Or may. It's wishful. But if someone can explain the logic. And it's not logic that you can socially distance from.others etc. The government want this to be it. End of. So they aren't taking any chances opening up too early or giving golfers.a game. Plus the 5km rule. If golf courses open then people would break that restriction left right and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Break80

bailey99 wrote: »

Hotels, cafes, restaurants etc all **** for months. There's no golf til may at the earliest. I think they want the 470,000 over 70's full vaccinated before they do anything. That's scheduled to be done end of may.

This is the last lockdown so they will locked you in as long as they possibly can. Plus June they forecast to be vaccinating people at 250,000 a week, so I reckon June to open up is the most likely date.

I don't see the logic where people think it's march or April. Or may. It's wishful. But if someone can explain the logic. And it's not logic that you can socially distance from.others etc. The government want this to be it. End of. So they aren't taking any chances opening up too early or giving golfers.a game. Plus the 5km rule. If golf courses open then people would break that restriction left right and centre.

Do you honestly believe people will accept tier 5 lockdown until then?
    I believe if The UK and the rest of Europe start opening up and we don't keep pace it will be the straw that will break the camel,s back.
    As soon as the weather get warmer people will not accept not being able to travel to beaches or forestry or anywhere else.
    You can only push so far.
    Imagine if Europe's Tourism Industry opens up and I include golf in this and we are still being asked to fly the flag?:eek::eek::eek:

bailey99 wrote: »

The logic is we are in level 5 now and that means no golf.
    Level 4 allows golf so unless that is off the cards until June as you believe golf will be back before then.

I don’t think there is any chance of us being in level 5 for the first 6 months of this year. There will be a full on jan 6th capitol insurrection long before that.

Also...
    this virus is in the vast majority hospitalising and killing the elderly. A huge % of the deaths come from nursing homes etc.

If the data from Israel is accurate and the death rate and even hospitalisation rate has hit the floors after vaccination in the over 70’s it’s reason for optimism here.
    All the nursing homes are more or less done now so you will see the death rates drop significantly along with people needing to go to hospital.

The lockdowns were designed to do one thing and that was protect hospitals from being over run with patients which would then cause needless death to non covid illness or injury which would normally be treated.

The public won’t stand for a severe lockdown if hospital and icu capacity is very healthy.

There is light on the horizon imo. We will all be out playing our usual atrocious golf soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Break80

The logic is we are in level 5 now and that means no golf.
    Level 4 allows golf so unless that is off the cards until June as you believe golf will be back before then.

I don’t think there is any chance of us being in level 5 for the first 6 months of this year. There will be a full on jan 6th capitol insurrection long before that.

Also...
    this virus is in the vast majority hospitalising and killing the elderly. A huge % of the deaths come from nursing homes etc.

If the data from Israel is accurate and the death rate and even hospitalisation rate has hit the floors after vaccination in the over 70’s it’s reason for optimism here.
    All the nursing homes are more or less done now so you will see the death rates drop significantly along with people needing to go to hospital.

The lockdowns were designed to do one thing and that was protect hospitals from being over run with patients which would then cause needless death to non covid illness or injury which would normally be treated.

The public won’t stand for a severe lockdown if hospital and icu capacity is very healthy.

There is light on the horizon imo. We will all be out playing our usual atocious golf soon.

100% agree.
    I would even suggest it's time to start talking about restarting what's left of our economy.
    If the most vulnerable is protected already We shouldn't be too worried about community transmission.
    If you are healthy, you might get it, chances are you get over it without seeing the inside of an ICU.
    The sooner we get businesses open the softer the blow down the line might be.

Break80 wrote: »
    100% agree.
    I would even suggest it's time to start talking about restarting what's left of our economy.
    If the most vulnerable is protected already We shouldn't be too worried about community transmission.
    If you are healthy, you might get it, chances are you get over it without seeing the inside of an ICU.
    The sooner we get businesses open the softer the blow down the line might be.

The only issue will be that currently there are still approx 170 in icu with covid. That number needs to drop massively still and it tends to come down much slower than it goes up for obvious reasons.

Either way the sacrifices we are making are working.
    We will be back playing soon and will have a super very appreciative summer of golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

The only issue will be that currently there are still approx 170 in icu with covid. That number needs to drop massively still and it tends to come down much slower than it goes up for obvious reasons. /QUOTE]

Would those selfish ****ers not hurry up and die!! :D:D

At some stage our government will need give up on the zero deaths.

R is currently pretty close to 1 based on numbers and nothing else

Advertisement