Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Everything from Leo with a grain of salt, that lad talks out of both sides of his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

its going to be the perfect storm of peak golf enthusiasm driven by the masters, clocks moving back and a wee bump in the weather so we don't need 4 + layers of clothes to step outside the front door, the courses are going to be rammed come april

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Are there any good links challenges to play in this year? a 2 or 3 day event. Need something to look forward to and a night or 2 away.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Are there any good links challenges to play in this year? a 2 or 3 day event. Need something to look forward to and a night or 2 away.

Atlantic Coast Challenge is on this year 12th-14th July. Savage 3 days golf but usually books up rapid. worth sending them an email though if interested
    info@carnegolflinks.com

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Everything from Leo with a grain of salt, that lad talks out of both sides of his mouth.

Oh I know yeah, but at least it's being talked about. Something to hold onto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

willabur wrote: »
    its going to be the perfect storm of peak golf enthusiasm driven by the masters, clocks moving back and a wee bump in the weather so we don't need 4 + layers of clothes to step outside the front door, the courses are going to be rammed come april

So you are saying that I won’t need to use my Christmas till next year ?:D

542929.jpeg

Haha yeah I got one of those rechargeable hand warmers on amazon, craghoppers thermal gear, thermal socks, thermal jocks and and thermal flask. Barely got to use any of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Haha yeah I got one of those rechargeable hand warmers on amazon, craghoppers thermal gear, thermal socks, thermal jocks and and thermal flask. Barely got to use any of them!

Didn't go thermal on craghoppers. Went wet gear, knew I'd need it all year versus a day or 3 for thermal:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Do we think we’ll get out before the Gaa lads are allowed out...I’m still thinking after Easter... https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0210/1196369-inter-county-gaa-no-longer-exempt-under-level-5/

Yup, get the logic that golf and Gaa are completely different setups/risks etc but the optics would not be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

From the Indo this morning....

Level 5 lockdown restrictions are set to be extended by at least another six weeks , with only schools and the construction sector likely to be allowed to reopen before Easter.
    A ‘refreshed’ Living with Covid plan will be published the week after next, but senior figures involved in drafting the document say it is unlikely to give definitive timelines or dates for reopening society and the economy.

Subject to Cabinet approval, the current Level 5 restrictions, which are due to expire on March 5, are likely to be extended until at least April 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭opinionated3

ForeRight wrote: »
    From the Indo this morning....

Level 5 lockdown restrictions are set to be extended by at least another six weeks , with only schools and the construction sector likely to be allowed to reopen before Easter.
    A ‘refreshed’ Living with Covid plan will be published the week after next, but senior figures involved in drafting the document say it is unlikely to give definitive timelines or dates for reopening society and the economy.

Subject to Cabinet approval, the current Level 5 restrictions, which are due to expire on March 5, are likely to be extended until at least April 12.

Leo just talking crap few days ago so . ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Leo just talking crap few days ago so . ..

Maybe they leaked that news today and Leo is going to surprise us in March 5th instead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd so there's very little chance of seeing golf before mid April at this stage. Wouldn't look good to allow golf back while precious GAA is not allowed.

And as we know, optics are more important then common sense :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Massive outbreaks related to GAA last time in every county and they are very aware of this so golf will be back way before GAA.

Golf will be back soon but under travel restrictions and with fines in place that will be an issue this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

After listening to Michael martin on newstalk I get the feeling me is actually scared to make an positive move after the Christmas surge.
    We are still looking at a 5km non essential travel limit.

It crazy that an outdoor activity that allows easy social distancing is not been re opened.

I really feel for the retired gentlemen in all clubs whose main form of activity and social interaction is remaining closed. Their mental health is not been considered in any decision making process.

Leo and Michael giving out different scenarios in the same week. It beyond a joke at this stage that the top 2 in government cant get their sh&t together.

I suppose its kite flying to see what gets traction?

As I said earlier Leo talks out of both sides of his mouth, not to be trusted.

Was thinking Easter would be the date, hopefully it doesn't drag into May.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭blue note

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Massive outbreaks related to GAA last time in every county and they are very aware of this so golf will be back way before GAA.

Golf will be back soon but under travel restrictions and with fines in place that will be an issue this time.

They were related to club celebrations, not playing or intercounty. It goes back to the gaa being so ingrained in communities. At the extreme end, some clubs won titles they hadn't won in decades and were going to celebrate regardless. In some cases this involved a pub crawl and everyone drinking from the cup. It's unfortunate for the organisation, because it makes bring competitive gaa back at club level very problematic, a problem that doesn't exist to nearly the same degree with any other sport.

The interesting thing is though, that playing gaa was pretty much problem free. Similar to golf, the game itself didn't spread the virus. It was the stuff that surrounded it that was the problem. Again, similar to golf. The gaa was much worse for the stuff surrounding the game, but when people look at the actual playing of the game and wonder why it's not back yet, they should bear in mind that if you took the same approach with gaa, you'd have to allow that back soon too. In both cases you have to look at the other stuff and factor that in. Like two lads arriving early for their round, it starts raining and they decide to take shelter in a car and have a chat.

As regards intercounty, it's a hard one to know what the right call is. As people here keep saying, people need some release from all the doom and gloom and for many that would be a round of golf. And at some point it's worth the risk of letting a few hundred thousand golfers back on the courses. Similarly, for others it's watching the championship. And similarly, at some point it's worth letting a couple thousand people go back playing for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Ollieboy wrote: »

Very true, but as pointed out above - it's all about optics and the precious Grab All Association won't be outdone by any other sport starting back sooner.

In fairness to the GAA the football and hurling ran off very successfully last year had no impact on cases. There's no way golf is back before intercounty.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭padmcv

How on earth can the Taoiseach talk about extending a Level 5 lockdown for a second time AND, with a straight face, say he will head off to Washington on a jolly during it "if asked"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭blue note

In fairness to the GAA the football and hurling ran off very successfully last year had no impact on cases. There's no way golf is back before intercounty.

They could. They seem to have split gaa from professional sports, so they could come back at the same time. And in fairness, the gaa lads have to go to work on top of whatever interacting they'll have as a result of playing. So they are different to the rugby lads for example.

On the other hand, I'd probably prefer to see men's intercounty gaa back before LOI. Relative to the gaa, very few watch Loi. And do the LOI players have other jobs or are they full time soccer players? I'd have thought that they're technically professional, but in reality I'd say half of them take home something similar to what the gaa lads get in travel expenses. And from endorsements, the top gaa lads would definitely take home more than soccer.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Very true, but as pointed out above - it's all about optics and the precious Grab All Association won't be outdone by any other sport starting back sooner.

"Precious Grab all association". Really. GAA has stepped up massively since the pandemic started. Feeding vulnerable in communities, Providing facilities for covid testing, signing up to be part of vaccine roll out. Dont be a drama queen

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dk1982

Chip on your shoulder there by any chance?

padmcv wrote: »
    How on earth can the Taoiseach talk about extending a Level 5 lockdown for a second time AND, with a straight face, say he will head off to Washington on a jolly during it "if asked"?

Because he has a brass neck and no shame. He doesn't care what the ordinary Joe Soap think, that his party is tanking in the opinion polls. He doesn't even care what his parliamentary party think of him. It has been a massive ego trip to become first Cork Taoiseach since Jack Lynch and he has probably dreamed about presenting a bowl of shamrock to POTUS since he was a boy at any cost.

I am sorry for the rant that has nothing to do with when we will be back playing golf but I have not felt this low at anytime over the last 12 months. It seems there is no hope.

dk1982 wrote: »
    Chip on your shoulder there by any chance?

No, I just hate the GAA:)

No, I just hate the GAA:)

Thinly veiled I was too useless and cowardly to play it so I took up golf. Figures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

blue note wrote: »
    They could. They seem to have split gaa from professional sports, so they could come back at the same time. And in fairness, the gaa lads have to go to work on top of whatever interacting they'll have as a result of playing. So they are different to the rugby lads for example.

On the other hand, I'd probably prefer to see men's intercounty gaa back before LOI. Relative to the gaa, very few watch Loi. And do the LOI players have other jobs or are they full time soccer players? I'd have thought that they're technically professional, but in reality I'd say half of them take home something similar to what the gaa lads get in travel expenses. And from endorsements, the top gaa lads would definitely take home more than soccer.

The difference of course is that the GAA is fundamentally an amateur organisation and is marketed as such.
    LOI whether successful or not is presented as a professional organisation and if they can put in place the same measure as the IRFU for example then they should come back.

Also it’s worth highlighting that LOI has a much smaller cohort of players/staff than the GAA and it’s far less stratified than the GAA.
    The upper echelon in the GAA such as Dublin is far further removed in terms of resources than Leitrim GAA but the gap between Dundalk FC and say Waterford is not nearly as big.

The GAA has far more to contend with logistically to get it correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Thinly veiled I was too useless and cowardly to play it so I took up golf. Figures

When did you realise you were good enough to play real football?

Hahahahaha. Well done on being a very brave, good little GAA/alter boy.

Joking aside, the GAA has "stepped up massively", in spreading Covid around the country. See Moycullen, Belmullet etc etc.

• Advertisement

Hahahahaha. Well done on being a very brave, good little GAA/alter boy.

Joking aside, the GAA has "stepped up massively", in spreading Covid around the country. See Moycullen, Belmullet etc etc.

You dont have to say well done mate, a simple thank you would suffice.
    I'm just raising a mirror so you can see your insecurities and learn to live with them instead of seethe and in your own words "hate". I think it will do wonders for your overall levels of zen going forward.

Advertisement