Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭blue note

Is Dooks not the obvious one to try and get into if you're in that neck of the woods? I always remember it being one of the hidden gems, best value courses in the country.i think their green fees are expensive now do they don't get overlooked by the Americans, but if membership is reasonable I'd be trying for there (based on reputation).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Kiith wrote: »

How is Hogs Head so highly ranked? No 34 on the top 100 last year. It looks fantastic, from what i can see of it. Super exclusive from what i've heard though.

Ah Hogs Head gets a lot of bad press because of the ownership model etc. I wouldn't be a huge fan of the place but it's a decent track. It bears practically no resemblance to the old Skellig Bay. Completely new course I would say. Even though that place was decent too it used to get very soft. Fantastic location and if you get the chance go and play it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

blue note wrote: »
    Is Dooks not the obvious one to try and get into if you're in that neck of the woods? I always remember it being one of the hidden gems, best value courses in the country.i think their green fees are expensive now do they don't get overlooked by the Americans, but if membership is reasonable I'd be trying for there (based on reputation).

I contacted Dooks first, but their membership isn't open till October or November this year for 2022 membership. Didn't seem to have anything for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Kenmare was also on my list, and is only a few minutes further out. Hadn't heard of Beaufort. Would these be better?

Yeah, living in Waterville. Would love to join there, but membership is around the 15k mark as well, from what i was told recently. Not sure how accurate that was, but either way i imagine its out of my price range. I definitely plan to get out in there a few times, but at €75 a pop (that's the off season rate they quoted me recently), it won't be very often. Will try get to know some of the locals for sure, and see if they'll get me out for cheaper.

Once pubs open, i'll use it as an excuse to sit in the pub watching golf :P

How is Hogs Head so highly ranked? No 34 on the top 100 last year. It looks fantastic, from what i can see of it. Super exclusive from what i've heard though.

Beaufort is a good course.

If Dooks is a possibility I’d be all over that if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I contacted Dooks first, but their membership isn't open till October or November this year for 2022 membership. Didn't seem to have anything for this year.

If you can get into Dooks for 2022 then it would be worth waiting for in my opinion. Fine course. Surprised you can't get in there though as I know a couple of people who joined last year.

• Advertisement

I'll email Dooks again and ask if they have any offers for this year. No idea how much they cost, but will see.

Was thinking i'd do the Ring of Kerry this year, as it's only €400, and then Dooks for 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭blue note

I'll email Dooks again and ask if they have any offers for this year. No idea how much they cost, but will see.

Was thinking i'd do the Ring of Kerry this year, as it's only €400, and then Dooks for 2022.

That sounds like a good plan to me.

Is Dooks all it's cracked up to be as a course? I imagine part of it's reputation was based on it's incredible value, but it certainly doesn't seem to be cheap anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Is Dooks all it's cracked up to be as a course? I imagine part of it's reputation was based on it's incredible value, but it certainly doesn't seem to be cheap anymore.

dooks is a super golf course. it has been steadily improving the course over the last 10 or so yrs. greens are consistently good. nice bar, restaurant and pro shop. always competitive at all inter clubs matches
    I would think it would be a nice place to join

membership is currently closed afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

slingerz wrote: »
    Beaufort is a good course.

If Dooks is a possibility I’d be all over that if I was you.

Played Beaufort day before last year's (2019) Captains in Dooks and I can say that it's a fine track and very friendly clubhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Played Beaufort day before last year's (2019) Captains in Dooks and I can say that it's a fine track and very friendly clubhouse
    Played that day with ya, totally agreed lovely spot I think one of the boardsies was just a point off the prizes in the open that day and Dooks its just class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

15k for waterville. View it as an investment in you and life. How much is the annual sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Dooks is a really good spot. Maybe 16/17 are weak holes but that’s it

Anyone know how much Dooks is for membership?
    bailey99 wrote: »
    15k for waterville. View it as an investment in you and life. How much is the annual sub?
    Pretty sure my wife wouldn't see it as much of an investment :P

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Lip Out

Is there a membership thread somewhere on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

Lip Out wrote: »
    Is there a membership thread somewhere on here?

Was going to say the same... is this thread about Kerry memberships or a return to play after restrictions.

On topic I think we’ll be back playing on March 5th however this will be confined to members whose club is within their county. Hospital numbers decreasing at steep levels and although there will still be 4/4+ restrictions an outdoor activity like golf in controlled 2/3 ball setting should be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Soundshkin

Was going to say the same... is this thread about Kerry memberships or a return to play after restrictions.

On topic I think we’ll be back playing on March 5th however this will be confined to members whose club is within their county. Hospital numbers decreasing at steep levels and although there will still be 4/4+ restrictions an outdoor activity like golf in controlled 2/3 ball setting should be allowed.

Ya Id be fairly hopeful of March 5th too after the last couple of days and listening to the talk on the news.

Possibly looking at same sort of restrictions as were proposed when golf was to be allowed at level 5 originally at the end of December? 3 ball max and only from 2 different households?

Yeah, I imagine it'll go back to what we have immediately after the previous lockdowns. Restricted numbers, spaced out tee times and 5km restriction.

Hopeful that it will happen, as i really can't stomach another few months of no golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Break80

Yeah, I imagine it'll go back to what we have immediately after the previous lockdowns. Restricted numbers, spaced out tee times and 5km restriction.

Hopeful that it will happen, as i really can't stomach another few months of no golf.

Hopefully the powers that be don't insist on a 5km limit like last time.
    This place will be on fire again like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Break80

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I would imagine there definitely will be a travel restriction in the first step of opening up. Didn't help that people openly and in many cases proudly flouted the 5km rule the last time but I'd assume with the fines still in place that won't happen as much this time. You'd hope it would be only in place for a couple of weeks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

In fairness, most of the posts on this thread are off topic...........we are not back!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Break80 wrote: »
    Soundshkin wrote: »
    Ya Id be fairly hopeful of March 5th too after the last couple of days and listening to the talk on the news.

Possibly looking at same sort of restrictions as were proposed when golf was to be allowed at level 5 originally at the end of December? 3 ball max and only from 2 different households?

i'd much rather than distance restriction over the household one, course might as well be closed for the few people that are going to get out in 2 and 3 balls with that restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Roger_007 wrote: »
    In fairness, most of the posts on this thread are off topic...........we are not back!

But we are back...back in bloody lockdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Leo sounded very optimistic about a return for golf early in March on Newstalk this evening:
    “Potentially there will be elements of outdoor exercise that are not allowed at the moment,” he said.

“Like for example golf, like for example underage teams doing some form of training. The kind of things you would see in Level Four of the existing plan.”

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Leo sounded very optimistic about a return for golf early in March on Newstalk this evening:
    “Potentially there will be elements of outdoor exercise that are not allowed at the moment,” he said.

“Like for example golf, like for example underage teams doing some form of training. The kind of things you would see in Level Four of the existing plan.”

Leo is only shooting from the hip, I reckon April at best before we are on a golf course. The case numbers are still over 500, it's too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Looking promising alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Leo is only shooting from the hip, I reckon April at best before we are on a golf course. The case numbers are still over 500, it's too high.

Yes he is and I really wish he would stop. I cant believe his parliamentary party thinks his informal behaviour is acceptable.

By the way the 5 day average is about 800...still well on track to be circa 200 come March 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Yes he is and I really wish he would stop. I cant believe his parliamentary party thinks his informal behaviour is acceptable.

By the way the 5 day average is about 800...still well on track to be circa 200 come March 5th

Also, there's a huge number of out breaks in nursing homes and hospitals which would contribute to the current numbers and when they sort them out we SHOULD see numbers drop very quickly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I reckon one or two politician make statements every now and then to see how the public reacts, good - they keep going with it, bad - they reel it back in and do the opposite. Like gauging interest in something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement