Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Break80

Our government's one size fits all approach to sport will have to be reviewed.
    If every sporting body presented their case.
    Where do you think Golf would be?
    I'm sure the younger guys on here would sacrifice other sports they play once they can get to play one which is regarded safer.
    At present we have nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

There is no exception needed. All that no golf, no beaches, 5km guff is just for 'the message' anyway. There will be no acceptance of such 'educational' nonsense very soon. I'm amazed people have been this gullible for so long anyway.

I get the whole we're all in this together and all that but it's difficult when you look at the likes of horse racing going ahead. I've nothing against horse racing and have even watched some of it recently but the only people it is essential to are the bookies.

Last week I saw on Instagram where Joseph O'Brien brought a team of 60 horses up to the Curragh for a bit of training. Think of the logistics of something like that and the number of people involved when they have their own facilities they could be using.

So people are entitled to feel frustrated not to be able to do their thing which is Golf for most of us. Like a previous poster said we haven't missed too much the past few weeks with the weather but that will change in the coming weeks. We can only hope Golf and some other individual sports get a bit of leeway from the government on their way out of this lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Exactly wrote: »
    I get the whole we're all in this together and all that but it's difficult when you look at the likes of horse racing going ahead. I've nothing against horse racing and have even watched some of it recently but the only people it is essential to are the bookies.

Last week I saw on Instagram where Joseph O'Brien brought a team of 60 horses up to the Curragh for a bit of training. Think of the logistics of something like that and the number of people involved when they have their own facilities they could be using.

So people are entitled to feel frustrated not to be able to do their thing which is Golf for most of us. Like a previous poster said we haven't missed too much the past few weeks with the weather but that will change in the coming weeks. We can only hope Golf and some other individual sports get a bit of leeway from the government on their way out of this lockdown.

The whole thing has long since escalated into Monthy Python stuff. I'm actually allowed to walk the course. In small groups even. Figure that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Break80 wrote: »
    Our government's one size fits all approach to sport will have to be reviewed.

Not just golf.
    Every industry needed to be looked at.
    This is serious in more ways than one.
    A one for all approach is wrong on so many levels.

But they won’t change it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

A lot of people are quietly tolerating lockdown at the min as the weather is crap. We are likely a few weeks from a nice dry sunny spring day. The pressure will come on then.

A warm jumper and hat on you and today is a belter of a day for the golf links, all be it a bit windy.
    But you are right, I haven’t missed is sooooo much because I’ve been saying to myself that I wouldn’t have been playing anyway because of the weather

Seve OB wrote: »
    A warm jumper and hat on you and today is a belter of a day for the golf links, all be it a bit windy.
    But you are right, I haven’t missed is sooooo much because I’ve been saying to myself that I wouldn’t have been playing anyway because of the weather

I never thought I would say it.
    I would play in a monsoon naked right now. ( Some sight I know)

Jesus I wished I stayed out at Captains Prize in Dooks last year:):):)

I get it bad on a sunday night watching the guys on the PGA tour out golfing in the bright sun on well manicured dry courses.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ran past Waterville and Hogs Head this morning, and they are both just begging to be played. It's a lovely day out there, and they deserve to be played on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Kiith wrote: »
    Ran past Waterville and Hogs Head this morning, and they are both just begging to be played. It's a lovely day out there, and they deserve to be played on :(

No, you're better off dodging people on the footpath, it's safer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

You actually sound like some of the posters on the other threads who love lockdown.......

I don't love lockdown but there hasn't been any honesty from government over the last twelve months. The solution locking everyone up isn't the solution, but it's what was decided and there's zero resistance to that policy.

We have been locked up for months and months, there was no provision or intention to increase ICU capacity from June to December last year. No planning or preparation for what the dogs in the street knew was coming.down the tracks in winter time and the second wave.

The vaccine rollout is shocking already compared to other countries. I hope, I really do hope that the over 70's will be done by the end of May, but come on, have you faith in the HSE to manage that?! Look at the state of that organisation.

If people believe we are opening up in March or Easter time on the golf courses etc then seriously, have a day off and look at the problem and the solution. We are not going to do anything until at a minimum the over 70's are done. Explain please how we can do it without them being vaccinated at a minimum.

If not, then within four or five weeks the cases will be in the thousands again and hospital overwhelmed. We have been locked up since 26th December. If it's Tuesday 6th April we come out of level 5 (which I don't believe will happen for one second) then that'll be 14.5 weeks in lockdown and people will go nuts as a result celebrating. Meeting up, visiting grandparents, house parties, garden BBQs etc.

If you have ruled out another lockdown, then it's pushed out to march 5th , then out to April 12th. Get schools back and some retails open but very little really.

From June I'd expect to see significant easing in terms of getting tourism up and running internally only obviously and also, the expected number of doses to be given out are 250,000 a week from June which is very positive.

The government are not risking all that so we can go play golf in March or April or May in my logical opinion. And yes, I agree that it's one of the safer sports to open up, but they are not going to pick and choose at this stage of the pandemic.

I think if you had it your way we would be all locked into our houses until sometime in 2023/2024 when the whole world has been declared Covid free and the army would be on the streets ready to pop anyone who dared show their snout in public.

What a stupid comment.

When do you think lockdown will be lifted and can you explain why you think that please?

A lot of people are quietly tolerating lockdown at the min as the weather is crap. We are likely a few weeks from a nice dry sunny spring day. The pressure will come on then.

What pressure? We aren't a nation of protestors like the French for example are. We bear it and love with decisions. I'm not calling for civil.unrest but we don't protest over much bar the water charges. I actually think it's property tax that should've been objected to more than water charges, but that's for another day lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

bailey99 wrote: »

From June I'd expect to see significant easing in terms of getting tourism up and running internally only obviously and also, the expected number of doses to be given out are 250,000 a week from June which is very positive.

The government are not risking all that so we can go play golf in March or April or May in my logical opinion. And yes, I agree that it's one of the safer sports to open up, but they are not going to pick and choose at this stage of the pandemic.

If you expect to see a significant easing for tourism come June, then why are you laughing so heartily at those who suspect clubhouses may open in June?

It seems quite likely to me that clubhouses won't open after domestic tourism is allowed to resume. Sure they may open in conjunction but it seems a more laughable suggestion to me that domestic tourism resumes prior to clubhouses reopening?

I don't love lockdown but there hasn't been any honesty from government over the last twelve months. The solution locking everyone up isn't the solution, but it's what was decided and there's zero resistance to that policy.

We have been locked up for months and months, there was no provision or intention to increase ICU capacity from June to December last year. No planning or preparation for what the dogs in the street knew was coming.down the tracks in winter time and the second wave.

The vaccine rollout is shocking already compared to other countries. I hope, I really do hope that the over 70's will be done by the end of May, but come on, have you faith in the HSE to manage that?! Look at the state of that organisation.

If people believe we are opening up in March or Easter time on the golf courses etc then seriously, have a day off and look at the problem and the solution. We are not going to do anything until at a minimum the over 70's are done. Explain please how we can do it without them being vaccinated at a minimum.

If not, then within four or five weeks the cases will be in the thousands again and hospital overwhelmed. We have been locked up since 26th December. If it's Tuesday 6th April we come out of level 5 (which I don't believe will happen for one second) then that'll be 14.5 weeks in lockdown and people will go nuts as a result celebrating. Meeting up, visiting grandparents, house parties, garden BBQs etc.

If you have ruled out another lockdown, then it's pushed out to march 5th , then out to April 12th. Get schools back and some retails open but very little really.

I agree 100% with the first part of your post but hindsight is maybe for another day when we are finally out of this.
    I think This Government and NEPHET will have a lot of questions to answer when that time comes.

You seem to hang on your point of Over 70s being vaccinated before any form of easing restrictions.
    Wouldn't it make sense to keep that group in level 5 until they get vaccinated and ease things for younger.

I firmly believe that even though numbers will go up Hospitals will not be overrun as younger healthier people will fight it off at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

I have to laugh at some of the comments here. The notion of one poster that clubhouses be open may or early June.....no chance.

And the over 70's won't be vaccinated til end if may at the earliest. Yet ye all think it'll be march or start of April to go golfing. I'll come back at Easter and see how furious ye all are lol

You take delight in predicting when golf is open? get a life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

The sun is shining at the moment, I'm going out for some fresh air......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Okay folks, hard times for us all, frustrating too but let's take the tone down, we're better than that

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Break80 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it make sense to keep that group in level 5 until they get vaccinated and ease things for younger.

Wouldn't or couldn't they have done that over the last 11 months so? The political consequences of saying to over 70's, vulnerable groups or any group is stay indoors while we continue life would be disastrous. So they destroyed the economy, costing 1.3 billion a month to do what they did. They are not changing it now.

Trust me, people saying young people can fight vivid at home, our hospital closest was over run last month with people in their 30's and 40's with no underlying issues who were in hospital on oxygen to help them breathe. If you think it's only the elderly who suffer, you are very wrong.

My point is that they aren't changing tack now. Think about it logically, by end of June, there's approx 470k over the age of 70 and another 190k between 65-69.

Best case they will be vaccinated by end of June and another 610k people (approx 55-64) year old category will have gotten first vaccination. Or by e vaccinated if they use the one shot vaccine.

There's 1.1 million under 14's, 600k ages 15-24, and 1.6 million 25-44 year olds and ball park another 600k aged 46-55 not yet vaccinated. I don't think it's outlandish to expect government to keep lockdown unless at least those over 70 are full vaccinated and that's at a bear minimum.

I hope I'm golfing on Paddy's Day or Easter, but I fail to see the avenue open for it to happen..if I was offer may bank holiday I'd be delighted at this stage. But as outlined I don't even think that's realistic. The government are footing the bill for months til hotels, cafe, restaurants etc can open ( June earliest) so they couldn't give two hoots about golf courses in the greater scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I believe we'll be back before June. Golfers are a conservative lot by nature so there's a good chance they could keep courses shut until mid summer with only minimal pushback, but that wont apply to the public at large. We may not be France but we have a breaking point.

Up until now, the government have been absolutely blessed with the (awful) weather. Like everybody else here, Ive missed golf a lot less because of it, and, in my view, it has taken the edge off the general urge to even leave the house for any length of time, never mind go beyond 5k. Instances of the restrictions being flouted seem genuinely rare, and outright abuse of them (beyond trips to Canarian dentists), even moreso.

You throw in an announcement next week that things are staying the same for an undetermined amount of time and add a week or 2 of good weather and that will change. Schools will be back so people be out and about. They will visit their families. They will congregate for coffee, either outside or in each other's homes. There will be unsolicited kickabouts and training sessions. And, because indoor activities like gyms, salons, pubs and restaurants will stay shut and with the ramping up of vaccinations, people will observe the number of hospitalisations and deaths will continue to drop (unless they got schools totally wrong).

Breaches will be subtle at first, then more crude and, eventually, less frowned upon. It will soon get to a point where it wont make sense to restrict outdoor sports and activities because they will happen regardless. Anybody who was in a park today or yesterday will have seen the writing on the wall for all of the above. They might be able to string us along til Easter. Golf, and a host of other outdoor pursuits, will be back at that point. If not before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Trust me, people saying young people can fight vivid at home, our hospital closest was over run last month with people in their 30's and 40's with no underlying issues who were in hospital on oxygen to help them breathe. If you think it's only the elderly who suffer, you are very wrong.

This is just not true. Hospitals were not overrun with these age groups and saying that is pure scaremongering nonsense. I work in a hospital and the extreme minority hospitalised are those age groups.
    The vast majority hospitalised are older with a lot of underlying conditions.
    Of course the odd younger person arrives to the hospital but they are a very small number of what’s in there.
    This nonsense doesn’t help your logic that you keep referring too while pontificating about what’s what and what the future holds.

Right I made that up did I? Just for the craic? There was 30+ people across wards in 30's 49's no older. But I'm scare mongering. Course I am. You caught me out there totally rotten.

Right I made that up did I? Just for the craic? There was 30+ people across wards in 30's 49's no older. But I'm scare mongering. Course I am. You caught me out there totally rotten.

So 30+ in wards out of over a thousand at the height of the crisis.

Sounds like they were massively overrun with people in their 30’s and 40’s as you said yeah.

Actually sounds more like what I said. A fraction of the hospital cases are those age groups.

I work there. You obviously dont seen as though you think the hospital system is crippled with young adults with covid.

And yes you were caught out totally rotten I agree with that.

Good night sir.

ForeRight wrote: »
    So 30+ in wards out of over a thousand at the height of the crisis.

Sounds like they were massively overrun with people in their 30’s and 40’s as you said yeah.

Actually sounds more like what I said. A fraction of the hospital cases are those age groups.

I work there. You obviously dont seen as though you think the hospital system is crippled with young adults with covid.

And yes you were caught out totally rotten I agree with that.

Good night sir.

Off to bed squire. I said my local hospital was and it was. Get a good nights sleep there pet, bless, you are probably under pressure. I find a walk or two even for ten minutes is very beneficial during the day. Not good to see someone so upset. By the way, you do realise I was being sarcastic don't you? Just in case you missed that, but no problem, let it go.

I've great respect for the front line workers like yourself. Keep it up and stay safe won't you.

IF 30+ young adults is enough to overpower any hospital then we are rightly screwed.
    On the flipside there is certainly many multiplies of that number at home fighting off the virus.

Off to bed squire. I said my local hospital was and it was. Get a good nights sleep there pet, bless, you are probably under pressure. I find a walk or two even for ten minutes is very beneficial during the day. Not good to see someone so upset. By the way, you do realise I was being sarcastic don't you? Just in case you missed that, but no problem, let it go.

I've great respect for the front line workers like yourself. Keep it up and stay safe won't you.

I didn’t see you said your local hospital. My mistake there.
    Either way your local hospital was not “overrun” with patients in their 30-40’s unless I missed that scandal on all the news headlines.
    It’s simply a lie my friend. No hospital on the planet was overrun with patients in that age group.

Do you care to tell me what hospital it was? I’ll be able to get the official stats for it. I prefer to deal in facts rather than anecdotal fabrications.

Contacted Hogs Head to ask about green fee's when they do open, and they said they are currently working towards April 18th as the date they'd be opening (dependent on restrictions of course). So it seems even some clubs are not optimistic about March 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Contacted Hogs Head to ask about green fee's when they do open, and they said they are currently working towards April 18th as the date they'd be opening (dependent on restrictions of course). So it seems even some clubs are not optimistic about March 5th.

I heard April 20th, but i think it's just people throwing dates out that i heard.

Did they give an indication on the price of the Green Fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

That seems fairly credible as I know someone who owns a barbers and he said that is the date they hope to be up and running again. Pure conjecture I know.

• Advertisement

etxp wrote: »
    Did they give an indication on the price of the Green Fee?
    €275 green fee, plus i think you need a caddy, as they say it'll be provided on the day and that an extra €100. Seems extremely expensive to me, but they can probably afford to not have many guests considering their owners.

I can play Waterville for €75, so i'll be going there a few times as soon as we re-open.

Advertisement