Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Hahahahaha. Well done on being a very brave, good little GAA/alter boy.

Joking aside, the GAA has "stepped up massively", in spreading Covid around the country. See Moycullen, Belmullet etc etc.

How were the GAA responsible for the St Stephens day party in Belmullet?

I know there was a gathering in the local pubs and hotels for the Final but that hasn't been regarded as causing the outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Focus on your own sport guys. Why be having digs at other ones like GAA?
    We have all seen the posts from people giving out about golf being back last summer, and it is quite spiteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

GAA county finals were cited as a large reason for the second lock down. That is a fact. Stop digging holes

This is about golf getting back and we are rightly WAY ahead of them in the queue

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

etxp wrote: »
    How were the GAA responsible for the St Stephens day party in Belmullet?

I know there was a gathering in the local pubs and hotels for the Final but that hasn't been regarded as causing the outbreak.

I know Belmullet quite well and play golf up there every year. In fact I was talking to a man from there yesterday about the very topic. Belmullet has a lot of people living and working abroad and a lot of them came home for Christmas. It would not have many hotels so Broadhaven Bay served drinks with food and would have been seen as the epicentre of some outbreaks.

For the record I am a GAA man myself but like a lot of GAA people love a game of golf. You see quite a crossover of committee members who would be on both golf club and GAA club committees and do a wonderful job. I do think golf should be back before GAA as it is low risk. I would even leave it to over 65's for the time being who should be enjoying their retirement years and not under house arrest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭blue note

The hatred of the three biggest sporting organisations in this country is crazy. People genuinely hate rugby, because they don't like those posh types. They hate the gaa for it's place in the community. They hate soccer for being full of knackers (which I think is the nastiest hatred).

It's far beyond friendly ribbing. People jump at the chance to have a pop at the others sports. I wish people would grow up.

I understand that it can be annoying that you can't get away from people talking about how great the gaa is when that isn't your experience of it. To be honest, I find the level of rugby discussion a bit annoying because I find it boring. But get over it. Lots of people love the GAA, they have made friends throughout a community from it, the clubs are generally great to go into the schools to help out with coaching, you'll find that clubs have helped out with mens sheds and other community projects, I know my club have made ourselves available to do the shopping for people who can't during covid. There's lots good happening in gaa clubs that people love them for. There's bad too, they're far from perfect. But people really need to relax and not be waiting to have a cut off the gaa whenever they can. Same for rugby, there's nothing wrong with the fact that it's the dominant sport in private schools. And soccer is dominant in working class areas. It's not right to mock their fans because they have inner city Dublin accents or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Thinly veiled I was too useless and cowardly to play it so I took up golf. Figures

wtf is this garbage kinda comment doing in this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

The fact that an admitted "GAA man" thinks playing GAA is brave is the funniest thing I've read in a long while but it does sort of confirm that attitudes like that are common amongst "GAA men".

I know Belmullet quite well and play golf up there every year. In fact I was talking to a man from there yesterday about the very topic. Belmullet has a lot of people living and working abroad and a lot of them came home for Christmas. It would not have many hotels so Broadhaven Bay served drinks with food and would have been seen as the epicentre of some outbreaks.

I'm very familiar with the area myself and live 40 minutes away.
    I've heard plenty of stories about the hotels alright, it got seriously out of hand. My point was i don't know how that's related to the GAA.

If you're ever stuck for someone to play with give me a shout, unless its raining :D

etxp wrote: »
    I'm very familiar with the area myself and live 40 minutes away.
    I've heard plenty of stories about the hotels alright, it got seriously out of hand. My point was i don't know how that's related to the GAA.

If you're ever stuck for someone to play with give me a shout, unless its raining :D

It has nothing to do with GAA. He admitted he hated GAA. Didn't outline a reason except for falsehoods about GAA being responsible for outbreak in Belmullet. I have heard stories anecdotally from people there who never even mentioned GAA as reason for outbreak there instead mentioning other factors that are pointless ro bring into this discussion.

Anyway I will be up on the 4th of July for the 4 ball event run over 2 days. Might hit you up for a practice round if we ever get out of this mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

padmcv wrote: »
    How on earth can the Taoiseach talk about extending a Level 5 lockdown for a second time AND, with a straight face, say he will head off to Washington on a jolly during it "if asked"?
    Because he has a brass neck and no shame. He doesn't care what the ordinary Joe Soap think, that his party is tanking in the opinion polls. He doesn't even care what his parliamentary party think of him. It has been a massive ego trip to become first Cork Taoiseach since Jack Lynch and he has probably dreamed about presenting a bowl of shamrock to POTUS since he was a boy at any cost.

I am sorry for the rant that has nothing to do with when we will be back playing golf but I have not felt this low at anytime over the last 12 months. It seems there is no hope.

It's a bilateral political meeting with the new President of the USA not a fcuking jolly.

Salvadoor wrote: »
    It's a bilateral political meeting with the new President of the USA not a fcuking jolly.

That he can do via zoom.

Biden swore in his cabinet via zoom with their ceremonies on zoom too. I'm sure they would have like to have been there in person to shake his hand but we are in the midst of a global pandemic. MM should have the call via zoom too.

Do you think they will get a round of golf in over there?

That he can do via zoom.

Biden swore in his cabinet via zoom with their ceremonies on zoom too. I'm sure they would have like to have been there in person to shake his hand but we are in the midst of a global pandemic. MM should have the call via zoom too.

if Biden invites him; he goes, If Biden invites him to a zoom call; do a zoom call.

Its Biden's call not MM's

To call it a "jolly" is populist BS being propagated by the nutters (SF, PBP, Soc Dems etc)

if Biden invites him; he goes, If Biden invites him to a zoom call; do a zoom call.

To call it a "jolly" is populist BS being propagated by the nutters (SF, PBP, Soc Dems etc)

I never called it a jolly and I dont subscribe to views of those parties you identified. There is nothing he cant do or achieve on a call in much the same way as meeting him in person. People all around the world are collaborating on projects, implementing new software systems, launching new products etc from the comfort of their home. This should be no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

That he can do via zoom.

MM travels to Europe on a regular basis. It is part of his job. We are the only country that has an annual invitation to the Whitehouse. It is a trip that has been used to secure multi national investment in this country. It has led to billions being invested in our economy. It is why the tradition continued during the Trump era.
    There are many issues you could use to beat MM with. This is the wrong one.

It has nothing to do with GAA. He admitted he hated GAA. Didn't outline a reason except for falsehoods about GAA being responsible for outbreak in Belmullet. I have heard stories anecdotally from people there who never even mentioned GAA as reason for outbreak there instead mentioning other factors that are pointless ro bring into this discussion.

I'll take this IT article over your anecdotal evidence to be honest with you where they specifically mention the All Ireland final as a cause.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/how-did-a-remote-mayo-town-become-ireland-s-most-covid-infected-place-1.4465431

MM travels to Europe on a regular basis. It is part of his job. We are the only country that has an annual invitation to the Whitehouse. It is a trip that has been used to secure multi national investment in this country. It has led to billions being invested in our economy. It is why the tradition continued during the Trump era.
    There are many issues you could use to beat MM with. This is the wrong one.

What secures investment is the convoy, lobbyists and business leaders that go with him. The networking at the Gala dinners and balls. All those have been cancelled. Biden has a much better relationship/affinity with Ireland than any POTUS in living memory so I'm not sure there is a need to go over if a call could achieve the same thing. It is the message it sends out to a downtrodden nation whose morale is on the floor. Anyway it is the last point I will make about it because you have your view and I have mine and it is a golf forum afterall. They are other places to make these points I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

I never called it a jolly and I dont subscribe to views of those parties you identified. There is nothing he cant do or achieve on a call in much the same way as meeting him in person. People all around the world are collaborating on projects, implementing new software systems, launching new products etc from the comfort of their home. This should be no different.

They’re not the same.

By your logic, Biden should be setting up calls with Kim Jong-Un, Putin and potentially renegotiating the Nuclear Deal with Iran vi Zoom.

I’m not conflating MM’s visit as anything on the level of that but there are certain things that can’t be discussed via Zoom call. Let’s not pretend they’re not different

This thread has gone way off topic lads....

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Anyway lads, when do you think we'll be back playing golf and not talking politics

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

Is it possible that Martin is talking about wider level 5 restrictions remaining til Easter while Varadkar is still correct in suggesting there may be minor adjustments for outdoor pursuits like golf etc from march 5th?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Slimity wrote: »
    Is it possible that Martin is talking about wider level 5 restrictions remaining til Easter while Varadkar is still correct in suggesting there may be minor adjustments for outdoor pursuits like golf etc from march 5th?

I think the situation is still quite fluid to be honest. They're obviously softening us up for a Level 5 extension to Easter, but stuff like golf could be allowed from mid March. If you remember last summer, the restriction end dates were pulled forward when the numbers improved.

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Anyway lads, when do you think we'll be back playing golf and not talking politics

The tone has shifted away from a "resilience and recovery plan for living with Covid" to a "managing the pandemic plan". It is quite a shift. If you listened to interview with Aine Wilson this morning it doesn't get any starker. the question was put to him "will you resist calls for opening up and bringing on a 4th wave or will you bottle it". I nearly crashed the car when I heard it framed that way.
    So to answer your question it is impossible to say. I will still pay my membership but who knows when we will be back playing. I was optimistic after Varadkars comments the other day but it could be May or June now.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Hahahahaha. Well done on being a very brave, good little GAA/alter boy.

Joking aside, the GAA has "stepped up massively", in spreading Covid around the country. See Moycullen, Belmullet etc etc.

GAA had nothing to do with the spread of Covid in Belmullet, please get your facts right before sprouting lies.. not a big admirer of the organisation but these are lies your spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

And if Biden asks him to jump off a bridge? ;)

MM is the leader of a sovereign nation, it is absolutely his call.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Slimity wrote: »

One can only hope. Mental health is becoming/already is a major issue so it would make sense to open up low risk activities like golf. Unfortunately the government have repeatedly made illogical decisions during the pandemic though.

I'm curious to know, if the government did allow golf with a max of 2 households as before on March 5th but with the 5km restrictions in place how many people here would break that restriction to travel to the course?

• Advertisement

I'm curious to know, if the government did allow golf with a max of 2 households as before on March 5th but with the 5km restrictions in place how many people here would break that restriction to travel to the course?

I'm 8km away from my course, one of the nearest shops to me is also in the same village as the golf course. I'll be allowed to go do some shopping but not play golf in the fresh air 500m from the shop. I'll probably be breaking the 5km.:eek:

Advertisement