Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

Kiith wrote: »
    €275 green fee, plus i think you need a caddy, as they say it'll be provided on the day and that an extra €100. Seems extremely expensive to me, but they can probably afford to not have many guests considering their owners.

I can play Waterville for €75, so i'll be going there a few times as soon as we re-open.

I called Waterville too, assuming no mats, they're fantastic value at 75e.

Perhaps some courses will do a pass of some sort for multiple rounds assuming some form of county or distance limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

ForeRight wrote: »
    I didn’t see you said your local hospital. My mistake there.
    Either way your local hospital was not “overrun” with patients in their 30-40’s unless I missed that scandal on all the news headlines.
    It’s simply a lie my friend. No hospital on the planet was overrun with patients in that age group.

Do you care to tell me what hospital it was? I’ll be able to get the official stats for it. I prefer to deal in facts rather than anecdotal fabrications.

Not to drag it too OT, but FWIW according to the HSPC report for the 2 weeks to 9th Feb, just over 48% of hospitalisations were under 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

That's a hefty green fee, i dont particularly like the look of Hogs Head either.

the 75 for waterville is this a special rate? they said 140 to me when i enquired.

etxp wrote: »
    That's a hefty green fee, i dont particularly like the look of Hogs Head either.

the 75 for waterville is this a special rate? they said 140 to me when i enquired.

That was the winter rate but it extended into early April if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

I was quoted 140 for second week in april for waterville

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Russman wrote: »
    Not to drag it too OT, but FWIW according to the HSPC report for the 2 weeks to 9th Feb, just over 48% of hospitalisations were under 65.

So not “overrun” as I said and that includes people from 50-65 which probably makes up the vast majority of that 48%.

Scaremongering from some would have you believe hospitals are bursting at the seems with people in their 30’s and 40’s though.

As I said making up lies to support his logical reasoning just doesn’t wash I’m afraid.

etxp wrote: »

I played old head 3 times last summer.
    First time horrific weather the other 2 times blistering head and no wind. A magical experience. I think we paid about €125 for casual and €90 for a Gui comp.

Hopefully they do that again this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭d161

I didn’t see you said your local hospital. My mistake there.
    Either way your local hospital was not “overrun” with patients in their 30-40’s unless I missed that scandal on all the news headlines.
    It’s simply a lie my friend. No hospital on the planet was overrun with patients in that age group.

Do you care to tell me what hospital it was? I’ll be able to get the official stats for it. I prefer to deal in facts rather than anecdotal fabrications.

Is this data public? I thought I had previously seen the hospitalisation breakdown by age, but I can't find it today.

I think I confused it with the report in hspc.ie, for example:-
    Underlying conditions in confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland, Report prepared by HPSC on 14/12/2020

This has a break down on the underlying conditions by total cases / total hospiatisation / total icu/ total deaths.

Edit: I found it in a 14 day report up to 6/2/21.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I played old head 3 times last summer.
    First time horrific weather the other 2 times blistering head and no wind. A magical experience. I think we paid about €125 for casual and €90 for a Gui comp.

Hopefully they do that again this year

Also played old head, was the first week in July and it was an absolutely cracking day. think we paid 130.

willabur wrote: »
    I was quoted 140 for second week in april for waterville
    Apologies, the 75e rate runs from November and ends on March 31st not early April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Played Old Head last September, 130 a head. We had a glorious day and it was a fabulous, unique experience made all the better with the great weather. Wouldn't hesitate in recommending at those sort of prices, not too sure I'd fork out 275 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

If I said you had a 4 hour window or reprieve from this current lockdown and could play any course in Ireland where would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Apologies, the 75e rate runs from November and ends on March 31st not early April.

fairways generally not in play. drop to either side

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Good to know, read a few anecdotal pieces online regarding when they do & don't lift mats in various places so I'll keep that in mind when we're free

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    If I said you had a 4 hour window or reprieve from this current lockdown and could play any course in Ireland where would it be?

I’d just play my own course

I’d just play my own course

Yeah if it was a me only reprieve, there would be far better craic in rubbing in the face of your fellow club members :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Ballybunion for me. Never played it and would love to play a links course again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

So not “overrun” as I said and that includes people from 50-65 which probably makes up the vast majority of that 48%.

Scaremongering from some would have you believe hospitals are bursting at the seems with people in their 30’s and 40’s though.

As I said making up lies to support his logical reasoning just doesn’t wash I’m afraid.

Do you want to give me your phone number and I'll get my neighbour who was in the ward to give you a call to explainn the situation?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Portmarnock or Adare for places i've never played i think. Carne, Enniscrone or The European for somewhere i have.
    golfguy1 wrote: »
    Hang on, that's a thing? I rarely hit the fairway anyway, but how can they not be in play?

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Ballybunion for me. Never played it and would love to play a links course again.

Yeah Ballybunion is hard beat. Played it 2 or 3 times. Cant wait to get back. This is a short non simulated shot by shot of each hole in Ballybunion to give you a feel for it. Only 12 minutes long. Needless to say every fairway and green was hit. Number 11 is a real eyecatcher along with the par 3 15th and par 4 17th. Something to whet the appetite and drive you demented in equal measure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPVpITKEkQY

• Advertisement

Personally it would be Tralee or Carne for me. Leaning towards Carne as I would defy the rules of my 4 hour reprieve and play the Kilmore 9 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

slingerz wrote: »
    There is the seasonality of the virus as well to consider which means it should lessen as we enter the later spring/summer.

When it comes to lockdown we are far more docile than other countries where it wouldn’t be tolerated. I can see us remaining in lockdown until after April.

Coupled with the improved weather & pressure to ramp up a vaccine program restrictions will have to ease. It wouldn’t remain politically tenable to stay in lockdown until June IMO
    GreeBo wrote: »
    What's this based on? I'm pretty sure the southern hemisphere have a covid issue for the last 6 months?

The chances on any government distinguishing golf from other sports is very low in my opinion.

I would have thought most would accept a seasonality component to this, I'm not sure what the motivation is to not see it as having the same seasonality effect as all similar viruses.

Here's a paper that highlights such.
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.09.02.20187203v3

I will do up my own correlation if I can get my hands on a dataset for the monthly breakdown of cases and deaths for Ireland.

I don't believe it's a coincidence that Australia and New Zealand see themselves as overcoming the virus during their summer months. I wouldn't be overdoing the self-congratulation in their shoes before they've even encountered a second winter during this pandemic (vaccination may make this point moot for them).

I would have thought most would accept a seasonality component to this, I'm not sure what the motivation is to not see it as having the same seasonality effect as all similar viruses.

Here's a paper that highlights such.
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.09.02.20187203v3

I will do up my own correlation if I can get my hands on a dataset for the monthly breakdown of cases and deaths for Ireland.

I don't believe it's a coincidence that Australia and New Zealand see themselves as overcoming the virus during their summer months. I wouldn't be overdoing the self-congratulation in their shoes before they've even encountered a second winter during this pandemic (vaccination may make this point moot for them).

The susceptibility of a virus to seasonality relates to what is referred to as an lipid "Envelope".

Like other viruses with a lipid envelope, SARS-CoV-2 is probably sensitive to temperature, humidity, and solar radiation; this affects its ability to persist on surfaces and in air, and might have subtle impacts on transmission.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-18150-z

The genetic material of some viruses is packaged not only in a capsid protein, but also in a membrane called an envelope, which is typically made of lipids. It interacts with host cells during the infection process and helps dodge immune attacks. Viruses with envelopes are more fragile and vulnerable to adverse conditions, Nathanson says, including, for example, summertime heat and dryness.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/why-do-dozens-diseases-wax-and-wane-seasons-and-will-covid-19

I haven't read many recent studies but in terms of structure, the virus meets the generally accepted criteria of a virus which would be susceptible to seasonality.

Jesus Wept.

Jesus Wept.

Coincidence?!

Coincidence?!

Her background is engineering so I'm not sure what her bona fides are with regards to environmental impacts of golf. Surely you could take aim many other things besides golf. 3 out of her first 4 points are practically the same. It is a rubbish article. RTE are scraping the bottom of the barrel. But it will be interesting when the Covid hysteria dies down to see the full scale mobilisation of hysteria around climate change. This agenda is coming down the track and fast. What interested me recently was seeing a report that had showed Ireland cut its emmissions by 6% in comparison to 2019. A paltry figure when you take into context just what kind of year we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

Just when you thought they couldn't go any lower....

Seriously what sort of editor allowed that muck to be put out there ? F--k me.

Don't pay the TV licence fee and watch their content. Hit them where it hurts. Simples

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

What a complete waste of the 2 minutes it took to realise that article was absolute bollox.

Advertisement