Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A fry-up in the morning. Is it unhealthy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

pinktoe wrote: »
    Personally, I think there is no place for beans in a good fry. Taking over the plate messing up the taste
    Beans are important imho. But don't like them mixed in with everything. If I'm out I ask for them on the side, usually get them in a ramekin

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

murpho999 wrote: »
    No, that's an English fry especially with YR sauce.
    I've never seen YR sauce in England, despite it apparently being short for Yorkshire Relish. It's made in Ireland too.

HP sauce was the only one I remember growing up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Flaccus wrote: »
    Actually there was 2 hash browns and 2 extra eggs but I had em scoffed before I took the pic :)

Yes, I wish I could do crispy rashers but always make a balls of it.

Fry everything except the rashers....do them under the grill for a lovely crispy rind

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Alun wrote: »
    I've never seen YR sauce in England, despite it apparently being short for Yorkshire Relish. It's made in Ireland too.

HP sauce was the only one I remember growing up there.

That's right, it's made in Donegal by Robert Roberts, they of the various coffee products and what-not. You're more likely to encounter HP sauce in Blighty, the "HP" stands for London's Houses of Parliament.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

dennyire wrote: »
    Fry everything except the rashers....do them under the grill for a lovely crispy rind

Feckin grill is bust :(

• Advertisement

Best white pudding is the one made by local butchers in Limerick and sold down the market Saturday morning.

Is hair now mandatory in a good fry, or is it a hairline crack on the plate.

LOL. I had to do a double take and go and check the plate. There is a couple cracks on it.

Whoa, no need to start throwing personal insults around just because you made a fry that only a, long haul, trucker could enjoy. The kind “served up” on a, late night, ferry crossing.

I believe a central “tenet” of this site is to attack the post and not the poster. Please adhere to this in future, you’re letting yourself down. Just like your fry.

Now look who is throwing the insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

For god sake, you should have cooked your food the way Emmet likes it, with undercooked sausages. Not the way you like it. Basic stuff here :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

See pinktoes post regarding beans.

Well I think anybody who don't trust beans on a breakfast plate is nothing more than a has-bean....see what I did there :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Cienciano wrote: »
    Beans are important imho. But don't like them mixed in with everything. If I'm out I ask for them on the side, usually get them in a ramekin

bender:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Cienciano wrote: »

I think beans are grand on the plate so long as:

a. It's a big plate

b. You have enough sausages to make a retaining wall to keep the beans from interacting with your crispy rashers, I don't want me rashers getting floppy!!

Then you're free to dip stuff into the beans at your own leisure.....happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,898 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Death to beans in a fry.
    And to all their supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Any fans of fried bread here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Start the rashers in a cold pan for crispiness apparently. Haven't tried it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭NSAman

There is NOTHING like an Irish Fry ... White Puddin’, Sausages (old superquinn...drool), rashers, Eggs, Big fresh loaf and loads of butter and a mug of tae!!!

I miss it SOOO much at the moment.

I ordered the irish Breakfast from irish goods online only to find out all made in the states and very disappointing......

First thing that is done upon landing in Dublin, Bewleys/open breakfast place.... dont care about the price, just want some decent food.

Second thing, CHIPS from Embassy Grill Ballsbridge.

Cant wait to get home again... mouth is drooling at the thoughts...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Please point out to me where I threw out any “personal” insults. Go on. Because I don’t see any.

I, merely, commented on, what I would consider to be, a terrible fry.

You, however, got all worked up and got “personal”. Which crossed a line and I, for one, think you should apologise now before a moderator spots this “rule” breach and punishes you accordingly.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Love it. The more grease the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Nordies love fried bread. Dripping in grease. They are a famously dour and bad-tempered group of people, but do seem to cheer up when they are stuffing their gobs with fried bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I tip my hat to you sir , fried bread is excellent.

I also believe any one who likes beans with their fry probably wears Crocs or sandals with socks and therefore should not be trusted in anyway.

• Advertisement

Post I was replying to appears to have disappeared, below was in response to a poster saying "its like using an oven"

Yeah but the airfryer makes a much better job of the these types of food and also is heated to 200C in 2 mins and ready to go. Gives a really crispy outside to food that you cant get with the oven, excellent for the breakfast type food being discussed here but also things like chicken wings and drunstick, nuggest and goujons etc. Its a revelation for oven chips and I discoverd its a nearly unbeatable way to cook steak. Also for doing roasted veg or potatoes its great.

Between the slow cooker and the airfryer the oven gets only a fraction of the use and the grill is basically redundant. The only thing that genuinely didn't come out well from it was lean chicken breast as it doesn't have enough fat.
    pinktoe wrote: »
    Anyone get crippling stomach pains from Clonakilty, Rudds, Shaw types pudding? Love them but have to avoid them.

Nope, I'd eat nearly a full chub of clonakilty black pudding every weekend and cant say I ever had an issue with it
    Kelly’s pudding from Newport, Co. Mayo is lovely stuff.

I dont get the love for it (or any of the kelly's stuff to be honest), people rave about it but I don't particularly like their black pudding I cant really put my finger on what it is about it I think its too salty or something. Clonakilty or roscarberry for me is miles ahead. A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It’s okay. I’ve had it in the UK where the bread is crisp and the bread isn’t actually hugely impregnated with oil. But I’ve tried it myself at home (usually when cooking an egg in the middle of the slice) and it was far too greasy. I’m not sure what the knack is.

Agree with those who say rashers need to be grilled rather than fried. Gotta get that fat crispy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I made myself a bit of a fry earlier and can't see how it was that unhealthy.. Half a teaspoon of olive oil. Onions. Garlic. Mushrooms. Cherry tomatoes. Slice of bacon. Scrambled eggs. Slice of brown bread toast. All cooked on a low to medium heat with a dash of fish sauce.

You always hear that fries are terrible but I'm not seeing it. I'm not overweight so don't care about some bacon, and the rest could be put into any "healthy" meal. The fish sauce has sodium but I only used a tiny bit.

Does the mantra that they're a heart attack on a plate come from them being cooked in loads of crappy oil or lard? I definitely made some very unhealthy ones in the past with tonnes of oil.

Fish Sauce.....on a fry.....for breakfast. STFU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Dream fry up = Onions, mayonnaise and egg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

That's a salad.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    That's a salad.

Thank me after you get it in a smoking hot frying pan x

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Thank me after you get it in a smoking hot frying pan x

A hot salad .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

That’s an egg mayonnaise and onion sandwich, dude. Not bits of processed pig meat fried in a pan.

A hot salad .

A sausage is 99% breadcrumbs, an egg is 100% protein.

• Advertisement

That’s an egg mayonnaise and onion sandwich, dude. Not bits of processed pig meat fried in a pan.

When you got a mouth full of hot egg, mayonnaise and onion you will thank me x

Advertisement