Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A fry-up in the morning. Is it unhealthy?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Right here's the ideal fry, and as a glutenous bóllóx I think I'm more than qualified to comment:

5 rashers (streaky, smoked and crispy, should be no bend in them!!)

3 white puddings (black is edible to but so is cyanide, so just stay away from it)

2 sausages (no major preference here, although controversially I love frankfurters)

2 fried eggs, prefer well fried but won't refuse a runny egg

1 hash brown

Large portion of well fried mushrooms

Large portion of beans

4 slices of toast, white or nutty brown bread will do fine, also don't mind soda bread

x6 7g portions of butter

x8 sachets of salt

Can of 7up or pepsi

So there yous go, the perfect breakfast. Yay or Nay?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,898 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

NSAman wrote: »
    There is NOTHING like an Irish Fry .....

I think you'll find that there are many things almost exactly the same as an Irish Fry.
    Ulster Fry
    English fry
    Scottish fry
    Welsh fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Get the unhealthy stuff done with at the start of the day, that way you'll have the day to burn it off.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Right here's the ideal fry, and as a glutenous bóllóx I think I'm more than qualified to comment:

3 white puddings (black is edible to but so is cyanide, so just stay away from it)

2 sausages (no major preference here, although controversially I love frankfurters)

1 hash brown

Large portion of beans

4 slices of toast, white or nutty brown bread will do fine, also don't mind soda bread

x6 7g portions of butter

Can of 7up or pepsi

Tae , wheres the tae ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I think you'll find that there are many things almost exactly the same as an Irish Fry.
    Ulster Fry
    English fry
    Scottish fry
    Welsh fry.

It's like comparing Protestant to Catholic holy communion. :)

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

Tae , wheres the tae ?

I have no issue with tae, in fact I like tae, way better than that coffee drivel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

I worked in ballsbridge on a building site for nearly 2 year up until last summer and I know all the good spots. The best fry is definetly found in the horse show house pub, it takes awhile so make sure have ya have an hour. Cafe Java though has the best omelettes on the planet and lovely staff that are worked to the limit, tip them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Is hair now mandatory in a good fry, or is it a hairline crack on the plate.

When I read that first I thought you meant hair on the bacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

1 hash brown

Large portion of beans

x6 7g portions of butter

x8 sachets of salt

Can of 7up or pepsi

The Tae is missing. And the YR sauce.
    Here is the standard Sonny Corleone from Tony's bistro in Cork. Over rated but 'cause I have the taste buds of a starving long haul trucker I scoffed the lot with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I worked in ballsbridge on a building site for nearly 2 year up until last summer and I know all the good spots. The best fry is definetly found in the horse show house pub, it takes awhile so make sure have ya have an hour. Cafe Java though has the best omelettes on the planet and lovely staff that are worked to the limit, tip them.

"Herb Street" on Hanover Quay has a very modern, hep-cat take on a fry-up - Italian sausage, Eggs Benedict, and all this kind of Anglican carry-on - but they use very good stuff, including black pudding, and I have to admit it is decent.

• Advertisement

Flaccus wrote: »
    Here is the standard Sonny Corleone from Tony's bistro in Cork. Over rated but 'cause I have the taste buds of a starving long haul trucker I scoffed the lot with ease.

I know it well, Tony's is a fabulous little caff. I've been going there for nearly 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

jimgoose wrote: »
    I know it well, Tony's is a fabulous little caff. I've been going there for nearly 25 years.

I just wish they did the larger jumbo sausages and the eggs were not so overdone. Nice enough though. Looks like they throw on a large tin beans every time. Hungry again now.

I just wish they did the larger jumbo sausages and the eggs were not so overdone. Nice enough though. Looks like they throw on a large tin beans every time. Hungry again now.

I hear you, they're heavy on the beans. The little Clonakilty ispíní are tasty, though.

Jaysus I wouldn’t let any sort of brown sauce into the same room as a fry, lashings of Coleman’s English mustard is a must though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Worked in Germany in the late 70s didn't find any of their sausages appealing TBH,
    Spent over 12 years (5 plus times a year) in Transylvania,
    All their sausages are of german ( Saxon) origin,and again not great,now the German bread is tops, liked their beer when o used take alcohol, but Irish sausage for me I'd number 1, alongside Clonakilty white pudding

They do have some great sausages here in Germany. Most people visiting probably only get those nasty things that are dished out in all the hotels for breakfast. They don't deserve to be called sausages.

My local butcher passed a way a while back, he made some fantastic sausages. He always did themed sausages around the world cups with ingredients from the different countries. There was nothing better than having some mates around to watch a game with some good beer and his bbq'd sausages. Going to really miss that next time round. :(

Jaysus she looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

1 hash brown

Large portion of beans

x6 7g portions of butter

x8 sachets of salt

Can of 7up or pepsi

Can of 7up? It's not a childrens birthday, it's a fry up. Tea is the only drink to have with it. And don't give me any of that coffee bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Jaysus I wouldn’t let any sort of brown sauce into the same room as a fry, lashings of Coleman’s English mustard is a must though!

You really play to your own beat, Nox.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Can of 7up? It's not a childrens birthday, it's a fry up. Tea is the only drink to have with it. And don't give me any of that coffee bollocks

Nah 7up goes great with a fry up (I'll also accept coke or pepsi), tea is grand but I prefer that with a sambo or just toast, as in 'tae and toast', had that this morning in fact, great job.

Agree on coffee, coffee is a disgrace.

No one's mentioned O'Flynn's sausages from Cork, a must in any fry up.
    Someone earlier mentioned that the fried tomato was not supposed to be eaten, what's the reasoning behind this?

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »

A big pot of tea, none of this one mug lark.

See this is the thing, you don't have to fanny about with which sauce to use if you just get beans with your fry, they are the sauce!!! Glorious, tasty little multi-tasking rascals :-)

Ps, brown sauce is ok on a breakfast roll/sandwich, colemans mustard is nice with a steak or ham sandwich but having it with brekkie is a new one for me.

I’d have thought mustard with a fry was common enough? Was always a thing in my family anyway and brown sauce was rarely ever seen.

I put a thick layer on my toast and then build it up with some of each ingredient, fold over and eat. Repeat that for each slice of toast. I eat very little if any of my fry not in bread, love eating it in toast. It’s one thing that annoys me getting breakfast/brunch out there is never enough toast to keep making small sandwiches with all the contents on the plate. I’d have 3 or 4 slides of large batch with my breakfast every Saturday and Sunday and go through a large jar of mustard every few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ablelocks

antix80 wrote: »

I'd also recommend substituting the bacon for a turkey rasher.

:eek:

that is just foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i've skipped from page 1 - 12 without reading the thread, maybe it's been said, but beans have no place in a breakfast fry

for a dinner fry though, perfect. especially over a birds eye waffle with soft-fried egg and melted cheese on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Seamai wrote: »
    A big pot of tea, none of this one mug lark.

I normally drink coffee, but with a fry up it just has to be Tae.

ablelocks wrote: »
    i've skipped from page 1 - 12 without reading the thread, maybe it's been said, but beans have no place in a breakfast fry

for a dinner fry though, perfect. especially over a birds eye waffle with soft-fried egg and melted cheese on top.

Tell you what, I never have a fry without beans and I'd take the shirt of any man's back who tried to stop me, bastárds!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

x8 sachets of salt

So how much salt do you use when you have chips?

pinktoe wrote: »

So how much salt do you use when you have chips?

Ah well I only use about 7 if it's a spicey bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Was always a thing in my family anyway and brown sauce was rarely ever seen.

I once asked if there was an brown sauce in a school friend’s house. His mother replied “No” before adding “we’re not common”.

I would have assumed sauce transcended the “class barrier” but apparently not.

Personally, I always work under the “rule” of ketchup with chips, sausages and burgers and then brown with rashers, pork chops and ham sandwiches.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement