Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A fry-up in the morning. Is it unhealthy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Flaccus wrote: »
    Just had an unhealthy fry for lunch. Full now for a few hours.

Hate it when the rind isn’t crisp. Nothing worse than that floury, whitish, jelly is stuck to a “leathered” piece of bacon.

You should be able to tear it off and eat it, not have it fall apart in your hand.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That looks good. Everything cooked perfectly. Get rid of the sauce and replace half the beans with 2 hash browns and an extra egg and you're sorted!

Hash browns are handy to do at home. Bag of them in the freezer and throw them in the oven. Not as good as the deep fried ones you get out, but nice all the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

i say cooked breakfast as we only fry the eggs everything else is grilled or more recently cooked in the air fryer.

My Mrs bought an airfryer. The dry wrinkly sausages that come out of it make me sad.
    I am like Mrs Doyle with her tea maker. Just waiting on an opportunity to destroy it.

Cienciano wrote: »
    That looks good. Everything cooked perfectly. Get rid of the sauce and replace half the beans with 2 hash browns and an extra egg and you're sorted!

Are you kidding?

Look at that poor excuse for white pudding, the dehydrated sausages, the “leathered” bacon, the excessive serving of vile beans and, to top it all off, the incredibly poor placement of the brown sauce. Why put it there? Now it’s just mixed in with the bean sauce.

That’s the sort of muck you’d get in Heuston station or a dreadful Kylemore “cafe”. A “hot lamp” fry.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Beans do not belong anywhere near a fry. Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Cienciano wrote: »

Hash browns are handy to do at home. Bag of them in the freezer and throw them in the oven. Not as good as the deep fried ones you get out, but nice all the same.

Actually there was 2 hash browns and 2 extra eggs but I had em scoffed before I took the pic :)

Yes, I wish I could do crispy rashers but always make a balls of it.

murpho999 wrote: »

I disagree. Plenty baked beans and especially nice covered in YR sauce.

Are you kidding?

Look at that poor excuse for white pudding, the dehydrated sausages, the “leathered” bacon, the excessive serving of vile beans and, to top it all off, the incredibly poor placement of the brown sauce. Why put it there? Now it’s just mixed in with the bean sauce.

That’s the sort of muck you’d get in Heuston station or a dreadful Kylemore “cafe”. A “hot lamp” fry.

You are talking out your arse. The sausages were lovely, maybe I slightly overcooked them but they were not dehyrdated. and the puddings were all I could get in tesco yesterday but were fine. Can't do crispy bacon on the electric hob I have. As for the brown sauce, that's the idea, you mix it with the bean sauce. Moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Outrageous statement, beans are the gravy of a fry, they make a good thing great :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Savage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭victor8600

Yes, I wish I could do crispy rashers but always make a balls of it.

May be use a larger frying pan and heat it up well before frying the rashers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Outrageous statement, beans are the gravy of a fry, they make a good thing great :-)

Sir , take that comment back.
    Beans should never be near a fry.Beans only go with toast , I.e. beans on toast.

Beans and a fry would be akin to expecting Mayo to win the All Ireland or your wife wanting to go fishing with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I disagree. Plenty baked beans and especially nice covered in YR sauce.

No, that's an English fry especially with YR sauce.

Chef for me all the way.

Beans are not fried, so don't belong on a fry. Simple rule.

No, that's an English fry especially with YR sauce.

Chef for me all the way.

I like both but HP or YR are my favorite. I'd even eat a catering sized tin baked beans cold out of the tin if it had a half bottle YR dumped into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Is hair now mandatory in a good fry, or is it a hairline crack on the plate.

You are talking out your arse. The sausages were lovely, maybe I slightly overcooked them but they were not dehyrdated. and the puddings were all I could get in tesco yesterday but were fine. Can't do crispy bacon on the electric hob I have. As for the brown sauce, that's the idea, you mix it with the bean sauce. Moron.

Whoa, no need to start throwing personal insults around just because you made a fry that only a, long haul, trucker could enjoy. The kind “served up” on a, late night, ferry crossing.

I believe a central “tenet” of this site is to attack the post and not the poster. Please adhere to this in future, you’re letting yourself down. Just like your fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Big fan of the Rudds white. That and eggs are my standard lock down breakfast

You should try Aldi's white pudding. Not the 79c shyte, the ballyvourney stuff. Its fab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Feisar wrote: »
    I don't believe it's the fat that is bad, it's the processed meat. What the hell is rusk anyway!?!

Regarding a poached egg, which is a beautiful thing in itself, if one is being health conscious there is no point in ordering a poached egg and then slathering yer toast in butter.

I thought we had moved past people thinking butter is the enemy. The bread is the worst part of this. Poached eggs wouldn’t be much healthier than a fried egg. Egg is wonderful in all forms, a little wonderfood. And fat is not the enemy in small amounts. Some people just prefer poached to fried.
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    My Mrs bought an airfryer. The dry wrinkly sausages that come out of it make me sad.
    I am like Mrs Doyle with her tea maker. Just waiting on an opportunity to destroy it.

Aye. The only way I cook sausages is fried. Grilling and oven-roasting turn them shrivelled and apparently so does airfrying. In the pan, they stay plump. I’m not the biggest fan of sossies but if I’m having them, it has to be fried all the way. And you don’t even need to use much oil. A teaspoon is enough. And my hubs LOVES sossies and feels the same: fried or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I'm hungry.!!

And as much tea and toast as you can eat. €9.50.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Wow, couldn’t disagree more. The airfryer is the best thing I’ve ever bought for the kitchen by a distance. It’s used pretty much everyday and loads of stuff we used to do in the oven/grill now goes in the airfryer as it’s makes a better job and is faster.

I think it makes a savage job out of a breakfast too (incl sausages don’t find them dry at all) and is so handy as you can stick it on, turn things once and no other handling or watching.

Only fault I’d have it’s it’s size which is helped a little as I bought a shelf for inside it but I’d like one 3 times the size and when this one packs it in I’ll buy the biggest one available.

• Advertisement

Wow, couldn’t disagree more. The airfryer is the best thing I’ve ever bought for the kitchen by a distance. It’s used pretty much everyday and loads of stuff we used to do in the oven/grill now goes in the airfryer as it’s makes a better job .

She uses it every day too more is the pity. Wrinkly sausages, rotten chips.

If this keeps on I may even need to start cooking myself.

You may find that the people you are cooking for are not being entirely truthful.
    Actually are you my wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,655 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

My breakfast was 2 rashers, 3 sausages, black and white pudding and 2 poached eggs.
    It was maybe unhealthy but so delicious I might have the same again for my tea.
    No such a thing as a healthy death anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Homelander

I actually like sausages cooked in the oven, I like how the skin crisps. The rare time I make a fry, I do the sausages separately in the oven, pudding and bacon in the pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I find this british style breakfast that you people eat revolting tbh, poached eggs and some nice bread ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Sir , take that comment back.
    Beans should never be near a fry.Beans only go with toast , I.e. beans on toast.

Beans and a fry would be akin to expecting Mayo to win the All Ireland or your wife wanting to go fishing with you.

I stand 100% behind my statement regarding the imperative presence of beans to complete the perfect fry.

Ps, lets not get silly now, Mayo will never win the All-Ireland and one sure way of ruining a good fishing trip is to bring the wife along with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

A kick in the b0ll0cks. Is it painful?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Anyone get crippling stomach pains from Clonakilty, Rudds, Shaw types pudding? Love them but have to avoid them.

Hate the cheaper Denny Galtee puddings.

Personally, I think there is no place for beans in a good fry. Taking over the plate messing up the taste

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I stand 100% behind my statement regarding the imperative presence of beans to complete the perfect fry.

Ps, lets not get silly now, Mayo will never win the All-Ireland and one sure way of ruining a good fishing trip is to bring the wife along with you!

See pinktoes post regarding beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

There’s something desperately wrong with people who like beans with a fry. Or like beans in general.
    Even more perverse than people who like those tasteless triangle hash brown yokes that have creeped onto the fry plate in the past 15 years. Cheap auld shïte designed to bulk up the meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,655 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

pinktoe wrote: »
    Anyone get crippling stomach pains from Clonakilty, Rudds, Shaw types pudding? Love them but have to avoid them.

Hate the cheaper Denny Galtee puddings.

Personally, I think there is no place for beans in a good fry. Taking over the plate messing up the taste

Kelly’s pudding from Newport, Co. Mayo is lovely stuff.

Advertisement