Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,546 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

kona wrote: »
    Unfortunately when they are preoccupied with fluting about on how to assemble enough sycophants to cling to power, little things like that are flung to the side.
    Unfortunately until thats sorted out I cant see anybody in that group having the leadership or balls to make a call like that, could you imagine michael martin even trying to humm n haww his way through such a call.

Failing to choose the markets that are clearly in good shape for unrestricted passenger access is doing needless extra damage to our aviation sector now.

Someone is going to have to get the finger out and start making decisions here.

I agree with the previous poster the UK and US are banjaxed for now from our perspective but there are opportunities within Europe where we can remove quarantine requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Failing to choose the markets that are clearly in good shape for unrestricted passenger access is doing needless extra damage to our aviation sector now.

Someone is going to have to get the finger out and start making decisions here.

I agree with the previous poster the UK and US are banjaxed for now from our perspective but there are opportunities within Europe where we can remove quarantine requirement.

I would agree with that, some extra things to mitigate the risks too. However i fear while those markets are now looking good, as soon as they start letting the british out the game is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,219 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

kona wrote: »
    Unfortunately I dont think so, looking long term and the best interests of the country, the government would be reckless to allow foreign travel when there are so many ****shows still in effect. We are in a good place and we cant jeopradise it.
    This doesnt rule out some form of government intervention tho, which I think is inevitable in such a descision, but they are going to require a smaller aer lingus to make it workable.

The government doesn't have the ability to preclude the population as a whole from flying where they want - it would be an undue restriction on personal liberty. They have a 14 day self-isolation policy and IF they proceeded to make that mandatory (rather than advisory as it as at that moment) that would be about the most they could do. They could preclude airlines from flying in and out but they won't. People will go back flying from 1 July if not earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Is the Aer Lingus booking engine reliable ? For example there is a flight to Malaga on the 2nd of July and only 5 seats left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Malaga is selling well

5 left doesn't mean 5 left, it means 5 at that price but the fare looks close to the max fare so chances are its only 5 left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Marcusm wrote: »
    The government doesn't have the ability to preclude the population as a whole from flying where they want - it would be an undue restriction on personal liberty. They have a 14 day self-isolation policy and IF they proceeded to make that mandatory (rather than advisory as it as at that moment) that would be about the most they could do. They could preclude airlines from flying in and out but they won't. People will go back flying from 1 July if not earlier.

Of course they could stop whatever flights land in the country, which would end travel fairly sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

The intra EU "Air Bridge" system is a runner, as I said previously if things keep going the way they're going I'd have no qualms heading to the Canaries or the Med from probably August onwards subject to health advice, restrictions etc.

Unfortunately with our open border with the UK, I wouldn't blame other countries for putting restrictions on us travelling to their shores. I'm getting more and more livid with Trump and Borris for their own stupid antics and utterly selfish handling of things so far. My own income is extremely reliant on air traffic to North America, as are so many others on this forum in the aviation and tourism sectors in this country. Those two clowns are causing savage job losses in this country. How many A330s are Aer Lingus going to need for the foreseeable? Probably less than half the 15. Shannon is banjaxxed probably for 18 months at least. It's infuriating. The Orange Turd may have wiped out tens of thousands of Irish jobs for years.

Sorry, rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

HTCOne wrote: »
    The intra EU "Air Bridge" system is a runner, as I said previously if things keep going the way they're going I'd have no qualms heading to the Canaries or the Med from probably August onwards subject to health advice, restrictions etc.

Unfortunately with our open border with the UK, I wouldn't blame other countries for putting restrictions on us travelling to their shores. I'm getting more and more livid with Trump and Borris for their own stupid antics and utterly selfish handling of things so far. My own income is extremely reliant on air traffic to North America, as are so many others on this forum in the aviation and tourism sectors in this country. Those two clowns are causing savage job losses in this country. How many A330s are Aer Lingus going to need for the foreseeable? Probably less than half the 15. Shannon is banjaxxed probably for 18 months at least. It's infuriating. The Orange Turd may have wiped out tens of thousands of Irish jobs for years.

Sorry, rant over.

The air bridge talk is load of nonsense and just a delay tactic.

Countries such as Spain/Portugal/Greece want UK tourists and our “land border” will not be a problem.

Surge in cases in July and Government will have no option but to actually close borders and introduce mandatory isolation.

Air Bridges are not a solution and will have minimal impact if introduced.

Testing a sample of passengers per flight is probably a better way to contain but it wont happen.

HTCOne wrote: »
    How many A330s are Aer Lingus going to need for the foreseeable? Probably less than half the 15. Shannon is banjaxxed probably for 18 months at least. It's infuriating. The Orange Turd may have wiped out tens of thousands of Irish jobs for years.

EI need 5-6 A330-300 for a few months more on the Beijing CPE freight ops, so short term its not as bad as a it could be. But 2021 is going to be bleak unless the US gets its house in order, they got multiple issues

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

I've an Aer Lingus booking Dublin - Toulouse on the 25th of July. I have until the end of June to change dates for free or hope it gets cancelled and get a refund. I assume now that France has reopened that the flight will almost certainly go ahead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

TPMP wrote: »
    I've an Aer Lingus booking Dublin - Toulouse on the 25th of July. I have until the end of June to change dates for free or hope it gets cancelled and get a refund. I assume now that France has reopened that the flight will almost certainly go ahead?

All Toulouse flights are showing as sold out until mid August. To me that means it's likely it'll be cancelled soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭dzilla

Route wise is now a good time to book flights for next April? Las Palma's price is a bit saucy even on account of the mid term holidays was wondering do people see that going north or coming back down

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

IngazZagni wrote: »
    All Toulouse flights are showing as sold out until mid August. To me that means it's likely it'll be cancelled soon.

Thanks, I might gamble so and hope for the cancellation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

dzilla wrote: »
    Route wise is now a good time to book flights for next April? Las Palma's price is a bit saucy even on account of the mid term holidays was wondering do people see that going north or coming back down

Really hard to predict. I suspect forward bookings for some routes are out the door as people are gagging to get off the rock at this stage.

When a flight is selling well / nearly full, the prices don't go down at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭IQO

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Looks like Aer Lingus removed a bunch of flights last week for future bookings. I have an Amsterdam flight early July, no word on the cancellation yet but the flight (and time slot) is no longer bookable through the ticket search. Hope they give some clarity on the flight status soon, the one flight on that day that is still available (and probably operating) would be too early for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CornettoQueen

If a flight says 'sold out' it for sure means it won't be going ahead. Aer Lingus don't seem to be flying to places like Budapest, Krakow until middle of August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

If a flight says 'sold out' it for sure means it won't be going ahead. Aer Lingus don't seem to be flying to places like Budapest, Krakow until middle of August.

When will they formally cancel?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

IQO wrote: »
    Looks like Aer Lingus removed a bunch of flights last week for future bookings. I have an Amsterdam flight early July, no word on the cancellation yet but the flight (and time slot) is no longer bookable through the ticket search. Hope they give some clarity on the flight status soon, the one flight on that day that is still available (and probably operating) would be too early for me.
    From their social media it appears they are only confirming cancellations 3-4 weeks in advance (I got an email on June 1st regarding my booked flight on June 29th)
    The fact that they are still operating the early DUB-AMS bodes well, in that they will keep that flight going and may add another departure as they increase their schedule post July 19th. (Schedule is fixed up till 19th as thats as far as the flight crew roster runs)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

But 2021 is going to be bleak unless the US gets its house in order, they got multiple issues

I can tell you that isn't going to happen, everyone over here seems to have just decided that COVID isn't a thing anymore. Bars & Restaurants are almost as busy as they were pre COVID here in DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Tenger wrote: »
    From their social media it appears they are only confirming cancellations 3-4 weeks in advance (I got an email on June 1st regarding my booked flight on June 29th)
    The fact that they are still operating the early DUB-AMS bodes well, in that they will keep that flight going and may add another departure as they increase their schedule post July 19th. (Schedule is fixed up till 19th as thats as far as the flight crew roster runs)

When should flights on July 22nd be rostered for crew?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Frequency increases on all routes currently operating planned from 20 July, should be bookable at some point this week.

11 further European routes returning in addition to 1st July schedule additions planned from 20 July, plus a returning TA route.

Should be pointed out TA routes are focused on cargo, with the state the US is in we won’t see tangible pax demand return for many months and that’s the unfortunate reality.

Airbridges are definitely a route being persued to return the operation, governments will not have appetites to allow re-infection from banana states and airlines will have to operate within this framework.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CornettoQueen

When will they formally cancel?

Could be anywhere from three weeks before departure to the day before!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Jack1985 wrote: »

Airbridges are definitely a route being persued to return the operation, governments will not have appetites to allow re-infection from banana states and airlines will have to operate within this framework.

Absolutely. And we dare not reduce our 14 day general quarantine until Britain is more acceptable than it is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Phen2206

Absolutely. And we dare not reduce our 14 day general quarantine until Britain is more acceptable than it is at the moment.
    Do you mean to say you would keep a 14-day blanket quarantine for all EU countries until Britain has reduced it's CV levels?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's advice to self isolate, not quarantine. The only thing that has to be done by law is filling out the form. Anyone from Britain (or anywhere else) can enter the country from the North with out filling out any forms, never mind self isolating. Comparing the numbers crossing the border every day to the numbers actually entering via the airports, shows that it's nothing more than a form of security theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Not worthy of its own thread. Irish troops took an Ethiopian flight today bought for UN peacekeeping duties. Was this the regular ET flight or charter?

Are all the EI A330s doing the PEK run or would it not have made financial sense to run a 330 back to Ireland empty?

Or could they not have dropped the troops off in BEY and then flown on to PEK?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Is it Irish government or the UN that arranges those contracts? I know they used UTAIR, Privilege and Royal Jordanian in recent years. If it is arranged by Irish Government then it may have gone to tender quite a while ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

Not worthy of its own thread. Irish troops took an Ethiopian flight today bought for UN peacekeeping duties. Was this the regular ET flight or charter?

Are all the EI A330s doing the PEK run or would it not have made financial sense to run a 330 back to Ireland empty?

Or could they not have dropped the troops off in BEY and then flown on to PEK?

DUB-BEY-PEK-DUB would be considerably longer duty than DUB-PEK-DUB. Also factor in the BEY sector probably required a complement of cabin crew would then also have to transit through PEK to get home.

I'm not sure if there would be bureaucratic issues too with an Irish carrier wanting to fly BEY-PEK.

EI have enough A330's to cover the job if it was available to them, simple out and back

The UN I assume are the contracting body here, which would explain the exotic choices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Atlantic flights are starting to show higher pax numbers already.

Advertisement