Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You can keep that 30 degrees of sweat!

Met Error got today wildly wrong. It's been raining in Waterford since about 9 AM and is now brightening a bit (not sure if it's just a hole) whereas they were saying dry until the afternoon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Don’t think so, I am In Scotland a lot (not this year obviously). The weather is atrocious there

there can be a huge difference in temperatures between one part of Scotland and another during warmer interludes. South-eastern Scotland and sometimes north-eastern Scotland can do very well due to their easterly locations and long track of land to their south. Western Scotland as far as Glasgow is usually more like Ireland when it comes to cooler temperatures and rain during the summer. Eastern Scotland is often similar to us too but there are times like today and several days throughout the summer where their location helps to keep them dryer and warmer than us, particularly if there is a plume that heads northwards across England.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

They changed their forecast at 9pm news last night with forecast for lots of rain.

In fairness it was 21 degrees in Wicklow here this morning, beautiful sunshine+ like been abroad!

It has clouded over now + I'd say rain not far away. Still roasting here though despite the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I think Scotland, or the eastern part of it anyway, has had a nicer summer than most of Ireland. I'm fairly sure I remember I read they had their hottest June day on record in June (30.8c I think?). The Foehn effect helps boost temperatures there, I even notice this on the temperature charts.

At least they didnt have their hottest June day on record in July!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Gonzo wrote: »
    current temperatures across Ireland and the UK,

Many parts of the UK +14C warmer than most parts of Ireland.

temp_uk.png

FFS even the far north of Scotland is warmer. Very depressing chart that totally reflects how I feel about this summer.
    Roll on September with its Indian summer when everyone is back at school.

• Advertisement

17 degrees and cloudy in Cork City again at the moment. Pretty much the exact same as yesterday. More humid though.

You missed the incredibly heavy rain at about 8am. It absolutely lashed it. Fingers crossed it's dry for the rest of the day - we could do with it! Disappointing end to the month here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I am referring to Edinburgh, I lived there and the summers are awful. Dublin defo warmer from my experience. My friend lived in Edinburgh for 3 years and said the same, so much rain. Maybe you are referring to another part of Scotland, people in Edinburgh will tell you how awful the weather is, don’t even get me started with Glasgow
    there can be a huge difference in temperatures between one part of Scotland and another during warmer interludes. South-eastern Scotland and sometimes north-eastern Scotland can do very well due to their easterly locations and long track of land to their south. Western Scotland as far as Glasgow is usually more like Ireland when it comes to cooler temperatures and rain during the summer. Eastern Scotland is often similar to us too but there are times like today and several days throughout the summer where their location helps to keep them dryer and warmer than us, particularly if there is a plume that heads northwards across England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I know I mention Paris a lot but looks like it might hit 40 there today. To be honest I find that type of temperature awful. Give me 25-28 every day of the week

FFS even the far north of Scotland is warmer. Very depressing chart that totally reflects how I feel about this summer.
    Roll on September with its Indian summer when everyone is back at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I think Scotland, or the eastern part of it anyway, has had a nicer summer than most of Ireland. I'm fairly sure I remember I read they had their hottest June day on record in June (30.8c I think?). The Foehn effect helps boost temperatures there, I even notice this on the temperature charts.

You sure you didn't read the Daily Express? I don't remember any records set in June except for rainfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

I am referring to Edinburgh, I lived there and the summers are awful. Dublin defo warmer from my experience. My friend lived in Edinburgh for 3 years and said the same, so much rain. Maybe you are referring to another part of Scotland, people in Edinburgh will tell you how awful the weather is, don’t even get me started with Glasgow

I'm sure someone has statistics to back this up as it's a debate that keeps coming up.

The problem with the weather is that the exact same day and summer could be described differently by everyone.

I don't think the Scottish weather is that different to ours tbh. Maybe the East fares a bit better but I highly doubt people in Kerry or Donegal get better summers than the Scots.

How much sun and rain do Glasgow and Edinburgh receives on average each summer compared to Dublin and Galway, say, and what are the average temps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pad199207

Starting to brighten up again now as the front clears

Just as Met Erring said

Rain becoming patchy as it spreads East

Only lightning and 10.5mm in the last HOUR in Dunsany

People on here cautioned against some heavy rain in the East with some thunder (not me)
    Why not our national weather service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

compsys wrote: »
    I'm sure someone has statistics to back this up as it's a debate that keeps coming up.

The problem with the weather is that the exact same day and summer could be described differently by everyone.

I don't think the Scottish weather is that different to ours tbh. Maybe the East fares a bit better but I highly doubt people in Kerry or Donegal get better summers than the Scots.

How much sun and rain do Glasgow and Edinburgh receives on average each summer compared to Dublin and Galway, say, and what are the average temps?

Had a look and surprisingly Edinburgh is statistically drier than Dublin (704mm compared to 758mm in Dublin) and has pretty much the same amount of sunshine. Dublin is marginally warmer but on the whole they have very similar climates going by the stats.

Think I read before that parts of Eastern Scotland are amongst the driest in the UK as well because of the Highlands soaking up all the rain.

West coast though is probably an even more depressing version of our climate in Donegal. Glasgow has almost double the rainfall as Edinburgh even though they're just down the road from each other!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This warm shot was supposed to deliver a fairly decent day yesterday and decent first half of today in the east, it certainly didn't work out like that, yesterday was dull and damp and today mild and wet. Rain and thunder is clearing here now, hopefully it will dry out towards evening. Need to get the lawn cut but the grass has been saturated all week and it's overdue a cut at this stage.

This warm shot was supposed to deliver a fairly decent day yesterday and decent first half of today in the east, it certainly didn't work out like that, yesterday was dull and damp and today mild and wet. Rain and thunder is clearing here now, hopefully it will dry out towards evening. Need to get the lawn cut but the grass has been saturated all week and it's overdue a cut at this stage.

At least there was thunder and the rain was a little bit warmer this time

36C now in London, most parts of England now above 30C. High twenties in parts of Scotland too. Meanwhile here in Ireland we are in the teens.....

Funnily enough with all this talk about Edinburgh, they are having the same crap temperatures as us yet go north or south of Edinburgh and it's mid to high twenties.

Some UK Weather sites on twitter are hinting at very hot weather there in early to mid August

So more thunder here I guess....at least thats exciting

pauldry wrote: »
    Some UK Weather sites on twitter are hinting at very hot weather there in early to mid August

So more thunder here I guess....at least thats exciting

today can prove that Ireland and the UK can be worlds apart when it comes to weather. We may tap into that warmer weather if we're lucky but as usual we are on the very western extent of it with westerly winds so remains to be seen if we will get any of it and if we do will it last for more than 24 hours.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

today can prove that Ireland and the UK can be worlds apart when it comes to weather.

Heathrow reporting 36c atm!

Edit: Saw you reported that above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Seems England can get into the mid 30s most summers nowadays without the need firstly of a number of days of hot weather and bone dry ground.

• Advertisement

Billcarson wrote: »
    Seems England can get into the mid 30s most summers nowadays without the need firstly of a number of days of hot weather and bone dry ground.

it's far easier for them to get hot compared to us, it's not just because they are lucky or they are further east, they have very little sea to their south with a hot France to tap into quite easily. Warm southerly winds over Ireland just draws up Atlantic/Bay of Biscay/Sea air. When it comes looking for warm and dry weather we couldn't be worse positioned than we are with 1000+km of water on all 3 sides on the edge of Europe surrounded by the Atlantic.

it's far easier for them to get hot compared to us, it's not just because they are lucky or they are further east, they have very little sea to their south with a hot France to tap into quite easily. Warm southerly winds over Ireland just draws up Atlantic/Bay of Biscay/Sea air. When it comes looking for warm and dry weather we couldn't be worse positioned than we are with 1000+km of water on all 3 sides on the edge of Europe surrounded by the Atlantic.

Yes but even for there its unusual imo. It used to be the case of mid 30 temperatures in England being rare but its becoming more common even in a poor summer like this one which hasn't been great over there either. Seems to be a theme of many recent summers these short lived intense bursts of heat (as regards England,we missed out on the heat this time )which can sometimes challenge English heat records or beat them.

Heathrow shortly before 2pm recorded 36.8c, its 4th warmest ever day

37C now in London at Northolt and Heathrow. 38 and 39C just across the channel on the French coastline. 29C in parts of north-east Scotland with 30C not far from the Scotish and Welsh border regions.

37C now in London at Northolt and Heathrow. 38 and 39C just across the channel on the French coastline. 29C in parts of north-east Scotland with 30C not far from the Scotish and Welsh border regions.

Disturbing. Usually it took prolonged heatwaves for those kind of temps . Not anymore it seems

Gone from heavy drizzle to mainly clear blue skies in Kildare in 15 mins. Very warm now that the sun is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Average monthly sunshine totals in Glasgow:

average-sunshine-scotland-glasgow-uk.png

Compared with that of Claremorris (when it did record sunshine)

average-sunshine-ireland-claremorris.png

Pretty similar values during the winter months, but Glasgeee is actually sunnier, on average, than Claremorris during the warmer months, which tells you hell of a lot.

Source:
    https://weather-and-climate.com/

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    You sure you didn't read the Daily Express? I don't remember any records set in June except for rainfall.

I read something about June 2019 recently so could that be it (the warm spell at the end)? I'll need to find it. Or maybe I'm going crazy... I remember it being a Met Office tweet.

Edit: Just checked and I wasn't completely wrong... there was a 30.8c in Prestwick, Scotland in June but I'm not sure where I got the record being broken part from!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Temperature anomaly forecast for 18z this evening:

gmUe635.png

And for 24 hours later (tomorrow 18z)

a1HiSra.png

SE/E UK are always more prone to these brief but potent heat surges at this time of year but I do question the validity of Heathrow temps, as it does seem to record a lot of near or actual record breakers over the last decade when other regions in the UK do not when under the same air mass.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Was watching some of the practice sessions in Formula 1 in Silverstone. The track temperature was well above 50 degrees - air temperature well above 30. Mad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement