Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It's mad. Nice evening in Dublin though to be fair. It's one of those summers where you'd kinda wish we could move the island 1000km south

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's mad. Nice evening in Dublin though to be fair. It's one of those summers where you'd kinda wish we could move the island 1000km south

If it was me I would move us into the middle of the north Sea just north of the Netherlands. Colder winters with snow more often and definitely warmer and dryer summers and we would tap into some of those Spanish plumes much easier.

After this mornings thundery rain has cleared the sun has came out and it's feeling fairly pleasant if a bit on the breezy side, temperature 22C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It’s been a very nice day in Dublin, about 23 degrees and sunny with part cloud. Would take this every day of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Temperature anomaly forecast for 18z this evening:

gmUe635.png

And for 24 hours later (tomorrow 18z)

a1HiSra.png

SE/E UK are always more prone to these brief but potent heat surges at this time of year but I do question the validity of Heathrow temps, as it does seem to record a lot of near or actual record breakers over the last decade when other regions in the UK do not when under the same air mass.

The Heathrow met. enclosure is on the northern side of the field. With today's light southerly breeze it might be getting some of the hot air off the huge concreted apron area to its south, though it is a couple of hundred metres away.

Dropped pin
    Near London Borough of Hillingdon, UK
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/FcZ75P44GAeDmuKN9

This is the 15Z sounding from Cardington, to the north of London, more out in the Bedfordshire sticks. The surface temperature was 34.8. This sounding is very similar to many across the continent, with a well-mixed boundary layer extending up to near 800 hPa. The very straight temperature curve shows why adding around 15 degrees to the 850 hPa temperature (in this case 20 °C) on days like this gives an estimation of the max surface temperature.

521679.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Gonzo wrote: »
    If it was me I would move us into the middle of the north Sea just north of the Netherlands. Colder winters with snow more often and definitely warmer and dryer summers and we would tap into some of those Spanish plumes much easier.

With remote working increasingly being the norm I've actually been thinking about where the ideal climate is in Europe with the prospect of finding an employer who'd be ok with some stints abroad. Maybe an idea for a thread if I can be arsed making one later.

As for the weather here, turned out a nice enough afternoon with sunny spells and for a change it's warm enough for a t-shirt. Hopefully a rare summer-like evenings ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Ideal Europe climate is Nice in France, most months between 25-30 degrees. Reminds me of Southern California. Never those horrible temps between 35-40 but frequently around 30. Ideal climate and it rarely rains

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

37.8C reached earlier today in London at Kew Gardens. Looks like it's going to warm up in the UK again later next week but probably not as hot as the crazy heat they had today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I really do think a distinction should be made between the 'UK' and the SE Corner of England.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Somebody on UKWeatherworld brought up this interesting point:
    Hard to imagine but the old records for July now look a bit silly. July 2006 saw the old record finally broken in Wisley? That record of 36.5c on the 19/07/2006 has now been broken three time in 5years which I find utterly staggering. Also suggests heatwaves are generally becoming shaper and more biased towards the south east. Despite the repeated recent records the last time Bournemouth officially reached 32c/90f was the day of the wisley record in 2006, 32C happened regularly in 1989/90/94/95/2003/06 here i.e. on those really hot days in times gone past when London would max out 32-34C we'd usually get 31-32C here, something has defo changed.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/124365-temperature-watch-friday-31st-july-2020-will-it-be-the-warmest-of-the-year-warmest-of-the-summer/page__st__75

The frequency of southerlies perhaps the reason why Bournemouth on the south England coast has had that. Every time I look at many of those 2006 and prior summers, they seem to have had a higher frequency of easterlies compared to the summers we see these days (except May to July 2018 whilst July 2013 was more variable and anticyclonic). I don't have any solid evidence to prove this though than just mere observation. Maybe why there's so many comments about summers being better back then despite some stinkers like 85 and 86, besides the whole nostalgia thing.

As for the weather here, turned out a nice enough afternoon with sunny spells and for a change it's warm enough for a t-shirt. Hopefully a rare summer-like evenings ahead

About 5 minutes after posting it clouded over and we're right back to miserable misty rain all evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Very nice evening in Dublin 5, plenty of sunshine. Hopefully August brings nice weather after the disappointing weather we've had this month and in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Max temperature at Heathrow was 37.8 °C, with 36.8 °C at nearby Northolt. This chart shows the proximity of inland southeast England to the heat of the continent.

Where I am now to 38.1 °C, but inland several agrimet stations got to above 42 °C.

521700.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Ideal Europe climate is Nice in France, most months between 25-30 degrees. Reminds me of Southern California. Never those horrible temps between 35-40 but frequently around 30. Ideal climate and it rarely rains

I'd be more comfortable in an eastern European environment as they tend to get what we might call 'seasons'. Anywhere between Vienna and Moscow (or beyond) would be ideal and where passing cold fronts in the summer, for example, regularly bring weather like this. (approaching storm in southern Belarus in 2012)

New Moon

Well all I can say is bye bye to July 2020. My least favourite July I have observed. It's a 1/10 chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

This summer so far is more akin to what the likes of Rockall gets:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Well all I can say is bye bye to July 2020. My least favourite July I have observed. It's a 1/10 chief.

I'd have to agree with you there. Id say roll on August only I know August is often crap + honestly I don't think anyone will be able for August we got last year, repeated this year especially with crap June aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Love all the 'It's a nice evening' type comments.

Let's be honest, it's all turd polishing, thats all it is.

Pity we should be happy about having a nice evening at the end of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Not that nice an evening in Cork City. About 15 degrees, cloudy and there was a bit of a brief shower. Cloudy all day bar maybe an hour or two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

You are being generous.

You are being generous.

You can say that again. If we didn't get the "improvement" which admittedly wasn't that desirable, it would still be in the negative digits for me.

All the marks for a very poor month were met, cooler than average, wetter than average and duller than average.

At least June had some fantastic individual days and a half decent storm in comparison to this atrocity.

• Advertisement

I think July 2020 is getting a big fat 0 from myself. One of the worst summer months I can ever remember and the fact we couldn't go overseas makes it all the worse. Definitely up there with 2007 and 2012 if not worse.

The temperature was basically 12C-15C for the first half of the month and it rained daily, often for more than 12 hours at a time! Second half of the month improved but not by much, got slighter warmer and we may have had a few unconfirmed reports of sunshine in the past few days! The temperature rose above 20C a few times in the east and south, but i'm sure several places in Ireland struggled to get past 18C at any stage this month. I thought June 2019 was dire, but it was a peach compared to this month.

August can only be an improvement, at least in terms of temperature. Even September could be dryer and warmer than July. I still have hopes up for at least one nice week before the Autumn kicks in properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Its mad to think that our hottest day of summer this year was in June + (very early June at that) rather than July.

Unless by some miracle it comes in August but I doubt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

And wet in Cork City. Seems to be the best way to end July, the same way as it started

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

133mm here in Roscommon for July. Only 7 dry days.
    That's more rain than we got for the entire spring - March to May! Really making up for the dry spring now. Surely August will have a bit more settled weather in store.

Today's max temperatures:

txint_uk.png

A +20C difference between western/southern Ireland compared to London and the south-east of England. London reached 37.8C while western Ireland was doing well to reach 18C.

We got to 20C in quite a few places today which is about average for the end of July or maybe a degree above but it did get to 23C in Dublin today once the rain cleared.

The heat in the UK today does raise a few questions.

Is the maximum temperature at Heathrow over the top considering all the heat from tarmac and airplanes. The surrounding areas are usually cooler by 1 to 3 degrees. A similar situation to our Shannon airport perhaps.

If today's heat in the UK had been maintained for a few days rather than just 1 day, would London have reached 40C tomorrow or on Sunday? I think it would have if the temperature readings at Heathrow is truly accurate and does not take into account extra heat generated by tarmac.

These heat plumes usually happen once to twice per summer in London but more recently they are getting over 36c with these spikes, whereas back in the 80s, 90s and early 2000's they would be getting more excited over reaching 33 or 34C.

Here in Ireland these heat spikes are far more rare, probably more like once every 5 years where we might scrape 30 or 31C in one or two rural townlands. Even when we do get heat spikes, there is usually an easterly sea breeze which lowers the predicted temperature over much of the country, or a southerly which just drags up lots of sea air across the country. Heat records seem to get broken now every summer in the UK, meanwhile in Ireland we are struggling to break our own heat records which go back over 100 years.

Our really poor location for summer warmth or heat requires several days of warmth from a proper Azores high with the perfect flow of wind with minimal sea track to sustain for a few days to even reach 30c, you have to wonder is it even possible for us to ever beat our ancient 33C all time temperature record.

And wet in Cork City. Seems to be the best way to end July, the same way as it started

I think you're buying into the melancholy a bit too much on this thread! Or else you slept through all the nice weather!!!

It was actually a very dry month up until the 27th of July. We were running at less than half the mean to that point.

Then we got 18mm on the 27th, 26mm on the 29th and 13mm yesterday to totally skew the rainfall total for the month and give a very distorted picture of the weather we had.

Very similar to some of the months we had during the lockdown when we had long dry periods and then some very wet days.

Overall, July wasn't bad at all and relative to the rest of the country we got away with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Waited for the “there is still 33% of summer left yet “ posts
    It’s been a disaster from almost the very start (apart from first weekend in June)
    A week or two in August won’t save that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Saturday, 1 August, 2020

Forecasts for Ireland

Although next weekend will somewhat resemble this weekend, there won't be as much cloud or rain involved then a stronger high will develop by around Monday 10th, lasting for a few days, so there could be a decent summery interval then with highs reaching low 20s.

Shaking with excitement.
    If this doesn't happen I might just have a mental breakdown. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

August starting off where July left off here. About 10 seconds of actual sunshine (about an hour ago) so far this morning despite the 'brighter', broken cloud type (Sc)

New Moon

• Advertisement

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Shaking with excitement.
    If this doesn't happen I might just have a mental breakdown. :pac:

It's always next week though.

Looks like we might escape with at least a useable bank holiday weekend, cool and grey this morning but at least it's dry and calm for now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement