Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R TT....Round 2 - 1 mile TT, Saturday May 30th *** please read post #1 ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I'm just asking this for a friend....lets call him Groundskeeper Willie.

He has never raced anything approaching this distance. What should he do as a warm up for this TT?
    I would treat it like any short fast session with maybe 4km warm up, then activations, drills, and finish off with some progressive strides with the last few at your target pace to get you in the rhythm
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    What's the shortest distance above a mile you have raced? If the best estimated mile was done during a 5 or 10K race or as part of a session then you have plenty of scope to improve on 5:11....
    That 5:11 was the last mile of Rathfarnham 5km last year. My shortest distance is a mile but I raced it as a turnover session last year on road completely raw with no no mile speed work and went way too hard for the first 600m and suffered the last km finishing in 5:12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

If you can run 5.11 in a 5k I'd expect you to run a lot faster than that, add on top of that we get to pick our own course

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

IvoryTower wrote: »
    If you can run 5.11 in a 5k I'd expect you to run a lot faster than that, add on top of that we get to pick our own course

Do you not remember the last mile in Rathfarnham - like falling off a cliff.......

there you go MYBAD - covering your a$$.............

I've ran it twice, 5.11 is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

MY BAD wrote: »

That 5:11 was the last mile of Rathfarnham 5km last year. My shortest distance is a mile but I raced it as a turnover session last year on road completely raw with no no mile speed work and went way too hard for the first 600m and suffered the last km finishing in 5:12

I know we're not comparing like with like but my fastest mile in a 5k before tackling 3 mile races in 4 weeks last year was 6:11...for the first one I thought 6 mins was a fair target but ran 5:50, next two were both 5:42. A huge chunk can come off your 5k mile.....even if AMK has given you an escape door...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Only 2 more sleeps :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

Strava elevation confuses me...elevation profile from a 5k jaunt today...how is this a 2m elevation gain??

I'm clearly misunderstanding something..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Strava elevation gain only counts the uphill sections. Even on a downhill there's usually parts that are slightly up i.e. those "uphill" peaks in the elevation screenshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Strava elevation gain only counts the uphill sections. Even on a downhill there's usually parts that are slightly up i.e. those "uphill" peaks in the elevation screenshot.

That's bonkers..so no sense of net elevation gain loss. Every days a school day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,428 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

crisco10 wrote: »
    That's bonkers..so no sense of net elevation gain loss. Every days a school day.

Yep. Strava elevation gain is basically meaningless It’s yet another useless interpretation of something that may or may not be of interest to cyclists, strava’s original audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Only 2 more sleeps :D:D:D

Or one for the over anxious among us. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ByrneDCMbrian

Evening folks looking forward to sat havent done a tap over the last 2 weeks as tonsillitis hit me. So I'll give it a lash on Saturday oh I'm 37 for the age

Here's the last table which can be changed. Final changes need to me made by 7pm Friday. After that we will post the final table of entries. Please check that your details are correct and let us know if not.

Yaboya, Zebra3 and Crazy Fred are not currently in the Strava Group. Results will be compiled from the Strava group only.

We will tidy up the Strava group so that only those listed here are included.

Name |Cat |Prediction|Actual|AG|Adjusted|Sandbag Factor
    career move|F38|6:30||||
    py|M37|6:30||||
    shotgunmcos|M42|5:40||||
    Crisco10|M34|5:30||||
    DeepBlue|M49|6:16||||
    coogy|M47|5:30||||
    Dubh G|M37|4:59||||
    tbukela|M37|6:05||||
    MisterJinx|M43|5:30||||
    TFBubendorfer|M50|5:59||||
    KSU|M31|4:59||||
    MrMacPhisto|M38|5:01||||
    Pherekydes|M60|9:00||||
    woody1|M44|5:50||||
    IvoryTower|M37|4:48||||
    mister paul|M44|5:45||||
    Murph_D|M59|5:54||||
    Zebra3|M44|6:48||||
    Itziger|M54|5:30||||
    Skyblue46|M53|5:42||||
    FBOT01|M50|5:42||||
    diego_b|M38|6:00||||
    OOnegative|M42|5:20||||
    togram|M46|5:59||||
    jamule|M45|4:59||||
    Swashbuckler|M38|5:15||||
    66_lad|M40|4:58||||
    ReeReeG|F34|5:59||||
    Laineyfrecks|F42|6:05||||
    MY BAD|M38|4:59||||
    EnPassant|M59|6:25||||
    quick feet|M38|5:15||||
    spc78|M42|4:56||||
    ariana|F43|6:45||||
    MrSkinny|M48|6:15||||
    yido1882|M34|5:50||||
    Lazare|M44|5:50||||
    MisterDrak|M53|5:55||||
    gucci|M37|5:29||||
    justdoit|M39|5:52||||
    Djemba Djemba|M36|5:10||||
    Lambay island|M39|4:59||||
    Scotindublin|M42|5:29||||
    jackc101|M37|7:00||||
    slow_runner|M45|5:47||||
    Ecoenergy|M45|5:45||||
    Kurt Godel|M49|5:55||||
    JemsD|F37|8:00||||
    Duanington|M40|5:20||||
    blackbird86|F37|7:59||||
    Diablo Verde|M39|5:09||||
    Omeceron|M39|6:30||||
    ClashCityRocker|M35|4:59||||
    lenny palmer|M47|7:00||||
    pansophelia|F40|7:31||||
    nop98|M47|6:00||||
    the descent|M|5:10||||
    Comic book guy|M40|5:30||||
    Strawberry Swan|F40|7:50||||
    simonw|M33|6:15||||
    Ferris B|M52|5:43||||
    passinginterest|M37|7:15||||
    snailsong|M50|5:45|||||
    ThebitterLemon|M53|6:40|||||
    Tipptatlers|M30|6:15|||||
    Krusty_Clown|M45|5:15|||||
    BeepBeep67|M53|5:15|||||
    Alorra|M37|6:30|||||
    Treviso|M40|5:05||||
    outforarun|M47|5:34||||
    laura_ac3|F35|7:44||||
    yaboya1|M38|5:41|||
    Sheep1978|M41|5:29||||
    Classic21|M41|5:35||||
    Hannibal_Smith|F43|10:20||||
    ultrapercy|M45|4:59||||
    LastFridayNight|M47|6:10||||
    Hedgehoggy|F37|6:12||||
    eyrie|F36|6:45||||
    Sussex18|F40|6:40||||
    internet_user|M25|6:50||||
    healy1835|M39|5:45*||||
    ByrneDCMBrian|M37|6:50||||
    Damo2k9|M25|5:15||||
    annapr|F55|8:29||||
    Singer|M|5:59||||
    lulublue22|F44|8:30||||
    Younganne|F48|7:59||||
    ahnowbrowncow|M32|4:59||||
    CR 7|M31|5:30||||
    Crazy Fred|M44|5:15||||
    sdevine89|M30|7:29||||
    Annie get your Run|F49|8:44||||
    Paulie Yifter|M47|5:35||||
    denis_b|M57|6:22||||
    Speedy44|M54|5:40||||
    GCastelli|M40|5:40||||
    DelDonut83|M36|7:00||||
    ImportMeHappy|M41|5:45||||

Thanks again for your patience folks...smile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

And to put it more harshly. From Friday evening, if you're in the table and not on strava you don't exist! Or if you're not in the table but are on the strava group you'll cease to exist. Best of running everyone! Looking forward to the tales of woe (myself included)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

And to put it more harshly. From Friday evening, if you're in the table and not on strava you don't exist! Or if you're not in the table but are on the strava group you'll cease to exist.

You used to such a pleasant fella till you went into cahoots with yer man!!!

Edit: Second time I have had to ask to have my age readjusted!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote:
    You used to such a pleasant fella till you went into cahoots with yer man!!!

I'm easily led astray. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Proper taper madness here yesterday. Irritable as fook, thought I had the Rona at one stage.

Hope today is less miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Thats the anticipation C! I was chatting with Outforarun on Tuesday and he was already stressing!

Going to be an early attempt for me......this warm weather doesn't agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Getting nervous now. :D

Ran a 1200m TT on my course on Wednesday. Hoped to go close to 6 mins, which was ambitious considering my aim was 9 mins. Did 5:44, and jogged the remainder for a full mile time of 8:43. Sandbagging title is already mine. :pac:

I'm ready...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Put it down as lock down madness a month ago, delusion about my own ability or just pre-game day nerves, but the time i put down is so hilariously unachievable.

Oh well i am sure i can burst a blood vessel in my eyes trying to get as close to it as i can!!

I plan on an early run so that will help everyones confidence once they see how i perform.

Good luck tomorrow everyone, stay safe and remember its supposed to be fun........right? :D

• Advertisement

Dont worry about your predictions, they only serve to spot sandbaggers

Why is it called sandbagging?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I could be talking rubbish but my understanding was sand bags are used to block Storms etc. Sandbagging is the art of blocking your true potential :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Your prediction is what you'd achieve running with a sandbag on your shoulder.

That's my interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I could be talking rubbish but my understanding was sand bags are used to block Storms etc. Sandbagging is the art of blocking your true potential :confused:

I think its to do with an old system of cheating the handicap system in horse racing. Adding extra weight to to hamper performance thus recieving a more favourable handicap in future races? Not 100% on this one though.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I think its to do with an old system of cheating the handicap system in horse racing. Adding extra weight to to hamper performance thus recieving a more favourable handicap in future races? Not 100% on this one though.

Taken from the weapon of choice of early muggers, a bag/sock filled with sand. Then it moved to being a term to describe mugging someone in a bet by underplaying your hand or ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I'd never investigated it before but had assumed during training someone would run with ankle weights (which would be filled with sand), or a sand filled vest, and set a time based on that as their best time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Lazare wrote: »
    Your prediction is what you'd achieve running with a sandbag on your shoulder.

That's my interpretation.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Taken from the weapon of choice of early muggers, a bag/sock filled with sand. Then it moved to being a term to describe mugging someone in a bet by underplaying your hand or ability.

I'd never investigated it before but had assumed during training someone would run with ankle weights (which would be filled with sand), or a sand filled vest, and set a time based on that as their best time.

Keep those definitions coming guys, this is exactly the sort of distraction we need!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I think I am the reverse I have added at least one sandbag in weight since the original prediction!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I think I am the reverse I have added at least one sandbag in weight since the original prediction!

Yeah I'm wondering what it's called when you are slower than your predicated time...

Optimistic maybe:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Yeah I'm wondering what it's called when you are slower than your predicated time...

Optimistic maybe:D

Grandbragging?

Advertisement