Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R TT....Round 2 - 1 mile TT, Saturday May 30th *** please read post #1 ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

This is definitely the drinkiest TT I've seen

I'll raise a glass to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

This is definitely the drinkiest TT I've seen

Its the pre Mile Beer rather than the beer mile...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

0.84 on the watch is 200m to go

Top tip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

IvoryTower wrote: »

Top tip

I'd love that to be the distance on the watch the first time I look at it in desperation....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I'd love that to be the distance on the watch the first time I look at it in desperation....

That's the dream...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Stop! :pac:

*Boards needs a barf smiley*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

You won't be in any desperation if you plan jogging to a 5:30 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yeah I'm wondering what it's called when you are slower than your predicated time...

Optimistic maybe:D

Windbagging?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭LastFridayNight

Best of luck to everybody today, here’s hoping we all bring home a big swag of new PBs all round!

2 bottles of wine, 5 hours broken sleep, nothing 200mg of caffeine cant sort

No wind out there ,looks like we're on our own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Must have been party central in St Annes Park last night/ this morning. Plenty of gardai in the Park this morning clearing out the remnants of the revellers.

Got cautioned for running too slow on the main avenue;)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

Ferris B wrote: »
    Must have been party central in St Annes Park last night/ this morning. Plenty of gardai in the Park this morning clearing out the remnants of the revellers.

Got cautioned for running too slow on the main avenue;)

Yeah I spotted a few squad cars around and was wondering what was happening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Some great times coming in already. We have our first sub 5 of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Early start here to avoid the heat: 6:18.87 on the Kilbogget 'flat' mile loop at 7 AM. Was really hoping to at least get inside the predicted 6:15 but it's another painful reminder of just how much worse my current fitness is compared to last year.

Ah that's great news, nobody has wanted it more! Well done dubh

Yeah I spotted a few squad cars around and was wondering what was happening

I got out in time before they arrived!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

6:01

A tad disappointed in it if honest.

That mile pain is some craic wha?

Some guy rounded the corner at the end and said he thought there was a wounded animal :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

This wannabe crack commando unit had a mile of misfortune :pac: . Up until this week I was really feeling great and hoping I might be around the 10-10.10 mark, but the McMillan calculator doesn't lie... Well in this case it lied in the wrong direction :mad: :pac: The aim was 10.20, but I got 10.30 :o

Without wanting to be too diva about it, I genuinely was sluggish all week and Thursdays run went so bad I was going to quietly slip away here. But sure its only a bit of craic ;)

This morning warming up the breathing was really too laboured again and sure enough didn’t get any better when the mile started :eek: Every time I felt sluggish I tried to pick it up, but there was nothing there.

I'm not sure whether it was something wrong in the system still or whether I handled this week wrong running wise or if I just didn't have enough fitness for what I wanted. But I'm disappointed for sure.

I'm glad I did it though. The feeling of doing it and not doing well isn't as bad as the feeling if I hadn't tried at all. This time 4 weeks ago if I'd ran a mile for 10.30 I'd have been chuffed with myself so I'll take that :D

Funnily enough I had a dream last night I was singing Mid Life Crisis at the top of my lungs at the front of a FNM concert - the absolute irony of that! :pac:

Thanks Swashbuckler and Skyblue for organising it, it was a great distraction. Fair play to those who have done it already, the results in the strava group so far are so fantastic! Good luck all those yet to run!

I'll go find the link to the charity and donate now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Some fantastic times already. I admire athletes who can knock out a mile TT in the early morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

GPS nightmare for me. Might try this evening or tomorrow. Already on the warm up with CrazyFred and Giuseppe my watch was a good bit out. Then we turned round and jogged back to the 'start' line and the GPS was much better, only 10 or 20 metres out.....

Anyway, off goes Fred, the fastest of us and he comes home in 5.11 or so, not bad for 44 years old with not much training. Giuseppe bagged himself a 5.30 which is a bit faster than he was hoping. A minute later I start. First 400, hmmmmm, 1.27 (5 secs off target, a lot.) Next 400, 1.38 FCUK this...... third 400..... now it's getting kinda funny 2.16 or something and I'm nearly up to where the boys are waiting for me!! I pass the big tree 'finishing line' and stop the watch. 1.27kms and 5.38 or something. Unmitigated disaster. I knew the watch was getting sketchy of late but did it have to pick today for its worse ever performance.

Actually, it's unlikely I'll have another go tbh. Might try a track Mile next week instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Big congrats to the sub 5 people. Do I hear that Dubh G managed it? Well done, fella.

Think this was my earliest ‘race’ ever. 5:52 at 6:26 AM. Happy with that. No hope of the sandbag title - only 2 secs under the prediction. Didn’t look at the watch at all - no glasses anyway! Very nice to be back in St. Annes. Don’t remember ever seeing it so parched looking though. :(

Murph_D wrote:
    Think this was my earliest ‘race’ ever. 5:52 at 6:26 AM. Happy with that. No hope of the sandbag title - only 2 secs under the prediction. Didn’t look at the watch at all - no glasses anyway! Very nice to be back in St. Annes. Don’t remember ever seeing it so parched looking though.

Looks like Lambay wins the early riser award... No surprise there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭crisco10

Knew there would a few sub 5s - fairplay folks!

Had a lovely morning in marlay park, relaxed warmup apart from mild panic that gates were all shut and started thinking of alternative routes. Since when does the park only open at 8am? Was in there on Weds at 730 no problem.

Anyways back to the mile, 5:36 so missed my target by 7secs. :-( was my first ever mile effort and I just didn't run hard enough. I was pleasantly surprised and felt the 1km mark came easy and then was far from hanging on at the end.

A mile tt is just over so quickly. Takes a lot of getting used to. I'm a bit gutted at not fully rinsing myself but that's what happens when your try something new! I really just wanna try again now.

Enjoyed the company with ReeRee on warm Up and cool down too, was nice to chat and run for a change.

Thanks for organising, really enjoy race day in here. It's a great focus in these "general drift" covid times.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

6.43 ... a bit outside my target.

My course was up and down the main avenue in St Anne's park - it was fairly quiet at 8.25 this morning.

Thanks for organizing - it was my first ever attempt at the mile distance!

crisco10 wrote:
    A mile tt is just over so quickly. Takes a lot of getting used to. I'm a bit gutted at not fully rinsing myself but that's what happens when your try something new! I really just wanna try again now.

I'm not opposed to second attempts today incase that's an option for you. Shur AMK had planned on three attempts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

My missus' birthday yesterday was badly timed, so that's my excuse out of the way early on. So I didn't get out as early as planned, and it wasn't the ideal preparation.

4:59 ... is what I would have run 5 years ago. I think. This time round I had to make do with 5:56, but since this is my fastest mile in over 2 years (2 seconds faster than the 2018 GOAL mile, whoopee) I'll take it. Not as if I had a choice anyway, I'm not doing that sh*t again!
    IvoryTower wrote: »

Top tip

0.18 on the watch was when I did my first look in desperation :eek: Oh My God!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

5.03 for me. I'm happy with that. My prediction of 4.59 on the table was a always a long shot but sure it sounded good. I felt a little disappointment though, as I wasn't in a heap on the ground trying to catch my breath afterwards. I had blown up 3 times by halfway one morn in April trying to do a TT over this distance so going out too fast was my main worry. I probably went out too slow today as a result. Ultimately, It's the first time I recorded a time over the mile and its far better than what I though I was capable of a few months back. :) Beer me!

P.S.

Thanks to the two gents for organising it- Suberb effort. One has also come in with a great PB already, no pressure Swashbuckler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

I'm not opposed to second attempts today incase that's an option for you. Shur AMK had planned on three attempts

I swear this is not my plan. As things go won’t get out till late as per usual.

Still dunno how people get up for race efforts so early. Been up 4 hours and still couldn’t contemplate racing yet. Some great efforts so far fair play

Advertisement