Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Brand names whose products are way overrated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

That chip shop in Cork.
    It's supposed to be famous and fantastic.
    I forget it's name but twas pretty shyte imo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

cj maxx wrote: »
    That chip shop in Cork.
    It's supposed to be famous and fantastic.
    I forget it's name but twas pretty shyte imo

Lennoxs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ozmo

Hersheys chocolate, vaguely chocolate flavoured slabs of lard suitable for army rations.

Horrible stuff - the story goes, yonks ago the milk arrived sour - not wanting to waste it they used it anyway - people got used to the taste - to this day they make it with a process that emulates this sour milk taste.

Quick search and its in the sun so it must be true :pac:
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2248773/this-is-why-american-chocolate-tastes-so-revolting/

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Boeing since the McDonald Douglas takeover and outsourcing lots of software.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

Tesla. They go well but crikey they are horribly built. They also look awful. Owners are mainly idiots.

They are designed to be made by robots but are mostly made by hand by underpaid workers. I'd say lots of loose nuts and bolts in them. Electric engines don't work if they are sitting on the road under your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Homelander

Hersheys chocolate, vaguely chocolate flavoured slabs of lard suitable for army rations.

I like the cookie & white chocolate one you can get here.

The actual stuff you get in the US though is disgusting, it tastes like you're eating solidified puke.

The first time I tried it I thought it was just a bad bar and something had gone wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Acme Explosives.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Victor wrote: »
    Acme Explosives.
    In fairness the explosives work always work.

And I can't remember them going off early either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,888 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Delorean, produced crap overpriced, underpowered cars, would have been an embarrassing footnote in automotive history but for a movie franchise.

micar wrote: »
    I worked in the Bewleys Grafton St for 2 summers back in 1996/1997

The lasagne was bought in pre cooked and put in a fridge and the heated in a microwave before being bought up stairs.

The tomatoes were cut up and put in the dishes and brought up and put under the lights to "cook".

Even back then, the food was way over priced.

There was a decent size kitchen in the basement. Definately made soup down there and cooked other food.

Since I left, I've been in it on my once.

Interesting. I too worked there in 1996 and 1997. The lasagne was made fresh daily by the chef who was an Italian gentleman.

Made a fantastic veggie lasagne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,888 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Homelander wrote: »
    I like the cookie & white chocolate one you can get here.

The actual stuff you get in the US though is disgusting, it tastes like you're eating solidified puke.

The first time I tried it I thought it was just a bad bar and something had gone wrong with it.

Is there any American food that doesn't taste crap and cause type 2 diabetes?

*Maybe* in terms of what the app developer gets hold of (if they're honest, and you've no way of checking.) But make no mistake, if you use an android device, Google own your ass. At least Apple make enough money out of their overpriced hardware that they don't need to sell your data (but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't, either.)

And apple own you if you are dumb enough to own one of their overpriced items.

You talk about Google developers, aren't apple os developers too? At least Android is open source and free for everyone to test and look in.

Apple secrets stay secret

Is there any American food that doesn't taste crap and cause type 2 diabetes?

The really expensive stuff if you want fresh and organic.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Feisar wrote: »
    Even to compare a similar product, Aldi sell Lacura ADZE 5 every bit as good as Gillette.

Completely agree. Used them once out of curiosity and was so impressed I chucked the Gillette in the bin. The Cien brand from LIDL is not as good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Hershey’s Chocolate
    Heineken
    Budweiser
    LG

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

LG

Anything LG I’ve bought has been great, do people over hype them or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭appledrop

Mr.S wrote: »
    I don't get the Dyson hate, ours works perfectly and it's a godsend :eek:

I have to agree. I adore my dyson vacuum. When I moved in with my now husband 1st thing I bought that week was a dyson + dumped his crappy one. 12 years later its still perfect. I also have a handheld one which is unbelievable + every other cordless hover is a joke compared to it.

I also adore the hairdryer! So I'm a huge dyson fan! I would agree though that hand dryers are crap.

Apple would be a brand I have absolute no time for. Shoddily made + never last. Cant believe people spend money they do for such a crap warranty. Android + Samsung all the way for me.

appledrop wrote: »

Apple would be a brand I have absolute no time for. Shoddily made + never last. Cant believe people spend money they do for such a crap warranty. Android + Samsung all the way for me.

I’ve bit my tongue for most of the rubbish being said about Apple on this thread but this really takes the biscuit. Apple products are superbly made and will outlast any rival product be it an iPhone, MacBook or iPad etc. They make better hardware, better software and use higher quality materials.

One example is one of my MacBook Pro’s is 5 years old and it’s pretty close to being as good as the day I bought it, even the battery still lasts for several hours. I’ve yet to see a windows laptop of any brand that’s not a slow mess and needing a new battery after 3 or 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭appledrop

If I am in someone's company + they have a phone with a cracked or smashed screen 99% of them I know straight away it's an iPhone. Can you explain that one to me?

I dont know how many times I've dropped my Samsung's never have the screens smashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I’ve had iPhones for 10+ years and only broken one screen in all that time. Some people are clumsy, some aren’t.

I think the iPhone was way ahead of the game several years ago but tbh I’ve been a bit underwhelmed with the more recent iPhones. I have a 3 year old X (personal) and a couple of brand new models (work) and there’s nothing much between them. The incremental changes on the new models are too small now to justify shelling out.

That said, anytime I’m handed an android device I just find them a horrible mess of a thing to use. I guess it’s what you’re used to.

The MacBooks are a lovely device, but the battery life is poor on the new models if you’re doing anything heavier then web browsing. Battery was better in the previous generation (pre 2017).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,218 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If I am in someone's company + they have a phone with a cracked or smashed screen 99% of them I know straight away it's an iPhone. Can you explain that one to me?

I dont know how many times I've dropped my Samsung's never have the screens smashed.

Username checks out :pac:
    At least Android is open source and free for everyone to test and look in.

Lots of proprietary stuff in Android, like Google Play Services, and loads of crapware you can't uninstall. But as I said earlier, iOS also absolutely sucks in terms of usability and expense. I use this.
    I have to agree. I adore my dyson vacuum. When I moved in with my now husband 1st thing I bought that week was a dyson + dumped his crappy one.

He had to scratch the Dyson off his Christmas present idea list then :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,218 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Delorean, produced crap overpriced, underpowered cars, would have been an embarrassing footnote in automotive history but for a movie franchise.

Picture the meeting, De Lorean HQ, with many millions of dollars at stake...

"I know, let's build an expensive sports car in Northern Ireland with an unskilled workforce, a Renault engine, dodgy Froggy electrics, and a chassis by Lotus who are renowned for bits falling off their cars."

"How about a bare stainless steel body which makes it impossible to repair dents or scratches?"

"Let's sell it in a market with hot weather and windows that can't open properly."

"Wait! Let's make it impossible to get in or out in a busy supermarket car park!"

Usually any choccies or sweets anyone brings back to our office from holidays are gone in no time.

Someone brought back a couple of bags of Hershey's mini "chocolate" bars once. They sat around for weeks and ended up in the bin. Nobody who tried one had a second one. I took one little bite, it really did taste like sick.

One example is one of my MacBook Pro’s is 5 years old and it’s pretty close to being as good as the day I bought it, even the battery still lasts for several hours. I’ve yet to see a windows laptop of any brand that’s not a slow mess and needing a new battery after 3 or 4 years.

Posted earlier about how I got ten years of daily use out of a plastic Macbook, although it was pretty tired by then and the max RAM is what modern browsers eat for breakfast. Macs now can't be upgraded so you're stuck with the storage and RAM you buy on day one, which is never enough down the road, but they want you to trade up in 3 or 4 years. My Macbook developed the well known keyboard surround cracking problem the day after Apple Care expired, and I'd paid quite a lot for those 2 years of extra warranty!

There was also a problem in that Apple only provided that machine with 32-bit firmware even though it was 64-bit, so you needed to do a lot of messing around to install 64-bit OSes even though the hardware was perfectly capable of running them. I once had to do a "brain transplant". Put the HDD in a Dell, install 64-bit Linux, put the HDD back into the Macbook. It worked perfectly...

My Dell laptop is three years old now, battery is practically as good as new and it flies along, I don't run crappy Windows on it though :) It also has a sturdy case with a metal keyboard surround that doesn't crack, they provide full teardown instructions on their website, and you can repair or replace every single component using only standard tools.

Oh and it cost half the price of the Macbook...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dubmany

Heineken
    Carlsberg
    Budweiser
    McVities
    Alpen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Victoria secrets

Never look the same on the wife as they do in the ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’ve bit my tongue for most of the rubbish being said about Apple on this thread but this really takes the biscuit. Apple products are superbly made and will outlast any rival product be it an iPhone, MacBook or iPad etc. They make better hardware, better software and use higher quality materials.

My Sony VAIO. Sadly Sony don’t make laptops anymore but I had it for five years and the only reason it didn’t last longer was because of significant abuse at my hands. It got three or four serious falls, the last of which fucked the hard drive up. But before that, it got two or three hard bangs, moved country three times, travelled across the country with me every other weekend over a two year period. It never slowed down ever. It never gave me any jip at all. Had I not dropped it that last time, I bet I’d have had it a few more years. And it was €600 in 2009. So not outlandishly expensive.

But I seriously doubt that Sony are the only good Windows laptop. I have to disagree that everything Apple lasts. Their headphones for starters clearly have obsolescence built into them. My sister has had her latest iPhone for less than a year and the camera stopped working after a few months. They still haven't figured out why and nobody has been able to fix it. I’ve had my iPhone since 2017 but the battery started to degrade after less than a year.

Posted earlier about how I got ten years of daily use out of a plastic Macbook, although it was pretty tired by then and the max RAM is what modern browsers eat for breakfast. Macs now can't be upgraded so you're stuck with the storage and RAM you buy on day one, which is never enough down the road, but they want you to trade up in 3 or 4 years. My Macbook developed the well known keyboard surround cracking problem the day after Apple Care expired, and I'd paid quite a lot for those 2 years of extra warranty!

There was also a problem in that Apple only provided that machine with 32-bit firmware even tnough it was 64-bit, so you needed to do a lot of messing around to install 64-bit OSes even though the hardware was perfectly capable of running them. I once had to do a "brain transplant". Put the HDD in a Dell, install 64-bit Linux, put the HDD back into the Macbook. It worked perfectly...

My Dell laptop is three years old now, battery is practically as good as new and it flies along, I donl't run crappy Windows on it though :) It also has a sturdy case with a metal keyboard surround that doesn't crack, they provide full teardown instructions on their website, and you can repair or replace every single component using only standard tools.

Oh and it cost half the price of the Macbook...

I think not being able to upgrade ram being seen as an issue is a bit of a non-story to be honest. My work laptop is a 2 month old latest model MacBook Pro and it has the same RAM as my 5 year old MacBook Pro. I also have a year old 27 inch iMac in the office which has the same RAM. I run fairly heavy programs on both also like CAD and not an issue even on my old one. The new one is a little slicker of course and has some newer features but my older one is still working very well.

I find the battery life excellent in the new one also in contrast to a comment earlier, I can get many hours on battery longer than I ever could on the older model even when new.

Aside from that things like trackpads etc are terrible on all machines bar macs they are in a different league and of course windows is awful, OSX is miles ahead. Not being able to use Mac would be close to a deal breaker for me were I ever changing job I don’t think I could hack using a pc/laptop and windows daily again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I think not being able to upgrade ram being seen as an issue is a bit of a non-story to be honest. My work laptop is a 2 month old latest model MacBook Pro and it has the same RAM as my 5 year old MacBook Pro. I also have a year old 27 inch iMac in the office which has the same RAM. I run fairly heavy programs on both also like CAD and not an issue even on my old one. The new one is a little slicker of course and has some newer features but my older one is still work very good.

I find the battery life excellent in the new one also in contrast to a comment earlier, I can get many hours on battery longer than I ever could on the older model even when new.

Aside from that things like trackpads etc are terrible on all machines bar macs they are in a different league and of course windows is awful, OSX is miles ahead. Not being able to use Mac would be close to a deal breaker for me were I ever changing job I don’t think I could hack using a pc/laptop and windows daily again.

it isn't though

it's a perfectly functional operating system that serves millions of personal and enterprise users and use cases...

only fanboys come out with nonsense like that

btw I use both regularly as a developer... they both have their ups and downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Try running a heavy-on-the-processor app such as Xcode on a recent MacBook... the battery will drain before your eyes. It isn't a machine optimised for heavy duty software development. Its a widely known issue with them (the model that introduced the "Touch Bar"), its apparently been promised to be addressed... I'm due to get a new one soon so we'll see if its any better. As a result, I only use the current one for such purposes recently when I'm stuck.

The iMac Pro desktop is a serious machine, it leaves any MacBook in the shade. They cost serious megabucks though, crazy money. And undoubtedly you would get a windows machine with equivalent or more horsepower for significantly less.

For reference, I'm a Mac/iOS software dev and heavily use several Macbooks/iMacs on any given day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

enricoh wrote: »
    I know a lad who asked the staff did they think his burger looked remotely like the burger in the picture. The staff agreed with him that it didn't n made him a new one!

Was his name Michael Douglas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

I used a Mac book Pro for 8 years never had a problem with it, there well built tough as nails and take abuse too. The OS is really good to .

I think Like everything Apples have a place. Personally don't like the eco system some buy into..

But it suits some people. I also don't get why people care what system you use.

These days I use PC but if I was just working on creative projects I'd role a mac.

Advertisement