Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Brand names whose products are way overrated

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

L1011 wrote: »
    Oharas have investment by the firm behind Estrella Galicia and have a huge distribution network. Only Irish beer you'll find easily in Estonian for instance, Guinness being rarer

Every day is a school day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Did anyone mention Dyson vacs?

Lol. The worst.

Part of the pitch was they did away with a bag. All you Dyson owners have had the same mess happen, trying to empty that stoopid canister with a screwdriver, whatnot.

Also, ever notice the toilet hand driers by Dyson. What a ridiculously retrograde concept. They are not an improvement over older models but have a led light in a small aperture over which you are meant to stick your hands without touching the machine. You need to stand right above the unit so the water from your hands and germs from everybody mingle to shoot up in your face. A truly topnotch novelty in the era of covid19, especially since the later model driers don't need to be touched and are straightforward as they should be.

Did I mention Dyson?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

L1011 wrote: »
    Great. Prepare to be horrified

(we have actually met in real life, for the benefit of other posters)

But sure when you blindfold someone you can “convince” them they are eating apple when it’s actually pear.

If you gave me a pint of Guinness, unmarked, and a pint with a can of Guinness I would back myself to taste the difference.

Same goes for Coke v Diet Coke/Coke Zero, Coke v Pepsi, Pepsi v Pepsi Max. I know the tastes I prefer.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Kelloggs

They are a little better than the own brand stuff, but not four times the price better.

I normally buy own brand cereal but it has to be Kelllogg's cornflakes for me,
    more expensive better taste, stock up when on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Assuming a lot of this site are male commentators, I am rather surprise how so many know a thing or ten about vacuum cleaners lol. Isn’t that what paid cleaners, maids or the .... are for ? Is there some fetish amongst the men over vacuums that we don’t know about ?

Wow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Gotta disagree to some extent with both.

I took apart a MacBook a few years ago. The entire lower body had been milled from a single billet of aluminium, and the keyboard secured with around 60 screws, so that each key felt exactly the same when pressed. That level of engineering, is rarely equalled by any other manufacturer. As a mechanical engineer, I was shocked at the lengths they had gone to.

That level of quality doesn't come cheap, so if you're prepared to pay for it, then fair enough.

Will most people notice the difference? Probably not.

This statement is completely incorrect, I fix laptops and macbooks and completely disagree with everything you have said

watch Louis Rossman on the repeated failures I have also seen on these "quality" products

https://youtu.be/AUaJ8pDlxi8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

kingtiger wrote: »
    This statement is completely incorrect, I fix laptops and macbooks and completely disagree with everything you have said

watch Louis Rossman on the repeated failures I have also seen on these "quality" products

https://youtu.be/AUaJ8pDlxi8
    Lazy idiots who spend hundreds more than you need to for yesterday's tech need only watch the first 5 minutes to still not open your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

FFVII wrote: »
    Lazy idiots who spend hundreds more than you need to for yesterday's tech need only watch the first 5 minutes to still not open your eyes.

it just the statement made by another poster that annoyed me

"the keyboard secured with around 60 screws, so that each key felt exactly the same when pressed. That level of engineering, is rarely equalled by any other manufacturer."

putting in 5000 screws has nothing to do with key sensitivity, its to do with making their products harder to repair

take a macbook to a authorized Apple repair centre and they will probably charge you more for a replacement part than the Mac is worth, and they don't actually fix the motherboard they just replace it (so much for the environment)

I could probably fix the same problem for a few quid in parts, but then again I can't actually get the parts from Apple and have to rely on donor boards

I wish people would open their eyes and see what this company are really like

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

But sure when you blindfold someone you can “convince” them they are eating apple when it’s actually pear.

If you gave me a pint of Guinness, unmarked, and a pint with a can of Guinness I would back myself to taste the difference.

Same goes for Coke v Diet Coke/Coke Zero, Coke v Pepsi, Pepsi v Pepsi Max. I know the tastes I prefer.

But those are different drinks. His point is this is the exact same drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Floppybits

IKea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Gotta disagree to some extent with both.

There certainly is a level of quality with Apple products that you don't tend to get in cheaper alternatives. I don't include Samsung in that.

I took apart a MacBook a few years ago. The entire lower body had been milled from a single billet of aluminium, and the keyboard secured with around 60 screws, so that each key felt exactly the same when pressed. That level of engineering, is rarely equalled by any other manufacturer. As a mechanical engineer, I was shocked at the lengths they had gone to.

That level of quality doesn't come cheap, so if you're prepared to pay for it, then fair enough.

Will most people notice the difference? Probably not.

Since when is inappropriate over engineering a good thing?

Ush1 wrote: »
    But those are different drinks. His point is this is the exact same drink.

That has a considerable taste difference due to how it is stored and served.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,862 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Assuming a lot of this site are male commentators, I am rather surprise how so many know a thing or ten about vacuum cleaners lol. Isn’t that what paid cleaners, maids or the .... are for ? Is there some fetish amongst the men over vacuums that we don’t know about ?

Wow

Sorry?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

George Foreman grills are the biggest heap of ****e. I have one where the grill trays are removable for dish-washing but it is so poorly designed that the top portion constantly falls of when cooking if you try to open the lid.

Hasbro.
    The critique by Ted in Ted 1 was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

beerguts wrote: »
    George Foreman grills are the biggest heap of ****e. I have one where the grill trays are removable for dish-washing but it is so poorly designed that the top portion constantly falls of when cooking if you try to open the lid.

Used to make good quality gear when the brand first came out. Then the brand gets sold to another group who outsource the manufacturing to China. The quality drops through the floor, but they sweat the brand reputation until people realise they are buying shïte.

Sports Direct is also notorious for this - see former quality brands like Karrimor who get bought over and have their manufacturing outsourced to the lowest bidder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Used to make good quality gear when the brand first came out. Then the brand gets sold to another group who outsource the manufacturing to China. The quality drops through the floor, but they sweat the brand reputation until people realise they are buying shïte.

Sports Direct is also notorious for this - see former quality brands like Karrimor who get bought over and have their manufacturing outsourced to the lowest bidder.

Phillips went the same way, for small electronics at least.
    I bought a pair of headphones and the power cable connection just fell out of them after a few months, utter junk.

Advertisement