Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Brand names whose products are way overrated

Options

Comments

9 pages and no one has mentioned Nandos? Dry, tasteless, ****e of the highest degree.

I quite like Nando’s, never got the hate from some tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

jetsonx wrote: »
    The relationship between the Irish consumer and Nandos is still in the honeymoon phase. During this phase their flash frozen food still seems "exotic" in the same way those first branches of Subway did 15 years ago. Give it time though, and consumers will realise there is nothing exotic about seasoned mass produced chicken from a freezer.

I used to love it when I was in Australia in 2004, it was the spicy sauce that done it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Name one.

Beef. Your move Johnny. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,498 ✭✭✭✭L1011

jetsonx wrote: »
    The relationship between the Irish consumer and Nandos is still in the honeymoon phase. During this phase their flash frozen food still seems "exotic" in the same way those first branches of Subway did 15 years ago. Give it time though, and consumers will realise there is nothing exotic about seasoned mass produced chicken from a freezer.

Subway have been in Ireland for near to 30 years. The Nassau Street branch is open from maybe 1992.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Homelander

I have to agree with Nando's. I ate there twice and while it wasn't terrible, it was completely unremarkable and pretty expensive for what it was. I did like the unlimited ice-cream option though.

Subway, by comparison, I wouldn't say is over-rated because really, they just make decent sandwiches you can cram as much fillings into as you want. No-one ever really claims they make the worlds best sandwiches or anything like that.

A footlong for a €5 after 5pm as well goes in their favor, I rate them highly for that reason, not necessarily on the quality of their actual food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Would be nice to see a thread with the opposite, big brands that have great quality products

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

And of course, Dunkin Donuts! It isn’t as if there isn’t the most fab donoughts to be had on O’Connell Street (or at least there used to be?? That kiosk near Cleary’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

And of course, Dunkin Donuts! It isn’t as if there isn’t the most fab donoughts to be had on O’Connell Street (or at least there used to be?? That kiosk near Cleary’s.

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts are disgusting.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

BMW, Mercedes and Audi basically all the German "premium" car range. All style over substance, unreliable, horrendously hard to work on and mortgage level repair bill when something goes wrong.
    Even standard German makes are overrated as well - Opel (pure muck) and VW (about the best of a bad lot granted)

What's agood european car?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,498 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dunkin are gone from Ireland for maybe 20 years. Are you possibly thinking of Krispy Kreme who came here recently?

The booth on O'Connell Street is Rolling Donut - fried grease. They have multiple branches now.

Offbeat are vastly superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

lsjmhar wrote:

Dacia all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The doughnut kiosk! Used to go there whenever I was in that part of town. The plain sugar ones, fresh from the fryer. Thanks for the nostalgia :).

Still, it's a bit mad how adamant some people in this thread are that other people's favourite food is somehow wrong.

The thread is a magnet for defensive snobs trying to defend their brand like it's a matter of honour and loyalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

lsjmhar wrote: »

Alfa Romeo of course.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Adyx wrote: »
    It's an aluminium stand. You could get any mechanical engineering student in the country to knock one out for under €100. And the only other option besides this stand is a $200 VESA mount which again, most monitors come with or have for reasonable price.

The monitor itself is top class for sure, but there's plenty of other manufacturers producing similar quality monitors and even the ones costing several grand at least include a fcking stand. :rolleyes:

Apple were charging $999 for a monitor stand.

No swivel and not much height adjustment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Dacia all the way.

The cheap sub brand of Renault- not a huge fan of Darcia.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

John Deere.

Or John extremely dear if you want to get your tractor or combine looked at. Because it's full software lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

John Deere.

Or John extremely dear if you want to get your tractor or combine looked at. Because it's full software lockdown.

Unfortunately all machinery brands are gone like that. All mechanics have laptops and if the issue doesn't appear on the laptop it doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Yes, thanks all, meant Krispy Kreme “donuts”. But any of them really.

Unfortunately all machinery brands are gone like that. All mechanics have laptops and if the issue doesn't appear on the laptop it doesn't exist.
    The difference is that thanks to the EU the diagnostics on pretty much every car on the road nowadays can be read by anyone with a generic reader.

You aren't forced to go to a main dealer every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

A 20 year old dog would make it into the top 20 oldest dogs recorded.
    I'd take those ages with a huge pinch of salt.
    I'm surprised that my dad didn't have a 31 year old dog - he wasn't great with facts!

My mother's Jack Russell, Sally was put to sleep not long after turning 19....but yeah a 28 year old Collie (or any dog) is indeed a rarity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,636 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

John Deere.

If she's not red keep her in the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭ozmo

MattS1 wrote: »
    Would be nice to see a thread with the opposite, big brands that have great quality products

Have to say anything by Samsung as being one of those good ones - all those products you like from other companies- probably relies heavily on batteries, components, chips or whole screen panels by them inside.... As well as pretty decent mobiles and tvs.

“Roll it back”

Strumms wrote: »
    Never understood why anybody would like Budweiser, pîss. Ok taste is subjective but still. With the absolute multiple of beers now available and on draft too, I just wonder if they are selling Budweiser as much as say the last number of years.

It's mass marketing / brainwashing. In the States I went to a bar on Long Island with some American colleagues. The place had a huge selection of international beers on tap and in bottles. I had a pint of Spaten on draught, then a Dinkel Acker and a few others. One American mate tried a few different ones but the others just stuck to Bud or Miller Geniune Draft crap. A pint of Staroprammen was just way out of their comfort zone. Saddo's.

Don’t use them, myself, I go with the Gillette Mach 3 blades but I have used Bic razors in the past. They are “single use” only but they are incredibly good at what they are supposed to do.

The blade, itself, is exceptionally sharp. If you’re left with cuts all over your face you are, clearly, rushing the shave and that is something you cannot do with a Bic. And that’s on you.

A steady hand and time are the only things you need to have a good shave with a “disposable” blade.

Respectfully, I completely disagree. I know that BIC disposable razors are a single use item. I get shredded using one straight out of the pack first time and I do know how to shave and I have a steady hand. My skin is very smooth without bumps and my facial hair is thick but soft once well warmed up and soaped / gelled. I use Gillette Mach 3 myself and used to use Gillette Sensor which was almost as good. If I forget to bring the Mach 3 on hols or am out of cartridges the disposable Gillette Blue II is perfect. Slides away the beard like a windscreen wiper. BIC.....absolutely dismal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Morris, I hear the new minor is a fantastic car.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Apple were charging $999 for a monitor stand.

No swivel and not much height adjustment.

Apple don't really care about macs, their main business is phones.
    That stand has given the brand so much exposure for free, just think how much that would have cost!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Citroen and newest Peugeot range, really stylish, reliable and cheap to run. Some renaults are good too.

Agree 100% that German cars are overhyped and overpriced.

Cienciano wrote: »
    It sells, why would they change it? I don't think it tastes bad, it has almost no taste. That's why it's successful, it's so inoffensive.

I would assume Bud doesn't have the same market share as before (in the US anyway), not because people don't like it, it's because so many more bland beers have taken some of their market share. Miller, coors, anything with the words "lite" or "ice" are popular now and they all are similar to bud so like watered down beer versions of beer.

Well therein lies the rub. Yes, it sells but it's still a sh1t product and that's what this thread is about. Big brand names with sh1t products. So it's profit over quality with crap like Budweiser. It is also possible to work to improve a product and still have it sell...maybe even sell more.

But it seems that the products that have been improved over the years are a mere fraction of those that have been disimproved in the quest to maximise profits. The great capitalist credo.

Actually I can't think of a product that was poor or average and has been much improved. Maybe the packaging has been made more convenient like a screw top on a carton of milk instead of that dire pop-top way of opening the fcuker...but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Alfa Romeo of course.

Choke!!!!! Anyone remember when they teamed up with Nissan in the early 80's Italian style and Japanese reliability, some hope, they stuck an Alfa engine in a aDatsun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Morris, I hear the new minor is a fantastic car.

Not half the car of the Austin Allegro,they even reinvented the steering wheel

Advertisement