Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Brand names whose products are way overrated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Capra wrote: »
    I'm well aware of that but I'm also not their ****ing daddy. If a guy asks you to load him with more then you are going to do it. It wouldn't be boards.ie without an armchair RSA member chirping in.

True, load them up and let them at it, the driver is responsible for the loads weight and security, you can't babysit them all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Dyson, I was sceptical but don’t entirely dismiss them…

I have both a Dyson V11 and a Miele hoover. The Miele is a workhorse of a hoover, we’ve had it a few years and it has never failed. The other half had been bugging me about a cordless Dyson and after some extended resistance we finally got one.

I’ll be honest – I actually like it. The Dyson has additional uses – it has replaced the sweeping brush for hard floors downstairs. I would have never taken out the Miele for a light clean.

It also has a different method of cleaning. It agitates the carpet with the spinning brushes as opposed to using raw power to suck the dirt. I suppose it has to as it’s running off battery. Before you know it, you can hoover the whole house with it and not have to worry about cables.

Is Dyson overpriced – yes. Will it last as long as the Miele – no.

However, 9 times out of 10 I’m using the Dyson. For any heavier dirt or hoovering the car, out comes the Miele.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

enricoh wrote: »
    I know a lad who asked the staff did they think his burger looked remotely like the burger in the picture. The staff agreed with him that it didn't n made him a new one!

The new one would have looked the exact same.
    They're not going to suddenly make a new patty for him.

Amstrad

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Amstrad
    They were never overrated.

Compared to the IBM PC the Amstrad PC 1512 was made of creaky plastic. Putting the power supply in the monitor was an interesting choice.

The IBM had a big red KA-THUNK! power switch and the Model M keyboard that people spend crazy amounts of money to buy flimsier descendants of.

But you could get a poverty spec Amstrad for £399 when a genuine IBM started at £1,429. Like comparing a Lada to a Ford Sierra.

Sinclar were another company that cheaped out on components.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Nike football boots. I played in a pair once and they were so thin and flimsy. Feet were cold, felt forced into the boot and offered no protection when a lumpy defender came down studs on your boot. Then they added a sock attached to the boot and called it revolutionary. Adidas Copa Munidal blows every poser out of the water!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭howyanow

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Nike football boots. I played in a pair once and they were so thin and flimsy. Feet were cold, felt forced into the boot and offered no protection when a lumpy defender came down studs on your boot. Then they added a sock attached to the boot and called it revolutionary. Adidas Copa Munidal blows every poser out of the water!

Copa Mundial best boots ever made!
    Had a pair of Nike that burst during 1st game played in them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Mr.S wrote: »
    I don't get the Dyson hate, ours works perfectly and it's a godsend :eek:

I would have thought that 'works perfectly' would be the minimum standard for any appliance.

Dyson vacuum cleaners work alright, but they market themselves as featuring groundbreaking technologies designs that make them worth the (very) premium pricetag, and they are not. At all.

It's just bright colours and marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Kelloggs

They are a little better than the own brand stuff, but not four times the price better.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

GoPro action cameras. You can find similar ones for 1/10th the price that work just as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,659 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

bigar wrote: »
    GoPro action cameras. You can find similar ones for 1/10th the price that work just as well.

My brother did a split screen comparison between a GoPro and (I think it was) a yi cam. Both were perfectly fine, but the GoPro looked better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Mr.S wrote:
    I don't get the Dyson hate, ours works perfectly and it's a godsend

mobby wrote:
    Same here, have a Dyson Dc20 15 years not one issue in that time.

mobby wrote:
    great bit of kit if you have pets, the amount of dog hair that dyson has picked up over the years

You guys are maybe not comparing like for like. Try a Miele C3, the power is in a different league, you'll never go back. Bagless vacuums are also 'meant' to be cleaner but look at the dust than spews out when emptying the container.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Kelloggs

They are a little better than the own brand stuff, but not four times the price better.

I like own brand honey nut flakes but some reason the generic corn flakes you can taste the cheapness, like the sort of flakes you would get with free breakfast in a hostel or penny pinching b and b.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

I like own brand honey nut flakes but some reason the generic corn flakes you can taste the cheapness, like the sort of flakes you would get with free breakfast in a hostel or penny pinching b and b.

I wanted aldis honey nut corn flakes to work as they were half the price. They went into the bin, lesson learned!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got to disagree with anyone who says own brand is same as Kelloggs.

They simply aren't.

Over the year I have tried many own brands, Aldi, Lidl, Sainsburys, Tesco etc and can't get a corn flake that I like.

I'd rather pay the money for Kelloggs every time. They are often on special offer and I tend to stock up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

NIMAN wrote: »
    Got to disagree with anyone who says own brand is same as Kelloggs..

The Tesco “imitation” crunchy nut cornflakes aren’t bad, definitely the best of a “bad bunch”.

The Aldi/Lidl one is terrible, they seem to use little clumps of that “artificial” sweetener auld ones used to put in their tea, or coffee, on the flakes instead of nut.

Very disappointing.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

chosen1 wrote: »
    Fair enough the bottom of them are manky but I find they're the only ones that are capable of actually drying your hands.

The traditional ones just puff semi warm air at your hands and you end up just drying the rest off on your jeans
    There isn't 2 types of dryers, dysons and the old fashioned type. There's hundreds of types. The best ones imho are the jet air ones that are just really powerful versions of the old ones. While we might never have had them if the dysons hadn't come around, the original dysons are dogshíte, I'd rather not wash my hands that use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The Tesco “imitation” crunchy nut cornflakes aren’t bad, definitely the best of a “bad bunch”.

The Aldi/Lidl one is terrible, they seem to use little clumps of that “artificial” sweetener auld ones used to put in their tea, or coffee, on the flakes instead of nut.

Very disappointing.

It’s like buying Pepsi, Diet versions, or own brand cola. Why bother? Just buy proper Coca Cola and drink less of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,862 ✭✭✭✭anewme

NIMAN wrote: »
    Got to disagree with anyone who says own brand is same as Kelloggs.

They simply aren't.

Over the year I have tried many own brands, Aldi, Lidl, Sainsburys, Tesco etc and can't get a corn flake that I like.

I'd rather pay the money for Kelloggs every time. They are often on special offer and I tend to stock up then.

Had a craving for Rice Crispies recently, so bought Centra version. They had absolutely no snap crackle or pop and just became a soggy mess.

Were given out to the Birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s like buying Pepsi, Diet versions, or own brand cola. Why bother? Just buy proper Coca Cola and drink less of it.

Wasn’t impressed with Coke discontinuing their 2 litre bottle. The fact they’ve kept it for their “sugar free” drinks is just insulting.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

chrissb8 wrote: »

The old school Tiempos aren't bad but those Total 90s that were all the rage 20 years ago were awful. Made them millions though, especially as folk were wearing them (the astroturf versions) under jeans and all!

The Mercurial Vapors were the worst football boot I've ever seen, huge hype then a few players started breaking metatarsals from their foot over bending in them and they were disappeared never to be seen again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Homelander

I prefer the diet versions of most drinks, less sticky and sugary. That's why a lot of people drink them, rather than for any calorie related reasons. The only time I crave the sugar versions of Coke or Club Orange is when I'm hungover.

Agree about the own brand cola though. The lemon/lime versions tend to be OK but I've yet to taste an own-brand cola that is remotely similar to Diet Coke or Pepsi Max (the king)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Titleist PRO V1's.

Gimme a Srixon Z star or a TP5 any day of the week, I'll put that over the ditch just as handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

It's worth paying a premium for Apple devices because they are the last major tech company who still give half a damn about personal privacy. It's the tech equivalent of the overton window.

Wow! That's a coffee through the nose moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

Heinz

I recently dined on that peasant evening snack of choice, beans on toast. I was disappointed with how it tasted. I looked down at the plate, dismayed to see the beans looking sadly up at me in a watery insipid sauce. They tasted bland as well. 'How many times have I told herself not to be buying the cheap Lidl or Aldi beans', says I to myself when I stopped short at the empty can on the kitchen bench. They were not a German discount half-price rip-off. They were Heinz, they of the holy grail of tomato ketchup.

Fast forward to yesterday. I scoffed at the Batts 'organic' tomato sauce that was purchased in Lidl. I tasted it and was blown away, just the right consistency tasting quite startlingly at first, of cloves (the standard ketchup spice) and garlic, before something hot and peppery chimes in, cayenne perhaps, to leave your tongue tingling gently. It is beautiful on the tongue with looks to match thick and creamy and bright red. I searched in the cupboard and found a bottle of Supervalu own label ketchup and Heinz ketchup, the supposed market leader and did a blind taste test with all the members of my incarcerated household. Batts came tops with everyone. Heinz came last.

What has happened Heinz?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Wow! That's a coffee through the nose moment!!

Why? Are you suggesting user privacy is superior on an Android device?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭cml387

Heinz

I recently dined on that peasant evening snack of choice, beans on toast. I was disappointed with how it tasted. I looked down at the plate, dismayed to see the beans looking sadly up at me in a watery insipid sauce. They tasted bland as well. 'How many times have I told herself not to be buying the cheap Lidl or Aldi beans', says I to myself when I stopped short at the empty can on the kitchen bench. They were not a German discount half-price rip-off. They were Heinz, they of the holy grail of tomato ketchup.

Fast forward to yesterday. I scoffed at the Batts 'organic' tomato sauce that was purchased in Lidl. I tasted it and was blown away, just the right consistency tasting quite startlingly at first, of cloves (the standard ketchup spice) and garlic, before something hot and peppery chimes in, cayenne perhaps, to leave your tongue tingling gently. It is beautiful on the tongue with looks to match thick and creamy and bright red. I searched in the cupboard and found a bottle of Supervalu own label ketchup and Heinz ketchup, the supposed market leader and did a blind taste test with all the members of my incarcerated household. Batts came tops with everyone. Heinz came last.

What has happened Heinz?

The end of the lockdown can't come quick enough for you guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Dr. Colossus

Heinz

What has happened Heinz?

They reduced the sugar content in their baked beans, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

iPhone, the single biggest overrated thing of all time, has always been years behind Android development, but the genius that are Apples marketing convinced millions that iPhones are superior to anything else when this could not be further from the actual facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Heinz

What has happened Heinz?

Try Branston ones if yous see them, they usually win the taste tests of beans

Advertisement