Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Brand names whose products are way overrated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think not being able to upgrade ram being seen as an issue is a bit of a non-story to be honest. My work laptop is a 2 month old latest model MacBook Pro and it has the same RAM as my 5 year old MacBook Pro. I also have a year old 27 inch iMac in the office which has the same RAM. I run fairly heavy programs on both also like CAD and not an issue even on my old one. The new one is a little slicker of course and has some newer features but my older one is still working very well.

I find the battery life excellent in the new one also in contrast to a comment earlier, I can get many hours on battery longer than I ever could on the older model even when new.

Aside from that things like trackpads etc are terrible on all machines bar macs they are in a different league and of course windows is awful, OSX is miles ahead. Not being able to use Mac would be close to a deal breaker for me were I ever changing job I don’t think I could hack using a pc/laptop and windows daily again.

I dont care what machines you use tbh.

But this post is unadulterated gutter sht.

Evidently you are stuck inside an ecosystem (and thats ok who cares) but you've no opinion on other systems because you are simply stuck inside the eco system you chose good for you. Better for others that have options and use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Anything LG I’ve bought has been great, do people over hype them or something?

Have 3 LG tv's for the last 4 or 5 years,Nothing wrong with them and they weren't expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"Wait! Let's make it impossible to get in or out in a busy supermarket car park!"

Doors actually open in a relatively narrow space, the hinging point is far enough back

The nonsense being spouted on this thread by people to try justify their huge spends on Apple kit is hilarious. They are the absolute definition of overrated; and of overpriced; and of overhyped. Same rebadged Foxconn stuff as everyone else with a rather shonky operating system with no idea of coherent UI/UX design. That sentence can describe Apple *and* Windows kit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

Copper Face Jacks

Inexplicably popular city niteclub for culchies with no sense of style, taste or personality.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Try running a heavy-on-the-processor app such as Xcode on a recent MacBook... the battery will drain before your eyes. It isn't a machine optimised for heavy duty software development. Its a widely known issue with them (the model that introduced the "Touch Bar"), its apparently been promised to be addressed... I'm due to get a new one soon so we'll see if its any better. As a result, I only use the current one for such purposes recently when I'm stuck.

The iMac Pro desktop is a serious machine, it leaves any MacBook in the shade. They cost serious megabucks though, crazy money. And undoubtedly you would get a windows machine with equivalent or more horsepower for significantly less.

For reference, I'm a Mac/iOS software dev and heavily use several Macbooks/iMacs on any given day.

Its a touch bar model I have but admittedly I rarely do anything heavy when not on power, I'm not a developer so CAD would be my heaviest use and for that I need a big screen anyway so would always be on power and connected to a monitor. I have had 5/6 hour zoom/webex calls on battery though and still a decent amount of battery left.
    listermint wrote: »
    I dont care what machines you use tbh.

But this post is unadulterated gutter sht.

Evidently you are stuck inside an ecosystem (and thats ok who cares) but you've no opinion on other systems because you are simply stuck inside the eco system you chose good for you. Better for others that have options and use them.

I used windows for long enough but once I got a macbook I never looked back. In my previous job I got a new more powerful and more expensive HP laptop after I'd been a while using my personal Mac and to be honest it mostly stayed in the drawer and I used my own macbook for work.

It's obviously an opinion but when I do need to use windows (some specific pieces of equipment I use have dedicated PCs for their control software) I find it horrible to navigate and lacking features that I use constantly on mac.

As for the ecosystem, you will only know how good it is when you are in it but the integration between phone, watch, tablet and laptop is really superb when you get used to it, even things as simple as the apple watch unlocking the macbook seem small but are massively missed if say the watch is charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Copper Face Jacks

Inexplicably popular city niteclub for culchies with no sense of style, taste or personality.

It’s a fun place that people enjoy having a night out in. It’s the fun and enjoyment thing that makes it the subject of ire from people who are incapable of experiencing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,524 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I think not being able to upgrade ram being seen as an issue is a bit of a non-story to be honest. My work laptop is a 2 month old latest model MacBook Pro and it has the same RAM as my 5 year old MacBook Pro.

:rolleyes:
    You're seriously going to regret not maxing out the RAM in a couple of years.
    Aside from that things like trackpads etc are terrible on all machines bar macs

Trackpads on macs are shíte. Only having one button is an utterly stupid design decision from almost 40 years ago that they are too bloody stubborn to reverse. Says it all about that company really - and their deluded fanboys who insist that worse is better.
    and of course windows is awful, OSX is miles ahead.

I hate Windows but I'd rather be forced to use it in work than OS X, the latter sucks donkey balls. Usability is awful, doing anything other than run of the mill click-and-drool tasks is utterly unintuitive and awkward. The menu 'design' is complete arse fodder.
    Not being able to use Mac would be close to a deal breaker for me were I ever changing job I don’t think I could hack using a pc/laptop and windows daily again.

Get any flavour of Linux, it's what OS X could be if Apple didn't have their head firmly wedged up their arse.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

It’s a fun place that people enjoy having a night out in. It’s the fun and enjoyment thing that makes it the subject of ire from people who are incapable of experiencing either.

Nah, it's a smelly overpriced dump that attracts a nasty crowd.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

L1011 wrote: »
    Doors actually open in a relatively narrow space, the hinging point is far enough back

Take your DMC-12 over to the Mill Centre in Clondalkin and get back to me. The parking spaces were designed for 1970s cars where you were rubbing shoulders with your passenger, literally. :)

Tallaght Hospital multistorey car park is horrific as well, the ramps are so tight and narrow it's unbelievable, the hundreds of massive scrape marks on the wall bear witness to the díckheadedness of its design.

The nonsense being spouted on this thread by people to try justify their huge spends on Apple kit is hilarious. They are the absolute definition of overrated; and of overpriced; and of overhyped. Same rebadged Foxconn stuff as everyone else with a rather shonky operating system with no idea of coherent UI/UX design. That sentence can describe Apple *and* Windows kit now.

Stop! Stop! He's already dead! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Copper Face Jacks

Was in there once it reminded me of Molly's in Limerick at the time...a student bar full of messy drunks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,886 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Take your DMC-12 over to the Mill Centre in Clondalkin and get back to me. The parking spaces were designed for 1970s cars where you were rubbing shoulders with your passenger, literally. :)

Tallaght Hospital multistorey car park is horrific as well, the ramps are so tight and narrow it's unbelievable, the hundreds of massive scrape marks on the wall bear witness to the díckheadedness of its design.

Maybe we need graded parking spaces by size, with higher charges for those who insist on driving tanks for the school run and a bit of shopping?

Its a great spot, never had a bad night there and had some unreal ones before/after all-irelands etc.
    :rolleyes:
    You're seriously going to regret not maxing out the RAM in a couple of years.

Had a budget allocated from work so bought to the max of that, I'll upgrade again in future but I would be confident that the RAM is sufficient for years yet. I heard similar 5 years ago when I bought my own macbook yet its still running perfectly.
    Trackpads on macs are shíte. Only having one button is an utterly stupid design decision from almost 40 years ago that they are too bloody stubborn to reverse. Says it all about that company really - and their deluded fanboys who insist that worse is better.

Can't fathom this at all, mac trackpads are pretty much universally accepted as being the best by quite a distance. No idea what issue you have with one button, no need for them whatsoever when you have gestures. After using a mac trackpad any other one feels like you are wearing oven gloves.

I hate Windows but I'd rather be forced to use it in work than OS X, the latter sucks donkey balls. Usability is awful, doing anything other than run of the mill click-and-drool tasks is utterly unintuitive and awkward. The menu 'design' is complete arse fodder.

Get any flavour of Linux, it's what OS X could be if Apple didn't have their head firmly wedged up their arse.

Again massively disagree, its a very clean and initiative operating system that I find a pleasure to use. Menus are well laid out and you have a search function that a windows user could only dream off.

I am familiar with linux, I have a number of raspberry pis and run a linux server at home (running ubuntu). I like Linux for playing around, media management, home automation etc etc but I prefer OSx for general use and to be honest I find them very similar to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Whatever about their software any company that releases a $5000 monitor and a stand that costs an extra $1000 is purely for people with their head up their ass. Couple that with the bullsh*t throttling of older iPhones and the disaster of the broken keyboards, it's no wonder even a lot of creatives are abandoning Apple.

They did get the iPad right to their credit however. Android never came close on tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Ultrflat wrote: »
    These days I use PC but if I was just working on creative projects I'd role a mac.

Why do people say that? Considering Adobe products run on either, is there any difference?

Adyx wrote: »
    Whatever about their software any company that releases a $5000 monitor and a stand that costs an extra $1000 is purely for people with their head up their ass. Couple that with the bullsh*t throttling of older iPhones and the disaster of the broken keyboards, it's no wonder even a lot of creatives are abandoning Apple.

They did get the iPad right to their credit however. Android never came close on tablets.

Far from unusual and not even extreme. We bought a 250k piece of equipment at work a few years ago and had to pay an extra 5k if we wanted the trolley to move it around. The trolley was probably worth about 500 euro but when you are buying this level of equipment you don’t skimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Copper Face Jacks

See yiz in Copper's.

Let me see. What famous culchie said that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Far from unusual and not even extreme. We bought a 250k piece of equipment at work a few years ago and had to pay an extra 5k if we wanted the trolley to move it around. The trolley was probably worth about 500 euro but when you are buying this level of equipment you don’t skimp.

are you actually justifying Apple charging 1K for a fcuking monitor stand?

the LCD panel itself on the Pro Display XDR is a just rebranded LG that costs $1500

so that's quite the markup for an additional $3.5k for the monitor bezel

and then 1K for a stand that is similar to any €400 monitor

I would say Tim Cook laughs every night thinking how much wool he pulls over Apple fanboys eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,321 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

5k on 250k is a 2% accessory charge

1k on 5k is a 20% accessory charge

Not the greatest supporting argument really

lawred2 wrote: »
    5k on 250k is a 2% accessory charge

1k on 5k is a 20% accessory charge

Not the greatest supporting argument really

I’d have looked on it very differently. If you are spending 250k throwing in some thing for free worth 2% is nothing compared to something that they are selling for 20% of the cost.

I think people don’t realise the cost of things, the stand is not just a stand it is a fairly hefty price of kit that would not be cheap to make.

I’d have looked on it very differently. If you are spending 250k throwing in some thing for free worth 2% is nothing compared to something that they are selling for 20% of the cost.

I think people don’t realise the cost of things, the stand is not just a stand it is a fairly hefty price of kit that would not be cheap to make.

you can say that again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

the stand is not just a stand it is a fairly hefty price of kit that would not be cheap to make.

sweet Jesus,. its not jewel encrusted or made with metal from a crashed UFO, its just a piece of metal that holds up a screen

It's just not possible to excuse this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Can I kick off with Dyson?

A huge launch and massive marketing drive for Dyson products but I've always been underwhelmed by how they actually perform. Maybe the fuss generated is something to do with it being the first UK designed product to make a big splash in many the year but, for me, they are the Apple of products from a marketing perspective but an Acer in terms of performance.

When I finally kicked my under-performing Dyson to the kerb and replaced in with a big ugly Meile, I nearly cried in gratitude when I heard the motor rumble to life and watched as my carpet was sucked to within an inch of it's life.

So, what brands do you think are overrated?

Brands can still have jems that stand out. The acer predator helios 300 is an award winning laptop but the range as a whole needs care in navigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Tatyo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Wouldn’t bother, N. You’re arguing with the PC “master race” here. Rotund, red faced, guys wearing “Qwertee”, or faded metal band, t-shirts who simply hate Apple products regardless of how superior they may be.

The fact of the matter is Apple iPhones, iMacs or MacBooks are the most “user-friendly” machines out there, have been for years. The “desktops“ just need to be plugged in to start, whereas with a PC you’re hours getting it from the box to working.

Then you’ve got Android “users” go on and on about how much better their phones are but, let’s face it, it’s like comparing a Lada (Android) to a Lexus (Apple). Sure, they both drive but one, the Lexus (Apple), drives so much better. Looks better too.

I’d just leave it now, if I were you. Maybe distract them by claiming you think Linux “systems” are rubbish. Might start them squabbling amongst themselves for a bit and you can go enjoy your evening.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Wouldn’t bother, N. You’re arguing with the PC “master race” here. Rotund, red faced, guys wearing “Qwertee”, or faded metal band, t-shirts who simply hate Apple products regardless of how superior they may be.

The fact of the matter is Apple iPhones, iMacs or MacBooks are the most “user-friendly” machines out there, have been for years. The “desktops“ just need to be plugged in to start, whereas with a PC you’re hours getting it from the box to working.

Then you’ve got Android “users” go on and on about how much better their phones are but, let’s face it, it’s like comparing a Lada (Android) to a Lexus (Apple). Sure, they both drive but one, the Lexus (Apple), drives so much better. Looks better too.

I’d just leave it now, if I were you. Maybe distract them by claiming you think Linux “systems” are rubbish. Might start them squabbling amongst themselves for a bit and you can go enjoy your evening.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I like Apple, but when working from home and accessing my work portal and desktop which is windows based is a nuisance. Their keyboard is delicate to say the least, when I hook up a regular keyboard shortcut keys and using Alt for excel quick access toolbar doesn't work the same and then when i copy anything I get an annoying dialogue box appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Big brand cleaning products when Tesco own brand stuff does nearly as good a job

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The “desktops“ just need to be plugged in to start, whereas with a PC you’re hours getting it from the box to working.

Someone hasn't used a Windows PC in a decade or more. Note - your Mac is a PC. Has been since 2006. Sorry.

Pretending its still the 2000s is the norm for Apple delusionists - OSX was better than XP then and if you could tolerate the original iPhone having no features it looked lovely and shiny. But it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Now your just been very silly, theirs almost no difference in performance between the latest Samsung and the latest iPhone, it's simply people love the brand that's served them well in the past or looks a little more fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ozmo wrote: »
    Horrible stuff - the story goes, yonks ago the milk arrived sour - not wanting to waste it they used it anyway - people got used to the taste - to this day they make it with a process that emulates this sour milk taste.

Quick search and its in the sun so it must be true :pac:
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2248773/this-is-why-american-chocolate-tastes-so-revolting/

When our family over in the US come back for a holiday there is half a suitcase of cadburys, tayto and assorted irish snacks and confectionry going home with them... chocolate over there is bland mainly.

Advertisement