Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

trapp wrote: »
    When do you think schools could reopen.

I think January 2021 and September 2021 for Dublin schools for the reasons above.

We can't discuss it if you won't give your opinion.

Mine is only an opinion but you won't give any other than that mine is wrong.

As has been said to you by other you go on like you are sure and have no proof or evidence about this it is all just wind.

You dont answer quesrions asked of you.

As stated earlier I dont feel the need to state a date but you are talking rubbish

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

The global pandemic.

And the fact that putting safety of pupils families at risk isn't really acceptable when schools could open more safely in January.

Safety will be even harder to set up in many Dublin schools so might be Sept 2021 before they can reopen for that reason. Safety.

Why would it be any safer in January 2021 than September 2020?

When do you believe colleges will reopen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

khalessi wrote: »
    As has been said to you by other you go on like you are sure and have no proof or evidence about this it is all just wind.

You dont answer quesrions asked of you.

As stated earlier I dont feel the need to state a date but you are talking rubbish

I'm talking rubbish but you don't have an opinion.

I'd love to hear an alternative view because I hope mine is wrong.

But logically and from a safety point of view I cannot see schools open before January 2021 in the country and September 2021 in Dublin.

aido79 wrote: »
    Why would it be any safer in January 2021 than September 2020?

When do you believe colleges will reopen?

Passing of time and hopefully the virus will have eased.

Schools will have more time to prepare.

Colleges and universities?

Honestly I would say other than sporadic in class learning, September 2021.

I'm talking rubbish but you don't have an opinion.

I'd love to hear an alternative view because I hope mine is wrong.

But logically and from a safety point of view I cannot see schools open before January 2021 in the country and September 2021 in Dublin.

I have given an opinion if you just go through my posts you will see it. I wont give a date as I am not into scaremongering

• Advertisement

I have given an opinion if you just go through my posts you will see it. I wont give a date as I am not into scaremongering

Well if you think I'm scaremongering with September 2021 then you must believe schools will open before that?

I wish they would.

Could you explain why you think they will or eve discuss the merits of my argument?

Well if you think I'm scaremongering with September 2021 then you must believe schools will open before that?

I wish they would.

Could you explain why you think they will or eve discuss the merits of my argument?

I dont think you have an argument as there is no evidence or validity to any of your statements, if there was I would

I dont think you have an argument as there is no evidence or validity to any of your statements, if there was I would

I'll try once more.

For public safety reasons in the midst of a global pandemic I believe schools will remain closed until January 2021.

Schools in some areas such as Dublin, Limerick and Cork will likely remain closed until summer 2021 or even September 2021.

I'd love to hear why this will not happen?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Passing of time and hopefully the virus will have eased.

Schools will have more time to prepare.

Colleges and universities?

Honestly I would say other than sporadic in class learning, September 2021.

No offense but you really have no idea what you are talking about do you? I know you said it's just your opinion but you need to give reasons for making the statements you are making since you keep repeating them

How can the schools prepare for it regardless of how much time they have?

What do the thousands of students currently studying college courses do for the next 17 months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

I'll try once more.

For public safety reasons in the midst of a global pandemic I believe schools will remain closed until January 2021.

Schools in some areas such as Dublin, Limerick and Cork will likely remain closed until summer 2021 or even September 2021.

For a start, two school terms/tracks is not that workable, state exams etc. All back at the same time or none.

• Advertisement

aido79 wrote: »
    No offense but you really have no idea what you are talking about do you? I know you said it's just your opinion but you need to give reasons for making the statements you are making since you keep repeating them

How can the schools prepare for it regardless of how much time they have?

What do the thousands of students currently studying college courses do for the next 17 months?

Public Safety will come first and will dictate that schools and colleges will not open until safe to do so.

Schools will need time to prepare to work and adhere to social distancing as best they can. This preparation will take time.

Online learning will have to work in colleges until then or possibly they can find a way to work within social distancing. It might be easier as dealing with adults instead of children but student accomadation and so on would be an issue.

I'll try once more.

THe question asked of the thread is HOW. I gather you still dont understand that basic premise as you keep offering when. Just because you state a month is not a how, it is a when.

So how will it be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

THe question asked of the thread is HOW. I gather you still dont understand that basic premise as you keep offering when. Just because you state a month is not a how, it is a when.

So how will it be done?

This thread will go on for eternity. Can we just take things as they come ?

Everyone just starts school a year later.

Or next school year runs from Jan 2021 to end of July 2021 with less school tours etc and reduced easter break.

August off

Back to normal September 2021.

Safety has to be first for children and their families.

No way could safety be certain in September.

Jan or Feb 2021 earliest.

And I say that with a heavy heart.

Less school tours?!!! Hiw many days do you think can be clawed back from all those tours they go on?

For a start, two school terms/tracks is not that workable, state exams etc. All back at the same time or none.

Well then I fear it will be September 2021.

I hope I'm wrong.

If a vaccine or treatment comes on the scene before then that changes everything.

I'm basing this on no vaccine or treatment.

I know it would be terrible but I can't see how schools will be safe before then.

And surely we can't put safety at risk.

Less school tours?!!! Hiw many days do you think can be clawed back from all those tours they go on?

GAA matches, sports days and so on.

Not that many days I know but stil.

So how will it be done?

With much time spent on planning to adhere to social distancing and the severity of the virus reducing over time.

If no treatment this will be well into next year or even September 2021.

Well then I fear it will be September 2021.

I hope I'm wrong.

If a vaccine or treatment comes on the scene before then that changes everything.

I'm basing this on no vaccine or treatment.

I know it would be terrible but I can't see how schools will be safe before then.

And surely we can't put safety at risk.

Before when? If it's not here before January, I.e 8 months, that's September 2021 a struggle too.

Maybe we exterminate the kids so they cant infect, on public safety grounds, the old and vulnerable, just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

The whole country has shut down except for essential services. We cannot predict the future.
    My advice is to live day to day.

GAA matches, sports days and so on.

Not that many days I know but stil.

What do you do for a living because it is clear you have no idea about schools or is this another question you wont answer?

GAA matches generally take place at the end of the day, some schools dont do sports days and in mine it takes two hours, so far on your schedule we have 2 hours and a school tour one day so in total 1 school day and two hours

• Advertisement

Before when? If it's not here before January, I.e 8 months, that's September 2021 a struggle too.

Maybe we exterminate the kids so they cant infect, on public safety grounds, the old and vulnerable, just to be sure.

Hopefully by September there will be progress with a treatment or vaccine.

If not enough planning will have occured to adhere to social distancing.

Children picking up the virus and bringing it home will be a public safety risk and as such schools will not open before September 2021 in my opinion.

I would love to be wrong.

Hopefully by September there will be progress with a treatment or vaccine.

If not enough planning will have occured to adhere to social distancing.

Children picking up the virus and bringing it home will be a public safety risk and as such schools will not open before September 2021 in my opinion.

I would love to be wrong.

It's a public safety risk not to educate kids as well.

What do you do for a living because it is clear you have no idea about schools or is this another question you wont answer?

GAA matches generally take place at the end of the day, some schools dont do sports days and in mine it takes two hours, so far on your schedule we have 2 hours and a school tour one day so in total 1 school day and two hours

That doesn't matter, I'm suggesting next school year to run from January to July 2021 with less other activities whatever they might be to make up the time lost.

Back to normal from September 2021.

That's a best case scenario.

More likely is a restart adhering to social distancing from September 2021.

I'm involved in education and would love to be back tomorrow but I just can't see it being safe until 2021 and possibly not until September 2021.

It's a public safety risk not to educate kids as well.

It's a terrible thing but not a public safety risk when we can open schools safely a year down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'll try once more.

Honestly I cannot see this happening at all!

Even if social distancing has to be done by hook or by crook some level of schooling will be in progress by September.

As a secondary teacher if we aren’t fully open I’d expect some way to be found. Even something like all subjects once a week. So LCs get two days of the same time table (split in half and then those two days repeated for the other half). All other year groups have one day a week in school and online tuition for the rest.

Essentially what I’m saying is a way will be found for a level of learning and increase up if the numbers stay stable and reduces down if they don’t

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Go ahead, try it! Ha I dont have kids, but try telling parents this **** with schooling will run past SEPTEMBER LOL!!!! The pubs arent essential etc, we are just going to have to deal with more people contracting it, if needs be...

I would say getting a good portion of population back to work is first step, undo some of the social restrictions, maybe allow small gatherings of several people. Lots of stuff is just nowhere near important enough to justify a lot more deaths or transmission, sporting events, pubs etc, large gatherings of people for concerts etc. Travel can be locked down for a good while, but schools not being open again by September? LOL! if they arent, there will be some fierce backlash and then the government will change their mind, like they do here immediately when faced with any opposition...

It's a terrible thing but not a public safety risk when we can open schools safely a year down the line.

You presumably think that the French are reckless in the extreme by planning to gradually reopen schools from mid May?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

It is so difficult to see how schools will be managed in the midst of all of this. It will be interesting to see what some of our European counterparts do to address this problem. As other posters have correctly pointed out; schools are a breeding ground for all kinds of ailments and covid would be no different.

One way or another, I reckon the schools will be open in September in some capacity. Maybe they will stagger attendance, certain classes in on certain days etc. It is so complex, I am struggling to wrap my head around it!

I am a speech and language therapist working in a private clinic which closed on the same day as the schools in March. The kids I work with primarily have a diagnosis of ASD, and some would have a comorbid ID. It would be extremely difficult for me to work with this population while maintaining social distancing. Lots of hands-on and physical play, sharing of toys etc. Certainly any group therapy will be out the window. I would not be worried for my own personal health, but for my dad who is in his 60s and my brother who has asthma. Regardless, work will have to recommence sooner or later as these children need services.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Birdy

It'll be strange if Ireland don't follow the rest of Europe regarding schools. They've copied everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

Birdy wrote: »
    It'll be strange if Ireland don't follow the rest of Europe regarding schools. They've copied everything else.

In reality nobody has responded fast enough, if we had our numbers would be less. Now everyone is learning from others mistakes. France opening schools soon is not going to work. It completely contradicts all social distancing rules.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement