Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

www.thelocal.dk/20200413/schools-and-day-care-centres-gear-up-for-staggered-and-restricted-reopening/amp

See the requirements listed here for Danish schools to open. A lot of preparation would be required for Irish schools to achieve these standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Actually one idea that a private school I taught in early in my career could be done easily enough, staggered lunch breaks. 1st, third and 5th together. 2nd 4th and 6th. Less likely to congregate. They did it to facilitate canteen use. We could do it to try and minimise all 750 students on lunch together

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Birdy

In reality nobody has responded fast enough, if we had our numbers would be less. Now everyone is learning from others mistakes. France opening schools soon is not going to work. It completely contradicts all social distancing rules.

Essential services have to operate. As Macron states, online teaching isn't sufficient. Denmark and Austria are reopening theirs this week.

Over here, we're more concerned about getting the hardware and DIY stores open again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

www.thelocal.dk/20200413/schools-and-day-care-centres-gear-up-for-staggered-and-restricted-reopening/amp

See the requirements listed here for Danish schools to open. A lot of preparation would be required for Irish schools to achieve these standards.

This didn’t work for me but I found

The Local has seen the instructions sent to daycare institutions. They include:

A recommended floor area of 6m2 per child for vuggestue (nursery) and 4m2 per child for børnehave (kindergarten), meaning some institutions may not be able to accept all children back at first.
    Children to play with the same small groups of 3-5, mainly outside.
    Children to sit two metres apart at tables.
    Food not to be shared.
    Staff to supervise the children washing their hands at least every two hours, including after coughing or sneezing, before and after food.
    Regular cleaning, including cleaning toys twice a day, disinfecting surfaces such as taps, toilet flushes, tables, door handles, handrails, light switches twice a day.
    Staff meetings to be held outside or via telephone/video call.
    Those that travel on buses provided by day care, to sit two metres apart. More buses will be provided.
    Drop off and collection to be done at intervals and if possible outside.

I think my creche would be looking at maybe 1/6 the number of children....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

trapp wrote: »
    That doesn't matter, I'm suggesting next school year to run from January to July 2021 with less other activities whatever they might be to make up the time lost.

Back to normal from September 2021.

That's a best case scenario.

More likely is a restart adhering to social distancing from September 2021.

I'm involved in education and would love to be back tomorrow but I just can't see it being safe until 2021 and possibly not until September 2021.

It’ll happen. September 2020.

Life will go on when numbers fall to an acceptable level.

This will not wait on a vaccine. It’s madness economically to think it will.

There’ll be restrictions and **** will be different but life including education will gob back in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,033 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

In reality nobody has responded fast enough, if we had our numbers would be less. Now everyone is learning from others mistakes. France opening schools soon is not going to work. It completely contradicts all social distancing rules.

To be fair, our numbers are to too high yet. Our health service is still able to cope. It's important to keep transmission to a minimum amongst the vulnerable people But apart from that, we either all have to get it, or wait for a vaccine or stay under lockdown forever.

We have to become immune and it will take at least a year whatever way you slice it. They may choose to open schools to speed up transmission and then close them when we get the transmission level up to the right rate

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

January 2021 at the earliest unfortunately.
    You have no more idea than the rest of us, so stop with these uneducated "claims"

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

To be fair, our numbers are to too high yet. Our health service is still able to cope. It's important to keep transmission to a minimum amongst the vulnerable people But apart from that, we either all have to get it, or wait for a vaccine or stay under lockdown forever.

We have to become immune and it will take at least a year whatever way you slice it. They may choose to open schools to speed up transmission and then close them when we get the transmission level up to the right rate

We aren't as bad as other countries but our numbers and deaths are still not acceptable. Speed up transmission??? These are peoples lives, teachers lives, kids families lives....the way people talk is just crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm involved in education and would love to be back tomorrow but I just can't see it being safe until 2021 and possibly not until September 2021.

I'm also involved in education and I'm going to hazard a guess that you're talking through your hole

I don't know when schools will go back but the way people talk about this virus sometimes and peoples lives as if they're expendable so that their kids can be looked after is just shocking to me. I don't know what will happen but I really wish people would be more careful with their wording. People have lost their lives to this and talk of sending schools back to 'speed up transmission' is shocking to me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

NDWC wrote: »
    I'm also involved in education and I'm going to hazard a guess that you're talking through your hole

Do you believe schools will be safe before January 2021?

If not safe, they can't open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

This didn’t work for me but I found

The Local has seen the instructions sent to daycare institutions. They include:

A recommended floor area of 6m2 per child for vuggestue (nursery) and 4m2 per child for børnehave (kindergarten), meaning some institutions may not be able to accept all children back at first.
    Children to play with the same small groups of 3-5, mainly outside.
    Children to sit two metres apart at tables.
    Food not to be shared.
    Staff to supervise the children washing their hands at least every two hours, including after coughing or sneezing, before and after food.
    Regular cleaning, including cleaning toys twice a day, disinfecting surfaces such as taps, toilet flushes, tables, door handles, handrails, light switches twice a day.
    Staff meetings to be held outside or via telephone/video call.
    Those that travel on buses provided by day care, to sit two metres apart. More buses will be provided.
    Drop off and collection to be done at intervals and if possible outside.

I think my creche would be looking at maybe 1/6 the number of children....

This will not be workable at all.

Kids will be kids and are really good spreaders with their habits.

Any child even in these circumstances going home to a vulnerable person would be creating a risk to that person's life.

It really is a tough one, no easy solutions. Probably will come down to cocooning vulnerable people but in an ironclad way and for the rest of the population to get on with their lives.

Do you believe schools will be safe before January 2021?

If not safe, they can't open.

I agree here. If kids need to go to college one year later and kids need to start infants when they're 5 and a half etc, then is that really that big a deal? I would like to look back and say Ireland put every person's health as a priority. The supermarket staff should also not be being expected to work in their current set up. People need to shop less and if possible shop online and let the staff work staggered shifts with limits to how many orders allowed. We could all live for two weeks off one shopping order. But that is a whole other issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

This will not be workable at all.

Kids will be kids and are really good spreaders with their habits.

Any child even in these circumstances going home to a vulnerable person would be creating a risk to that person's life.

It really is a tough one, no easy solutions. Probably will come down to cocooning vulnerable people but in an ironclad way and for the rest of the population to get on with their lives.

Ironclad cocooning will require re-housing tens of thousands who live with vulnerable people or vice versa. Not an easy solution.

I agree here. If kids need to go to college one year later and kids need to start infants when they're 5 and a half etc, then is that really that big a deal? I would like to look back and say Ireland put every person's health as a priority. The supermarket staff should also not be being expected to work in their current set up. People need to shop less and if possible shop online and let the staff work staggered shifts with limits to how many orders allowed. We could all live for two weeks off one shopping order. But that is a whole other issue.

I think schools are different to supermarkets.

Adults work in supermarkets and generally people are in and out.

Schools completely different issue.

Can't see how starting in January 2021 and running the year though to July 2021 would be a problem.

Alternatively waiting until September 2021 and everyone a year behind.

Can't see how starting in January 2021 and running the year though to July 2021 would be a problem.

Schools are far worse and impossible for social distancing. Hygiene standards nowhere near where they would need to be. But I do think supermarket staff deserve stricter regulations. People in my view are overdoing the supermarket trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Youve already been told by a mod to stop waffling about Jan 2021

I honestly dont believe by what you have printed in this thread that you are involved in education unless you are counting walking by a school

We aren't as bad as other countries but our numbers and deaths are still not acceptable. Speed up transmission??? These are peoples lives, teachers lives, kids families lives....the way people talk is just crazy.

We all have to become immune, right? So how do we achieve that and how long might that take?

We can either wait for the vaccine which will take at least a year. Or we can let people get it and become immune that way. The rate at which people get it can't exceed the health service's ability to deal with critically ill patients. But the health service isn't overrun so he rate of transmission isn't too high yet.

What do you think the plan is? For example, do you think the plan is to stay in lockdown for a few more weeks to kill the virus and then we - all go back to normal? What do you think the actual plan is?

Starting children in JI at 51/2 is no big deal but some of these kids will be 6 nearly seven if we put them off a year

khalessi wrote: »

I honestly dont believe by what you have printed in this thread that you are involved in education unless you are counting walking by a school

Why would a mod stop people expressing an opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

When are the Chinese back to School?

It would be a huge deal. If 2000 kids have to wait a year to start school. Then another 2000 would be also looking to start. Not enough places available then for everyone. The schools were I live are already stretched to the limit without backlogs building up.

That’s just one small example of why we can’t stay locked down.

Our society is a production line. People die, people are born, people graduate and people retire. Kids start school, kids finish school.

khalessi wrote: »

I sincerely hope that date is wrong and schools return earlier.

I would not want to return though to a situation where families are put at risk.

What about schools with large numbers of Traveller children.

Imagine the virus on a halting site.

Or would that be ok.

Safety has to come first and that may well mean September 2021.

I don't know when schools will go back but the way people talk about this virus sometimes and peoples lives as if they're expendable so that their kids can be looked after is just shocking to me. I don't know what will happen but I really wish people would be more careful with their wording. People have lost their lives to this and talk of sending schools back to 'speed up transmission' is shocking to me.

That's the only way schools might be reopened in the next year is if transmission rates fall too low. Opening things will increase transmission rate, right? Do you agree with that much? I've already asked what you think the actual plan is in the last post so I hope you answer that because it's actually a pretty important question.

We all have to become immune, right? So how do we achieve that and how long might that take?

We can either wait for the vaccine which will take at least a year. Or we can let people get it and become immune that way. The rate at which people get it can't exceed the health service's ability to deal with critically ill patients. But the health service isn't overrun so he rate of transmission isn't too high yet.

What do you think the plan is? For example, do you think the plan is to stay in lockdown for a few more weeks to kill the virus and then we - all go back to normal? What do you think the actual plan is?

I have no idea what the longterm plan is, but you sound like you're talking about herd immunity..Simon harris said today the goal is to keep people out of the icu aka keep people from getting this awful virus. People of all ages die from this. Children will catch up. Many start late and miss a lot if time as it is we will all be in tbr same boat. Maths and English will be prioritised and the children will catch up. Online work is already being given to keep the children working. People are dying, it's more serious and important. I don't know what will happen but life is on hold as it is. People will not send their kids to school in this set up and socially distance from their own family. It is going to be one or the other.

Well looking at the reproduction rate of the virus they have fallen from 4.5% on March 16th to about 1% now. So giving it another 3 weeks it should hopefully fall below 1% and then we have to maintain it there.

Simon Harris has talked bout tweaking the restrictions so I reckon the schools will be among the last to be tweaked.

If they get to below 1% in May, lockdown will be lifted and we will be where we were 2 weeks ago and then they will take a wait and see approach for every tweak to see how it affects the numbers.

Schools will be hard to reopen as they will have to be staggered, and assess affect on reproduction number. For any rises in the reproduction rates they may reign back the restrictions. Maintaing social distancing in schools will be difficult and hand hygiene if we go anyway towards what Denmark is suggesting.

That's the only way schools might be reopened in the next year is if transmission rates fall too low. Opening things will increase transmission rate, right? Do you agree with that much? I've already asked what you think the actual plan is in the last post so I hope you answer that because it's actually a pretty important question.[/quote

I'm pretty sure even the highest officials in government don't know what is going to happen next. I as a random poster on boards do not know. What I do know is people's lives are more important than kids missing 6 months of face to face teaching. No I don't know what will happen next, but I hope to god people's lives and health are prioritised.

What do you think that actual plan is? We all have to become immune one way or the other either through a vaccine or contracting the virus. So what’s the actual plan, as you see it?

I think we have to get back to some sort of normal soon as waiting for a safe vaccine could be years away and the human impact of the lockdown could be grave.

However, as I've said, presuming the virus remains, it will take schools until January at the very earliest to be ready to reopen.

At that stage hospitals should be more prepared in terms of capacity too.

Schools were first to close and will be last to reopen I fear.

I have no idea what the longterm plan is, but you sound like you're talking about herd immunity..Simon harris said today the goal is to keep people out of the icu aka keep people from getting this awful virus. People of all ages die from this. ...

Ok. So are we just waiting for a vaccine that might take a year IF everything goes to plan? Then mass produce the vaccine and roll out and administer it to everyone. So stay in lockdown to minimise the virus transmission until about this time next year. Is that what you think the plan probably is?

• Advertisement

What do you think that actual plan is? We all have to become immune one way or the other either through a vaccine or contracting the virus. So what’s the actual plan, as you see it?

My hope is better treatment progress and some form of vaccine and improved antibody tests. These all take time. This is a new virus as we will know. I hope a lot happens in the science of it in the next 3 months, but I don't know how long it will all take. Until then life has changed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement