Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is this all going to cost and who will pay for it ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'll email the minister and ask him is there any chance that we can simply skip over the endless dreadful aftermath that awaits and just go back to the way things were. If we all make a concerted effort to go mad partying and spending during what's left of the summer we can skip over the recession that awaits.

Whatever bag of misery the global economy is ready to punish us with we'll make up for it by spending locally. Hopefully this time the govt will have the cojones to tell d'EU to "shove it" with whatever bottomless pit they are readying for us to fill for the next few decades to pay for the Corona.

Look we the people are in charge here, if we all decide we won't pay the debt and we won't have the recession there won't be one. We should encourage other countries to do the same. Bad enough to have 1000s dieing without a protracted period of economic misery and high tax following it.

I'm still blue in the face from the last recession, bondholders this, property tax that, bailout the next thing. They can fcuk right off if they think I'm putting up with another decade or more of that nonsense

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If we all make a concerted effort to go mad partying and spending during what's left of the summer we can skip over the recession that awaits.

Bizarrely, that's exactly the approach that's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Varadkar has pledged no income tax increases to fund this, which means he's planning to introduce another tax or increase USC.

How much is this all expected to cost by the end and more importantly who will be hit to pay for it and how ?

The same people who pay for everything in this country - the narrow band of higher rate taxpayers (around 20% of the population).

The Shinners certainly won't be paying for anything. That's not what they do. They want everything for nothing and scream at you until they get it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

The best thing to do is just plough on and don't let the system dictate your happiness and contentment, it sounds hippy dippy and sunshine lollipops and rainbows.
    But fck it, do what's in front of us.
    There's more of us than them.
    They're nothing without us, nothing.

All that glitters ain't gold, I'll never validate my contentment and happiness on the system.

I'm more right than left, probably a moderate as the left need the right to get their free house's welfare and entitlements.
    While the right sacrifices their brains,hard work ethics to pay for the left behinders...

Then the moderate try to get by with what they need and have...

Yin and Yang...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

The same people who always pay. We will be bailing ourselves out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭saabsaab

They could bring in a once off tax on savings/shares/bonds above a certain level say 10k, say 10-15%?

They say that Irish savings are 200-300. B Could cover it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Geuze wrote: »
    Savers, credit unions, pension funds, etc.

Banks, Financial Institutions, the super rich, and pension funds in the main.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

tom1ie wrote: »
    No I understand that. That’s grand. But where has this 500bn come from.
    Is it liquified assets like another poster has said or is it that the ecb is now just printing more and more money.
    If so does that not just devalue the euro?

Good question.

I can give you some answers.

(1) The ESM borrows on financial markets.

https://www.esm.europa.eu/investors/esm/esm-bonds

So all the usual investors buy its bonds - banks, credit unions, life assurers, pension funds, etc.

(2) the EIB is a bank.

https://www.eib.org/en/index.htm

It doesn't seem to raise deposits?

It does issue bonds, so the same answer as the ESM.

tom1ie wrote: »
    No I understand that. That’s grand. But where has this 500bn come from.
    Is it liquified assets like another poster has said or is it that the ecb is now just printing more and more money.
    If so does that not just devalue the euro?

The ESM and EIB lending are nothing directly to do with the ECB.

saabsaab wrote: »
    They could bring in a once off tax on savings/shares/bonds above a certain level say 10k, say 10-15%?

They say that Irish savings are 200-300. B Could cover it.

Expropriation?

A one-off wealth tax?

Irish household deposits are more like 100-120bn, although obviously all financial assets are worth more.

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    Expropriation?

A one-off wealth tax?

Irish household deposits are more like 100-120bn, although obviously all financial assets are worth more.

Yes. They say it is a war so everything is on the table. Would also encourage more spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

saabsaab wrote: »
    Yes. They say it is a war so everything is on the table.

Right, indeed. So i assume you're fine with we the people taking ownership of your home or car or bicycle or anything else you own. After all, it's a war and we need to take your wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

We do have 14+ Billion of Apple's Tax Money resting in our account. Personally I would use that to pay for majority of it.

Right, indeed. So i assume you're fine with we the people taking ownership of your home or car or bicycle or anything else you own. After all, it's a war and we need to take your wealth.

If our homes cars and bicycles are taken, we would have to be rehoused, transported somehow.

The Muppet wrote: »
    We do have 14+ Billion of Apple's Tax Money resting in our account. Personally I would use that to pay for majority of it.

Is that cleared yet? What is the situation with that in the courts now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭Dorakman

You’re aptly named muppet. That money is in escrow, and not ours. Stop peddling lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

jrosen wrote: »
    The same people who always pay. We will be bailing ourselves out.

I'm not so sure this time. They can't leverage us for anything else. This time the rich take the hit with inflation.

Dorakman wrote: »
    You’re aptly named muppet. That money is in escrow, and not ours. Stop peddling lies.

Never heard that before , so original. We could always drop our appeal and admit we were giving the tax breaks.

Never heard that before , so original. We could always drop our appeal and admit we were giving the tax breaks.

Let’s say we do, and let’s say Apple for some bizarre reason don’t appeal on any level, the money still doesn’t belong to us. We’re being used as grubby tax collectors by the EU. What’s so hard to understand about that?

Let’s say we do, and let’s say Apple for some bizarre reason don’t appeal on any level, the money still doesn’t belong to us. We’re being used as grubby tax collectors by the EU. What’s so hard to understand about that?

where did you get the impression i had difficulty understanding you?

Personally Id have been no problem with that scenario, after all its tax they should have been paying since they opened shop here. whats so hard to understand about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,196 ✭✭✭✭noodler

2u2me wrote: »
    I'm not so sure this time. They can't leverage us for anything else. This time the rich take the hit with inflation.

The tax increases last time around disproportionately hot higher earners.

where did you get the impression i had difficulty understanding you?

Personally Id have been no problem with that scenario, after all its tax they should have been paying since they opened shop here. whats so hard to understand about that?

You literally said a few comments back that the money is resting in “our account” and that you’d use that to pay for the current crisis, which demonstrates a general lack of understanding about the entire case, even on a basic level.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

noodler wrote: »
    The tax increases last time around disproportionately hot higher earners.

he means the rich that barely pay any tax. Not the high earners here on a pittance in the greater scheme of things, who are taken for a ride here...

You literally said a few comments back that the money is resting in “our account” and that you’d use that to pay for the current crisis, which demonstrates a general lack of understanding about the entire case, even on a basic level.

Enlighten me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,196 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Idbatterim wrote: »
    he means the rich that barely pay any tax. Not the high earners here on a pittance in the greater scheme of things, who are taken for a ride here...

Could you elaborate?

Everyone always seems to think there is magic money available from someone who earns more than them

Enlighten me.

Sorry, I’m not open to new challenges.

Sorry, I’m not open to new challenges.

Cheers, that was easy.

i would also revoke Leos promise to allow tax exiles stuck here in the current crisis off the hook. That could be worth another few billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Could you elaborate?

Everyone always seems to think there is magic money available from someone who earns more than them

We have spent the last few decades importing cars, buying Chinese goods, borrowing foreign money. Yes we export a few pound of butter and have a few foreign mega corps that leave a bit more money in this country than they take out but we have become ferociously lazy. Nobody wants to make anything or fix anything anymore. Let's just dawdle in our office for another day and pay outsiders to do the real work, of course we are low on money if we carry on like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Varadkar has pledged no income tax increases to fund this, which means he's planning to introduce another tax or increase USC.

How much is this all expected to cost by the end and more importantly who will be hit to pay for it and how ?

The private sector pays, as always.The public sector, which apparently its now practically illegal to criticise, benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Could you elaborate?

I definitely meant the super rich. The type that appeard in the Panama papers and made a fortune from the last recession.

We were ourselves a tax haven for the massive corporations, they set up shop here to avoid paying higher taxes elsewhere.
    A race to the bottom of governments looking to undercut each other as MNCs get disgustingly rich.

Advertisement