Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where is the best place to buy a bench and some dumbbells

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Man there really is nothing anywhere. even a little barbell like argos or whatever is sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Stock ain't coming in either,anywhere it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's even worse than the PPE shortage.

It's not like Aer Lingus are gonna head off to China to bring us back a load of gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

It's even worse than the PPE shortage.

It's not like Aer Lingus are gonna head off to China to bring us back a load of gear.

It's also more effective as protection. Just walk around swinging a 7ft Oly bar and you'll be guaranteed social distance too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

You can adjust the resistance, change the tempo etc.

I think people sometimes get hung up on knowing the exact weight they're moving rather than concentrating on the contraction, effort etc

How ya meant to brag about your resistance band lifts tho :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

bluewolf wrote: »
    Man there really is nothing anywhere. even a little barbell like argos or whatever is sold out

Yes finally sucked it up last week and got a pair of 8kg DBs for €75 - raging at the price but worth it for the curls I guess :P

Will be reselling during the second wave for €100 though obvs. :pac:

Cupatae wrote: »
    How ya meant to brag about your resistance band lifts tho :D

"Repping the blue now, bruh"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Aldi have 6kg and 8kg kettlebells in on Sunday for €9.99. Not the heaviest but seems like decent value.

Bargain in these times,get there at 7am if you want them tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I had to get resistance bands for bicep curls as I just can't use a kettlebell properly for them. Having the majority of the weight "under" my hand just resulted in my wrist constantly flopping backwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

Picked up a barbell from Argos, got lucky this morning when I checked for stock had 1.

Yes finally sucked it up last week and got a pair of 8kg DBs for €75 - raging at the price but worth it for the curls I guess :P

Will be reselling during the second wave for €100 though obvs. :pac:

Just got a notification that the supplier I got stuff off that sells through Adverts has a pair of 7.5kg hex dumbbells for €45, if that's any consolation.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I wouldn't bother with a cheapo bench at home. There is one in my house I can use but I very rarely do.

I just do dips, standing press and weighted or inclined pushups instead.

The bench takes up room and just feels crap and unsafe. I would have no spotter. I therefore end up taking it easy, I remember checking numbers out and my bench should have been way higher when compared with say my dips, that will be down to not training the bench press but I am certain it is due to me taking it handy and stopping 2-3 reps short of what I could have managed on a very stable gym bench with a spotter.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

bluewolf wrote: »
    nice one... was it available for home delivery
    i can't tell if half these things will never offer home delivery or are just out of stock right now

I don't remember if it was available for home delivery to be honest I just seen it available and reserved for collection right away

rubadub wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with a cheapo bench at home. There is one in my house I can use but I very rarely do.

I just do dips, standing press and weighted or inclined pushups instead.

The bench takes up room and just feels crap and unsafe. I would have no spotter. I therefore end up taking it easy, I remember checking numbers out and my bench should have been way higher when compared with say my dips, that will be down to not training the bench press but I am certain it is due to me taking it handy and stopping 2-3 reps short of what I could have managed on a very stable gym bench with a spotter.

I'll give you 500 for the bench :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Just got a notification that the supplier I got stuff off that sells through Adverts has a pair of 7.5kg hex dumbbells for €45, if that's any consolation.....

Thanks Alf :pac::pac::pac: Oh well.

I guess there might be delivery on top of the 45, but still - would have been a nice saving to start my 45kg slam ball fund :P:P

Thanks Alf :pac::pac::pac: Oh well.

I guess there might be delivery on top of the 45, but still - would have been a nice saving to start my 45kg slam ball fund :P:P

€5 delivery.

Can't wait to go play with the slam ball again, despite the funky DOMS it gave me

OmegaGene wrote: »

Yesterday afternoon they put up new arrival of 5s, 7.5s, 15s, 17.5s, 20s and 25s and now all but those 2 pairs of 17.5s left

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jarren1

One pair left

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

there are more up now, 17.5 and 25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Mcsport have new stock,got a squat rack , nearly fell off chair with excitement . Am pretty much self sufficient after that arrives. Its grand in summer as can load everything out to garden, will be different story in winter though so ill likely be toddling back to gym.Is it a bit extreme to be considering an extension to back of house :-/

Managed to get a bench and 50kg of weights in Argos,got to give them massive credit,out of stock for months , knowing the massive demand, didn't gouge a cent, 159.99 for the bench and weights, Preacher pad,two dumbells bars. Worth much more these. Days as it's a solid set up,put it together yesterday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Managed to get a bench and 50kg of weights in Argos,got to give them massive credit,out of stock for months , knowing the massive demand, didn't gouge a cent, 159.99 for the bench and weights, Preacher pad,two dumbells bars. Worth much more these. Days as it's a solid set up,put it together yesterday.
    Did you order online?
    I've been trying for weeks, every day, always days no stock in any store.
    What store did you collect from?

eeeee wrote: »
    Did you order online?
    I've been trying for weeks, every day, always days no stock in any store.
    What store did you collect from?

Sorry ,yea ,ordered online,like you, checking daily for months,seen that they got stock in Argos UK,and just chanced it,collected in castlebar ,took 7 days to arrive in store.

Just ordered this now ,free delivery which is amazing.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B087TLQVH3/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doubt I'll be regular gym goer for a while untill it's back to full normality,can't be dealing with the lack of freedom to move around,just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ju_Ju

Ju_Ju wrote: »
    Like everyone else in Ireland, I'm trying to get a wall mounted rig, bench, bar, and plates.

Everywhere I've checked is sold out, doing pre orders for next month, or not answering the phone / emails.

I've tried:
    Irish Lifting
    Strength Shop
    Blk box
    The gym newry
    MC sport
    Fitness equipment Ireland

I won't entertain the clowns on donedeal / adverts.

Can anyone suggest an alternative?

The best I'm seeing is all the above for ~€1250 delivered from Newry sometime next month.

I went with "The Gym" in Newry after. I got my delivery this week. Ended up getting a few bits that weren't listed on their website. Great crowd to deal with customer service wise and the equipment can't be faulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Essien wrote: »
    Aldi have 6kg and 8kg kettlebells in on Sunday for €9.99. Not the heaviest but seems like decent value.

How does one get notified of things like this for future reference? Just checking their website on the daily? social media?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

Just ordered this now ,free delivery which is amazing.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B087TLQVH3/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doubt I'll be regular gym goer for a while untill it's back to full normality,can't be dealing with the lack of freedom to move around,just me.
    Looks decent for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Sorry of this is the wrong place but looking for a home gym set up with an 8ft * 7ft shed.

Will any 6ft Olympic Barbell fit most Power Racks? Or do I need to get a special power rack for a 6ft bar

Above amazon one looks great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Ju_Ju wrote: »
    I went with "The Gym" in Newry after. I got my delivery this week. Ended up getting a few bits that weren't listed on their website. Great crowd to deal with customer service wise and the equipment can't be faulted.

Did you ring them?

Advertisement