Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where is the best place to buy a bench and some dumbbells

Options
  • 11-04-2020 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Fairly confident I can get a good fullbody workout with a set of 20kg dumbbells and a bench . Wheres the best place to buy ? The bench has to be decent though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

The bench is optional as you can do most, if not all exercises without a bench.
    It's hard to say about the best place to buy dumbbells as most shops are closed but do check the likes of adverts for some sales close to you.
    I do have a pair in a very good condition that I am not using at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Improvise, im using a pair of drive shafts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

OmegaGene wrote: »
    every man and his dog is on the prowl for dumbbells at the moment and they are either stupidly priced or out of stock, ebay seems to be the only option now and 20kg singles were around the £100 mark when i was looking
    could you not get an extra strong resistance band instead which can give a full body workout and no need for a bench

the edge fitness have them in stock

Can't find their website? Any link would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Can't find their website? Any link would be great

https://www.theedge-sports.com/fitness-c216

Got it, thanks to the person who mentioned them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You don't need a bench if your only considering doing this temporarily.

Just do it on the floor. (great song title)

Just do basic exercises, you don't need all that incline stuff.

A sturdy pull up bar in combination with a TRX will give you more options for exercises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

Dumbbells are the new toilet paper. Shops closed and stupidly expensive and hard to get online now.
    Agree bench not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

AllForIt wrote: »
    You don't need a bench if your only considering doing this temporarily.

Just do it on the floor. (great song title)

Just do basic exercises, you don't need all that incline stuff.

A sturdy pull up bar in combination with a TRX will give you more options for exercises.

How are you supposed to do db chest press on the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    How are you supposed to do db chest press on the floor

DB Floor Press.

Or get a band and do banded push ups for a greater range of motion.

10.5kg dumbbell. A bit light but will have to do.

Bands. Cheaper than buying a hape of dumbbells that will become paperweights in the not too distant future and probably more versatile.

• Advertisement

You’re not wrong
    The extra strong power band is a serious bit of kit, I was using it for deadlifts today

You can adjust the resistance, change the tempo etc.

I think people sometimes get hung up on knowing the exact weight they're moving rather than concentrating on the contraction, effort etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

You can adjust the resistance, change the tempo etc.

I think people sometimes get hung up on knowing the exact weight they're moving rather than concentrating on the contraction, effort etc
    Exactly us different foot postition or band under a concrete block more resistence at the top then!
    And just increase rep ranges and rest between sets!

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Exactly us different foot postition or band under a concrete block more resistence at the top then!
    And just increase rep ranges and rest between sets!

To be fair, if you've never tried them out I can see why they wouldn't seem as useful. When I started using them it was only for band pull apart and the like.

But they're a brilliant addition

To be fair, if you've never tried them out I can see why they wouldn't seem as useful. When I started using them it was only for band pull apart and the like.

But they're a brilliant addition
    For years id use a red band off a rack for warm ups like you say pull aparts rows etc etc.
    John Meadows has some great content on youtube lately and god forbid tiger fitness !

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    For years id use a red band off a rack for warm ups like you say pull aparts rows etc etc.
    John Meadows has some great content on youtube lately and god forbid tiger fitness !

Joe Exotic channel?

Joe Exotic channel?
    Lol no Mark Lobliner but that would be Class !

buy a few and add weights ?

Hadn't thought of that but might work. e.g buy three and use the heavier weights on the third for the others so might get dumbbell weight up to maybe 14kg.

It’s amazing how versatile the band is, I watched a couple of videos before I bought the band, I would 100% recommend them
    The extra strong one I picked up is marked up as 79-99kg so I can get a serious workout going

Blue band?

That’s the one, bought it from the edge in cork the other day

Got these handles as well. Just found some exercises the band's were twisting about a bit and distracting. They're dead handy

They look very handy, where did you get them ?

I picked up some resistance tubes from Argos and the fabric and sits in the door jam has frayed and the D buckle is in bits, I got a bit carried away while waiting for the power band to arrive

Gymless...they sell through Adverts mostly. Not sure if it means 'single unit' as in one handle because I paid twice that and got two pairs :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

Anyone see any adjustable benches left in stock anywhere? Somewhere that can deliver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

Also looking for some Home Gym Gear

Been on adverts for days but its chaos - been nipped by [above asking price offers] for a few days -

If anyone sees any stores with stocks and delivery of
    • 25mm Weight Plates 3kg +
    • Barbells 25mm diameter
    • ANYTHING!!

Please let us know, i would imagine i am not the only person who would be interested

Meanwhile making do with a bench and a pair of 18KGs - totally maxed out in terms of what i can do but continuing none the less (using a Metal Cabinet as a step up atm - decent burn in fairness when using the 18s - felt it well in my quads, but sorely missing a decent leg press)

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

liamtech wrote: »
    Meanwhile making do with a bench and a pair of 18KGs - totally maxed out in terms of what i can do but continuing none the less (using a Metal Cabinet as a step up atm - decent burn in fairness when using the 18s - felt it well in my quads, but sorely missing a decent leg press)

Get in some single leg work... Bulgarian split squats with the back foot on the cabinet (or the bench), for example. Slow tempo, add in a pause, etc. You'll get plenty or burn out of that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

Get in some single leg work... Bulgarian split squats with the back foot on the cabinet (or the bench), for example. Slow tempo, add in a pause, etc. You'll get plenty or burn out of that

Yea iv been really working out the mechanics of some old school dumbell only stuff - i have a bench too but no rack so

Off topic but the following new additions are hitting the spot
    • Sumo Squat with Single Dumbbell - so if i move all the plates to one i can get a 26KG - like you said at tempo this is pretty decent - really feel the hit
    • Bent over dumbbell raise is ok too - difficult with the mechanics of my kit though - bench is not sturdy and a bit low - still useful though
    • Chest Dumbbell Press is all about tempo obviously the 18s are light by comparison to where i was in the gym - tempo stretches it nicely
    • Shoulders/Triceps/Biceps are obviously the best - havent really been effected bar not having a Barbell - but decent progress and hit on most -

Its amazing in a Gym, my 'favorite days' would have been chest, back and legs - the big muscle groups - but at home its definitely the Arms and shoulders - had a tremendous day on Thursday with that grouping (Bicep/Tricep/Shoulders incl some super sets) - still feel a lite DOMS today, and Friday's DOMS were harsh - great feeling considering its been a month since i set foot in a gym

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

liamtech wrote: »
    Also looking for some Home Gym Gear

Been on adverts for days but its chaos - been nipped by [above asking price offers] for a few days -

If anyone sees any stores with stocks and delivery of
    • 25mm Weight Plates 3kg +
    • Barbells 25mm diameter
    • ANYTHING!!

Please let us know, i would imagine i am not the only person who would be interested

You can exercise the whole upper body with 18kg dumbbells. Even for DB Chest Press and Rows for the back if the keep the rest to 45-60 seconds and you can increase reps to 15-21 reps if the weights start to get light. Time under tension is a big factor for muscle growth

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP39n0ixCLU

decided im going to try and make this fellows bench tomorrow. I have the timber so will give it a go. nothing ventured nothing gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Has anyone ordered gym equipment from Elverys?

They have a selection of dumbbells in stock but states "PLEASE ALLOW 10 TO 15 WORKING DAYS FOR HOME GYM EQUIPMENT DELIVERY" at the checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Queue of about 50+ people outside my Lidl at opening time today. Wanted to get their dumbbells, but I went straight back home, can't be dealing with that shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Went to my local lidl this morning. Was one of the first in the door. Went to look for dumbells and kettlebells and all gone already. Some joke. I say the staff bought them all the night before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Queue of about 50+ people outside my Lidl at opening time today. Wanted to get their dumbbells, but I went straight back home, can't be dealing with that shíte.

Same. Just wanted a kettlebell. Asked a guy coming out and he said there were none and he was one of the first in. Joke.

Advertisement