Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where is the best place to buy a bench and some dumbbells

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

I see a lot of UK metal fabricators doing plates and axle bars now! (Macemuscles, theweightstandcompany)

No gnurling on the bars but they're probably printing money right now with he amount of orders they're getting. Fair play! Surprised someone over here isn't doing it! (And I don't mean the dodgy ones on donedeal! Ha)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Conybaz

Mellor wrote: »
    How does the size make it easier to use?
    Wouldn't the bigger size means it's a longer lever, and there for puts more torque on the wrist.

Because of bulk the body remains closer to your forearm hence not “hitting” it hard . I suppose less room for it to manoeuvre and gain momentum when swinging or doing snatch’s. The handles are also bigger which appear to give easier grip and control. I’ll send you pictures or a video later.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ju_Ju

Like everyone else in Ireland, I'm trying to get a wall mounted rig, bench, bar, and plates.

Everywhere I've checked is sold out, doing pre orders for next month, or not answering the phone / emails.

I've tried:
    Irish Lifting
    Strength Shop
    Blk box
    The gym newry
    MC sport
    Fitness equipment Ireland

I won't entertain the clowns on donedeal / adverts.

Can anyone suggest an alternative?

The best I'm seeing is all the above for ~€1250 delivered from Newry sometime next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Ju_Ju wrote: »
    Like everyone else in Ireland, I'm trying to get a wall mounted rig, bench, bar, and plates.

Everywhere I've checked is sold out, doing pre orders for next month, or not answering the phone / emails.

I've tried:
    Irish Lifting
    Strength Shop
    Blk box
    The gym newry
    MC sport
    Fitness equipment Ireland

I won't entertain the clowns on donedeal / adverts.

Can anyone suggest an alternative?

The best I'm seeing is all the above for ~€1250 delivered from Newry sometime next month.

Follow this lad on Instagram. He's sharing stuff bon stop when people get them in stock. Very handy

https://instagram.com/gymstuffuk?igshid=1raxdrn4ny48i

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Anyone know the difference between the set above and this one?
    https://shop.eleiko.com/en-ie/equipment/dumbbells/rotating/3062827-eleiko-loadable-dumbbell-set-vulcano-40-kg

Also are the plates/weights listed anywhere - I couldn't see any detail under the specs section or description but might be looking in the wrong place. - Am I right that it's 40kg per DB not in total (20 each)?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think the black ones are coated in plastic.

These are other ones in the "vulcano" range.

https://www.eleiko.com/en/p/eleiko-vulcano-dumbbells/194#gs.6fsi5g
    Eleiko’s Vulcano Dumbbells provide a convenient way to quickly add resistance and load a wide variety of exercises. A gently sloped comfortable handle is knurled to provide a secure grip. The dumbbells are extremely durable, constructed from a sturdy polyurethane that is twice as strong as rubber and odour free. Our smart moulding manufacturing process prevents cracks and breaks and coupled with our quality polyurethane minimize signs of wear and tear. Dumbbells are sold individually or in sets, and range from 1 kg to 40 kg, with weights easily identified by prominent white weight increment markings. Dumbbells are sold individually.

Thanks rubadub I might email them - they could do with a few more details on this site given they are a considered purchase tbh!

Thanks rubadub I might email them
    it also says
    Weight
    85,8 kg

so that must be 2x40kg and packaging.

At that price you would want to be sure! I'd be checking for reviews. And they could well be cheaper elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

rubadub wrote: »
    it also says
    Weight
    85,8 kg

At that price you would want to be sure! I'd be checking for reviews. And they could well be cheaper elsewhere.

Plates come to 75kg. The two handles are 5kg each (I thought they were 2.5kg each but if you zoom in on the image you can see they end of the handle was 5 kg / 11 lb). The collars are likely the 0.8kg

rubadub wrote: »
    it also says
    Weight
    85,8 kg

Thanks Alf & Rubadub - not sure anywhere else has them tbh. Will have a think about it, but it's a lifelong purchase I guess.

Really only need 20-25kg each side max tbh but not sure there is an option at that level anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

Thanks Alf & Rubadub - not sure anywhere else has them tbh. Will have a think about it, but it's a lifelong purchase I guess.

Really only need 20-25kg each side max tbh but not sure there is an option at that level anywhere.

Same. Wouldn't need more than 25kg per dumbbell but that option not there.
    i'm sure quality is grand but it's a lot of money for dumbbells.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

You can buy the handles and discs separately. Not sure I'd go Eleiko for adjustable dumbbells though.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

For anyone still interested in building their own weight bench, Steve Ramsey built one a few weeks ago as part of his Lockdown daily woodworking series. Just needs a few 4x2's and some plywood or similar.

It's spread over four days, but the videos are short. Based on plans from https://www.instructables.com/id/Weight-Bench-5-positionFlatIncline-doubles-as-/

And a couple of weeks later, there was a follow-up video with some fine tuning:

DylanJM wrote: »
    You can buy the handles and discs separately. Not sure I'd go Eleiko for adjustable dumbbells though.

Thanks I just noticed that - with 4 less 5 plates (40 euro each) so a max of 32.5 each side, it is about 90 euro cheaper if you buy it separately (including 2 sets of collars that look similar enough though not identical but I imagine they would fit) - probably worth the extra 90 for the extra 4s for absolute future proofing (use for RDLs or whatever) I guess if you are spending 1k!

Why would you not go for eleiko dumbbells Dylan - is there anything else you would recommend in that side of things?

Thanks I just noticed that - with 4 less 5 plates (40 each) it is about 90 euro cheaper if you buy it separately (including 2 sets of collars that look similar enough though not identical but I imagine they would fit) - probably worth the extra 90 for the extra 4s for absolute future proofing (use for RDLs or whatever) I guess if you are spending 1k!

Why would you not go for eleiko dumbbells Dylan - is there anything else you would recommend in that side of things?

Just a lot of money for what you are getting. I know places are out of stock atm but cheap cast iron plates and cheap olympic handles can be got much cheaper than from Eleiko. Could even get a few pairs of the most commonly used fixed DB weights for that price.

Also if you don't have any equipment already the first things on your list should be a barbell, plates, a squat rack and bench imo. DBs come after you have all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

DylanJM wrote: »
    Also if you don't have any equipment already the first things on your list should be a barbell, plates, a squat rack and bench imo. DBs come after you have all that.

Priorities for equipment are space dependent. I'd be getting DBs before racks.

Space is the issue - I live in a small apartment with no garden/outdoor space/shed options. I just don't have the room so it's down to stuff like bands, and making the most of other stuff that can be used in multiple ways e.g. a few key KBs or DBs.

Trust me, I would LOVE a rack and some plates if I could fit them anywhere but I would probably have to sleep under the rack in order to fit it in. Not a bad option it must be said and will consider it at this point :D:D

Space is the issue - I live in a small apartment with no garden/outdoor space/shed options. I just don't have the room so it's down to stuff like bands, and making the most of other stuff that can be used in multiple ways e.g. a few key KBs or DBs.

Trust me, I would LOVE a rack and some plates if I could fit them anywhere but I would probably have to sleep under the rack in order to fit it in. Not a bad option it must be said and will consider it at this point :D:D

In that case I'd try and figure out what DBs weights you are most likely to need and try and find fixed DBs. You would likely be able to buy multiple pairs of fixed DBs for less than that Eleiko set if you shop around. Problem is finding them in stock atm however.

It'd be like buying a ferrari to haul turf around a field!

When I saw the price I thought you were either totally minted and/or big into your weights, if you reckon you only need 20-25kg per side you sound more like myself, just casual lifting. I have no room nor want for a squat rack. I have lots of bog standard cast iron plates that do me fine.

I was saying in other threads you should ask around friends, colleagues, relatives if they have any weights. Load of lads I know bought sets of weights in their teens or early 20s, there are literally millions of tons of unused plates sitting in houses around the world.

I wondered if any place would be renting them.

Thanks for the input guys - it is a considered purchase alright!

I guess it's just I spent €650 on a second hand spin bike a couple of years ago and it has repaid me back and more tbh, so with stock being minimal everywhere etc. I'm happy to pay a bit more for a quality purchase that's for the next 20 years or whatever, especially if it is exactly what you're looking for.

Rubadub, I'm not really a casual lifter tbh - would normally be in the gym 6 days a week and adore it, guess I'm just weak! :o

• Advertisement

https://watsongym.co.uk/product-category/dumbbells-and-barbells/

Some cheaper handles and plates at the above link. Might need to confirm if in stock though. It's allowing me to add them to the cart but I'd be double checking with them if it was me.

Thanks Dylan - really helpful. Added 2 handles (5kg each I'd say), 65kg set of plates and 2 sets of collars - prices are ex VAT, and delivery to Ireland is £155 :eek:, so actually the price comes in at £720 ish = €815 versus €1100 delivered for the eleiko set (85kg).

Saving €280 which is not to be sniffed at (providing they have them in stock). Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

dublindumbells on instagram https://www.instagram.com/dublindumbbells/?hl=en selling shop made dumbbells

set of 5 = 50
    set of 10 =75
    set of 15 = 95
    set of 20 = 115

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭totothejuggler

Why don't you try this? I sware the Adds on donedeal and adverts are getting more and more rediculous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

The cheapest I found, is from amazon, for 33E delivered. I am looking for the ones, shown in the pics with the attatchments aswel. Has anyone found any cheaper then this, if so could you please share.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

The cheapest I found, is from amazon, for 33E delivered. I am looking for the ones, shown in the pics with the attatchments aswel. Has anyone found any cheaper then this, if so could you please share.

Thanks

Do you reckon that he build that body naturally with those bands?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

robinbird wrote: »
    Do you reckon that he build that body naturally with those bands?

Lol no, but they are better then nothing, I sure as hell don't feel like paying over the top for weights or bench. Will just try to do some homeworkouts until the gyms open or the local stores start offering excercise equipment.

The cheapest I found, is from amazon, for 33E delivered.
    you would want to be sure these are not going to be "drop shipped" from China and could take months to arrive.

Thanks

Discount supplements in Dublin have those in stock now - saw it in their newsletter yesterday
    https://www.discountsupplements.ie/ds-resistance-band-set.html

Not sure how good they are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

More gouging there, same images and all off the Chinese sellers.

Advertisement