Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call the Guards or no?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

maxsmum wrote: »
    Ha, my hubby is the one who wants to report them, he's fuming! It's me who's wondering if he's right.
    The other thing I said to him is, the Guards surely have better things to be doing, or maybe I am watching too much Guards in the K!

While in the grand scheme of things I'm "fuming" with the amount of people going to parks etc

On this one. i'd probably leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Notsomindful

I've noticed neighbours having people over recently. Last night two sets had people call over with beers, sitting out and enjoying the evening sun. I have a kid out of school and two of us trying to juggle work at home around this. We haven't seen anyone outside the home in nearly a month and it's causing a lot of tension at home, though we know its temporary. I also know someone who couldn't go to a family funeral or say goodbye to a grandparent dying because of the restrictions. So it really makes me annoyed to see other people flouting the restrictions because they aren't affected.
    My husband reckons now that Garda regulations are enforceable (so i understand it) we should be reporting them. I am hesitant - I feel if we are doing our bit, then we should mind our own business. I wouldn't want neighbours thinking it was us either. What do others think?

We are seeing similar, keeping our children in etc.. since school closed. I have a very close relative dying of cancer and like you mentioned OP, we wont get to see her alive again or go to her funeral.
    It drives me mad seeing everyone going on as normal - with no regard for others.
    I wouldnt report them- our current attitude is to avoid most neighbours as we know they arent following lockdown.
    My partner keeps saying hopefully natural selection will do its job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

We are seeing similar, keeping our children in etc.. since school closed. I have a very close relative dying of cancer and like you mentioned OP, we wont get to see her alive again or go to her funeral.
    It drives me mad seeing everyone going on as normal - with no regard for others.
    I wouldnt report them- our current attitude is to avoid most neighbours as we know they arent following lockdown.
    My partner keeps saying hopefully natural selection will do its job.

Have to say the natural selection thing interests me too,
    and does make me wonder and ask bigger questions of what is really going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

endainoz wrote:
    Some neighbours ye are. I would say to each their own.

Some of the posts in here illustrate exactly why we will have more deaths and have to live with this virus for longer than we should have

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

One of our neighbours had a bereavement over the weekend - you will have seen it in the papers - and has been holding court all weekend. She might as well have put a revolving door on her house with the amount of people in and out. 5 or 6 cars parked outside the house at any one time. Hugging each other in the driveway and getting back into their cars, heading to shops and back to the house again with shopping etc. AGS did a couple of drive by's and went along their merry way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The cops are busy enough I would say without having to pander to every "neighbour" in the country who is afraid of letting their own community know what they think is right or wrong.

Use your phone and ring them and let them know how you feel about what they are doing. It might not be pleasant but at least you are being civil about it and your neighbour will respect you for being straight with them. You might also get told to phuck off... but then you will know where you stand with them.

The cops will not be making any house calls on a small group of 6 or 8 adults sharing a drink or two, curfew or no curfew. They have things to be doing.

The lockdown rules are there to facilitate the Gards in handling persons who are basically taking the piss. For example if 50 or 100 odd people decide to have a birthday in a house etc etc. They haven't the time or resources to be knocking on doors dealing with every snoots beck and call.

Get real op. You are being asked to do your side of the bargain, do it. What your neighbours get up to is their business.

This virus will not be getting any worse than it is because your neighbours had 4 people around for a drink in their back garden.

That is of course unless they are carriers of the disease. Which no one knows if they are or not.

You'll then have two new clusters.

Would I report them? For purely practical reasons of preserving local peace, I probably wouldn't. There are few things worse than having an enemy for a neighbour. It would colour my opinion of them in future though, and I wouldn't have the time off day for them due to their selfish, irresponsible behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Billhook

Maybe ask your husband to have a word with the man of the neighbouring house,
    Men are far more civilized and reasonable in situations such as this.

Ohhh noooo, don't start a gender equality thread...
    Im bad enough to derail it with my Doors lyrics

This will not be good.

Out with the popcorn and Witcher sitting behind me, watching... Staring... Burning my soul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

limnam wrote: »
    While in the grand scheme of things I'm "fuming" with the amount of people going to parks etc

On this one. i'd probably leave it.

Yeah, and that's what everyone is doing... they're just "leaving it"... someone else's problem. Keep the head down, mind your own business!

If enough people do this, then people get the message that we don't have to follow the rules.

Then we have a big death toll, and we'll have to spend the entire summer trying to get this monster under control. Maybe even into next autumn and winter - where it might spring back with a vengeance into the cold & flu season!

This isn't about being a sound neighbour. This is about doing the right thing to save people's lives. If you want this thing to drag out even longer, and more people do die... then just keep ignoring all the selfish people who don't give a fcuk!

These people are only a minority of the population, but there is enough of them to do a lot of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Yeah, my thinking is, the authorities surely have some magic number or figure we have to hit stats-wise until this is over. The lads next door and others like them are just delaying us. I don't actually want to have to live with neighbours for the rest of my life thinking we are arseholes though.
    Would you rather be kept in lockdown longer? I imagine they'll be whingeing about lockdown if it gets extended as well. They may be a pain in the future, just remind they would have been in lockdown longer if it weren't for you.

The neighbourly thing to do here is for them to stop being selfish. Its unfortunate if they get pissy with you later on but we all have to follow the rules. This is messing up everyone's life. No-one should flout the rules, even bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Dammo wrote: »
    They’ll eventually figure it out once it’s over and people start talking again. They may not be able to prove it but that won’t change the fact that they’ll resent them forever.

That depends a lot on the local dynamics and politics. I know for a fact that if I called the guards on several of my neighbors they would all variously blame each other or one specific malcontent on the road, and nothing would persuade them otherwise because they made their minds up about each other years ago.

I wouldn't even come into their minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I would feel the same as you op but thread very carefully. You never know how vindictive people can be and you could end up paying dearly. If you got on well with them before this then I would be inclined to leave things be. I know of situations where people had to sell up and move house because neighbours didn't take kindly to reasonable requests, and the guards weren't involved at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Ohio9

I can guarantee you that curtain twitchers love these types of events. 100% sure. Nothing better than reporting someone.
    Never, ever living in a location that has neighbors. I'll take my house in the countryside, thank you. Won't have to worry about rats. The punching that would commenced were I found it that one of my neighbours reported me, would be a lengthy prison term type. I'd enjoy every second of it, there would be nothing left to bury afterwards unfortunately. One of the scum would be taken of the earth at least. Life worth as much as a regular knife wielding robbing scumbag in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The cops are busy enough I would say without having to pander to every "neighbour" in the country who is afraid of letting their own community know what they think is right or wrong.

Use your phone and ring them and let them know how you feel about what they are doing. It might not be pleasant but at least you are being civil about it and your neighbour will respect you for being straight with them. You might also get told to phuck off... but then you will know where you stand with them.

The cops will not be making any house calls on a small group of 6 or 8 adults sharing a drink or two, curfew or no curfew. They have things to be doing.

The lockdown rules are there to facilitate the Gards in handling persons who are basically taking the piss. For example if 50 or 100 odd people decide to have a birthday in a house etc etc. They haven't the time or resources to be knocking on doors dealing with every snoots beck and call.

Get real op. You are being asked to do your side of the bargain, do it. What your neighbours get up to is their business.

This virus will not be getting any worse than it is because your neighbours had 4 people around for a drink in their back garden.

Your user name is so apt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭houseplant

Ohio9 wrote: »
    I can guarantee you that curtain twitchers love these types of events. 100% sure. Nothing better than reporting someone.
    Never, ever living in a location that has neighbors. I'll take my house in the countryside, thank you. Won't have to worry about rats. The punching that would commenced were I found it that one of my neighbours reported me, would be a lengthy prison term type. I'd enjoy every second of it, there would be nothing left to bury afterwards unfortunately. One of the scum would be taken of the earth at least. Life worth as much as a regular knife wielding robbing scumbag in Dublin.
    Quaking in my boots here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Ha, my hubby is the one who wants to report them, he's fuming! It's me who's wondering if he's right.
    The other thing I said to him is, the Guards surely have better things to be doing, or maybe I am watching too much Guards in the K!

Better things than possibly saving peoples lives? I doubt it.

Call the Gardai your neighbours won't know it was you and you'll be doing society a favour. This isn't a time to be sitting on the fence on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Your user name is so apt.

You beat me to it....🙈

houseplant wrote: »

Send location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

REALLY??

I thought the lockdown was really put in place to prevent the spread of this Virus?

The restrictions are to benefit us all in the long term. Jesus the out and out complacency of people is shocking.

Send location.

Your moms house

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

All the conspiracy theorists are out in force on this thread. Its temporary and for the good of the entire population. As was said earlier, the longer the idiots keep having parties, the longer we will all be told to stay in our homes. I want to get out and get back to normal asap.
    But equally from the OP

How much do they know about their neighbours visitors lives ?

Visitors, exactly. If we want to stop this and get back to something resembling life, muppets like the OP's neighbours and you need to cop on.

• Advertisement

Your moms house

Coward, thought as much.

Coward, thought as much.

I'd say that keyboard of yours is taking an awful beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'd say he typed that one handed

I'm not the one pulling my curtains in fear of getting infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

I was angry at the government for not implementing a lockdown sooner.

But reading this thread and others I realise how thick/selfish/narcissistic people are and that the government was likely forced to drip feed restrictions to prevent public outcry.

What I don't understand is why, with all the increased scientific data and evidence from other countries affected, all the simplified language used and infographics at our disposal, some people still don't get it. Everyone should be behaving as if they have the virus because regardless of whether symptoms exist, without a test, it's possible they have it.

Go out = people dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Coward, thought as much.

55e8df57dac3d.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

It's mad how many Irish are chomping at the bit to be Stasi style informants..

osarusan wrote: »
    55e8df57dac3d.jpeg

If I'm only a keyboard warrior then send location. Nothing to be afraid of.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

neckedit wrote: »
    You beat me to it....��
    Send location.
    Your moms house
    Coward, thought as much.

Mod:

@houseplant, @Ohio9 - Píssing contest is over. Both of you, don't post in the thread again.

<edit>Reduced to 24 hours. Cool off, and you're welcome to post again after 14:06 tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If I'm only a keyboard warrior then send location. Nothing to be afraid of.

this isnt Grindr

Advertisement